Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ender's Game (DVD)
$10.00
Free Birds (DVD)
$10.00
New Tricks: Season 10 (DVD)
$21.99
12 Years a Slave (DVD)
$10.00
Barbie: The Pearl Princess (DVD)
$7.00
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (DVD)
$10.00
One Direction: This is Us (DVD)
$10.00
The Wolf of Wall Street (DVD)
$10.00
Cinderella (DVD)
$13.00
Gravity (DVD)
$9.99
Raw Heat (DVD)
$6.68
The Pirate Fairy (DVD)
$13.00
Upstairs, Downstairs: The Complete Series - 40th Anniversary Collection (DVD)
$63.99
Lewis Black: Old Yeller: Live at the Borgata (DVD)
$8.89
Enough Said (DVD)
$10.00
Mr Jones (DVD)
$11.98
Planes (DVD)
$13.00
The Gabby Douglas Story (DVD)
$9.96
Regular Show: Mordecai & Margaret Pack (DVD)
$9.90

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 02-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
Power Member

Oct 2008
USA The Black Book (aka Reign of Terror) 1949 Sony MOD

This Anthony Mann/John Alton Costume Noir was released in January.

For screen cap comparison aficianados, check out the two illustrating Glenn Kinney's blog. Source elements can make all the difference!

Man I wish we had some John Alton in Hi-Def!
US/UK films that need to be on blu-ray:My Darling Clementine (1946, Ford), Out of the Past (1947, Tourneur), Thunderheart (1992, Apted) , Lone Star (1996, Sayles)

Foreign films that need to be on blu-ray:
Raise The Red Lantern (1991, Zhang), The Best of Youth (2003, Giordana), Still Life (2006, Jia), 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007, Mungiu)
Old 08-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #2

Jun 2011
Australia

Hey TJS,
The Black Book print on demand is surprisingly good, some print damage to be sure but excellent contrast and enough detail to actually pick up film grain. It's a terrific little film too.
I have the early Mann/Alton noirs, T-Men and Raw Deal through Sony. The picture quality is really quite poor, but both films are excellent and you soon get caught up in them.
The John Sturges, Alton shot Mystery Street is available as part of a noir box set and it's one of my favourites in the collection, with the great Ricardo Montalban in what shoulda been the first of a series of 50s CSI movies.
I actually became aware of John Alton's work when I found out about a fairly rare instance of color film noir called Slightly Scarlet. The French Carlotta edition is apparently the best available in the world, but it only comes as part of an Allan Dwan box set. Fortunately the others, Silver Lode, Passion, Cattle Queen of Montana, Escape from Burma, Pearl of the South Pacific, and Tennessee's Partner were all shot by Alton, and the picture quality is generally very good (for DVDs!), even if the films themselves vary wildly in quality from excellent to pretty darn good, though I must admit I didn't make it all the way through Pearl of the South Pacific.
Finally, looks like we're both about to get our wish fulfilled, as The Big Combo is coming soon to blu-ray!
Cheers CB
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies