Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$92.19
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Manhunter (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$25.87
Gamera HD Bundle Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
A Certain Magical Index II: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$43.99
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Which set are you buying?
US set 252 28.03%
Canadian set 16 1.78%
UK set (standard) 389 43.27%
UK set (coffin) 209 23.25%
German set (standard) 5 0.56%
German set (coffin) 4 0.44%
French set (coffin) 10 1.11%
Australian set (standard) 6 0.67%
Swedish set (standard) 3 0.33%
Swedish set (coffin) 5 0.56%
Voters: 899. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #221
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestJohn View Post
I said classic tongue in cheek. This one ain't got a shot. They were actually prehistoric mollusks. It's a United Artist film / released by MGM on DVD. So not a Universal property. This is a straight B-flick ... haven't seen this one since I was a kid.
Oh well! I just assumed it might have been part of Universal since it appeared on that other poster's artwork. I guess, for now, the stroll down memory lane will have to suffice. Maybe I'll pick up the dvd, although it will be the first dvd I've purchased in quite some time! Thank you for the info!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #222
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Deep in the jungle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
Awesome stuff! I'm a huge fan of resin statues and that looks fantastic for the price. A couple questions:
1) Are you going to paint it, or have it painted?
2) Did it come with any sort of Certificate of Authenticity?
I'm definitely going to paint it. I've thought about bronzing it via paint app...I'm also considering photo-realistic in either B&W or color (still can't decide).

No cert at all....in fact, the plaque is a recast. But the original creator didn't have a license to the FM logo, and this is an excellent copy (I don't mind; it's all good to me....just glad to finally get one of these).

But the signature? I have several already, which I obtained myself on several occasions where Forrest was a convention guest. Knowing how "feathered" and artistic his handwriting is/was, I'm 99% certain it's legit. I plan on covering the signature verrrry carefully before I prime this piece.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #223

Nov 2010

Has there been anymore romurs, news on this box set?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #224
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011

Hopefully some new info will be coming soon but I wouldn't be shocked if the release(s) were August-mid October. Late September would be my best guess. I'm really hoping we hear more about a US release for the Hammer Horror films, personally. I'm a fan of both but I dug the hell out of those films a few years back when I recorded them on TCM.
DVD Aficionado - quickdraw_ltd's DVD Collection

Bedroom Theater
Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E3 42-Inch
Sony PlayStation 3 160GB
VIZIO VSB200
Old 02-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #225

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Q View Post
Hopefully some new info will be coming soon but I wouldn't be shocked if the release(s) were August-mid October. Late September would be my best guess. I'm really hoping we hear more about a US release for the Hammer Horror films, personally. I'm a fan of both but I dug the hell out of those films a few years back when I recorded them on TCM.
I would be shocked if the Universals were not released as a Halloween promotion. For the past few years, those releases have been announced over the summer, with maybe a couple of surprises announced in the beginning of September.

I'm also pretty giddy over the forthcoming Hammers. I'd wager we'll get Horror of Dracula, The Mummy, and Curse of Frankenstein this year. I'd be surprised if any of Warner's second-tier Hammers get released this year, but would also love to see them.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #226

Jan 2012
hawaii
Send a message via Yahoo to Rich1983

What I don't understand about Universal is that they are releasing a little collection of monster classics (Dracula, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Creature from the Black Lagoon) on DVD next month. Why would they do that and then make a Blu-ray set of Dracula, Spanish Dracula, Frankenstein, and Bride of Frankenstein? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. They simply need to Blu-ray the six legacy collections.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #227
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Q View Post
I'm really hoping we hear more about a US release for the Hammer Horror films, personally.
We should soon be learning who the US distributor(s) will be. I'm also looking forward to those. 2012 looks promising for classic horror.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #228

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1983 View Post
What I don't understand about Universal is that they are releasing a little collection of monster classics (Dracula, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Creature from the Black Lagoon) on DVD next month. Why would they do that and then make a Blu-ray set of Dracula, Spanish Dracula, Frankenstein, and Bride of Frankenstein? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. They simply need to Blu-ray the six legacy collections.
Well, do we know if those discs are flippers? Could be getting rid of excess stock. Either way- I'm sure there are plenty of non-blu buyers that will snap something like that up if they see it at Walmart of Costco.

While I'd love nothing more than for Universal to release the entire Legacy sets with all the sequels, I'm not counting on it. I'm still betting on the top tier titles (including The Mummy and The Wolf Man and maybe The Invisible Man and The Creature) on blu without any more restoration than has already been done. Sequels will follow next year. Just a guess.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #229
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
A fanboy can dream, can't he?
I'd love it if they found all the trims missing. When I first saw it in late night tv when i was a kid I thought oh it's cut for TV commercials (like many movies are) never thinking that the movie was that way

At least now that I know what's missing it makes the viewing more enjoyable.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #230

Jan 2012
hawaii
USA

I look all over the internet and this website and read about all the amazing franchise films coming to Blu-ray like Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and Terminator 2, and those are all amazing films. However, I do not think any of those films are as worthy as the Universal Monsters to have a nice Blu-ray release. I can not wait to hear some new news on what we are going to get this year. Specs, packaging pics, news, anything. The wait is driving me crazy. The Universal Monsters are more worthy of Blu-ray releases then any other film or film franchise hands down. I want to know what is going on with this release.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #231

Jan 2012
hawaii
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydood View Post
Well, do we know if those discs are flippers? Could be getting rid of excess stock. Either way- I'm sure there are plenty of non-blu buyers that will snap something like that up if they see it at Walmart of Costco.

While I'd love nothing more than for Universal to release the entire Legacy sets with all the sequels, I'm not counting on it. I'm still betting on the top tier titles (including The Mummy and The Wolf Man and maybe The Invisible Man and The Creature) on blu without any more restoration than has already been done. Sequels will follow next year. Just a guess.
They are not flippers. It is a four disc set. They are the exact discs originally released in 1999. That means this release was just to sell off old stock, which to be fair, was ALL of their new DVD releases with the 100 year logo on top of them.

This DVD set is a good set for a young person who has never seen these films because you get five films (it also inclused the Spanish version of Dracula) for a very good price. It is a nice introduction release.

Though for people like us, I really would love some official word from Universal about their Blu-ray release already.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #232

Apr 2012

Quote:
I would be shocked if the Universals were not released as a Halloween promotion. For the past few years, those releases have been announced over the summer, with maybe a couple of surprises announced in the beginning of September.

I'm also pretty giddy over the forthcoming Hammers. I'd wager we'll get Horror of Dracula, The Mummy, and Curse of Frankenstein this year. I'd be surprised if any of Warner's second-tier Hammers get released this year, but would also love to see them.
I haven't heard that the Hammer films are being released in the US. Do you have a link for this?

To keep this thread on topic: I can't wait for the BD release of BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, my all time favorite movie!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #233
Special Member

Aug 2010

Hammer has stated multiple times that they'll be announcing the name(s) of the US distributor once everything is set (contracts, etc). Their blog is the best place to keep up.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #234
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
AMITY ISLAND

Quote:

TCM is showing Dracula, Mummy, wolfman , and Frankenstein as part of the TCM film fest in Hollywood in 2 weeks however they are not restorations or even in the main house. They are 35 mm prints, in fact they are the only movies being shown that are not restorations, and they are being shown in the smallest capacity house in the theatres complex. Every other year TCM has been where the restorations of classic films have been premiered. I guess they could still be released this year on bd, but i wouldnt count on it atleast not bd's featuring restorations.

For the last 3 years every major classic film thats had a brand new full blown restoration, has premiered that Restoration at the TCM fest, from King Kong, to kill a mockingbird, North By Northwest, Metropolis, Citizen Kane, the list goes on and on.
This year they are premiering the restorations of Cabaret, Rio Bravo, 20,000 Leagues under the sea, Vertigo,Grand Illussion,Singing IN the Rain, The Longest Day, Call Her Savage, The Scarlet Empress, two for the road.

Last edited by WJWS Channel 13:Amity; 04-01-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #235

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
Hammer has stated multiple times that they'll be announcing the name(s) of the US distributor once everything is set (contracts, etc). Their blog is the best place to keep up.
Thanks for the info!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #236

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
Thanks, bgart.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #237
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Detroit, MI ~ USA

Quote:

If you read the first post its stated that they are supposed to be released during the Halloween season
MY FAVORITE BD I OWN : A Trip To The Moon (STEELBOOK)

MY 'SALE THREAD'
** thread updated 4-JUNE-2014 **
Old 04-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #238

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSquirreL View Post
If you read the first post its stated that they are supposed to be released during the Halloween season
Yeah, I read that and that was also my point. These haven't been actually announced yet, and traditionally Universal has announced the monster titles at the end of summer for an October release.

The only time they haven't was with the Dracula/Frankenstein/Wolfman Legacy giftsets that came with mini-busts and were released in April of 2004 to promote Van Helsing. I think we agree?
Old 04-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #239
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by backgroundactorman View Post
I guess they could still be released this year on bd, but i wouldnt count on it atleast not bd's featuring restorations.
A) That leaked Universal schedule has them down for Oct and it's proven to be pretty accurate so far.

B) The Classic Creatures were featured pretty prominently in that restoration featurette that's on the 100th Anniversary releases (and is available online).

Obviously we won't know until we know but the glass looks at least half-full.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 04-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #240
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
AMITY ISLAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSquirreL View Post
Rumored lol, I honestly believe if these were indeed going to be seen this year, we would be getting the premirere of these new restorations at the TCM fest in 2 weeks and not the 35 mm showprints.
Its been Universals (as well WB, Sony) to premiere there restorations at TCM fest as i mention in my post above, I really think the fact that they are showing the 35mm showprints and not the DCP of these movies is very telling.

We might see some sort of release come Halloween but dont expect any kind of restoration. But who knows maybe durring the Q&A durring these films it will be brought up and mentioned that they are comming to BD this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
A) That leaked Universal schedule has them down for Oct and it's proven to be pretty accurate so far.

B) The Classic Creatures were featured pretty prominently in that restoration featurette that's on the 100th Anniversary releases (and is available online).

Obviously we won't know until we know but the glass looks at least half-full.
Thats why i said perhaps some sort of BD release but not an actual full blown restoration.
Universal has premiered most if not all of their classic restorations at TCM fest over the last few years, and these are being shown but they are 35mm showprints, (so they will still look great but they definately arent newly restored)

Last edited by WJWS Channel 13:Amity; 04-01-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
dracula, frankenstein, invisble, sequels, wolfman