Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Slayers: Season 4 & 5 (Blu-ray)
$36.12
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 02-21-2012, 04:17 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmort View Post
Thanks Tommy.

According to my Epson user's guide, on page 37 under brightness control, it says:

"To save power and extend the life of the lamp, select the low brightness setting".

I have read several times in different places that it is rated to 4000 hours in either mode, but that seems to contradict this statement.

I also read in some threads over at AVS, that using high altitude mode makes the fan run more, which in turn helps the lamp run cooler, and last longer. I have been using this, and from where I have it located, it doesn't bother me at all. What do you think of that?

I also used the auto iris for a few days, then tried it on and off. It does seem to help black levels a tiny bit, but I'm afraid that if it's a moving part, then it could wear out and make the projector break down. I have read of people having to repair their projector because of auto iris breakdowns. It caused the projector to quit working altogether. What do you think about that?

Thanks for all of your input and help. If I ask too many questions and bug you, just ignore me for a few days.
Well im not saying it might give you a bit of extra hours but not a 1000 hours or such that some other projectors offer. That's properly also why epson doesn't advertise any real numbers.

High altitude mode is used i believe only for places were the air is very thin/dry and it should make a great deal more noise so not the best if you already think it's making enough noise.

The iris cheat in order too get the blacks better. Closing in on itself when a dark scene is playing. Gives you a bit more performance in blacks when there's a dark scene but also adds too the noise. For normal tv viewing most folks turn it off i believe.

Personally i like the low lamp mode for the little less noise and when the lamp begins too dim i'll change too the full lamp mode too keep it bright enough for the last hours.

Sorry im very tired so my post might look funny. If takes some work too correct my "danish english" hehe.
PJ: JVC DLA-X30 (w/ DVDO iScan Duo, i1 Display Pro & Darbee DVP5000), Elite Spectrum 125" Speakers: B&W CMC2, 2x CM9, 2x CM5, 2x SVS SB12-NSD, 3x Clark TST209 Bluray Player: Denon DBP-4010UD AV Reciever/Amp: Denon AVR-4311 (w/ MultEQ Pro, FBQ1000 & Premium + Dayton EMM-6), Dayton SA240-B
Old 02-21-2012, 04:49 AM   #22
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
Knoxville,TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
You're off to a good start. Once the dust settles you'll be back to sitting on your ass enjoying BD.com. That's what we all do, well me at least.

About your pj bulb. I doubt you'll get 4000 hrs out of it. Even if you do, the picture will more than likely be quite dim. Now you might not notice it because you see it everyday. To use something you're familiar with, if you put a frog (see how I worked that in) into boiling water, he'll jump right out. Now if you put a frog (twice now) into room temperature water and gradually bring it to a boil, he'll stay in and you'll have frog legs for dinner. I'm currently over 2800 hrs on my bulb. I was using the 'normal' lamp setting up until about 2000 hrs or so. I've since been using the 'high' lamp mode. Which does cause the fan to run more. I do have a brand new replacement lamp waiting, but I'm a cheap SOB and want to get the last bit of life from my current lamp. That's not to say the picture is getting too dim. Refer to my aforementioned frog (third time) story.

Lol. Did I make any sense with that rambling? i started out with an idea then not sure where I went with it.
S'up Wabo!
Yeah I get what you're saying. If it's something you see every day, you're probably not going to notice one or two lumens less over time, but by the time you do notice it, your goose(or frog) is almost cooked.

If you look at where my pj is on that shelf in the closet, it doesn't make hardly any noise at all that I can hear, unless the movie gets extremely quiet, and even then just barely, so I'm not worried about the noise, my main concern is just squeezing every last bit of life out of my bulb that I can, because I'm a cheap SOB too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceape View Post
Well im not saying it might give you a bit of extra hours but not a 1000 hours or such that some other projectors offer. That's properly also why epson doesn't advertise any real numbers.

High altitude mode is used i believe only for places were the air is very thin/dry and it should make a great deal more noise so not the best if you already think it's making enough noise.

The iris cheat in order too get the blacks better. Closing in on itself when a dark scene is playing. Gives you a bit more performance in blacks when there's a dark scene but also adds too the noise. For normal tv viewing most folks turn it off i believe.

Personally i like the low lamp mode for the little less noise and when the lamp begins too dim i'll change too the full lamp mode too keep it bright enough for the last hours.

Sorry im very tired so my post might look funny. If takes some work too correct my "danish english" hehe.
As I mentioned up there to Wabo, where my pj is located, noise is not really a factor. I've used it in bright lamp mode with the auto iris on and the high altitude mode on, and it's still not loud enough to hear at all, most of the time. Do you use your iris? Just curious. The only reason I haven't used it lately is fear of a moving part breaking down. I'm just trying to be delicate with my first pj so it will last. I probably shouldn't worry about using the iris, and I do think it looks a little better on.

As far as how I use my pj, it's just strictly for blu-ray movies and concerts only. I use my Panny plasma in my living room for regular tv and DVDs.

I have never had any trouble at all understanding anything you've ever posted. Your english is probably better than mine, after a few adult beverages.

Don't let me keep you up man. If you feel like hanging out in some other threads or sleeping or whatever, my posts will be there to bug you tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Joe
Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #23
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Good Morning Sir

Just wanted to drop in and see how things are going
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research
SVS
Old 02-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Denmark

Quote:
S'up Wabo!
As I mentioned up there to Wabo, where my pj is located, noise is not really a factor. I've used it in bright lamp mode with the auto iris on and the high altitude mode on, and it's still not loud enough to hear at all, most of the time. Do you use your iris? Just curious. The only reason I haven't used it lately is fear of a moving part breaking down. I'm just trying to be delicate with my first pj so it will last. I probably shouldn't worry about using the iris, and I do think it looks a little better on.

As far as how I use my pj, it's just strictly for blu-ray movies and concerts only. I use my Panny plasma in my living room for regular tv and DVDs.

I have never had any trouble at all understanding anything you've ever posted. Your english is probably better than mine, after a few adult beverages.

Don't let me keep you up man. If you feel like hanging out in some other threads or sleeping or whatever, my posts will be there to bug you tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks again for all the advice.
I really don't think you'll extend the hardware much by running the fan so fast but if you aren't bothered by the noise (i am even at low) then cool.

My auto iris is set at normal. The sound it makes is kinda like coffee brewing. Here is a shot of my setting from an earlier discussion we had.

>Source<
PJ: JVC DLA-X30 (w/ DVDO iScan Duo, i1 Display Pro & Darbee DVP5000), Elite Spectrum 125" Speakers: B&W CMC2, 2x CM9, 2x CM5, 2x SVS SB12-NSD, 3x Clark TST209 Bluray Player: Denon DBP-4010UD AV Reciever/Amp: Denon AVR-4311 (w/ MultEQ Pro, FBQ1000 & Premium + Dayton EMM-6), Dayton SA240-B

Last edited by spaceape; 02-21-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:30 AM   #25
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
Knoxville,TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
Good Morning Sir

Just wanted to drop in and see how things are going
What's up man! Thanks for stopping by.

Things are going great right now, probably not so good at work tomorrow morning. I just spent about 5 hours watching the new Santana blu-ray and some of the NIN.

Here's a couple of (crappy) phone camera pics that are bright enough to show what the room looks like with something on:

Quote:
I really don't think you'll extend the hardware much by running the fan so fast but if you aren't bothered by the noise (i am even at low) then cool.

My auto iris is set at normal. The sound it makes is kinda like coffee brewing. Here is a shot of my setting from an earlier discussion we had.

[Show spoiler]

>Source<
Thanks Tommy.

I forgot that you showed me that!

Joe
Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Denmark

Quote:

Things are going great right now, probably not so good at work tomorrow morning. I just spent about 5 hours watching the new Santana blu-ray and some of the NIN.

Here's a couple of (crappy) phone camera pics that are bright enough to show what the room looks like with something on:

Thanks Tommy.

I forgot that you showed me that!

Oh that's okay. Thank you for the shots. Yes a bit fussy but we all must use whatever tools we have at our disposal.

Did you do a quick calibration or are you just running it in dynamic mode.

Last edited by spaceape; 02-22-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #27
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:

Good Morning Once again !!!!!

Hmmmmmmm That seems like a good idea ....... I haven't spun any Santana in quite some time. I think I'll go the vinyl route and maybe after I'll give these long ass concerts a spin ........

Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research
SVS
Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #28
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
Knoxville,TN

Quote:
Oh that's okay. Thank you for the shots. Yes a bit fussy but we all must use whatever tools we have at our disposal.

Did you do a quick calibration or are you just running it in dynamic mode.
I just plugged it up, selected dynamic mode, cranked everything wide open, and then jumped on my mechanical bull I have mounted in the room, and started going "Yee-Haw!!!!"

No, just kidding. I actually have about six different presets saved. I have one that's calibrated from the Disney Wow BD that I borrowed from a friend, another with the Spears & Munsil BD that I just bought a couple of weeks ago, one that I used both of those discs back and forth and then tweeked a bit more to my liking, and several others that I've messed around with.

I tried the settings from AVS by stereomandan and I also tried your settings too. Here's another one from stereomandan that I might try.

The one that I've been using the most is the one that used both calibration discs and my personal tweeks. I used Theater Black 1 on that one. I also did a few in natural.

Dang it, now you got me thinking I need to do some more calibrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
Good Morning Once again !!!!!

Hmmmmmmm That seems like a good idea ....... I haven't spun any Santana in quite some time. I think I'll go the vinyl route and maybe after I'll give these long ass concerts a spin ........

Hello again Russ!

I don't have either of those, but I have come close to getting the Hymns for Peace. Is it pretty good? What's it like?
I just bought this one yesterday:

I thought it was a great concert with great song selection and great 5.1 DTS-HD MA.
Joe
Old 02-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #29
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
I just plugged it up, selected dynamic mode, cranked everything wide open, and then jumped on my mechanical bull I have mounted in the room, and started going "Yee-Haw!!!!"

No, just kidding. I actually have about six different presets saved. I have one that's calibrated from the Disney Wow BD that I borrowed from a friend, another with the Spears & Munsil BD that I just bought a couple of weeks ago, one that I used both of those discs back and forth and then tweeked a bit more to my liking, and several others that I've messed around with.

I tried the settings from AVS by stereomandan and I also tried your settings too. Here's another one from stereomandan that I might try.

The one that I've been using the most is the one that used both calibration discs and my personal tweeks. I used Theater Black 1 on that one. I also did a few in natural.

Hello again Russ!

I don't have either of those, but I have come close to getting the Hymns for Peace. Is it pretty good? What's it like?
I just bought this one yesterday:

I thought it was a great concert with great song selection and great 5.1 DTS-HD MA.
Santana needs to get Michael Shrieve back in the band, the best drummer the band ever had IMO.

Carlos' current wife does a little drumming herself, she's pretty good too!
Old 02-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #30
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
Knoxville,TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Santana needs to get Michael Shrieve back in the band, the best drummer the band ever had IMO.

Carlos' current wife does a little drumming herself, she's pretty good too!
What's up Crimson King! Didn't you used to be Billy Jack?

Michael Shrieve is great! Have you ever heard this album:

I stumbled onto it at a music store a few years ago, I'd never heard of it, but I bought it, and it's phenomenal. It's basically two albums in one.
Joe
Old 02-23-2012, 12:42 AM   #31
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
What's up Crimson King! Didn't you used to be Billy Jack?

Michael Shrieve is great! Have you ever heard this album:

I stumbled onto it at a music store a few years ago, I'd never heard of it, but I bought it, and it's phenomenal. It's basically two albums in one.
yep, I'm the artist formerly known as BillyJack, gonna have to find a copy of that Michael Shrieve album
Old 02-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #32
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
Knoxville,TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
yep, I'm the artist formerly known as BillyJack, gonna have to find a copy of that Michael Shrieve album
The first half is with Jonas Hellborg on bass and Shawn Lane on guitar. It's more progressive rock/psychadelic.
The second half is with Bill Frisell on guitar and Wayne Horvitz on keyboard. It's more jazzy, but really weird,
in a good way.
Joe
Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Denmark

Quote:

Hehe. Sounds like you're pretty covered then. Good job.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #34
Power Member

Mar 2009
KC,MO.

Looks awesome frogmort ! I see you're still using your AA HDSUB 12,i still have mine,but i don't use it anymore.I know there were a few bad ones out there,i don't think i got one,it just never seemed to put out enough bass for my liking .
Basement ''mancave'' setup :
Sanyo PLV-1080HD Projector,Focupix 100'' manual screen,APC-H10,Onkyo 805,Emotiva XPA-3,PS- 3 slim, Polk Rti-12, Polk CS2,Polk Monitor 60(rears),PSA XV-15 Emotiva Utra Sub 12
Living room setup:
Panasonic TC-60PU54 ''60 Plasma,Onkyo 705, PS- 3 80GB(MGS4 Bundle edition)w/ upgraded 500 gb HD,Eosone RSF1000 tower speakers, Polk Fxi-5,Polk Csi-25

PSN ID: ADAPPJ28
Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 AM   #35
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
Knoxville,TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJesus74 View Post
Looks awesome frogmort ! I see you're still using your AA HDSUB 12,i still have mine,but i don't use it anymore.I know there were a few bad ones out there,i don't think i got one,it just never seemed to put out enough bass for my liking .
Thanks PurpleJesus!

I use it in tandem with my BA HPS-12HO sub. It doesn't seem to go quite as deep as the BA, and it seems to have a slightly higher resonant frequency overall, but it generally helps reinforce the LFE the BA is producing.

A few days ago, I listened to the front and back of my BA sub, and then did the same on the AA. The AA was much boomier in the midbass. I then proceeded to do a big no no. I dropped the built in crossover on the AA from wide open at about 5 o'clock, to around 2 o'clock, and it totally changed the botttom-end characteristic of the AA. I didn't just arbitrarily pick the cut-off frequency, I adjusted it, then sat in the sweet spot many times, earballing it. Everything I've learned tells me not to do this, but it sounds more balanced this way.

I couldn't imagine having a reasonably decent sub, and not using it, but 'reasonably decent' is subjective.

Then again, I'm pretty sure that Emotiva is probably nice by itself.
Joe

Last edited by frogmort; 02-24-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Denmark

What kind of speaker adjustments can be done with that sony avr? Can you play pink noise with it and adjust the speakers db? The best ofcause would be too disable or raise the subs crossover too it's maximum and then let the avr manage that but if you feel lowering it better balances your dual subs then there might be something too it.

If not maybe buy or borrow an analog radioshack spl meter, get a calibration disc with pink noise files and try tweaking the subs/speakers again.

Last edited by spaceape; 02-24-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #37
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

T G I F

Joe
AL
“If at first you don't succeed, try something easier.”

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Denon AVR-4311ci, DR-M10HX Monster HTS-5000 Outlaw Model 750
Klipsch Forte II, RC-62 II, IW-100, KSB 1.1
Velodyne VA 1012 Hsu Research ULS-15 Triple Drive
Old 02-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Denmark

Cool graphics Al.

Misa say hello too Joe.
[Show spoiler]
Old 02-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #39
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
Knoxville,TN

Quote:
What kind of speaker adjustments can be done with that sony avr? Can you play pink noise with it and adjust the speakers db? The best ofcause would be too disable or raise the subs crossover too it's maximum and then let the avr manage that but if you feel lowering it better balances your dual subs then there might be something too it.

If not maybe buy or borrow an analog radioshack spl meter, get a calibration disc with pink noise files and try tweaking the subs/speakers again.
I can adjust speaker level, distance, and crossover. Yes it has pink noise. My Boston Acoustics sub has a single LFE input that bypasses the crossover, and it actually sounds pretty great. The Acoustic Audio sub has two line level inputs, and I have a splitter going to both inputs.

The only options in my Sony avr for the single sub output(I have a splitter there too, obviously), is distance and level, so there's really nothing I can do in the avr to improve just one of the two subs.

I have had the BA for over two years, but I just got the AA a little over a year ago, and I've always had the crossover wide open on it, and I've been very happy with them.

I just started playing around with the AA crossover a few days ago, and like I said, overall the BA seems to have more bottom end heft, whereas the AA has a bit less bottom and a bit more midbass. After lowering the crossover on the back of the AA, it seemed to make it sound a little more like the BA overall. The LFE in the room seems smoother, cleaner, and has a tighter bottom end punch to it.

One thing I've thought about doing, since I'm using two different brands of 12" subs, is adding some polyfill to just the AA, which should tighten up the sound, and promote a slightly deeper bottom end, in a better way than fiddling around with the crossover.

Don't get me wrong, in my 11' wide and 12 1/2' long room(not counting the back closets) these two subs can shake the foundations of my house. Using both together, I still have plenty of reserve power on both, and they never show any signs of distortion or strain.

I really do need to get an SPL meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
T G I F

Joe
Thanks very much Al! I usually work on weekends, but this week, I'm off Thurday, Friday, and Saturday. Plus I have a pretty severe hangover today, along with a sore throat and runny nose, so that makes it all the more awesome.

Hope you have a great day buddy!

Quote:
Cool graphics Al.

Misa say hello too Joe.
[Show spoiler]
Hey Tommy! Jar-Jar, I get it.

Meesa soo smilin' to besa seein' yousa!

Joe
Old 02-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #40
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Well that must suck Joe, I just got over my cold. Luckly it only lasted 6 days this time. On a side note I bet you could just imagine what I had to go through to get my quad subs working together.
AL
“If at first you don't succeed, try something easier.”

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Denon AVR-4311ci, DR-M10HX Monster HTS-5000 Outlaw Model 750
Klipsch Forte II, RC-62 II, IW-100, KSB 1.1
Velodyne VA 1012 Hsu Research ULS-15 Triple Drive
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries