Best PS3 Deals

Top PS3 Deals, Cheap PS3 Games!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS3)
$19.99
MLB 13: The Show (PS3)
$19.99
WWE 2K14 (PS3)
$29.99
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 (PS3)
$29.96
Diablo III (PS3)
$37.48
Payday 2 (PS3)
$19.99
The Walking Dead (PS3)
$19.99
Disney Infinity (PS3)
$54.99
Uncharted 3 (PS3)
$19.99
Dark Souls II (PS3)
$49.99
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
$39.99
Deadpool (PS3)
$19.99
Dragonball Z: Battle of Z (PS3)
$39.99
Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate (PS3)
$21.99
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (PS3)
$39.99
Prototype 2 (PS3)
$16.99
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified (PS3)
$19.99
Remember Me (PS3)
$18.35
Lego Lord of the Rings (PS3)
$14.99
Old 02-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #301
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican170 View Post
Awesome to hear!! Question, is it more like SSX Tricky/SSX3 or more like On Tour?
im hoping tricky/ssx3.....wasnt a big fan of on tour
Oh, you should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about. ~WiLLy WonKa~

PSN - Lacit
Old 02-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #302
Expert Member

Jan 2011
Columbus, Ohio

I wouldn't say it's like the others at all, it's SSX evolved, whether that's better or worse is your opinion. Another poster on another forum said this and it rang true to me (and I played a ton of SSX, every version):

Quote:
In traditional SSX games, while you were winding a spin, your character would lock down the path you were going down regardless of how the slope's curvature would try to divert you. In this SSX, as you are winding a twist, you don't lock on your path, often diverting you from the jump you were aiming at before you started winding your twist. This leads to many missed jumps due to the curves of the landscape and an overall sense of randomness. There's a reason the original designers locked you on a path when you started winding. Aiming for the jump should be like aiming down the barrel of a gun.

The second issue with the jumping is how the twisting works. In other SSX games, once you jumped after charging a twist, you were about 90% locked down to the axis you charged. This was to maintain the sense of complete control and decision making that goes before and after the jumping stage. This SSX you are about 30% locked down to the axis you charged before the jump. If you charge a backflip, but your stick is slightly twisted to the left/back, after the 1st or 2nd flip you'll be already out of your axis, just spinning randomly.

Whether these changes were intentional or not, they are major design blunders that bring down the game's primary focus.

This is why it doesn't feel like SSX.
Now I don't know if I'd call it a "BLUNDER" but it definitely feels less like you're less in control and more random insanity. I'm going to get the game but it definitely will have a steep learning curve if you're used to the old games so saying "ITS JUST LIKE THE OLD SSX GAMES!" is a bit disingenuous to someone who hasn't tried it yet.
XBox Live: Allforce
PSN: AllforcePSN
Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #303

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace17 View Post
Did the JT2 race. I suck. I barely got silver. I'll try and improve later, haven't tried the trick run yet.
Played that race for over an hour and have never won

Last edited by linkin; 02-22-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #304
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allforce View Post
I wouldn't say it's like the others at all, it's SSX evolved, whether that's better or worse is your opinion. Another poster on another forum said this and it rang true to me (and I played a ton of SSX, every version):

Now I don't know if I'd call it a "BLUNDER" but it definitely feels less like you're less in control and more random insanity. I'm going to get the game but it definitely will have a steep learning curve if you're used to the old games so saying "ITS JUST LIKE THE OLD SSX GAMES!" is a bit disingenuous to someone who hasn't tried it yet.

You are holding prewind too long. In this version the difference between a split second prewind and a 5 second prewind is nothing, they are both the same. Yes, this is different from previous games and to me it is better since it gives you more time to do other things, but it will take some adjustment for long time SSX fans. People who are docking the game for this though simply just need to get adjusted to it since it is different from previous games like you mention.

Aside from the new controls as far as this version goes, I would say it is most similar to SSX3, and in particular SSX3 backcountry. The tracks are what seem most similar to SSX3 to me, but taken to the next level It has a Tricky type character/personality/feel as well to me. The only way it is like On Tour IMO is the speed and it is actually FASTER than On Tour which was the fastest SSX game until this one.

Overall, to me, this is THE TRUE sequel to SSX 3 so many of us have been waiting for. Once you get used to the controls, this feels like SSX3 on steroids

Just my opinion so far.

Last edited by Todd Smith; 02-22-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #305
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008

Holy crap.......have you guys seen this?

Old 02-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #306
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Smith View Post
Yup.

This game will be OFF THE HOOK!!!
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #307
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
San Diego, Ca.
USA

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
Yup.

This game will be OFF THE HOOK!!!
Pfft...I do this in my daily commute to work!!
"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Launch Day PS4 1TB FW 1.62
Polk Monitor 50's Mains, CSI A4 Center, RTI A1s & 2 SVS Subs / PSN ID: Omegaice
Old 02-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #308
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008

^^^^^^^^
Old 02-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #309
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Oklahoma

Quote:
That's pretty sweet.

Anyone have tips/tricks...for anything? So I can suck less? I did 3 trick runs earlier and couldn't top 1 million. I'm obviously doing something wrong...I hope...
YNWA.

Read Hawkguy bro.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #310
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace17 View Post
That's pretty sweet.

Anyone have tips/tricks...for anything? So I can suck less? I did 3 trick runs earlier and couldn't top 1 million. I'm obviously doing something wrong...I hope...
Here is a great thread to help you out...........Todd Batty sent forum member "Tunes" a tips/tricks email that Tunes linked near the bottom of the first page.........some other great info posts as well in this thread

http://www.merqurycity.com/ssx_forum...hp?f=18&t=9791
Old 02-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #311
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Oklahoma

Quote:
Here is a great thread to help you out...........Todd Batty sent forum member "Tunes" a tips/tricks email that Tunes linked near the bottom of the first page.........some other great info posts as well in this thread

http://www.merqurycity.com/ssx_forum...hp?f=18&t=9791
Never saw that, big thanks. Went from sub-500k scores to 2 million, my highest score now is 4.2 million. I'm gettin there!

Okay so I'm better now, but I'm still doing something wrong because I hit too many duplicate tricks in super tricky. So L2+R2 is uber right? Biggest score? And are there x,o,tri and sq variations of those? It seems after about 5 or 6 tricks in super tricky, i get duplicate trick no matter what. I thought I read somewhere that dupe trick was only twice in a row, so in super tricky is any L2+R2 combo repeated a dupe? I guess I don't understand that. I mean, why would you NOT use L2+R2+something else for every trick in super tricky? That's probably a really stupid question...

Also, golded the race! Woot!
YNWA.

Read Hawkguy bro.

Last edited by Trace17; 02-23-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #312
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Savannah GA

I love the game, but hate the music so far. I really look forward to uploading my own music. The controls will take a little getting used to, but I plan on having them down quickly. I've silvered once on Trick It and I'm on 1 second behind the creators ghost on Race It!! I'll get him tomorrow after work
Movies that need to go Blu. The Ref, Open Range, Life As A House, Great Outdoors, True Lies, Joe Dirt, Maximum Overdrive, Pool Hall Junkies, Brain Candy.

T.V. shows that need to go Blu Man Vs. Wild, Survivor Man, Dirty Jobs, NHL Winter Classic 2009.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #313
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2008
Isla Nublar

Been a long time since we had a good snowboarding game.

Can't wait.
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Anybody hear that? It's a, um... It's an impact tremor, that's what it is... I'm fairly alarmed here.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #314
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2008
Newcastle UK PSN:Bageara

This game is awesome! feel free to add me SSXers! my PSN:Bageara Wooooohoooo!
PSN:Bageara

Pioneer KURO PDP-LX5090
Sony BRAVIA KDL-40W2000
Sony PS3 320gb
Old 02-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #315
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageara View Post
This game is awesome! feel free to add me SSXers! my PSN:Bageara Wooooohoooo!
See you on the slopes bud This game might finally break my Battlefield addiction
PSN: G1ggs_Spud
Battlelog: G1ggsy
BF4Stats: G1ggs_Spud
Old 02-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #316
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1ggs View Post
See you on the slopes bud This game might finally break my Battlefield addiction
Yeah so much fun! Nice change for me from shooters

Just got Gold medal in the race and silver in the tricks

Pioneer KURO PDP-LX5090
Sony BRAVIA KDL-40W2000
Sony PS3 320gb
Old 02-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #317
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Sandy Hook, CT PS3-PSNetwork ID: Pelican170 PS4-PSN Network ID: TheAngryRager

Well, i played the demo last night and I have to say I am very disappointed and I am canceling my preorder. I think its a pile of steaming garbage! lol. It is NOTHING like the old SSX's and this game seems like its dumbed down a lot. I mean, you go off huge jumps but they took out any sense of skill to do tricks. You literally just mash the stick, do a zillion trick at once while spinning as fast as a helicopter and you cant even really see the trick the boarder is doing due to it spinning so fast. After 30 minutes, i was completely bored of it, and in the old ones the tricks were the most fun. On top of this, the way you jump is dumbed down. Like mentioned above, in the old ones you had to hold "x" to lock into the jump and you would have to do this skillfully to line up your jump. This game has none of that. You can hold down the jump button and wind up the whole way down until you find a jump.. a 5 year old can do that.

On top of these things, lets mention how hard it is to actually fall lol. You can do tricks really until about you land, and some of them actually finish the trick while on the snow!!! horrible, no skill involved. You actually have to go out of your way to try and fall. And then you have your combo link, where you just hold "circle or square", so thats about the easiest thing in the world to do compared to the old ones where you had to hold back or forward on the stick while steering. At least you had some difficulty and skill to pull it off in the old one, now its as easy as hitting a button. And rail sliding?? you dont even have to balance, literally!!! and how exactly do you get onto trees and other edges, holding L2?? the linkup for it is horrible and seems glitchy to me..

It seems the only hard part of this game is trying to navigate down the jump ridden level because if you miss one your face first into another one...

Sorry for the rant, just had to give my 2 cents because i am very disappointed with this game and cant understand how they keep messing up SSX's...
PS4 500 GB
Marantz SR7002
Cambridge Soundworks
Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #318
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2008

Quote:
Well, i played the demo last night and I have to say I am very disappointed and I am canceling my preorder. I think its a pile of steaming garbage! lol. It is NOTHING like the old SSX's and this game seems like its dumbed down a lot. I mean, you go off huge jumps but they took out any sense of skill to do tricks. You literally just mash the stick, do a zillion trick at once while spinning as fast as a helicopter and you cant even really see the trick the boarder is doing due to it spinning so fast. After 30 minutes, i was completely bored of it, and in the old ones the tricks were the most fun. On top of this, the way you jump is dumbed down. Like mentioned above, in the old ones you had to hold "x" to lock into the jump and you would have to do this skillfully to line up your jump. This game has none of that. You can hold down the jump button and wind up the whole way down until you find a jump.. a 5 year old can do that.

On top of these things, lets mention how hard it is to actually fall lol. You can do tricks really until about you land, and some of them actually finish the trick while on the snow!!! horrible, no skill involved. You actually have to go out of your way to try and fall. And then you have your combo link, where you just hold "circle or square", so thats about the easiest thing in the world to do compared to the old ones where you had to hold back or forward on the stick while steering. At least you had some difficulty and skill to pull it off in the old one, now its as easy as hitting a button. And rail sliding?? you dont even have to balance, literally!!! and how exactly do you get onto trees and other edges, holding L2?? the linkup for it is horrible and seems glitchy to me..

It seems the only hard part of this game is trying to navigate down the jump ridden level because if you miss one your face first into another one...

Sorry for the rant, just had to give my 2 cents because i am very disappointed with this game and cant understand how they keep messing up SSX's...
You find it Easy? You must have a good race time and tricks score, what are they?

Pioneer KURO PDP-LX5090
Sony BRAVIA KDL-40W2000
Sony PS3 320gb
Old 02-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #319
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Sandy Hook, CT PS3-PSNetwork ID: Pelican170 PS4-PSN Network ID: TheAngryRager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageara View Post
You find it Easy? You must have a good race time and tricks score, what are they?
No, not that part. just the basics are so horrible I cant stand it. There is no variation of tricks from one person to the next. Whoever mashes the stick the most wins. Games aweful... The game may as well just be the skydiving part you do in the beginning the whole game lol. I didnt even get to try to beat any scores because i was bored with the game after 30 minutes of play...

In the old games, I found it fun to just ride down the mountain messing around with stuff and trying new things. This game is just not fun to ride down. You do the same mashing of tricks while spinning at the same speed (a zillion miles per hour) and everything looks the same and you never fall or never mess up a rail or anything, its just sooo boring. The only piece to this game that will keep you interest for a week, is just beating scores. I need more to a game than just that...
PS4 500 GB
Marantz SR7002
Cambridge Soundworks

Last edited by Pelican170; 02-23-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #320
Power Member

Jun 2008
NorCal PSN:Jenkskillnya

Quote:
No, not that part. just the basics are so horrible I cant stand it. There is no variation of tricks from one person to the next. Whoever mashes the stick the most wins. Games aweful... The game may as well just be the skydiving part you do in the beginning the whole game lol. I didnt even get to try to beat any scores because i was bored with the game after 30 minutes of play...

In the old games, I found it fun to just ride down the mountain messing around with stuff and trying new things. This game is just not fun to ride down. You do the same mashing of tricks while spinning at the same speed (a zillion miles per hour) and everything looks the same and you never fall or never mess up a rail or anything, its just sooo boring. The only piece to this game that will keep you interest for a week, is just beating scores. I need more to a game than just that...
I agree with what you said. I don't understand why they didn't make it more like coolboarders where you had real snowboarders and real equipment to buy and it actually took some thought and skill to execute tricks instead of mashing as many buttons as possible. What a let down.
TV - Panasonic TC-P65V10 & Harmony 1 Remote
Receiver - Denon 3808CI, Ipod dock - Denon ASD11R
Mains - DefTech BP7002's
Center - DefTech CLR 2500
Surrounds -DefTech BP7002's
Subwoofer - DefTech Trinity
Power Conditioner - Monster Power HTS3600
BluRay - PS4, DirecTV - HDDVR HR24D500
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3