Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$92.19
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Manhunter (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$25.87
Gamera HD Bundle Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
A Certain Magical Index II: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$43.99
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 02-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #661
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla135 View Post
How can you tell if a player has automatic resume play? My first was a Panasonic that I didn't realize did not have that.
It's not the player. It's if the disc has the feature.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #662

Jan 2012
United States

Really? I did not know that. Well for whatever reason, none of my disc seem to have that feature. Anytime I watch Batman Begins and cut the player off mid movie, I always have to find my spot again. Actually, that's with a lot of films.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #663

Jan 2012

I posted this in another thread, but I thought it was worth bringing up here as well as another possibility.

I have not been able to personally verify this because I don't have any non-Region A Blu-rays, but someone at DVDTalk posted this information about the Panasonic DMP-BD60:

Quote:
All the information I have found on the internet has indicated that this player can only play Region B and C discs with a mod chip, with no remote solutions available. This is not the case!

All you need to do is load up the disc. When the message pops up that says the disc will only play in a Region B or C player pops up, press "stop" on the remote control. Then press "1" on the remote, followed by "enter." This will bypass the message and load up the disc to play normally.

Hard to believe that there's such a simple solution available. I'm assuming this works on the DMP-BD80 as well and possibly other Panasonic player.
Someone else posted that it worked on his DMP-BDT210, which is a 3D player (and the one I have). Others said it worked on the BD85 and BDT100 as well. This trick apparently does NOT work for DVDs for other regions.

Like I said, I personally have not had a chance to verify that this works on my DMP-BDT210, but this trick could be the answer we've been looking for.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #664
Special Member

Apr 2011
Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
I posted this in another thread, but I thought it was worth bringing up here as well as another possibility.

I have not been able to personally verify this because I don't have any non-Region A Blu-rays, but someone at DVDTalk posted this information about the Panasonic DMP-BD60:

Someone else posted that it worked on his DMP-BDT210, which is a 3D player (and the one I have). Others said it worked on the BD85 and BDT100 as well. This trick apparently does NOT work for DVDs for other regions.

Like I said, I personally have not had a chance to verify that this works on my DMP-BDT210, but this trick could be the answer we've been looking for.
I have the 210 and some region b blus....I'll give it a shot tonight. only thing that has me worried is the conversion from 50 to 60hrz. Ill report in the morning
"A smart man knows his limits
A great man knows he has none"---Court Dog
Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #665

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeesmay View Post
I have the 210 and some region b blus....I'll give it a shot tonight. only thing that has me worried is the conversion from 50 to 60hrz. Ill report in the morning
Awesome. Some more verification that it works is definitely appreciated. I will be SO happy if it does.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #666
Expert Member

Jan 2010

I have a question which has probably been asked but I dont have the patience to dig about,

Is it not posible to just order a blu ray player from the UK and have it shipped (for example some sellers on amazon will ship a blu ray player internationally) to North America?

That way you can have 1 player for Region A and another for say Region B?

You would just have to get a converter for the plug right?

That way you can avoid playing back and forth region codes and get a name brand instead of Seiki or Insignias?

This sounds to easy to be true, and I do realize it will be 2x more expensive but I I think the pros (name brand, no code switching around) outweigh the cons (price, shipping, warranty).
Old 02-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #667
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

And 1 more player for Region C as well? Plus a region free DVD player for the old DVDs? If you have the space I guess...

I knew a guy years ago who spent a lot on anime DVDs in Japan, I told him that US or UK releases are much cheaper than the Japanese ones.

He ended up buying a Region 1 US DVD player, and a Region 2 PAL UK DVD player, in addition to his Japanese player, and paying insane prices on the hardware instead of just getting a cheaper region free player....
Old 02-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #668
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicsounds View Post
I knew a guy years ago who spent a lot on anime DVDs in Japan, I told him that US or UK releases are much cheaper than the Japanese ones.

He ended up buying a Region 1 US DVD player, and a Region 2 PAL UK DVD player, in addition to his Japanese player, and paying insane prices on the hardware instead of just getting a cheaper region free player....
Not only buying multiple blu-ray players but, importing blu-rays from all over the world is quite expensive too. They're not cheap!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #669
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Not only buying multiple blu-ray players but, importing blu-rays from all over the world is quite expensive too. They're not cheap!
I live in Japan, and importing discs have been MUCH cheaper than buying the Japanese versions locally. And much faster, as Japan tends to release things way after other countries. I've saved A LOT of money getting non-Japanese versions... but then again, I've spent so much money on movies altogether that I could feed a malnutritioned village for a few years...
Old 02-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #670
Expert Member

Jan 2010

True, good points and after I posted I looked into converting 220v to 110v, which is more complicated then I thought it would be it seems...
Old 02-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #671
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Detroit, MI ~ USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
VERY incorrect. I use Amazon UK for BD that are also released in the US and the UK versions are region free (sometimes region B locked) & are cheaper to have it shipped to me then it is to go 1 mile down the road at get it from Best Buy!!
MY FAVORITE BD I OWN : A Trip To The Moon (STEELBOOK)

MY 'SALE THREAD'
** thread updated 4-JUNE-2014 **
Old 02-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #672
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Detroit, MI ~ USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesu View Post
True, good points and after I posted I looked into converting 220v to 110v, which is more complicated then I thought it would be it seems...
I bet you thought you'd just snap on an adaptor didn't ya

MY 'SALE THREAD'
Old 02-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #673
Expert Member

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSquirreL View Post
I bet you thought you'd just snap on an adaptor didn't ya
Hah! Ya I did...oops
Old 02-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #674

Jun 2010
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeesmay View Post
Were you able to confirm smeesmay?? I want to order the region B UK Garden State release but have the Panasonic 110 and no way to play it unless this trick works for the Panasonics.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #675
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin

So is BB selling any region free BD player in-store for less than $100? Not something I would use a lot but guess I would like to have the option of getting region B and C BDs in the future.
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19
Old 02-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #676
Power Member

Aug 2008
Mississippi

I haven't looked at this whole thread, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a region free version of the LB BD630? I saw one on a website, and it looked pretty good. The price was around 198.00.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #677
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Detroit, MI ~ USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Anakin View Post
So is BB selling any region free BD player in-store for less than $100? Not something I would use a lot but guess I would like to have the option of getting region B and C BDs in the future.
they don't carry any players that are region free out of the box. The Insignia can be region free with an older firmware they released but they don't carry them in-store any longer. Only via the Best Buy web site as refurbished units

MY 'SALE THREAD'
Old 02-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #678

Nov 2011

I can confirm that the Panasonic hack works with my Panasonic bdt110, a player I received free from best buy! It did take a few tries, but it definitely works, as my artificial eye Bluray confirms
Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #679

Feb 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh8xxx View Post
I can confirm that the Panasonic hack works with my Panasonic bdt110, a player I received free from best buy! It did take a few tries, but it definitely works, as my artificial eye Bluray confirms
CAN some one try on bdt200
Old 03-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #680

Jan 2012

looking for a seiki owner for help . without warning it seems that entering the code and changing the BD region from A to B has no effect. Only region B locked bds will play, multi zone do not. no problem with dvd which all play at 0 zone. My player has the older unit firmware .fortunately all bds seem to play on my curtis player without upgrades...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders