COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$54.96
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.12
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Baltimore Ravens: Road to XLVII (Blu-ray)
$20.08
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
The Originals: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D TVs, Projectors and Displays

Old 02-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #41

Jul 2009
Seattle, WA

Just bought a Samsung 64" plasma. Second Samsung for me.
I think they are great TV's.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #42
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
California

Love my Samsung 3D Plasma
If you ask that type of question for any product your going to get some negative responses, no matter what it is.
PSN ID: swimfreak1
Old 02-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #43

Apr 2011
St. Louis MO.

I'm on my third Sammy and I loved everyone. My new 59in D7000 plasma 3D works the best out of all tv's I've owned and is highly ranked in test by many mags and online sites.

Every electronic maker has it's problems time to time. I guess I've been blessed.
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-35 (140 watts @ 8 ohms)
Amp: Adcom GFA-555 Mk.II (200 watts @ 8 ohms)
Fronts: Polk RTi A9
Center: Polk CSI A6
Rears: Polk RTi A7
Sub: Polk DSW PRO 500 (10 inch, 200 Watt)
TV: Samsung 59 inch 3D Plasma 600 Hz PN59D7000
Sources: Samsung BD-D6700, DirecTV, PS3 and iPhone 4 and IPod Apple Lossless Tracks
Old 02-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
Ireland, Dublin

My first HD TV I bought was a Samsung 32". I have it about 4-years now and I've only ever had one slight problem with it.
The Movie+ feature started switching it self on automatically.
It was an easy fix though as all I had to do was unplug the TV and plug it back in. Problem solved and its been fine ever since.

Personally, I love my Samsung and IMO, Samsung also make the best looking TV's. They make some damn sexy tv's!
Proud member of the Blu Clan

10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Concentrated Power of Will, 5% Pleasure, 50% Pain =
100% Reason to Remember the Name
Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

I've been looking at a few Samsung's recently. They're a good brand. My washing machine goes strong, and I know lots of people with their TV's who have owned them for a while, with no technical hassles or compatibility issues.

The prices for the size I'm after are great. But one thing bothers me; motionflow.

I HATE motionflow and can't stand watching movies this way. I have read on other forums that it can be switched off? Can anyone confirm this? Is it an easy, click of a button thing? And does it save the preference in? Or do I have to do it every time?

Cheers y'all.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #46

Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post
I've been looking at a few Samsung's recently. They're a good brand. My washing machine goes strong, and I know lots of people with their TV's who have owned them for a while, with no technical hassles or compatibility issues.

The prices for the size I'm after are great. But one thing bothers me; motionflow.

I HATE motionflow and can't stand watching movies this way. I have read on other forums that it can be switched off? Can anyone confirm this? Is it an easy, click of a button thing? And does it save the preference in? Or do I have to do it every time?

Cheers y'all.
On Samsungs, it's called AutoMotion Plus and it's off by default. No matter what you set it to, it will remain at that setting until you change it and yes, it's a very simple thing to change right from the main menu. You can also customize blur and judder if you're so inclined. You never know, you might find a AMP setting that appeals to you.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #47
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Captain. I might be going with the 59" Plasma then, for $100 less than the 55" Bravia.

Funny that it's off by default, cause all the owners I know have it on and are oblivious to it. Could there be a different standard in Australia? Or might some sellers turn it on before selling?

Besides the point if I can toggle it how I like. So you're a Sammy owner Cap? I might get some configuring advice off you if I go with this set. Might be some time...
Old 03-17-2012, 01:37 AM   #48

Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Thanks Captain. I might be going with the 59" Plasma then, for $100 less than the 55" Bravia.

Funny that it's off by default, cause all the owners I know have it on and are oblivious to it. Could there be a different standard in Australia? Or might some sellers turn it on before selling?

Besides the point if I can toggle it how I like. So you're a Sammy owner Cap? I might get some configuring advice off you if I go with this set. Might be some time...
Whoa... gotta put the brakes on this one. AMP is NOT a feature of plasmas, That's exclusively a feature of LED LCD's. That's across the board for plasmas, regardless of brand. Allegedly, they don't need them.

I own a Sammy 55" 8000 Series 240Hz 3D LED. I love this damned TV. As for the oblivious factor of AMP, after a month of using it, you don't notice it. You're eyes adjust to the point where the "soap opera effect" that people complain about is non-existent and you're left with viewing just magnificent picture. But, what you do notice is the drop in quality after you turn it off after your eyes have gotten used to it. Something to think about.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #49
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada eh!

I had a Panasonic 65" GT series plasma and I had exchanged it for a 64" Samsung D8000. There was nothing wrong with the GT. I was thinking about moving up to the VT but the difference was not as big as the price difference would make you think.

I then took a look at the D8000 and I haven't looked back. There's WAY more settings to tweak and the motion is amazing.

I had my friend who's ISF and ISF-C certified to calibrate my set and I'm a VERY happy camper. I'm rather anal when it comes to picture quality and I have nothing to really complain about.
JVC DLA-RS55 4K Shift Projector, 100" EluneVision Reference Studio 4K Tab-Tensioned Screen
*New unfinished basement is currently under construction* The new build thread!
64" Samsung PN64D8000 3D Plasma, Samsung BD-D5500 3D Bluray player
Main Floor: Samsung UN55D7000 LED 3DTV, Samsung BD-D5500
Beadroom: Panasonic TC-P50ST30 3D Plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 3D Bluray player
Final Fantasy Black Cloud 160GB J-PS3, Xbox 360 Elite
Old 03-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #50

Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:

Y'know, it just dawned on me that your handle is an obvious Trek reference. Mine is too, albeit not so obvious.

AS for calibration specs, I am embarrassed to say this but with my set, it required very little calibration. I have a calibration Blu-ray and the sets "vivid" setting was actually really nice but i wanted to calibrate it to get it perfect and I hardly changed anything. A couple of notches on the contrast and brightness and that was it.

That was very odd to me because my Mitsubushi 65" DLP and my 32" Vizio required a crapload of calibrating using the disc and color filter.

Last edited by Captainhawk1; 03-17-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #51
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

So, Samsung = good quality picture, with little calibration needed.
And Samsung Plasma = no AMP? This is good news for me. I know, I know, I might get used to it, but I might not, so I'll stick with what I know.

And, what can I say? Star Trek rules. That's me in the picture, and that's my communicator badge tattoo you see on my chest. So I'm never without it...
Old 03-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
So, Samsung = good quality picture, with little calibration needed.
And Samsung Plasma = no AMP? This is good news for me. I know, I know, I might get used to it, but I might not, so I'll stick with what I know.

And, what can I say? Star Trek rules. That's me in the picture, and that's my communicator badge tattoo you see on my chest. So I'm never without it...
You are being feed misinformation. Even though CaptainHawk1 is happy with vivid mode and his slight calibration changes (I personally wouldn't even call what he described as calibration to be honest, more like minor tweaks), that nowhere near means they are close to being the greatest or right calibration settings to get the best performance out of the tv, or that the tv barely needs to be calibrated. With the use of any quality calibration disc, you'll discover that major changes need to be done to a tv which is set on vivid mode, if you follow the discs instructions correctly that is. I know that many people prefer vivid mode, but it is actually the worst mode to use. Vivid mode produces over saturated colours and an overall fake look, which isn't true to the source or how directors intend their movies to be viewed. Using vivid mode also reduces the life of the tv by quite a bit. For the best results and performance, the display should be calibrated in cinema/movie mode.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #53

Oct 2011

[QUOTE=EricJ;4775274]

QUOTE]

YES. They are. I never had a Samsung 3D tv, but I have had a Samsung tv, and I have had terrible problems with EVERY Samsung device I have ever owned.

Unfixable problems.

tv, surround sound amp, other Samsung devices, etcetera

I will never ever buy another Samsung device period. Ever.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #54

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsjr View Post
And be aware that a new problem has come up as the Antiglare / Antireflective coating is peeling on new Samsung plasmas. Which is just weird.
you want to talk about weird. How about a regular 2D Samsung tv where half the picture goes all green, and the color occasionally goes out and comes back, the half green comes and goes when it feels like it also, but is mostly there.

And it wasn't me. Several other people had the EXACT SAME problem with this EXACT SAME model of tv.

And no there was not anything magnetic or such that we had around it that would affect the picture tube in such a way.

Even Samsung wasn't able to fix that problem on anyone's tv.

Even though they manufactured the device.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #55

Mar 2012

I'm happy with mine, looks as good as my panasonic

what bluray did you use to calibrate with? I got one off amazon and it is garbage, and I don't have my old dvd, and really didn't want SD calibration.

Samsung makes more flat panels then anyone, LCD (and I believe panasonic and samsung are about even with plasma)

I don't like LCD, I can pick out pixels no matter what on them, only LCDs I've liked are my ultra fine laptop screens for work, all samsung, my dell at home is ok. And I once owned an Epson 3LCD projector (got rid of it for DLP) that was really nice, and looked less pixelated then a 55 inch LG LCD my friend had, my screen was 180 inches also.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Put my Sammy on hold yesterday. Heading down in a few hours to pay for it. I'll get it delivered, which I think can take a week.

It's a PS59D550. I dunno if it's called something else overseas. But it's a series 5 59" (150cm) plasma. Older model, I know. But the price is right.

I'll report back in a few weeks after watching it some.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #57
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
You are being feed misinformation. Even though CaptainHawk1 is happy with vivid mode and his slight calibration changes (I personally wouldn't even call what he described as calibration to be honest, more like minor tweaks), that nowhere near means they are close to being the greatest or right calibration settings to get the best performance out of the tv, or that the tv barely needs to be calibrated. With the use of any quality calibration disc, you'll discover that major changes need to be done to a tv which is set on vivid mode, if you follow the discs instructions correctly that is. I know that many people prefer vivid mode, but it is actually the worst mode to use. Vivid mode produces over saturated colours and an overall fake look, which isn't true to the source or how directors intend their movies to be viewed. Using vivid mode also reduces the life of the tv by quite a bit. For the best results and performance, the display should be calibrated in cinema/movie mode.
I'll be getting that Sammy pretty soon.

You talk about calibration disks. Where do I find one of these? Are they brand/set specific?

I've also read on another thread about "breaking in" plasmas. There's some slides you should view before use, or something?

Cheers for your help.

P.S. It's not the same model as yours, but is a 59" Sammy Plasma. From the look of your house and speakers we are in pretty different financial brackets.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:11 AM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
I'll be getting that Sammy pretty soon.

You talk about calibration disks. Where do I find one of these? Are they brand/set specific?

I've also read on another thread about "breaking in" plasmas. There's some slides you should view before use, or something?

Cheers for your help.

P.S. It's not the same model as yours, but is a 59" Sammy Plasma. From the look of your house and speakers we are in pretty different financial brackets.
Congrats on the new tv.

I have the Spears & Munsil calibration disc. I bought it from 'Digital Cinema.com.au', but I just checked their website, and it appears as if they no longer sell it. I'm sure other places sell it here in Australia though, or alternatively you could just order it from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Spears-High-Definition-Benchmark-Blu-ray-Edition/dp/B001UM29OC/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1332988588&sr=1-1

Disney Wow and DVE are 2 other popular calibration discs on the market, but I prefer the Spears & Munsil disc myself.

As for break in and the slides, there is much debate on the subject, so that's entirely up to you if you want to do it. The goal of it is to age the phosphors evenly for the 1st 100 or so hours, before you calibrate the tv. If you are going to do it, then the slides are the best option to age the phosphors correctly, though I personally didn't use the slides. Instead I picked about 70-80 blu-rays I own (which I hadn't watched in a while) with aspect ratios of 1.78:1 and 1.85:1, and just watched nothing but those on it for 3-4 weeks. If you don't own many movies with those aspect ratios, then you can always zoom in on everything you watch for a few weeks.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote

Last edited by Cevolution; 03-29-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #59
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Damn, I have to spend 3-4 weeks watching blu's on my new TV. Oh no! lol...

I have plenty of blu's with that aspect. I might watch through a few TV shows like Clone Wars and the full screen Simpsons episodes with the kids. And Avatar a bunch of times.

Thanks for the link and the advice! I'll let you (and everyone else) know how much I'm enjoying my TV in a few weeks time.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:08 AM   #60
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Damn, I have to spend 3-4 weeks watching blu's on my new TV. Oh no! lol...

I have plenty of blu's with that aspect. I might watch through a few TV shows like Clone Wars and the full screen Simpsons episodes with the kids. And Avatar a bunch of times.

Thanks for the link and the advice! I'll let you (and everyone else) know how much I'm enjoying my TV in a few weeks time.
You don't have to do it, I'm not saying that it offers any benefits to the tv or not, it's up to you to decide that. Really it just come's down to personal preference. Plenty of people just plug in their new plasmas and use them the way they want right from the start.
Setup:
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D TVs, Projectors and Displays