COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$17.98
HD Aviation: 100 Years of Flight (Blu-ray)
$12.98
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.78
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$22.98
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (After You've Seen It!)
One Star 1 1.56%
Two Stars 3 4.69%
Three Stars 19 29.69%
Four Stars 26 40.63%
Five Stars 15 23.44%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2012, 05:28 AM   #101
Special Member

Aug 2009

I'm weary of the handheld/found footage format gimmick. Ever since Blair Witch it has been used as a crutch instead of great storytelling. Maybe it is so popular because so many people now spend so much time with handheld, camera phone type videos on Youtube. In any event I gave it a 3/5 bc of the shooting style. If it had been shot conventionally with maybe some handheld excerpts, I'd have given it a 4/5.

[Show spoiler]I thought the hero to villain arc for the main character, Andrew was very well done. Perhaps the scenes with the abusive, alcoholic father were overdone. This was essentially a story of a shy, nerdy, loner who ends up shooting up a school ...done with superpowers. I like the way they had him hate anyone who thwarted his immediate goal. Starting with the pharmacist who was a "Prick" bc he would not just give away for free, expensive mediation. The Pharmacy must actually pay most of that $750 to his wholesaler who in turn must pay most of that to the drug company. I suspect many people in society "feel" that if they want/need some goods or services, they should get it and to hell with who must pay for their desires. This movie added the super powers/Apex predator concept to an already disturbed mind. I am stronger so why not just take what I want? Had Andrew lived, he'd have also probably become a rapist. The theme of absolute power corrupts absolutely is relevant here. I also liked the brief discussion of "rules."
Makes you wonder if you were suddenly able to do what these super teens could do what might your actions be?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #102
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

I finally got around to see this movie yesterday. During this whole movie I couldn't help but feel really sorry for the main kid. It was a little disturbing to me
[Show spoiler]watching this kid get beat up and slapped around at home by his dad and then get bullied at school get these powers and abilities then go rampant around my city. All I could think of was kids actually going through this committing suicide or something like Columbine. Some of the kids in the theater was laughing when that stuff was happening which really soured this movie for me. It was just a little too real for me.
. On a better note, the effects were pretty good. 2.5/5 for me.
Launch PS3 60GB, Launch PS3 Slim 120GB, Launch PS4
Family Room: (TV) Samsung LNT5271; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH; (Speakers) Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 5.1 System
New HT Room: (Projector) JVC RS45; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite SC-35; (Front Speakers) Monitor Audio RX6; (Center) RX Centre; (Side Surround Speakers) Monitor Audio RXFX; (Back Speakers) PSB Image B4 Compact Bookshelf; (Subwoofer) SVS PB12-Plus
GO PURPLE...BE GOLD!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #103
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
York, somewhere else in England

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorD View Post
I finally got around to see this movie yesterday. During this whole movie I couldn't help but feel really sorry for the main kid. It was a little disturbing to me
[Show spoiler]watching this kid get beat up and slapped around at home by his dad and then get bullied at school get these powers and abilities then go rampant around my city. All I could think of was kids actually going through this committing suicide or something like Columbine. Some of the kids in the theater was laughing when that stuff was happening which really soured this movie for me. It was just a little too real for me.
. On a better note, the effects were pretty good. 2.5/5 for me.
I don't get how you can down grade a film for getting a strong (intended) emotional response from a film, sure they weren't trying to remind you of Columbine, but you was supposed to feel sorry for the kid
Films of the Summer I'll check out: Lucy, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.
Best Films of the Year so far: Boyhood, Calvary, Frank, The Rover, Godzilla, The Raid 2, The LEGO Movie, Under the Skin
Most Recent Blu-Ray Purchases: Calvary, The Raid 2
Old 02-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #104
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
I don't get how you can down grade a film for getting a strong (intended) emotional response from a film, sure they weren't trying to remind you of Columbine, but you was supposed to feel sorry for the kid
While I get what you are saying (and I like a lot of different kinds of movies), I just had a hard time enjoying the movie. It's just my own opinion.
Launch PS3 60GB, Launch PS3 Slim 120GB, Launch PS4
Family Room: (TV) Samsung LNT5271; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH; (Speakers) Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 5.1 System
New HT Room: (Projector) JVC RS45; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite SC-35; (Front Speakers) Monitor Audio RX6; (Center) RX Centre; (Side Surround Speakers) Monitor Audio RXFX; (Back Speakers) PSB Image B4 Compact Bookshelf; (Subwoofer) SVS PB12-Plus
GO PURPLE...BE GOLD!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #105
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2010
Orange County, CA
Default My Review

Quote:
When anyone utters the words found footage when talking about movies, I become very hesitant of the film. I'm not usually a fan of found footage features, with a select few such as 'Cloverfield' and 'Rec'. But the idea of a found footage movie dealing with superheroes had me very intrigued, especially one written by Max Landis, the writer of one of my favorite novels, 'World War Z'. Directed by new comer Josh Trank, 'Chronicle' not only is one of the best superhero films that's been made, but also one of the best uses of found footage that's been used.

High school student Andrew Detmer (Dane DeHaan) doesn't have the easiest life. He gets picked on at school, his fathers an alcoholic, and his mother is sick. To help himself cope with what is going on, he decides to begin filming everything he does. One night when he's at a high school party with his cousin Matt Garetty (Alex Russell), and Matt's friend Steve Montgomery (Michael B. Jordan) a whole out in the middle of the forest. They decide to investigate and the next thing they know they have psychic powers. They begin to mess with their new found abilities and discover just what they can do with it, and how having them can lead to a downward spiral.

Honestly, 'Chronicle' is some most fun I've had at a superhero movie in a long time. This was such a well thought out film, with a really great story and three very well cast and written characters that elevate this movie ahead of many of the more recent films in both genres. Josh Trank has proven to be an exceptional director on his first outing, and I'm already looking forward to seeing what he does next. Trank knows character, story, and special effects. He's brought an old school approach that makes the film work even better. By using practical effects, the movie works even better.

But the thing that Trank and Landis do the best though is their attention to the characters. They make sure that we understand and care about Andrew, Matt, and Steve and understand all their feelings and motivations. These are three of the most relatable characters I've gotten to watch in quite some time. They really feel like real high school students that you could have been with. All three of the actors are faces I've seen before, and I've enjoyed them all in the various things I've seen them in. But here is the first time I've really gotten to enjoy them and see them shine. Dane especially, who plays Andrew, gets to play so many different sides to the character, he's just a joy to watch. To watch his gradual decent is really interesting, and he pulls it off really well. He and Alex who plays his cousin Matt have great chemistry, and it seemed very natural. Especially towards the end. But my favorite character is definitely Steve, played by Michael B. Jordan, who I've come to love over the last season or two of 'Parenthood'. He is very charismatic, and I absolutely loved him every time he was on screen.

What really impressed me though, other than the characters, was the special effects. Trank used a lot of practical effects to create his characters super powers. That added a lot of extra realism to what they were doing, and for me, worked better. Nothing looked nearly as CGI and fake as many the times things like that can. Trank really has a great eye for effects and knows how to utilize them properly. He also has a great eye for action. The final act of the film, set in Seattle, is one of the most intense and cool fight scenes I've seen in a superhero film. And doing it in a found footage style was even more interesting, as it cut from things like news casts, to cell phone videos, to security cameras. It was just really fantastic and fun to watch.

'Chronicle' is not only one of the best found footage films that's been made, but one of the best superhero movies as well. It's made me fall in love all over again with the genre, and shown that not all superhero films have to be cookie cutter and by the book as many can be. With an excellent story, a great cast, and outstanding special effects, 'Chronicle' is the first truly great film of the year. Josh Trank has proven to be an upcoming director to really watch, because he's proven he's definitely got the talent to do great things. I know rumors are swirling about a sequel, but I don't want it to happen. I'd love to see this movie stand on it's own as it is. It just works too well to have a sequel. I can't recommend this movie enough.

9/10
Review From My Blog
"Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping young lives in the realm of entertainment towards the ideals and objectives of normal adulthood."
Walt Disney

Follow me:
Twitter: @pj_campbell

Instagram: pj_campbell
Old 02-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #106

Aug 2011
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I saw this movie last night. What a typical, over acted boring movie. It had no substance, completely predictable right up to the end. Instead of focusing on what caused their powers, or creating more action, or developing a story of any kind it was just another "teen" movie about the difficulties of growing up and friendship/acceptance/popularity etc with telekinetic powers thrown in as an after thought.

Complete waste of time and money. I felt like I was watching yet ANOTHER stupid vampire movie...ok well not quite THAT bad..but close.
so apparently 17 TB is just NOT enough storage for me..... LOL
Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #107
Expert Member

Feb 2009

I was disappointed...the movie got some pretty solid reviews and I thought it was a big waste of money. Wasn't a fan...

The ending was terrible.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #108
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
AZ

Thought it was excellent.

From the perspective of a video editor alone (me), the last 20 or so minutes were simply mind-blowing.

9/10

Time is the School in Which We Learn
Time is the Fire in Which We Burn

Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966)
Old 02-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #109
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Kent

just saw this was pleasantly impressed

id give it a 3.5 but bumped it up to a 4 for the poll

it reminds me of Akira and filming/acting like Cloverfield really worked (although having multiple perspectives was a bit odd at times and needless)

question was there a scene @ the end of credits? wasnt able to stick around for them this time
Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #110
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
York, somewhere else in England

Quote:
Originally Posted by X400 View Post
question was there a scene @ the end of credits? wasnt able to stick around for them this time
I haven't read about one so I doubt it
Films of the Summer I'll check out: Lucy, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.
Best Films of the Year so far: Boyhood, Calvary, Frank, The Rover, Godzilla, The Raid 2, The LEGO Movie, Under the Skin
Most Recent Blu-Ray Purchases: Calvary, The Raid 2
Old 02-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #111
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009

There's nothing at the end.
Running ain't freedom

I think I'm gonna get some KFC and watch some Star Wars! - jbig31
Let's look death in the face and say, "Whatever, man" - Hugo Reyes
Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #112
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
I haven't read about one so I doubt it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
There's nothing at the end.

ah okay thanks guys

i was wondering if they were going to show someone else arrive @ that location or something
Old 02-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #113
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Rocky mountain Frontrange

I watched this last week. I really don't enjoy the "found footage" type of filming. I did like the film overall.

I'll probably pass on films in the future with this type of cinematography. Just not my thing.
If you are violent you are weak, for violence has no mind.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #114
Power Member

Aug 2007
Austin, TX

I saw it tonight and was let down. I think I enjoyed it overall, but it's just nothing entirely special. The main kid is pretty good, but the other two definitely overact. After a while, the "Oh ****!" moments just become tiresome, and some of the kid/father plot just seemed generic and thin. No real substance there. A great deal of the final 20 minutes was pretty impressive though, and really got me excited for the potential of Zack Snyder's Superman climax.
"I'm an avid reader of message boards because I like to know how people with poor grammar really feel." - Mike Birbiglia
Old 03-05-2012, 03:14 AM   #115

Oct 2010

I would a stole money from an ATM or rip the vault open from a bank at night if I had those powers.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #116
Expert Member

Jul 2011

Max Landis Set To Write ‘Chronicle 2′ For Fox
http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/max-...cle-2-for-fox/
Old 03-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #117

Aug 2011
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad30 View Post
Max Landis Set To Write ‘Chronicle 2′ For Fox
http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/max-...cle-2-for-fox/
bwahahhaa...

well...at least I got my money back after the show...due to this... read

Just watched Undercover Boss Cineplex Odeon episode..and the best part was how clueless this company really is. I went to the movies at Silver City here in Windsor recently to see a movie and the masking was off or broken (it's what makes the movie actually fit the full screen). I spoke to the manager afterwards and she said "ya, the masking is broken on that projector. We can't get it fixed, but hey..you didn't really "miss" any of the movie..it just was 4:3 or square instead of full screen."

WTF am I paying $14.00 a ticket for when I can get better quality, better sound, and better perfect picture at home??? This business is just a dinosaur and will suffer the same fate. Cinema's are as dead as dead can be. $20.00 for popcorn and soda? WTF? I'm sorry but these guys should be ashamed of themselves.

The whole reason anyone goes to the movies at a theater is to see the best quality sound/picture and get the "real" experience. Well...I'm sorry but they have a lot of nerve taking anyone's money for that kinda crap.

I tried to post this information their facebook page..but wouldn't ya know it? You can't post on their page at all. Probably because you'd only see complaints.

I wrote a complaint to the head office and I never even received a reply. It's been 3 weeks..do you think they give a shit? No! Of course not.
so apparently 17 TB is just NOT enough storage for me..... LOL
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies