COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
All That Jazz (Blu-ray)
$27.70
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Dream Theater: Breaking the Fourth Wall (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Being John Malkovich (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Babette's Feast (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Old 01-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #1861

Nov 2011

Hey Guys,

With help from Steve (Callas01 - thanks so much ) recently I did upgrade my audio system in my HT in basement and I'm very happy with it. I bought 2 used Energy C500s speakers if fairly good shape, new matching C-c100 center speaker, HSU STF-2 sub and Marantz 5005 AVR. Overall the setup sounds good and it is shaking my 2 story house, however I do suffer from NULL sub spots. I will have to try sub crawling and rerun AVR Audessay setup to imporove that.

My question for you guys is, what riser is recommended for down firing sub such as HSU STF-2? My basement doesn't have any rugs and at the moment my sub sits on laminate floor.

Also will risers cut down on house shaking on the 2nd floor? I already had my wife come downstairs compaling about moving picture frames on the walls...

I'm thinking about DIY Riser, because I have to build something for my new center speaker. Do you guys think several pieces of felt under c-100 fronts is good enough.

This is an old picture of my basement... the tiny sat speakers form the wall are gone, as it is small center channel (now under the screen). The old TV is gone, and the sub is sitting in that corner...

My HT takes only 1/3 of the lenght of my basement and behind (you cannot see) it is playroom for my boys. Hence setting up audio for my HT is very dificult due to HT layout...

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #1862

Feb 2012

This is interesting. Possibly decoupling the woofer from the floor keeps the energy that is transmitted to the structure from being lost and keep it as music in the room? Isolation of an item that makes noise is always the way to keep it from making sympathetic vibration, and therefore noise, in the walls or floors. Same thing with my cyclone dust control in the shop. I have it isolated from the walls and floor so the whole building doesn't become a "speaker".
So, if I build my own sub, does the sub box need to be isolated from the riser, or just from the floor? ie, could the riser be integrated into the sub box design then filled with poly, then the entire structure on something that would isolate it from the floor? Any thoughts? Jim.
Home of Coolmeadow Creations and Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
Proud to be a Pentaholic. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3
Audio: Yamaha CA-2010 integrated amp, CT-2010 tuner, Sony DVP-NS775P DVD/CD, Technics SL-QD22 turntable, Yamaha NS-1000 speakers
HT system add: Yamaha RX-V667, Samsung UM55D7000 LED Flatscreen, Yamaha NS-C210 center channel, Premier Acoustic PA 150 sub, and Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-Ray
Still needed: 4 in ceiling surround speakers-possibly Polk RC-85i.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #1863

Dec 2011
Kentucky

That's an interesting idea Jim, i don't see why it wouldn't work. But to keep my sub box design simple i went the route of building a separate riser. Then i decoupled the riser from the floor with floor spikes on the bottom of the riser and went a step further and decoupled the sub from the riser with floor spikes on the bottom of the sub. It's worked out awesome for me but as i've read a million times on this forum, there is no one size fits all implementation. I'll let the more experienced members comment on your idea though as to whether it would work or not.
My Current Setup:
Receiver:
Onkyo TX-NR818 Amps: Crown XLS 1500 (Mains), Dayton Audio SA230 (Sub) Display: BenQ W1070 on Elite Screens Silver Frame series 84" Front L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 70's Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS2 Rear L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 30's Sub: 1 DIY 12 Inch Sealed sub Blu-Ray/Gaming/Music/TV: Custom built desktop computer
Old 04-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #1864

Apr 2012

Been reading the first half of this thread for a few days now and decided to make one 6" high. Thanks BD! 5db added to my sub after recalibration. Roughly by how much does making the riser 1' or higher increase the subs output?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #1865

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa25 View Post
Been reading the first half of this thread for a few days now and decided to make one 6" high. Thanks BD! 5db added to my sub after recalibration. Roughly by how much does making the riser 1' or higher increase the subs output?
There is no correct answer. It depends on the room dimensions and the position of the subwoofer with respect to the room boundaries.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #1866
Expert Member

Aug 2010
Quito, Ecuador
Default Dyi

mangosta

"NVLLA SCIENTIA MELIOR MVSICA ANIMAE HARMONIA"

Home Theater Gallery
My Home Theater Video
Old 06-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #1867
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Hi, all.

First of all, thanks to Big Daddy for this and a number of his other threads that have been very, very helpful and informative.

I've recently been trying to finish up a dedicated HT we made as part of our basement finishing project. I made 3 DIY speaker stands (the one with the 2 pieces of wood with a PVC pipe in the middle) for my 3 fronts based on another thread here. Now I'm turning my attention to making some sub risers a la this thread.

I plan on making 2, one of each of my subs (Emo Ultra 12's).
Sub 1: in front behind an AT screen and hidden, will be about 22" high.
Sub 2: in the rear probably and visible, will be about 14" high because it will be on a platform that is 8" high.
In the end, both subs will be at about the same height.
Basic Design: probably a 3/4" MDF top, 4 2"x2" poplar legs, cut to size, some horizontal bracing members between the legs at the bottom for support, and some rubber isolation feet from parts-express. Top will be covered with left over carpet material and sides with something (see question 2 below). Inside will be filled (see question 1 below).

I think I have most of the material that I need and am probably going to get started, but just had a few questions:

1. Fill material? If I want this to also be a bass trap and fill the inside, is there a huge difference in performance based on materials used?

I could use:
(a) regular fiberglass insulation (left over from finishing our basement = free), or
(b) some Roxul, (~$40), or
(c) some foam from a local store (probably ~$40-50 based on other posts), or
(d) some acoustic foam, like these 12"x12" (link) foam blocks from foambymail.com (~$50 worth should be enough to fill or mostly fill the 2 risers).

Obviously (a), the free option has advantages and I would just go with this if there is likely to be no or only marginal differences in performance.

However, I wouldn't mind spending the extra $50 or so between the 2 risers to do options (b)-(d) IF it would most likely give much better performance.

2. Side cover material? I also want to wrap the sides of the riser with something. Does the material make a difference for its role as a bass trap? With the low frequencies, I'm guessing not, but just wanted to double check.

If there is little difference, I'll probably just use left over carpet (the same that I will use to cover the tops), which is free, especially for the front riser, which will be hidden behind the AT screen. If it will make a functional difference and needs to be more transparent, I don't mind buying some fabric.

Thanks!
For Trade:
Have:

Want: Any of the following (or some combo) for each ~$10 code
(A) 2 iTunes DC's, or (B) 2 slips, or (C) GC for 1/2 nominal value, or (D) 1 inexpensive blu (<$10 type), or (E) DMR codes or ticket stubs, or (F) other types of unique codes, or (G) open to other suggestions. . . . . . . . Please see my WTT thread for details.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #1868
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

ok guys, thinking of builidng a couple of Risers/decouplers. ..... my questions are...

1. I have 2 THT's ... is it even going to work for them? Everything I've read seems to say these work BEST corner loaded so decoupling them doesn't seem like that big an advantage

2. and is it even worth making one price wise???? those suckers are quite literally 36x24 on the bottom making the foam from walmart $33 alone without any other materials.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:06 AM   #1869

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
ok guys, thinking of builidng a couple of Risers/decouplers. ..... my questions are...

1. I have 2 THT's ... is it even going to work for them? Everything I've read seems to say these work BEST corner loaded so decoupling them doesn't seem like that big an advantage

2. and is it even worth making one price wise???? those suckers are quite literally 36x24 on the bottom making the foam from walmart $33 alone without any other materials.
Riser should work for all types of subwoofers. They should not cost that much.

Decoupling from the floor is only one of the benefits. Go back to post #2. I have summarized all the benefits of risers.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #1870
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Riser should work for all types of subwoofers. They should not cost that much.

Decoupling from the floor is only one of the benefits. Go back to post #2. I have summarized all the benefits of risers.
gotcha, I was just wondering if because it was a horn and mean't to be loaded in a corner whether those benefits would be applicable.

cost wise I'm thinking I might have to do it plywood style since my original idea of "one inch rubber mats used to keep dryers from vibrating along with walmart acoustic foam sandwiched inbetween them" would be a bit costly (the two rubber neoprene bads are $15 each + $33 worth of foam to get at least 38x26 sized
Old 01-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #1871
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

The only thing I don't like about using subwoofer risers, is that you lose the tactile sensation,
of the bass energy rolling across the floor and up your legs.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #1872
Power Member

Feb 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Two_Cents View Post
Question: As my HT is in my basement, which has carpeting over a concrete slab, would a sub riser really serve any purpose in my situation? I may build one just for something to do, but do I really need it?
Sorry for quoting an old post here, but I was wondering the same thing. I continued to read and didn't see a response to this so I thought I would also ask.
I looked up the phrase 'Getting It Done' in the dictionary and it said, "See Marvel Cinematic Universe 2008-present".
Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #1873
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
jO-hio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silo5 View Post

Sorry for quoting an old post here, but I was wondering the same thing. I continued to read and didn't see a response to this so I thought I would also ask.
I don't think it will honestly unless it raises it way up. I have a home made one if you want to try it out, I used to have it under my old Martin Logan Dynamo, it's just taking up space in the garage.

It's 2x4, plywood, carpeted and filled with loose cotton bat that I had left from filling the old sub:

Bill
Wives and toddlers...can't live with them and people notice them missing.
Proud Member of CAA: Chronic Adjusters Anonymous
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #1874

Jan 2013

Read every post.

I got 5 subs in the house.

I got some work to do.

I think my main system will get a ASC subtrap as I can't fabricate something that looks that good. I have two M&K VX 860 SF (in cherry wood) that I can stack on top. I have M&K 850's up front all in cherry and the aesthetics are important. Ill post pictures in due time when its all set up in a few weeks.

The two outlaw LFM-1 plus' will get some home made risers. They are big boys and not so pretty.

Got a Bose lifestyle for the bedroom (its a just the bedroom for goodness sake!) and just stuck some foam under it and its tighter. Someone gave me the system with one cube blown (fixed) and I chucked the CD unit and just have it hooked to my music server (Olive 2TB) hard wired to 6 separate zones. No Bose lover here but when its free it is not bad!

I read about risers a few years ago but it just went by me. I thought floors shaking was a good thing.

I promised myself no new equipment until everything was tweeked. I have not paid attention to acoustics as I should have. I have a long standing belief most equipment people buy is not set up properly. That includes myself. Im trying! Im trying!

The ears don't lie!

Last edited by Bargamon; 01-18-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #1875
Expert Member

Aug 2010
California

going to join the team of DIY.

need to know if this idea works:
22x22" mdf carpeted, with two 2" foam, no legs

basically does the riser need to have solid legs, or is foam/padding plenty enough?
thanks y'all
hdtv - panasonic 55st60 / bdr - panasonic DMP-BDT210 / avr - integra DTR-40.2
speakers - polk audio Csi-A6 / Rti-A3 / DSWpro660wi / psb image s50
RedMere HDMI / monoprice 12/2-CL2 / GLS locking banana plugs
rack - VTI BL503 / mount - Mount-It! MI-310B / ups - cyber power 1500avr.lcd
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #1876
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008
Middletown, RI (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagadelic View Post
going to join the team of DIY.

need to know if this idea works:
22x22" mdf carpeted, with two 2" foam, no legs

basically does the riser need to have solid legs, or is foam/padding plenty enough? thanks y'all
Should work - after you're done, test it out, see how it works/sounds to YOUR ears. You can always modify it later.
** Boston, MA. - 8 Sports Titles in 11 Years!! (2002-2013) **

** R.I.P. - RICHIE HAYWARD - (2/6/46 - 8/12/10) **
POLK AUDIO: "LIVE IT, BREATHE IT, LOVE IT, BELIEVE IT!" ™
50" Samsung DLP - POLK AUDIO - "7.2" Set-up - Center: CS2 - Front: T90e's
Surrounds: FXi A6's (Side), A3's (Rear) - Subs: 2 PA-120's
Onkyo TX-SR706 - OPPO BDP-83 - DirecTV: "GENIE"/HR-44 HD-DVR - Harmony ONE
BLU-RAYS: 922
Old 02-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #1877

Jan 2013

ASC Sub trap for corner sub and Subdude for my two MK's in the living room.

Eq'd with the Velodyne SMS-1 and happy to report sound is tighter and more accurate than before.

In the holding room my 2.1 got a Gramma for my Outlaw sub in a room with all wood floors and the response is certainly tighter!

Im not sure I could have built the Trap nearly as well as ASC or tuned it as they have but the Auralex products can be reproduced and the work great.

I bought than made as the fit and finish was worth the money. I have two more subs that need rising and isolation and perhaps I'll make those myself.

In my office I have a Bose 2.1 desk system which the sub under my desk is quite boomy. Just elevating about 12 inches on a box made a world of difference!!!! I told some guys in my office about these projects and when I demonstrate the bose in my office (take it off the box and hear the boom return) they are amazed!

Its been a fun tweeking where for may years thought the house shaking was "Cool" and so effective. Rising and isolating its far more accurate offering less fatigue in music, and more realism to the movies. With 6 bass shakers in the couches the punch is there is we want it.

Great tweeks make a big difference!

Next is getting some traps in some corners and absorption behind the speakers. Tweek away!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #1878

Jan 2013

Wow. There is a lot of information in this thread. My head feels like it's going to explode. Thanks everyone for the great information. I have one question that I couldn't find the answer for.

I live in a basement suite. How will building a riser affect the people upstairs? Currently when I have my system loud they just hear the thumping of the sub during explosions and other loud bass sounds.
TV - Samsung 65" LED UN65FH6001, Samsung 50" Plasma PN50C540G3FXZC
Blu Ray Player - PS3 Slim 320 GB, Samsung BD-D5700
Receiver - Yamaha RX-V573
Centre Channel - Pioneer S-H053C-K,
Front Speakers - Paradigm bookshelf speakers,
Surround Speakers - Energy Connoisseur CB-10
Rear Speakers - Dynamic Audio Pro Poly Series 1901
SUBS - Polk PSW-108, Sony SA-WMSP4
Old 02-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #1879

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEH View Post
I live in a basement suite. How will building a riser affect the people upstairs? Currently when I have my system loud they just hear the thumping of the sub during explosions and other loud bass sounds.
One of the things the riser does is reduce the vertical mode(s), which you might think of as the sound bouncing up and down between the floor and the ceiling where your sub is, so adding a riser should reduce the amount of energy transferred (and therefore wasted) through the ceiling to the folks above.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #1880

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCxZ0 View Post
One of the things the riser does is reduce the vertical mode(s), which you might think of as the sound bouncing up and down between the floor and the ceiling where your sub is, so adding a riser should reduce the amount of energy transferred (and therefore wasted) through the ceiling to the folks above.
Perfect. Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. I will post pics when I get it made.
TV - Samsung 65" LED UN65FH6001, Samsung 50" Plasma PN50C540G3FXZC
Blu Ray Player - PS3 Slim 320 GB, Samsung BD-D5700
Receiver - Yamaha RX-V573
Centre Channel - Pioneer S-H053C-K,
Front Speakers - Paradigm bookshelf speakers,
Surround Speakers - Energy Connoisseur CB-10
Rear Speakers - Dynamic Audio Pro Poly Series 1901
SUBS - Polk PSW-108, Sony SA-WMSP4
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers