COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$129.99
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Noah (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Samurai Bride: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Love Lab: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Les MisÚrables (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Labor Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
House of Bodies (Blu-ray)
$13.48
Kill Bill: 1 & 2 Double Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 02-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #3081
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Euless, Texas

Wanderlust 3/5 great supporting actors, Paul Rudd was good as usual, probably a few times, could have cut back on some of the obvious improv that was going on. Jennifer Aniston probably miscast in this movie.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #3082
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2010
Orange County, CA

Rerunning my review from a few weeks ago. Seen in three times now, and nothing has changed for me.

Quote:
For over a hundred years, Edgar Rice Burroughs' eleven book 'Barsoom' series, which began with 'A Princess of Mars', has been an inspiration for many of our most well known science fiction films, and has become a small staple of popular culture. Things like 'Star Wars', 'Avatar', 'Flash Gordon', 'Buck Rogers' as well as authors like Ray Bradbury and Arthur C. Clarke have all been inspired by Burroughs and his many characters and their adventures on the planet Barsoom, or as we know it as, Mars. But no character from the series has become more popular over time than John Carter, the hero of many of Burroughs' 'Barsoom' novels. Hollywood has spent many years of attempting to bring John Carter and Barsoom to the big screen, and now Academy award winning director Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo, Wall-e) and Walt Disney Pictures have worked together to finally give this series it's due on the big screen. Stanton has managed to bring the incredible world Burroughs envisioned all those years ago to the big screen in a true pulp fiction style adventure that fans and newcomers alike will fall in love with. This is science fiction, as well as action and adventure, at its finest.

John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), a once Confederate soldier, is a man with nothing to lose. He dreams of finding a gold in the Arizona territory so he can spend the rest of his days as a rich man. But in the midst of a struggle with some Apache Indians, Carter finds himself transported to new world known as Barsoom, or as he knows it as, Mars. Because of the gravity differences, Carter is now stronger, faster, and can jump higher than anyone else on the planet, which makes him a target as an ally for some, such as Prince Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins) and Tars Tarkas (Willem Dafoe), or an enemy for others. But Carter soon realizes there is more happening on Barsoom than some may realize, and finds that he may the only person who can save the planet and it's people from complete destruction.

For Stanton being a first time live action director, he absolutely nails it. 'John Carter' has been Stanton's passion project for a long time, and it really shows. Being a huge fan of the source material, he makes sure that this is a movie that fans of the series will come to love and embrace, while also catering to an audience who may not be familiar with the material or the character. But the most important thing he did is take material that's been borrowed from so heavily over the century and make it new, exciting, and fresh. Sure, we've seen stories like this many times before, but this is also the original, so it's hard to fault the film for that. He's taken a plot that has been so heavily borrowed from before and made it incredibly fun, and you forget that you may have seen things similar to it before. Stanton finds the perfect balance between action and character development, which is something many directors seem to miss. The action, while not long, is great, especially considering it's Stanton's first live action film. It's well spread out throughout the film, but the moments without it are never boring. Fora movie that's two hours and twenty minutes long, that's a build deal. The breaks in action are used to really get to know the characters and their struggles, as well as what makes them tick and what motivates them. Stanton wants to make sure you know these characters, and that you care about them. If you don't, then this movie wouldn't work.

For any of these characters to work though, you have to make sure you have actors that you can convey the emotion that you want and bring them to life. And luckily for Stanton, he has found a cast that is perfect across the board. First and foremost, there has been a lot of backlash against the casting of Taylor Kitsch as John Carter, which couldn't be farther from the truth. Kitsch is absolutely perfect as the hero, and he really brings the character I've loved for so many years to life on the big screen. Stanton wouldn't cast just anyone as these characters, so trust when I tell you that he's found the perfect Carter. Kitsch is not a one dimensional actor, and he brings a lot the character, where we can see the pain behind his eyes from his past, and his uncertainty of the future and what it holds for him. On top of that, he brings the wonder and excitement of John to life in this new place. He is the audiences eyes into this new world, and he's perfect at it. But this movie isn't just about Taylor Kitsch. This movie has an excellent supporting cast. Lynn Collins is great as the beautiful and feisty Prince Dejah Thoris, the Princess of Mars. Much like Kitsch, we learn to love and care about Dejah early on, and how all she wants to do is save the people of Barsoom from their uncertain fate. What's also important is that she and Kitsch have great chemistry together, and we really believe about the love and care between these two characters as the movie progresses. This movie wouldn't work without their relationship being believable, so I'm glad to see it come to life here.

Those two aside, I must not forget about about Willem Dafoe as Tars Tarkas, the Thark leader, and the man who finds John Carter. Dafoe is great as the alien being who befriends Carter, and really makes us feel for Tars. He is just as human as he is alien, even behind the motion captured CGI. Dafoe is a great actor, and he really brings Tars to life in a way that many actors wouldn't be able to. For me, his performance reaches that of Andy Serkis' in 'Lord of the Rings' and 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' for one of my favorite motion capture characters. I'd like to give a shout out to Mark Strong, who is a presence throughout the movie, and one that really stands out. I really liked Strong here, but I won't go in to too much detail about his character or who he is. But Strong was really quite good here, and he is quickly becoming an actor I will go out of my way to say. And last but not least, I have to say how much I loved Bryan Cranston's brief role at the beginning of the film. Cranston is such a terrific actor, and his ten minutes in the film he really shines.

One thing that really stands out to me is Michael Giacchino's score of the film. It's sweeping and epic and really helps elevate the movie. I've found over the past two days since seeing the movie, I have been continually humming the movie's theme. It's very memorable, which is needs to be for a movie like this. A truly great movie has to have a memorable soundtrack, and Giacchino absolutely delivers that here. He has become one of my favorite music composers, and I find I'm always looking forward to what he does next. If we do get to see the 'Barsoom' series continue, I hope that he will be a part of the series that stays with it. His music really did help make the movie. There is also a perfect balance of humor in this movie. It's got many funny moments, but nothing that takes away from the movie, or anything that becomes terribly annoying. That is always a concern I have going into movies like this, but it isn't a problem here. As far as the 3D goes, it really doesn't add much to the film and just makes it look darker than it should. It's a decent post conversion job, but I'd suggest seeing it in 2D instead of 3D.

I also have to say, as a fan of the book series, I really was pleased to see that it sticks to the source material wherever possible, and only deviates when it will work better for the movie. Stanton makes sure, as I said before, that fans of the series will embrace this movie, and he does an amazing job doing that. I never thought I'd see the 'Barsoom' series so well done on the big screen, but Stanton has done it in spades. He's brought a childhood fantasy to life in a way many books don't get the chance to.

This is filmmaking at it's absolute finest. A riproaring adventure that takes you to a whole new world, and you forget about everything else around you. The cast, many that are up and comers, as well as great character actors throughout, really help bring the movie to life. From beginning to end I was glued to the screen in this world. Everything from the sweeping score, great direction, amazing cast, and fun action and adventure feel of the movie reminded me of days long gone from Hollywood. Movies that are made as pure escapism fun in a pulp fiction style adventure. 'John Carter' is a return to the Hollywood we all fell in love, and I can't recommend this movie enough. For me, this must have been what it was like seeing 'Star Wars' for the first time on May 25, 1977. I love this movie more than I've loved any other movie in a long time. Go see it, and I hope you fall in love with it as I have.

10/10
My Blog
"Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping young lives in the realm of entertainment towards the ideals and objectives of normal adulthood."
Walt Disney

Follow me:
Twitter: @pj_campbell
Old 03-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #3083
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
Out there...past the trees...

Haven't been to the theaters since last fall, when I saw "Captain America."

But, last night I had the itch to go see something. I went and saw "John Carter," and loved it. Gave it a 4/5, and found it to be a very satisfying piece of escapism.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #3084
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
The Great White North
Send a message via Yahoo to Glassroots
Canada

21 Jump Street - 8/10

- I really enjoyed it, Channing and Jonah were hilarious. Definitely recommend it.
Rest in Peace Paul.

PSN ID: glassroots

GO WINNIPEG JETS GO!!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #3085
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Dallas, TX

My review of Will Ferrell's CASA DE MI PADRE.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #3086
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Dallas, TX

My review of 21 JUMP STREET.

Last edited by bam777; 03-19-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #3087
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Memphis, TN (for now...)
Just saw The Hunger Games today.

10/10

It was flat-out incredible!! 2 hours and 22 minutes of cinematic brilliance!! A great start to what will be an amazing film trilogy!! Plus it was very faithful to the first book. Jennifer Lawrence has definitely won me over with her excellent performance as Katniss, Josh Hutcherson was amazing as Peeta, and Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, and Lenny Kravitz were magnificent as Haymitch, Effie, and Cinna, respectively. The odds were definitely in my favor today!! So can't wait for the Blu-ray!!
My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...er=wnicholas76

Steve Jobs (1955-2011)

Paul Walker (1973-2013)
Old 03-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #3088
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
Out there...past the trees...

Just saw "The Hunger Games," and it met my expectations. I gave it a 4/5.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:07 AM   #3089
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2009

The Hunger Games 10/10
Old 03-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #3090
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Dallas, TX

My review of THE HUNGER GAMES.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:45 AM   #3091

Mar 2012

21 Jump Street 8/10 - Really funny movie, a day one buy on Blu-ray for me.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #3092
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
York, somewhere else in England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve46 View Post
Continuing my 100 movies series:

88. There Will Be Blood (2007)
Drama, 158 minutes
Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson
Starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano and Ciaran Hinds

If you ever explore threads asking people to list the movies they find the most boring, you'll see that There Will Be Blood is often mentioned. I can understand why. The opening 14-and-a-half minutes doesn't contain any dialogue unless you count the occasional grunt or cry of pain. The score is often unsettling and unlike anything you would expect to hear. The pacing is slow and the film has plenty of painful scenes.

The opening scene is set in 1898 and gives us immediate insight into the character of Daniel Plainview (Day-Lewis). We see him working alone, prospecting for oil. It's a physically demanding occupation which is full of danger. One small lapse can cause a severe injury or even death. Plainview falls down a well shaft and breaks his leg, but discovers oil in the process. We then see him crawl backwards as he slowly makes his way into town to register the find. He's one of the most stubborn and driven characters you will ever see portrayed on film.

In 1902, he's working with a group of men, and we are reminded again how dangerous the work is. A tiny mistake results in the death of a man and Plainview adopts his orphaned baby boy.

The story jumps forward several years and we see Plainview and his adopted son, HW, attending a town meeting. Plainview has discovered that the region contains oil and we see him making an offer to extract the oil. His argument is calm, reasonable, and logical. He's quite a salesman. He talks of other offers the town may receive and why his own proposal is the best solution for everyone. We are given the impression that he knows what he's talking about and it's difficult to resist his offer.

When Plainview is visited by Paul Sunday (Dano), the main part of the film begins. Paul offers to reveal the location of land rich in oil and he negotiates a price for the information. Plainview visits the town and finds that the information is accurate. He begins buying up all the available land.

The film contains a power struggle between Plainview and Eli Sunday (also played by Dano). Eli becomes Plainview's enemy immediately by negotiating a higher price for his father's ranch than Plainview expected to pay. Eli is also the town's priest and he seeks power and recognition at every available opportunity. Plainview sees him as a fake and doesn't seem to have any religious beliefs of his own, but he's forced to bow to Eli's wishes on several occasions.

I've barely touched on the plot, but I won't reveal any more. This is a sprawling story spanning several decades. It's one of the most intense character studies that I've ever seen. You'll see how Plainview relates to other people and his adopted son. He's a ruthless businessman and it's dangerous to cross him. In one scene, we hear his honest thoughts on society:

"I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people."

That last sentence is spoken with irony, but Plainview makes it clear that he understands his own true character. As the story progresses, we see what obsession and hatred can do to a man when it's maintained over a long period of time.

My knowledge of film isn't as deep as you would expect for someone of my age. It's a relatively new obsession in my life. However, I believe that Daniel Day-Lewis delivers the best acting performance I have ever seen. I didn't doubt for a moment that he was a bitter, obsessed, driven man, capable of doing anything to bring him closer to his goals. Day-Lewis is in every scene and the film wouldn't have had the same impact without his astonishing performance.

The technical aspects of the film are also superb. Jonny Greenwood's unusual score is particularly effective. One of my favorite moments happens during a drilling accident when the percussion increases in tempo as the scene unfolds. The cinematography is breathtaking at times. There's an early scene in which Plainview and HW approach the crest of a hill and the distant landscape is revealed. It's one of several moments of extreme beauty in the film.

If the film has a fault, I would say that the final 20 minutes don't quite match the quality of the rest of the story. This closing sequence still works, and contains a few memorable moments, but the first two hours are close to perfect.

If you enjoy character studies that aren't afraid to take the time to tell a story, There Will Be Blood might be your kind of film. If you need action and an upbeat conclusion, then it's probably not for you.

If you like There Will Be Blood:

Daniel Day-Lewis gave another fantastic performance in Scorsese's Gangs of New York. It's a brutal historical drama with strong characterization. Leonardo DiCaprio and Cameron Diaz also star.
Wrong thread Steve
Films of the Summer I'll check out: Guardians of the Galaxy, The Expendables 3, The Rover, Lucy, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.
Best Films of the Year so far: Boyhood, Calvary, Frank, Godzilla, The Raid 2, The LEGO Movie, Under the Skin
Most Recent Blu-Ray Purchases: The LEGO Movie
Old 03-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #3093
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Oshawa, ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Wrong thread Steve
Oops, thanks
Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #3094
Power Member

Apr 2011
South Carolina

Wrath of the Titans - 7/10

Good fun, but nothing really special. I got a quickie out of it and really jived to the strong visuals on display. And to quote the HitFlix critic who reviewed this: "You've got to give it up for something that tries so hard." It does try and everyone in it seems to be having a real blast. Neeson and Fiennes were both great in limited roles and Bill Nighy was a hoot and a half. As was Toby Kebbell. Worthington did do a better job this time out and he did seem more relaxed and at ease with his part. In all, a solid good time that does edge out its predecessor. Congratulations are in order for the filmmakers who pulled it off.
"Someone once told me, that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. And I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all Number One, we're only mortal."-Captain Jean-Luc Picard

"Speak for yourself sir. I intend to live forever." - Number One
Old 04-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #3095
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Dallas, TX

My review of WRATH OF THE TITANS in Post-Converted 3D.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #3096

Nov 2011
Melbourne, Australia

Mirror Mirror (2012) - 5/5, A++, PERFECT, SPLENDID.

I saw this movie on Friday and I just can't say enough great things about it.
Mirror Mirror (2012) - The best Snow White movie EVER!!!

Lily Collins - The most beautiful Snow White EVER!!!

Legend's Princess Lili - The most beautiful princess-in-distress

Frozen's Elsa - Attractive, alluring and sexy with the loveliest hips.

Last edited by adamclark83; 04-01-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #3097
Power Member

Apr 2011
South Carolina

The Hunger Games - 10/10
"Someone once told me, that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. And I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all Number One, we're only mortal."-Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #3098
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Dallas, TX

My review of Jeff, Who Lives At Home.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #3099
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
The Great White North
Send a message via Yahoo to Glassroots

The Hunger Games: 9/10

- becoming a big Jennifer Lawrence fan, excellent film ....loved it!!
Rest in Peace Paul.

PSN ID: glassroots

GO WINNIPEG JETS GO!!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #3100
Power Member

Apr 2011
South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts Ghost View Post
Rerunning my review from a few weeks ago. Seen in three times now, and nothing has changed for me.

My Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_The_Strange View Post
Haven't been to the theaters since last fall, when I saw "Captain America."

But, last night I had the itch to go see something. I went and saw "John Carter," and loved it. Gave it a 4/5, and found it to be a very satisfying piece of escapism.
I'll have to check that out now. Thank you.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies