Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$91.03
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist (Blu-ray)
$20.60
Juan of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$8.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #21

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodermin View Post
I hope Warner announce this title soon. I love this film!! Any possible release date?
I could see Warner getting this released between September-November for Black Friday/Christmas.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011

How many people have been on The Great Movie Ride down at the old Disney-MGM Studios, now Disney's Hollywood Studios (I hate the new name)? I'd love to be able to do a marathon of all the films whose played in the queue in order of appearance. And I loved this trailer.

Would be a strange marathon.
DVD Aficionado - quickdraw_ltd's DVD Collection

Bedroom Theater
Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E3 42-Inch
Sony PlayStation 3 160GB
VIZIO VSB200
Old 02-20-2012, 12:17 AM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2010
Miami, FL

This is a speculation thread. Warner has not made any confirmation as of late. Wishlists.
"GIVE THEM NOTHING! BUT, TAKE FROM THEM... EVERYTHING!"
Old 02-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #24
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas_King
This is a speculation thread. Warner has not made any confirmation as of late. Wishlists.
Warners has made statements about this release in the past. It may be considered speculation, but there's one thing for sure, it is not a wishlist!!.
US/UK films that need to be on blu-ray:The Little Foxes (1941 Wyler), The Court Jester (1955 Frank/Panama), Thunderheart (1992, Apted) , Lone Star (1996, Sayles)

Foreign films that need to be on blu-ray:
Raise The Red Lantern (1991, Zhang), The Best of Youth (2003, Giordana), Still Life (2006, Jia), 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007, Mungiu)
Old 02-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Here, There and Everywhere

Between this and Lawrence- I anxiously await.

I've heard Warners did a from-scratch restoration on this film. This is one I cannot wait for.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

The UK release date is July 2nd so I presume the US release date would be around the same time.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Here, There and Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
The UK release date is July 2nd so I presume the US release date would be around the same time.
Amazon UK must've just pulled the date?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellOilJunior View Post
I don't think Amazon ever had the date, I believe it was got straight from Warner.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #29
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Q View Post
How many people have been on The Great Movie Ride down at the old Disney-MGM Studios, now Disney's Hollywood Studios (I hate the new name)? I'd love to be able to do a marathon of all the films whose played in the queue in order of appearance. And I loved this trailer.

A little Footlight Parade and The Roaring 20's wouldn't do you any harm.
(What trailer, btw?)
Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #30

Mar 2011

Quote:
Revised date of July 16th now showing at Amazon UK. Hopefully a US release date will showup soon. If not, Amazon UK is showing it as region free and £11.99
Old 03-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #31
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
North Carolina

Quote:
Between this and Lawrence- I anxiously await.

I've heard Warners did a from-scratch restoration on this film. This is one I cannot wait for.
It would not surprise me if they did a great restoration.
I even rememer when laserdiscs were the rage and when dvds first came out Singin' In The Rain was given high marks of both formats.
I would think in the US Warner woud give it a digibook release, but regardless I anxiously await.
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

"...but you will always be homosexual Michael, always, until the day you die."

" I told you 158 times I hate little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes F.U.' it took me three hours to realize that F.U. stood for Felix Ungar."
Old 03-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu View Post
It would not surprise me if they did a great restoration.
I even rememer when laserdiscs were the rage and when dvds first came out Singin' In The Rain was given high marks of both formats.
I would think in the US Warner woud give it a digibook release, but regardless I anxiously await.
Me too Atreyu... me too!
Drink up, me arties, Yo Ho……

Sony KDSR70XBR2 70", Pioneer Elite BDP95FD Blu Ray player, Pioneer Elite VSX92THX Receiver, SVS 5.1 Speaker System: SVS MTS-01 (Left and Right), SVS MCS-01 (Center), SVS MBS-01 (Surrounds), SVS PB13 Ultra (Sub)
Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #33
Power Member

Oct 2011
Canada

Quote:
No release yet.

... but it's time this terrific film gets a thread.

What we know so far:

When: 2012 to coincide with its 60th anniversary (suits love round numbers).

What:
Safe to say it may be a UCE? I'd prefer a digibook but I really want to see this film in hi-def.

The transfer: from what i've read online it's a from-scratch restoration. I'm expecting a spectacular release.

Release date: My guess is Spring 2012
Singin' in the Rain holds a special place for me ShellOilJunior. In my teens and tweens I couldn't stand musicals...I could never get past their stagey artifice. In fact, I quit my very first job as an usher (anyone remember those?) because The Sound of Music had settled in for a long, l-o-n-g run, and...just...wouldn't...go...away. For years afterwards, you couldn't pay me to watch a musical. It was the quickest way to brush me off from any group trip to the movies.

And then, in the 80s, I finally got enticed into seeing Singin' in the Rain by a Technicolor enthusiast with a pristine IB print...I simply didn't know how to say "No" to that, and am forever grateful I didn't. Since then, I've owned this movie in every home video format. But it's lasting legacy was that it finally allowed me to appreciate the artistry of the movie musical form on film, something I never saw before (and still don't) in the overblown Rogers & Hammerstein manifestation of the genre.

So Singin' in the Rain is definitely a touchstone movie for me, and I'll be there day one for its Blu-ray. With the recent Best Picture win of The Artist, a spring 2012 release would also be very timely. So bring it on!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:10 AM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Announced for July 16 in the UK. I'm sure we'll get it around the same time.

Singin' in the Rain Blu-ray
Old 03-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #35
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROclockCK View Post
Singin' in the Rain holds a special place for me ShellOilJunior. In my teens and tweens I couldn't stand musicals...I could never get past their stagey artifice. In fact, I quit my very first job as an usher (anyone remember those?) because The Sound of Music had settled in for a long, l-o-n-g run, and...just...wouldn't...go...away. For years afterwards, you couldn't pay me to watch a musical. It was the quickest way to brush me off from any group trip to the movies.
Don't feel alone: Four entire years of Sound of Music in theaters both popularized and blackened the name of musicals for an entire generation after it.
Even Mary Poppins retroactively suffered the guilt-by-association with G-rated Julie Andrews, and that's just not right.

Quote:
And then, in the 80s, I finally got enticed into seeing Singin' in the Rain by a Technicolor enthusiast with a pristine IB print...I simply didn't know how to say "No" to that, and am forever grateful I didn't. Since then, I've owned this movie in every home video format. But it's lasting legacy was that it finally allowed me to appreciate the artistry of the movie musical form on film, something I never saw before (and still don't) in the overblown Rogers & Hammerstein manifestation of the genre.
It's not just that Singin' is "The musical for people who hate musicals", you could say that about just about any Gene Kelly musical. Even "Cover Girl".
(Then again, you could say that about almost any musical written by Comden & Green, like "The Band Wagon".)

And hey, "The King & I" was Rodgers & Hammerstein TOO, y'know!

Last edited by EricJ; 03-31-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
AMITY ISLAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbess View Post
Day 1!

I expect it to be spectacular. Warner Bros. has this UltraResolution process that perfectly lines ups the three strips of the original Technicolor. It will look better than opening night in 1952. Classic film!
The new restoration will be premiering at this years TCM fest in about 2 weeks, at the chinese the same theatre that the finale of the movie takes place at, and that held its world premiere back in 1952.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #37

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Q View Post

Wally - great comment. My family and I visit Disney World every year and love the Great Movie Ride. Each time I make a mental note to watch one or two of the movies featured in the ride. It's directly responsible for my personal discovery of many great Bogart and Cagney movies.

One of my favorite moments in the ride is when Gene Kelly is singing in the rain! Can't wait to own this on BD.
Pioneer Elite VSX-52 AVR
Paradigm SE 3 floor-standing speakers
SVS PB12-NSD subwoofer
Panasonic THX 50" plasma
Old 03-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #38
Power Member

Oct 2011
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
It's not just that Singin' is "The musical for people who hate musicals", you could say that about just about any Gene Kelly musical. Even "Cover Girl".

(Then again, you could say that about almost any musical written by Comden & Green, like "The Band Wagon".)
Those were the talents I began regularly checking out on Laserdisc and then later on DVD. Most of these movies I knew almost nothing about because I had completely ignored the genre for so long. My biggest surprise was not only were they fun to watch, and superbly crafted productions, but a heckuva lot smarter than I ever imagined. Many post war musicals, which seemed fluffy on the surface, were as sharply written in their book as the lyrics, with terrific performances on and off the floor. I was really reminded of this recently while watching Pal Joey. Snappy stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
And hey, "The King & I" was Rodgers & Hammerstein TOO, y'know!
That one falls somewhere in between for me EricJ. My entry point for it was Deborah Kerr, whose Black Narcissus remains one of my all-time favourite golden era films. And although The King & I was probably the most watchable Rogers & Hammerstein production for me, I've never been drawn back to it. I get its appeal; I just don't deeply share it.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #39
Expert Member

Sep 2008

My favorite musical. They better release this soon.

EDIT: Actually it's in cineplex odeon digital classic cinema in August so it likely won't be available until the theatre run is over.

Last edited by vertigo12314; 03-31-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #40

Aug 2008
Tucson, AZ

A 'must have' for any collection.
"The next time you got nothin' to do, and lots of time to do it, come up and see me." Mae West
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico
Rango: "Is this heaven?" Spirit of the West: "If it were, we'd be eatin' pop tarts with Kim Novak."
”Conscience. That stuff... that stuff will drive you nuts.” Terry, On the Waterfront
"Anybody not wearing two million sunscreen is gonna have a really bad day."
"Hey kid, it ain't that kind of movie." Harrison Ford
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America