COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kundo (Blu-ray)
$17.98
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$100.82
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.67
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
American Horror Story: Coven (Blu-ray)
$32.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
Power Member

Sep 2009
Default Sony NSZ-GT1 Internet TV w/ Google TV Blu-ray Player w/ WiFi

This Sony Blu-ray player

Looks really cool to me and despite the criticisms and limitations of the Google TV platform and the keyboard remote, (which I LOVED at the SonyStyle store), I have wanted this for a loooooooong time and prices are falling. I hope some of you guys can give your thoughts about it if you own it. For those that don't, here is

Amazon's product page,

as well as Sony's

where you can find specifications and reviews. Begin discussions!
Old 09-03-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
I've gone into outer space to destroy another race.

I opened a thread about this, but it seems no one cares. I got mine for free when I purchased my 55 inch as a promo that Best Buy and Sony were running.

I love it. The internet has been great. I have it hooked up via an ethernet bridge and it works just great. I don't have a laptop, so if I ever wanted to use my computer I had to go to our room where the computer is. Now I can access it sitting on my couch. Nice!!

I got an e-mail from Sony saying they were going to upgrade through the firmware to make it 3D capable, this fall.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Power Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.Zombie View Post
I opened a thread about this, but it seems no one cares. I got mine for free when I purchased my 55 inch as a promo that Best Buy and Sony were running.

I love it. The internet has been great. I have it hooked up via an ethernet bridge and it works just great. I don't have a laptop, so if I ever wanted to use my computer I had to go to our room where the computer is. Now I can access it sitting on my couch. Nice!!

I got an e-mail from Sony saying they were going to upgrade through the firmware to make it 3D capable, this fall.
Col, sorry, I didn't see your thread when I opened mine. Before, the player was incorrectly listed as the NSX-GT1, so when I searched NSZ-GT1 it didn't come up. I enjoy very much, though!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #4

Feb 2012
Louisville, KY

I also own this player - only bought it a month or two ago. I've been enjoying it ever since. I do understand that the early adopters that bought first thing had a less than optimal experience as they waited for the software to be updated to where it is today. The hardware internally should have at least one generation of updates still left in it -- I heard there would be a major refresh sometime this year according to Google. My guess is that it has at least another six months of top-of-the-line feel to it though. I'm not worried because I love all of the Internet connected functionality (apps, online streaming, etc.) -- if a new hardware generation is released, I will probably just buy the new one and move this unit to another room.

--Kidd
Old 02-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Banned

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
This Sony Blu-ray player

Looks really cool to me and despite the criticisms and limitations of the Google TV platform and the keyboard remote, (which I LOVED at the SonyStyle store), I have wanted this for a loooooooong time and prices are falling. I hope some of you guys can give your thoughts about it if you own it. For those that don't, here is

Amazon's product page,

as well as Sony's

where you can find specifications and reviews. Begin discussions!
What would you consider an upgrade from this model?

Last edited by maleaco; 03-08-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:17 AM   #6
Power Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleaco View Post
What would you consider an upgrade from this model?
As in a player to replace it? There is another coming soon that was at CES, the NSZ-GP9, which will be a BD player with integrated Google TV support and a new remote that looks very cool, as well as a set top box with all the functionality sans disc support. I see no reason not to get the one without the disc integration unless you already have a BD player where you'd put it, seeing as Logitech has dropped out and won't be making the Revue anymore.

LINK

Last edited by Rinzler; 03-07-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #7

Feb 2012
Louisville, KY

Quote:
... I see no reason to get the one without the disc integration unless you already have a BD player where you'd put it, seeing as Logitech has dropped out and won't be making the Revue anymore.
There's a certain group who would want the BD drive, even if they didn't intend to use it. The units which include BD support are licensed to playback DTS content. There are certain apps that let you play media from local USB drive or network share, but in order for a particular codec to be played, the unit has to be licensed. So if you want to watch a video file with DTS soundtrack, then you'd want the version with BD drive.

--Kidd
Old 03-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Power Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKidd View Post
There's a certain group who would want the BD drive, even if they didn't intend to use it. The units which include BD support are licensed to playback DTS content. There are certain apps that let you play media from local USB drive or network share, but in order for a particular codec to be played, the unit has to be licensed. So if you want to watch a video file with DTS soundtrack, then you'd want the version with BD drive.

--Kidd
I meant there is no reason not to get the ones with disc support, I am totally for it! My mistake.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #9

Feb 2012
Louisville, KY

Quote:
I meant there is no reason not to get the ones with disc support, I am totally for it! My mistake.
No worries, reading it again, it does sound like a double negative which I guess confused me. Just a misunderstanding.

--Kidd
Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #10

Mar 2012

I got one a couple of weeks ago.

I've yet to fully explore it, but it's a welcome upgrade from my iPhone as my primary internet device.

I find the mouse replacement on the remote somewhat difficult to control, but I hope that usage will improve my skill level.

It's my first BD player as well, so I'm having a good time.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #11

Feb 2012
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by makenshi View Post
Also, what makes Google TV better than Apple TV?
Apps available for Google TV. I do not believe Apps are on Apple TV yet. I know they intend to open it up eventually, but Google TV was there first.

Also, one important item for me was the best Youtube experience. Google TV offers the best Youtube experience of all set-tops and game systems I've tried.

As far as I'm concerned, the only reason someone should prefer another box is if Hulu is a priority to them. Hulu are being punks and refuse to let Google TV connect to their web content even though the browser is fully capable. Likely they just intend to extort money from Google.

--Kidd
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders