COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Futurama: Volume 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Complete Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Monsieur Verdoux (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
High School Confidential (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Royal Tenenbaums (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Armored Attack! (Blu-ray)
$17.98
Being John Malkovich (Blu-ray)
$19.99
True Romance (Blu-ray)
$4.75
The Musketeers: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Death Bed: The Bed That Eats (Blu-ray)
$16.07

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 03-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #561

Mar 2012
Default Region free Blu Ray Player in Australia

Hello, i am new to the forums so I am not sure if this is in the right threads. I have been looking for a region free blu ray player that I can buy in Australia. Ive seen some overseas but Im not even going to consider it because I know the shipping price will be crazy. I want a region free player because I want to buy the NTSC dvds + blu ray because they have the best editions, but i also want it to play PAL. I am looking for the cheapest option possible as I am on short on money atm. Also i would prefer that it had USB input with AVI, DIVX, MP4 and MKV playback. Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 03-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #562

Mar 2012

I have blu ray on my laptop, but do not want to hook it up to my home theatre every time I want to watch a movie. Thinking of buying the Panasonic DMP-BDT310 with built in wifi. I know I can watch netflix and youtube on it, but I've subscibed to some online indian channels....can I still watch them through this wifi? Thanks a lot for all the help!!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #563

Mar 2012
Smile LG Cinema and blu ray players

Hi everyone, I am looking for a 3D blu ray player that will work ok with my LG Cinema TV.

I am on a budget of no more than $150,- I was looking at the Soniq B500 and B501 (can't find a difference between the 2), but not sure if they will support the LG Cinema function on the TV?
Old 03-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #564

Mar 2012

Hi, first time posting long time reader. I currently have a PS3 60 GB FAT with SACD using HDMI since 2006 and it still runs great. I'm looking to replace it with a OPPO-93. Will I see any benifits? Thank you all.
DERICK
Old 03-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #565

Sep 2011

UK'er looking for a universal/all region/s dvd and bluray player. help

thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #566

Mar 2012
Default Down to 3 players

I recently purchased a Samsung BD-E5700. The player is worthless and will be taken back; I have had it for less than a week. The SmartHub is insanely slow - just getting to the red Netflix screen (the primary reason for getting it) takes at least 2 minutes. The Wii can connect faster than that! I even noticed that resuming an episode of The Walking Dead took close to 1-1/2 minutes! Additionally, Samsung provided some substantial misinformation: their product flyer provided to stores gives the impression that the model comes with a "fully optimized web browser." 3 phone calls to Samsung later, apparently this model does NOT come with a browser. That was one of the main marketing points the store used to convince me not to get an LG.

I have decided on one of 4 models: Sony S390, Panasonic BD77, Panasonic BD87, and Panasonic BDT210. I know...3 Panasonics and 1 Sony - so obviously Panasonic is the favorite. Let me explain what features matter most.
  1. Built-in wifi
  2. Steady, quality streaming for Netflix
  3. Play movies off a FAT32-formatted USB HDD

HMDI was not listed because that is something of a given. It will be connected directly to a Panasonic 720p HDTV via HDMI. I am not concerned about matching brands.

I would like some opinions; I hope to pick it up this weekend as I am taking that Samsung back as soon as humanly possible. I know everyone has their personal preference, but I am really torn. I want to make sure my money is well spent for quality; my fiancee deserves to have her Netflix and Twilight blu-rays be beautiful.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #567

Feb 2010
Default Help!

Hi! I am buying a blu-ray player as a gift and while I would love to buy something fancy my price range is sadly only about $80 (or less). If you guys had any suggestions, I would appreciate it SO much. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #568

Mar 2012

As a follow up, I ended up getting the Sony s390. So far, I have to say that I am quite pleased with the purchase; it is above and beyond a better product than the Samsung BD-E5700 that I previously bought. Not only did it cost only $100 (the Samsung was $130), but it includes a web browser. Admittedly, it is the same crappy browser as the PS3, but it's there if I want to use it. My fiancee can even check Facebook from it.

The WiFi on the Sony is many moons faster than the Samsung. Getting into Netflix and starting a program is much more reasonable, only negligibly longer than the PS3 or Wii. Setting it up was easy. I do think that the strength of reception for a wireless signal was a bit better on the Samsung as the Sony seems fluctuate quite a bit. HD on Netflix doesn't always look HD; I believe the inconsistent WiFi reception is responsible. It took about 4 tries before it was steady enough to connect to the Sony server in order to receive the software update for the player.

Another difference is playing media from an external USB device. The Samsung stuttered when playing video files. The stuttering wasn't anything that seriously disrupted the viewing, but it was annoying. Nothing has even so much as skipped a beat thus far on the Sony, and I am using the exact same files.

It uses the same UI as the PS3, the cross media bar (XMB). I have never liked the XMB interface - to me, it is ugly and cumbersome. It is like playing a modern RPG that still uses text boxes instead of visual cutscenes. It feels text-heavy and archaic, but it gets the job done.

Supposedly, a standard USB keyboard can work with it, but I haven't tried that aspect. I would say that it should because the thought of having to use the remote for the web browser makes my soul ache.

All in all, I would recommend this player to someone who needs a functional, fast WiFi blu-ray player. I especially love the compact size of the unit. It's no bigger than a cable receiver. The price was right, and I have no complaints about functionality. I believe that the WiFi signal received would be stronger if I could reposition the player.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #569
Power Member

Nov 2009
Washington State

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaj0619 View Post
Hi! I am buying a blu-ray player as a gift and while I would love to buy something fancy my price range is sadly only about $80 (or less). If you guys had any suggestions, I would appreciate it SO much. Thanks!
$80 bucks, huh? The Sony BDP-S185 would be a good choice as long as the recipient isn't into streaming video services...
Forget The Evil Dead; what George Lucas has done to Star Wars since 1997 is truly "The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror".

Svenge's Neon Genesis Evangelion Home Video Compendium
My Blu-ray Collection | My Anime DVD Collection | My Laserdisc Collection
My gear: LG 32LN5300 (LED TV) | Sony BDP-S360 (BD/DVD) | Pioneer CLD-D606 (LD)
Old 03-22-2012, 03:30 AM   #570

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post
$80 bucks, huh? The Sony BDP-S185 would be a good choice as long as the recipient isn't into streaming video services...
Thanks so much! I am now trying to decide between this, the Panasonic BD75, and the LG BD611. Which would you recommend?

Last edited by jaj0619; 03-22-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #571
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
North of Sixty

[Show spoiler]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKage View Post
I recently purchased a Samsung BD-E5700. The player is worthless and will be taken back; I have had it for less than a week. The SmartHub is insanely slow - just getting to the red Netflix screen (the primary reason for getting it) takes at least 2 minutes. The Wii can connect faster than that! I even noticed that resuming an episode of The Walking Dead took close to 1-1/2 minutes! Additionally, Samsung provided some substantial misinformation: their product flyer provided to stores gives the impression that the model comes with a "fully optimized web browser." 3 phone calls to Samsung later, apparently this model does NOT come with a browser. That was one of the main marketing points the store used to convince me not to get an LG.

I have decided on one of 4 models: Sony S390, Panasonic BD77, Panasonic BD87, and Panasonic BDT210. I know...3 Panasonics and 1 Sony - so obviously Panasonic is the favorite. Let me explain what features matter most.
  1. Built-in wifi
  2. Steady, quality streaming for Netflix
  3. Play movies off a FAT32-formatted USB HDD

HMDI was not listed because that is something of a given. It will be connected directly to a Panasonic 720p HDTV via HDMI. I am not concerned about matching brands.

I would like some opinions; I hope to pick it up this weekend as I am taking that Samsung back as soon as humanly possible. I know everyone has their personal preference, but I am really torn. I want to make sure my money is well spent for quality; my fiancee deserves to have her Netflix and Twilight blu-rays be beautiful.

[Show spoiler]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKage View Post
As a follow up, I ended up getting the Sony s390. So far, I have to say that I am quite pleased with the purchase; it is above and beyond a better product than the Samsung BD-E5700 that I previously bought. Not only did it cost only $100 (the Samsung was $130), but it includes a web browser. Admittedly, it is the same crappy browser as the PS3, but it's there if I want to use it. My fiancee can even check Facebook from it.

The WiFi on the Sony is many moons faster than the Samsung. Getting into Netflix and starting a program is much more reasonable, only negligibly longer than the PS3 or Wii. Setting it up was easy. I do think that the strength of reception for a wireless signal was a bit better on the Samsung as the Sony seems fluctuate quite a bit. HD on Netflix doesn't always look HD; I believe the inconsistent WiFi reception is responsible. It took about 4 tries before it was steady enough to connect to the Sony server in order to receive the software update for the player.

Another difference is playing media from an external USB device. The Samsung stuttered when playing video files. The stuttering wasn't anything that seriously disrupted the viewing, but it was annoying. Nothing has even so much as skipped a beat thus far on the Sony, and I am using the exact same files.

It uses the same UI as the PS3, the cross media bar (XMB). I have never liked the XMB interface - to me, it is ugly and cumbersome. It is like playing a modern RPG that still uses text boxes instead of visual cutscenes. It feels text-heavy and archaic, but it gets the job done.

Supposedly, a standard USB keyboard can work with it, but I haven't tried that aspect. I would say that it should because the thought of having to use the remote for the web browser makes my soul ache.

All in all, I would recommend this player to someone who needs a functional, fast WiFi blu-ray player. I especially love the compact size of the unit. It's no bigger than a cable receiver. The price was right, and I have no complaints about functionality. I believe that the WiFi signal received would be stronger if I could reposition the player.

Thank you for sharing. I'll be looking for a player to replace our PS3 and your info was helpful.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #572

Mar 2008

Anyone know of a blu-ray player that has Amazon VOD, Netflix AND plays MKV files? Preferrably it would play the MKV files WITH HD audio? I'm trying to talk myself out of a Roku box and into a new blu-ray player. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #573
Expert Member

Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Send a message via AIM to Rhoq

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post
The Sony BDP-S185 is a perfectly capable streamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post
Anyone know of a blu-ray player that has Amazon VOD, Netflix AND plays MKV files? Preferrably it would play the MKV files WITH HD audio? I'm trying to talk myself out of a Roku box and into a new blu-ray player. Thanks.
Sony BDP-S185, it's cheap (under $90) and has all of the features you are looking for. The only downside is it does not have wireless. It needs be hardwired or connected to a wireless bridge. I've got one as a secondary player (in my bedroom) and am very happy with it.
Peace--->Rhoq

My BD Collection

PlayStation Network ID (PS4, PS3 and Vita) / Nintendo Network ID (Wii U): RhoqSolidEnt

Last edited by Rhoq; 06-13-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #574

Jul 2007
Default Load times between Sony 590 and Panasonic 220

I have been trying to decide between these two players. Was going to go with Sony if for no other reason than it is more interesting looking, but then a CNET review and CNET user complaints about the Sony's load times made me think twice. Has anyone seen any shootouts between these players with regard to loading times?
Old 06-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #575

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goze211 View Post
I have been trying to decide between these two players. Was going to go with Sony if for no other reason than it is more interesting looking, but then a CNET review and CNET user complaints about the Sony's load times made me think twice. Has anyone seen any shootouts between these players with regard to loading times?
Own them both and the Panny 220 is a far better player compared to the Sony 590. The load times to me seem to be equal but as far as performance I like the Panny 220 much better. I do not stream at all so I cant say which one would be better for that.
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AND NEVER SURRENDER
Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 AM   #576

Jun 2012

Hey, this is my first post. Im wondering if i should upgrade my old blu-ray player.

I just bought the Mordaunt Short Carnival 5.1 package and a Denon 2312ci av receiver and I was looking at my old blu ray player (Samsung BDP-1500) and i realized there are a lot of formats that it cant play and the loading time has been bugging me a little. I looked at a few models and i dont use netflix or anything like that so im not too concerned about wifi. It really just boils down to the AV quality of the movie.

For video it only plays VC-1 / MPEG2 / H.264.
For audio it has Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD but no DTS-HD MA.

Is there any point in buying a new entry level Blu-ray player or should I just stick with what I have?
Old 07-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #577
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Nashville, TN

My PoS Samsung just broke after I had it for just over two years.

I always had issues with it, so I'm not that upset. Just curious what I should buy.

I hear Panasonic and Sony are the best (reasonably priced) players. I prefer to spend no more than around $120. If I have to spend more than that for a good player, I may just consider getting a PS3 - but I really don't want to.

I wish I could help everyone else out who haven't gotten answers yet, but I know nothing about this stuff.

What do you guys think I should get?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #578

Dec 2008
Default A few requirements...

Hi folks. I'm in the market for a new player. Needs to do the following

1. Play mkv with dtshd and truehd audio from USB drive.
2. Mount ISO files of DVD and blu ray rips with menus from USB drive
3. Decent set of steaming services preferably with amazon void and hbo go.
4. Fast interface/playback spin up.

Possible?

Thanks.
Receiver: Denon AVR-2310ci
Fronts: Axiom Audio M60v2
Center: Axiom Audio VP-150
Rears: Axiom Audio QS8 v3
Back: Axiom Audio QS8 v3
Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD
TV: 58" Samsung PN58C550 Plasma
Blu Ray: Samsung BD-E6500

Last edited by ridergroov1; 07-09-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #579

Jun 2009
sydney, australia
Australia Region-free Blu-ray Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseCentaur9 View Post
Hello, i am new to the forums so I am not sure if this is in the right threads. I have been looking for a region free blu ray player that I can buy in Australia. Ive seen some overseas but Im not even going to consider it because I know the shipping price will be crazy. I want a region free player because I want to buy the NTSC dvds + blu ray because they have the best editions, but i also want it to play PAL. I am looking for the cheapest option possible as I am on short on money atm. Also i would prefer that it had USB input with AVI, DIVX, MP4 and MKV playback. Thanks in advance!!!!
I find the Kogan very good and cheap (about A$110). Allows changing regions. Just open draw, press Setup and 7252.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #580

Sep 2008
Longueuil, Qc, Canada
Default BP player that handle well DVD

Hi,
the up converter DVD play my parents has seems to be dying.
While changing the player, why not being future ready for them and get a BP player !?
So what would be the best player with wifi (for updates) picture quality & good DVD handling ?

Thanks all

DJ Matt
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders