Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Sale is Live, From $3.99 »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$7.99
1 hr ago
The LEGO Movie (Blu-ray)
$8.99
46 min ago
The King's Speech (Blu-ray)
$3.99
1 hr ago
Killing Them Softly (Blu-ray)
$3.99
13 hrs ago
American Hustle (Blu-ray)
$6.00

Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$3.99
5 hrs ago
Casablanca (Blu-ray)
$5.99
4 hrs ago
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
19 hrs ago
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Blu-ray)
$4.99
16 hrs ago
Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Mirror Mirror (Blu-ray)
$4.99
1 hr ago
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$9.00

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
19 hrs ago
The Sandlot (Blu-ray)
$4.99
6 hrs ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 02-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #961
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Los Angeles

Hey guys,I noticed a few of you said you've visited HSU in California (they are still located in orange county im guessing), is it worth visiting? Do they have a bunch of different subs available to demo? I'm only like 45 mins away so i kinda wanna take a tour although that might not be a good idea considering I won't be able to sleep for like a month afterwords until I get a new sub
SVS
Pioneer ELITE
Onkyo
Panamax
Audioquest
Old 02-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #962
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHX View Post
Hey guys,I noticed a few of you said you've visited HSU in California (they are still located in orange county im guessing), is it worth visiting? Do they have a bunch of different subs available to demo? I'm only like 45 mins away so i kinda wanna take a tour although that might not be a good idea considering I won't be able to sleep for like a month afterwords until I get a new sub
Yes they still do have a demo room. Call the 800 number and talk with Pete to arrange a tour ahead of time. Bring a check book then you won't have any problem sleeping.
AL
“If at first you don't succeed, try something easier.”

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Denon AVR-4311ci, DR-M10HX Monster HTS-5000 Outlaw Model 750
Klipsch Forte II, RC-62 II, IW-100, KSB 1.1
Velodyne VA 1012 Hsu Research ULS-15 Triple Drive
Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #963
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Los Angeles

Forget Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory... Once I walk into that demo room...show's over The HSU golden ticket when I get home Im probaby gonna want to burn my klipsch and BIC subs
SVS
Pioneer ELITE
Onkyo
Panamax
Audioquest
Old 03-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #964

Sep 2011
Whittier, CA

HHX:
Yes HSU Research is still in Orange County. They are right off the 91fwy, exit Kramer Blvd. Its in the bussiness building section the used to be the FunZone (next to Camelot) Yes it is very worth the 45min drive! Their demo room has every single sub they carry (even dual VTF-15Hs & dual ULS-15s) the only sub they rarely have room for is the MBM-12. Call & make an appt, Pete is very nice & very helpful. I went there 3-4 times before i was able to buy from them. Bring some CDs/Blurays to demo if you like but they have a handful of music & movie demos they show you. You'll get a new appreciation for the sound of their bookshef speakers too, fantastic for the price!!!

If you would like a demo at my place, i have a VTF-15H & an MBM-12 in my livingroom (open area approx 8500cuft) This way you hear their room & an actual living space thats been setup properly. Its up to you just hit me up honest, ive given others demos from audioholics forums. I live in Whittier so not sure if thats further or closer than HSU from you.

Theil24:
Yes the VTF-15H will be a pretty big noticable improvement over your eD. Much more output, deeper extension & much more headroom/less distortion. Its a solid 1-2 steps up from your 12". Its also a suprisingly musical sub for a 15". This is because its so good in the 30-60hz octave. With all the different optiions of running it in you are pretty much guaranteed to find the setting that fits your room & personal taste.

Beware however because its a very large sub!! But also remember that we are dealing with the laws of physics here & a large enclosure is needed to give you deep bass at high volumes....mmmmmm!....deeeep baassss! Haha

I just watched Real Steal & holy, i couldnt believe how great that movie sounded. One of the best demo discs for sure. Whats also great about that bluray is the first preview before the movie is for The Avengers. Even the trailer for that movie sounds amazing!! Cant wait for that flick.
5.2 Livingroom Theater
Panasonic TC-P54V10 • Yamaha RX-A2000
Emotiva XPA-5 • Sony BDP-S550
B&W (683-Mains) (HTM-61-Center) (685-Surrounds)
HSU: VTF-15H • HSU: MBM-12II
DIY "SubDudes" • Shure SE215 "Buds"
Ultralink Interconnects • APC-C5
Lenco L75 Turntable w/Ortofon 2M-Red & Bellari VP130
Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #965
Expert Member

Jun 2008
Zanesville,Ohio PSN-DimeMecka
Send a message via AIM to DimeMecka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoteo80 View Post
HHX:

I just watched Real Steal & holy, i couldnt believe how great that movie sounded. One of the best demo discs for sure. Whats also great about that bluray is the first preview before the movie is for The Avengers. Even the trailer for that movie sounds amazing!! Cant wait for that flick.
I just recently watched it also and very good LFE my friend!
Pionner-1018AH-k, Emotiva-XPA-5, HSU-VTF15H, Axiom-(M80v3 x2,VP180v3,QS8vs3 x2), Vizio-4O47L, Sony-(BDP-S350,PS3 Slim 120GB), Monoprice-(USP,Speakerwires/Interconnects), Logitech Harmony-H659, Enjoys-Wife,3sons,and of course The MECKA
Old 03-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #966

Sep 2011
Whittier, CA

DimeMecka

Hey buddy you gotta add pics of your new VTF-15H!!...
5.2 Livingroom Theater
Old 03-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #967
Expert Member

May 2010
Carencro, Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimeMecka View Post
I just recently watched it also and very good LFE my friend!
I rented Real Steel the other day, but think I will go ahead and purchase it. LFE was great all the way through the movie. Excellent demo disc for sure.

Like Timo said, we want to see some pics?
Mike's HT:
HDTV - Toshiba Regza 47ZV650U 47" LCD
Blu-ray player - Toshiba BDX2000
Receiver - Integra DTR-40.3
Fronts - Energy RC-10
Center - Energy RC-LCR
Surrounds - Energy RC-10
Sub - HSU VTF-1

Last edited by Miker107; 03-01-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #968
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Los Angeles

[QUOTE=Timoteo80;5859733]HHX:
If you would like a demo at my place, i have a VTF-15H & an MBM-12 in my livingroom (open area approx 8500cuft) This way you hear their room & an actual living space thats been setup properly. Its up to you just hit me up honest, ive given others demos from audioholics forums. I live in Whittier so not sure if thats further or closer than HSU from you.

Thanks man, much appreciated! I live in Sherman Oaks so you are about 50 mins away according to mapquest I'd love to get a demo of that beast, I'm pretty much ready to sell one of my XW-500 sealed subs and my BIC f-12 and put the money towards one VTF-15H it'd be great to hear it in person, i'll hit you up soon. thanx
SVS
Pioneer ELITE
Onkyo
Panamax
Audioquest
Old 03-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #969

Aug 2009
Scottsdale, AZ

Quote:
HHX:
Yes HSU Research is still in Orange County. They are right off the 91fwy, exit Kramer Blvd. Its in the bussiness building section the used to be the FunZone (next to Camelot) Yes it is very worth the 45min drive! Their demo room has every single sub they carry (even dual VTF-15Hs & dual ULS-15s) the only sub they rarely have room for is the MBM-12. Call & make an appt, Pete is very nice & very helpful. I went there 3-4 times before i was able to buy from them. Bring some CDs/Blurays to demo if you like but they have a handful of music & movie demos they show you. You'll get a new appreciation for the sound of their bookshef speakers too, fantastic for the price!!!

Theil24:
Yes the VTF-15H will be a pretty big noticable improvement over your eD. Much more output, deeper extension & much more headroom/less distortion. Its a solid 1-2 steps up from your 12". Its also a suprisingly musical sub for a 15". This is because its so good in the 30-60hz octave. With all the different optiions of running it in you are pretty much guaranteed to find the setting that fits your room & personal taste.

Beware however because its a very large sub!! But also remember that we are dealing with the laws of physics here & a large enclosure is needed to give you deep bass at high volumes....mmmmmm!....deeeep baassss! Haha

Thanks Timoteo80!! That's what I was hoping to hear - a big step up from the A3-300. I really appreciate your input!
Samsung HL67A750 LED DLP
Integra DTR-30.3
Pioneer BDP-51FD
Furman M-8DX Power Conditioner; Harmony One
Athena Technologies AS-F1.2 Mains
Athena Technologies AS-R1.2 Surrounds
Athena Technologies AS-C1.2 Center
Elemental Designs A3-300
Old 03-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #970
Expert Member

Jun 2008

I just finished watching all 3 Matrix Blu's a little while ago and man before I was like ''pffft the audio is all right'' but now I'm like''Holy cow I never heard that before'' It is so fun going back through your Blu collection agian
Pionner-1018AH-k, Emotiva-XPA-5, HSU-VTF15H, Axiom-(M80v3 x2,VP180v3,QS8vs3 x2), Vizio-4O47L, Sony-(BDP-S350,PS3 Slim 120GB), Monoprice-(USP,Speakerwires/Interconnects), Logitech Harmony-H659, Enjoys-Wife,3sons,and of course The MECKA
Old 03-03-2012, 02:55 AM   #971
Expert Member

May 2010
Carencro, Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimeMecka View Post
I just finished watching all 3 Matrix Blu's a little while ago and man before I was like ''pffft the audio is all right'' but now I'm like''Holy cow I never heard that before'' It is so fun going back through your Blu collection agian
haha, me too, after my VTF-1 it was like watching all my movies or the first time. I hear LFE I never knew existed before. It's awesome isn't it?
Mike's HT:
Fronts - Energy RC-10
Center - Energy RC-LCR
Surrounds - Energy RC-10
Sub - HSU VTF-1
Old 03-03-2012, 03:01 AM   #972
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker107 View Post
haha, me too, after my VTF-1 it was like watching all my movies or the first time. I hear LFE I never knew existed before. It's awesome isn't it?
Hey miker, how have you been? What are you up to tonight?
Video: Panasonic 55" P55ST50, Oppo BDP-103
Amplification: Integra DTR-40.2, Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: Jolida FX Tube DAC, MacBook Pro, Audirvana Music Software
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Auralex Subriser
Old 03-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #973
Expert Member

Jun 2008

Quote:
Sure is!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #974
Expert Member

May 2010
Carencro, Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Hey miker, how have you been? What are you up to tonight?
Sorry bud, been in and out of this forum very briefly lately. I've been hanging out in some computer forums lately after purchasing a new laptop following the demise of my old one a few weeks ago. Now it's time to look into some more goodies to improve my setup, particularly in equalization of my new sub. I want to try and get a nice "house curve" in my response if I can and been looking at few things. Not sure want I want to go with yet.
Mike's HT:
Fronts - Energy RC-10
Center - Energy RC-LCR
Surrounds - Energy RC-10
Sub - HSU VTF-1
Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #975

Sep 2011
Whittier, CA

Mike, for EQing your bass id highly recommend getting a Behringer Feedback Destroyer 11XX (forgot last 2 digits), a Dayton Audio mic & download REW (free). The Behringer & REW are designed to work with eachother so its fairly easy once you get it all up & running. This will give you excellent control of your frequency response & you can setup multiple EQs (House, Flat etc.)

I know Velodyne & SVS both make sub EQs but they are pricey. I think one of them is discontinued but they pop up on Audiogon quite a bit.

So has anyone here seen IMMORTALS on bluray yet!!??
Hot D@mn that is another incredibley great sounding movie!! The bass track in it is second to none IMO. Plus the scene where the virgin oracle drops her robe is just rediculous...my goodness!!! I rented it & didnt have time to actually watch it so i flipped through the action scenes to hear it. Truly impressive!!
5.2 Livingroom Theater
Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #976
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Mike, for EQing your bass id highly recommend getting a Behringer Feedback Destroyer 11XX (forgot last 2 digits), a Dayton Audio mic & download REW (free). The Behringer & REW are designed to work with eachother so its fairly easy once you get it all up & running. This will give you excellent control of your frequency response & you can setup multiple EQs (House, Flat etc.)
Its the Behringer 1124P, but I believe it is discontinued. You may find it used. You will also need a mic preamp (I used Behringer Xenyx 502) and a pretty good sound card (no, not the one that came attached on your mobo).

To Mike, using REW is not just plugging in the equipment and running sweeps. There are interim steps like calibrating the mic and sound card to minimize its impact on the measurements. Not trying to discourage you... just setting the right expectations. When my friends and I started calibrating our subs this way, we were told that "it will be easy and straight forward." It wasn't... and we are all tech nerds... two are even professional computer nerds.

I would go to the REW website and go over the entire help section. It is fun to use... once you get a hang of it.

Last edited by Kali157; 03-05-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #977
Expert Member

May 2010
Carencro, Louisiana

Thanks Timo and Kali, I have been looking at that set up ever since I got my new sub. I downloaded and installed REW, and also read through some of the help document but I'm still leaning toward something more automatic like the SMS-1. I don't mind spending a little extra for this convenience. I'm not in a huge hurry so I'll just continue to read and learn from you guys until I make up my mind.
Mike's HT:
Fronts - Energy RC-10
Center - Energy RC-LCR
Surrounds - Energy RC-10
Sub - HSU VTF-1
Old 03-06-2012, 03:09 AM   #978
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Thanks Timo and Kali, I have been looking at that set up ever since I got my new sub. I downloaded and installed REW, and also read through some of the help document but I'm still leaning toward something more automatic like the SMS-1. I don't mind spending a little extra for this convenience. I'm not in a huge hurry so I'll just continue to read and learn from you guys until I make up my mind.
Don't know if you know, but the SMS-1 is available for $350 from Velodyne directly or from Amazon (also Velodyne). My friend has one, and it is very easy to use. The instant feedback to changes is great.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #979

Feb 2010
Ontario

Quote:
Even better is to use REW to measure and use the SMS-1 to EQ based on what REW says.
Samsung 50" 550B
Pio VSX-9040TXH / Pio BDP-120
Emotiva XPA-5
Jamo C-807s / Jamo E-8cen / Jamo C-80 surr
HSU VTF-15H x2
Furman Elite 15i / Velodyne SMS-1
Harmony One
Old 03-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #980
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter View Post
Even better is to use REW to measure and use the SMS-1 to EQ based on what REW says.
Huh, didn't think of that. What advantages did you find going this route? Can REW program the SMS-1 directly like it can the Behringer?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers