Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Aliens (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Suicide Squad 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.95
Preacher: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Lone Wolf and Cub (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Strategic Air Command (Blu-ray)
$19.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Legend of Tarzan (Blu-ray)
$27.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #341
En Ex En Ex is offline
Member
 
Jul 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ME View Post
I can't believe I forgot to ask this, but did Sony finally fix that missing subtitle for "Monty Python ik den Holy Grailen" or whatever it said at the very beginning of the credits? It's been missing on all their special edition DVDs.
That particular fix was present in the most recent DVD edition, so I'd say it's safe to say it's on the Blu-ray. It would be great, though, if someone who owns the disc could confirm this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 AM   #342
jceperley jceperley is offline
Expert Member
 
jceperley's Avatar
 
May 2008
vancouver, bc
-
-
-
-
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Is this the same transfer as the January Columbia/Tri-Star Canadian release?
I don't think there every was a Canadian release in January, amazon.ca was the only site listing a January date, then on the date it changed to "ships in 6 weeks" and only in the past few days changed to "ships in 24 hours" which would mean receiving it sometime next week (release week for the March 6 release).
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #343
arcadeforest arcadeforest is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
arcadeforest's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest
917
54
92
2
Default

Nice to see this get a good review. I't been many years since I've seen this - looking forward to picking this up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #344
dobyblue dobyblue is offline
Super Moderator
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Jul 2006
Gilead
37
595
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jceperley View Post
I don't think there every was a Canadian release in January, amazon.ca was the only site listing a January date, then on the date it changed to "ships in 6 weeks" and only in the past few days changed to "ships in 24 hours" which would mean receiving it sometime next week (release week for the March 6 release).
Makes sense, thanks for the response.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #345
Indiana Jones Indiana Jones is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Aug 2009
Bristol, England
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by En Ex View Post
That particular fix was present in the most recent DVD edition, so I'd say it's safe to say it's on the Blu-ray. It would be great, though, if someone who owns the disc could confirm this.
I will check it tonight and post back.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #346
hsox05 hsox05 is offline
Expert Member
 
hsox05's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Virginia Beach
823
Default

The review made me laugh, because I must be one of the very few that does NOT find humor in this movie. I detest it with all of my soul.
Sony XBR65X850B 65" LED 3D 4K TV with 7.1 Surround
Xbox 1S
Sony STR-DH820
Polk Audio 75t (Fronts)
Polk Audio Monitor70 series II (Right and Left surround)
Polk Audio CS20
Sony HZ970W (HTIB) fronts used as rears
Power Sound Audio XV-30
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #347
kpkelley kpkelley is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
kpkelley's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Framingham, MA
1596
113
152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsox05 View Post
The review made me laugh, because I must be one of the very few that does NOT find humor in this movie. I detest it with all of my soul.
You didn't!?!

[Show spoiler]No sense of humor, whatsoever!


Comedy is subjective, some people get it, some don't. That is why I have such a hard time recommending comedies to people, you never know what someone might or might not find funny.
Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-1150HD
Sony Playstation 4
Oppo BDP-83
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #348
Jutty Jutty is offline
Power Member
 
Jutty's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Beaufort SC (British Expat)
750
30
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsox05 View Post
The review made me laugh, because I must be one of the very few that does NOT find humor in this movie. I detest it with all of my soul.
I find that not very many Americans find this funny,,where as back in the UK nearly everyone grew up with python,knows the humour..maybe this is why when my daughters friends watch python,,some of them just have a blank look on their face
LG 47LW5600 (3D) (main room) | Energy take classic 5.0 |SVS PB-1000 | Phillips 42" Full 1080p HDTV (bed room) |
Panasonic BDT220 (3D) | Sony BD S350 | Insignia NS BRDVD4 (Region Free) | Denon AVR X2100W | Harmony One
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #349
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.
61
1246
105
426
133
35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jutty View Post
I find that not very many Americans find this funny,,where as back in the UK nearly everyone grew up with python,knows the humour..maybe this is why when my daughters friends watch python,,some of them just have a blank look on their face
I find it hilarious, but no one in my family does.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #350
Batman1980 Batman1980 is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Batman1980's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
District 13
8
174
55
22
45
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980
Default

Always considered this to be one of the best comedies of all-time, definitely picking it up on Wednesday when I run my errands.
RIP Navster, you were someone I considered a friend and BD.com will always remember you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #351
lolwut lolwut is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
lolwut's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Virginia, US
970
179
1
160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsox05 View Post
The review made me laugh, because I must be one of the very few that does NOT find humor in this movie. I detest it with all of my soul.
I think it's a classic, not one of my all-time favorites but still very funny. Life of Brian, however, I couldn't even finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jutty View Post
I find that not very many Americans find this funny,,where as back in the UK nearly everyone grew up with python,knows the humour..maybe this is why when my daughters friends watch python,,some of them just have a blank look on their face
Really? I've never met anyone that didn't find it funny. Most of the people I've known view it as one of the funniest films ever made.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:08 AM   #352
willbfree willbfree is offline
Special Member
 
willbfree's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Default

I find Life of Brian to be much more funny, but Holy Grail is good. Grail is a slower film, lots of traveling. Grail has the same problem as those Lord of the Rings films - the risk of tedium waiting for the next funny part to arrive.

In all the films that have copied the Grail style, there's always a female co-lead to help sustain interest -- Natalie Portman in Your Highness, Michael Cera in Year One... I could go on. Grail doesn't have one and so you need to have a high tolerance for lots of guys.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #353
Sky_Captain Sky_Captain is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Sky_Captain's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
1304
2
Default

Right, my copy arrived today.

I see a film that looks like film, shot fast and cheap in 1975.

Looks great for the most part, Sony have done a great job here.
Still has the same focus, lighting and wavering contrast issues that were always there in certain scenes.

Some will try use this as evidence of DNR.

They're talking nonsense.

Last edited by Sky_Captain; 03-03-2012 at 02:46 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #354
Mark Malmstrøm Mark Malmstrøm is offline
Senior Member
 
Mark Malmstrøm's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
Denmark
246
22
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by En Ex View Post
That particular fix was present in the most recent DVD edition, so I'd say it's safe to say it's on the Blu-ray. It would be great, though, if someone who owns the disc could confirm this.

that was also on the REGION 2 dvd release
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #355
KubrickFan KubrickFan is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
KubrickFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbfree View Post
I find Life of Brian to be much more funny, but Holy Grail is good. Grail is a slower film, lots of traveling. Grail has the same problem as those Lord of the Rings films - the risk of tedium waiting for the next funny part to arrive.

In all the films that have copied the Grail style, there's always a female co-lead to help sustain interest -- Natalie Portman in Your Highness, Michael Cera in Year One... I could go on. Grail doesn't have one and so you need to have a high tolerance for lots of guys.
The risk of tedium? The movie is only 90 minutes long.

And I've heard many things said about Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but never the fact that the main characters are men. Are you serious?
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #356
eastx eastx is offline
Expert Member
 
eastx's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubrickFan View Post
The risk of tedium? The movie is only 90 minutes long.

And I've heard many things said about Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but never the fact that the main characters are men. Are you serious?
I think he was making a strange joke.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #357
hsox05 hsox05 is offline
Expert Member
 
hsox05's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Virginia Beach
823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jutty View Post
I find that not very many Americans find this funny,,where as back in the UK nearly everyone grew up with python,knows the humour..maybe this is why when my daughters friends watch python,,some of them just have a blank look on their face
Well, in all fairness, my first viewing of the film was a pretty tainted one. It was on a cross country school trip, and the bus had a VHS player in it. I must have been the only person on that bus that hadn't seen it up until that point because the whole day leading up to the trip, the people that were going with me were quoting the whole movie to the point that by the time we actually watched the movie, I had heard most of the lines. And they were the type that were yelling the punchlines of the jokes WHILE they were being said once we were actually watching the movie. About 3/4ths of the way through the film I got annoyed with it to the point that i just put my headphones on and listened to music.

I guess about 2 or 3 years ago I decided I should give it a fresh chance without the idiots around me. I made it all the way through the movie, but it just wasn't very funny to me. I had a few smirks, but that's really about it. Maybe my first viewing of it just completely ruined it for me for good, or maybe it's just not my humor, but I just don't like the movie.
Sony XBR65X850B 65" LED 3D 4K TV with 7.1 Surround
Xbox 1S
Sony STR-DH820
Polk Audio 75t (Fronts)
Polk Audio Monitor70 series II (Right and Left surround)
Polk Audio CS20
Sony HZ970W (HTIB) fronts used as rears
Power Sound Audio XV-30
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #358
En Ex En Ex is offline
Member
 
Jul 2010
Default

I think the Pythons knew there would be a group that just wouldn't like the movie; hence, the "Subtitles for People Who Do Not Like the Film (From Henry IV pt. 11)" feature found under Languages.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #359
Yojimbo68 Yojimbo68 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Yojimbo68's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
1066
665
729
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsox05 View Post
Well, in all fairness, my first viewing of the film was a pretty tainted one. It was on a cross country school trip, and the bus had a VHS player in it. I must have been the only person on that bus that hadn't seen it up until that point because the whole day leading up to the trip, the people that were going with me were quoting the whole movie to the point that by the time we actually watched the movie, I had heard most of the lines. And they were the type that were yelling the punchlines of the jokes WHILE they were being said once we were actually watching the movie. About 3/4ths of the way through the film I got annoyed with it to the point that i just put my headphones on and listened to music.

I guess about 2 or 3 years ago I decided I should give it a fresh chance without the idiots around me. I made it all the way through the movie, but it just wasn't very funny to me. I had a few smirks, but that's really about it. Maybe my first viewing of it just completely ruined it for me for good, or maybe it's just not my humor, but I just don't like the movie.
I have played this movie for some who just were not in sync with the humor. So you are not alone. I can't stand The Simpsons but everyone else can't seem to get enough. I mean that show has been on forever. So to each his own I guess.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #360
bigshot bigshot is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
bigshot's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
12
82
3
2
Default

The worst thing about Monty Python is the fans.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:53 AM.