COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$54.96
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Uta no Prince-sama 2000%: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Hawaii Five-0: The Third Season (Blu-ray)
$23.24
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Old 03-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #461
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROclockCK View Post
LEGEND: I highlighted in red the ones that I think have a reel chance -
I see what you did there...
Old 03-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #462
Power Member

Oct 2011
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Interesting. I wasn't aware that Universal had joined the The 'MOD' Squad.

You know Arkadin, whenever I see those MOD offerings, the classic movie fan in me dies just a little bit more. TT's Redman is right - all these $20.00 MOD titles with no restoration or remastering, no extras, and so-so to indifferent artwork, slapped into the cheapest case available without an insert, just seem to get a 'free pass' on price. I mean, these are DVD-Rs fercripessake! And then people have the nerve to criticize TT for its top of the line HD remastered, quality manufactured 50GB Blu-ray editions, which include distinctive artwork plus a lovingly written and presented 8-page production background booklet, priced at $30.00...a mere 10 bucks more!

It's just nuts that the former would be considered 'normal' pricing, and the latter a format-destroying 'insult' to home video consumers everywhere. I should just learn to stay off those MOD pages...they're incredibly depressing.

Last edited by ROclockCK; 03-03-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #463
Power Member

Oct 2011
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanIre View Post
I see what you did there...
Old 03-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #464
Special Member

Feb 2011

What kind of possibility do you all think The Bad & The Beautiful might be? I believe it's an MGM title, but I don't know if it falls under the Warner's or FOX distribution end of that library, currently.

Lana Turner, Kirk Douglas, classic noir...the kind of titles I love to see brought to blu-ray.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #465
Special Member

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemach View Post
What kind of possibility do you all think The Bad & The Beautiful might be? I believe it's an MGM title, but I don't know if it falls under the Warner's or FOX distribution end of that library, currently.

Lana Turner, Kirk Douglas, classic noir...the kind of titles I love to see brought to blu-ray.
That would be Warner (all MGM films prior to 198?), so no Twilight Time release, but a reasonable chance that Warner will release it.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #466
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:

I agree--great movie! But it's MGM/WB. So, no chance for TT. You'll have to lobby WB--and good luck with that. They're working on Casablanca yet again...

There are lists of Columbia and Fox movies on wikipedia. Let's stick with them.

Chronological list of 20th Century Fox films:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tury_Fox_films

Chronological list of Columbia films:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Pictures_films
Old 03-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #467
Special Member

Feb 2011

Thanks on the replies...I know FOX distributes some MGM titles (West Side Story, The Misfits, The Apartment) so I was hoping just maybe The Bad and The Beautiful would be one of them.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #468
Special Member

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Thanks on the replies...I know FOX distributes some MGM titles (West Side Story, The Misfits, The Apartment) so I was hoping just maybe The Bad and The Beautiful would be one of them.
As I remember it (I think), Turner bought Warner & MGM bought UA, then Turner bought MGM as well, so they had all three studios, but they'd borrowed too much to do it, so they had to sell some off. They sold the UA library & the MGM name, so....Warner releases are the Warner & MGM film libraries & MGM is the UA library (plus a few other libraries they've bought). West Side Story, The Misfits & The Apartment were all originally UA films.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #469

May 2011
Canberra, Australia

From the Fox and Columbia lists Benbess posted, I've found a few more I think be great releases for TT. Of course I have no idea how viable these are, and whether they're "too big" for TT or are already being planned for release by the studios, but anyway here goes my wishlist:

Niagara (1953) - A serious Marilyn Monroe movie also starring Joseph Cotten.
Invaders from Mars (1953) - One of the aforementioned "space invasion" classics (print may be too low quality).
Garden of Evil (1954) - A solid Gary Cooper western.
The Man from Laramie (1955) - A decent James Stewart western.
The Tall Men (1955) - Not a bad little Clark Gable/Jane Russell western.
The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit (1956) - Superb Gregory Peck movie, probably up for BD release by studio anyway.
The Bravados (1958) - An underappreciated Gregory Peck western.
The Fly (1958) - Original classic, strange not to see it released on BD yet.
They Came to Cordura (1959) - A Cary Cooper western with some good moments.

There are also several movies which I definitely think would be too big for TT, like Marilyn Monroe's How to Marry a Millionaire and The Seven Year Itch, but at the same time I wonder why it's taking so long for Fox to release the Monroe collection on BD and if they ever will be released given the DVDs might be seen as "adequate". In other words, I'd love TT to release any and every Marilyn Monroe film they can get their hands on!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:40 AM   #470
Power Member

Oct 2011
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaScope View Post
As I remember it (I think), Turner bought Warner & MGM bought UA, then Turner bought MGM as well, so they had all three studios, but they'd borrowed too much to do it, so they had to sell some off. They sold the UA library & the MGM name, so....Warner releases are the Warner & MGM film libraries & MGM is the UA library (plus a few other libraries they've bought). West Side Story, The Misfits & The Apartment were all originally UA films.
Sounds about right CinemaScope.

The only thing I'd add is that Fox really only seemed to get into bed with MGM when the latter was going into/already in bankruptcy and looking for a bailout partner/buyer. Around that time I noticed Fox beginning to handle MGM's home video releases. I don't know much about the specifics of that deal, just that suddenly every MGM DVD and Blu-ray also started carrying a Fox logo on the back cover. I think it must be a one-way thing too - I've seen many MGM and UA titles carry the Fox logo, but never the other way around.

Last edited by ROclockCK; 03-04-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:32 AM   #471
Expert Member

Apr 2008
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbess View Post

There are lists of Columbia and Fox movies on wikipedia. Let's stick with them.

Chronological list of 20th Century Fox films:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tury_Fox_films

Chronological list of Columbia films:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Pictures_films
Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Pictures_films.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #472
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persianimmortal View Post
From the Fox and Columbia lists Benbess posted, I've found a few more I think be great releases for TT. Of course I have no idea how viable these are, and whether they're "too big" for TT or are already being planned for release by the studios, but anyway here goes my wishlist:

Niagara (1953) - A serious Marilyn Monroe movie also starring Joseph Cotten.
Invaders from Mars (1953) - One of the aforementioned "space invasion" classics (print may be too low quality).
Garden of Evil (1954) - A solid Gary Cooper western.
The Man from Laramie (1955) - A decent James Stewart western.
The Tall Men (1955) - Not a bad little Clark Gable/Jane Russell western.
The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit (1956) - Superb Gregory Peck movie, probably up for BD release by studio anyway.
The Bravados (1958) - An underappreciated Gregory Peck western.
The Fly (1958) - Original classic, strange not to see it released on BD yet.
They Came to Cordura (1959) - A Cary Cooper western with some good moments.

There are also several movies which I definitely think would be too big for TT, like Marilyn Monroe's How to Marry a Millionaire and The Seven Year Itch, but at the same time I wonder why it's taking so long for Fox to release the Monroe collection on BD and if they ever will be released given the DVDs might be seen as "adequate". In other words, I'd love TT to release any and every Marilyn Monroe film they can get their hands on!
+1 Nice list!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #473
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

Man From Laramie is supposed to be coming as a studio release--at least it was mentioned specifically sometime back by Sony.
don't know if it will happen considering how things are going with Sony.
(personally I don't care one way or the other because when I watched it for the first time a few months back I was really disappointed. I love Stewart, but this film just didn't do much of anything for me. I was really surprised I didn't like it more considering its classic western status. can't like 'em all I guess)
The Bravados--which I watched recently--is much better imo)
imo it's shocking Fox hasn't released more Marilyn Monroe films. They missed a great opportunity with all the buzz about My Week With Marilyn. I mean how long ago was The Seven Year Itch rumored to be coming out? just ridiculous that film hasn't come out yet.

Last edited by Arkadin; 03-04-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #474
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

Am I the only person that thinks, despite her iconic status, Monroe was a pretty dreadful actress?
Old 03-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #475
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
Am I the only person that thinks, despite her iconic status, Monroe was a pretty dreadful actress?
Imho she was ok, but that's about it....I think Andy Warhol portrayed the tragedy of her existence through art fairly accurately. She and Hollywood created a facade of sex-appeal and glamour with little relation to the real person--the shy brunette named Norma Jean. In that sense it was an impressive performance.

Alfred Hitchcock, thinking of MM, said that her kind of "on the surface" sexuality was ultimately less attractive than the more mysterious kind that he tried to create with talented actresses, costume design, make-up, plot, etc. in his films. Many of Hitchcock's films feature brainy heroines who help solve the crime and save the day--such as in Shadow of a Doubt, Lifeboat, Spellbound, Notorious, Stage Fright, Rear Window, The Man Who Knew Too Much, etc. I don't think MM would have been right in any of those roles....Also, Hitchcock prized professionalism. People needed to know their lines, show up on time, and do the work. That was not what MM was known for at all.

Last edited by benbess; 03-04-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #476
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I mean how long ago was The Seven Year Itch rumored to be coming out?
According to a 10/28/08 Digital Bits entry, 4/14/09. I vaguely recall discussion of How to Marry a Millionaire at some point as well.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #477
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
Well, any popular actor who dies in the prime of their career is going to have an iconic status that over blows their career. How well would James Dean's career be thought of had he lived into his 70s? And look at how fondly Heath Ledger is remembered, yet most of his roles were pretty mediocre, with the notable exceptions of Brokeback Mountain and The Dark Knight.

Marilyn Monroe made up for her shortcomings as actress with her comedic timing and sense of humor - she was a great comedienne. Her rendition of "A kiss on the hand may be quite continental, but diamonds are a girl's best friend" from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is timeless, and she played it perfectly against the far more talented Jane Russell.

Last edited by The Duke; 03-04-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #478
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

from wikipedia:

Legacy

In the weeks after Monroe's death in August 1962, Andy Warhol used a publicity photo from Niagara as the basis for his silkscreen painting Marilyn Diptych, showing multiple images of Monroe's face.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #479
Power Member

Oct 2009

Marilyn has always been greatly underestimated as an actress, imho. It really wasn't until I watched "Don't Bother to Knock" that I realized what an incredible actress she really was. Of course, one can also come away after watching her "sexy blonde" comedies with the impression she was a one-trick pony. But that would be greatly underestimating her.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #480
Power Member

Oct 2011
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Well, any popular actor who dies in the prime of their career is going to have an iconic status that over blows their career. How well would James Dean's career be thought of had he lived into his 70s? And look at how fondly Heath Ledger is remembered, yet most of his roles were pretty mediocre, with the notable exceptions of Brokeback Mountain and The Dark Knight.

Marilyn Monroe made up for her shortcomings as actress with her comedic timing and sense of humor - she was a great comedienne. Her rendition of "A kiss on the hand may be quite continental, but diamonds are a girl's best friend" from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is timeless, and she played it perfectly against the far more talented Jane Russell.
Jane Russell's autobiography "My Path and My Detours", had some very candid and insightful, yet ultimately kind words about Monroe. Like just about all of the above-the-line creative talents who worked closely with Monroe (including Olivier, very well portrayed in My Week With Marilyn), Russell freely admitted that Monroe could be exasperating on the set, but understood the mass of insecurities driving her behaviour, especially over her acting abilities. So like most of her other creative cohorts, Russell tried to remain patient, because when Monroe was on, she was "ON"...the screen jumped to life.

The closest Marilyn Monroe ever got to serious roles were the aforementioned Niagara, John Huston's The Misfits, and Joshua Logan's Bus Stop. All are fine examples of the other side of her talent (especially Bus Stop), although as you say, she shone in the lighter stuff.

And she could sing too! Not opera, but pitch-perfect for those roles.

Last edited by ROclockCK; 03-04-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors