Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Here Comes the Devil (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Bullet to the Head (Blu-ray)
$8.85

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 03-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #101

Jul 2010

Hey so obviously those of you that tried this are very disappointed, but what would you say for a total newb? My dad just got his first 1080p tv and I couldn't pass this up for him so I ordered it yesterday.... He wants/needs NO bells and whistles... So will it simply play a BD without issue? That's all he needs... Feedback is, as always, much appreciated!
Optoma HD20 130" /
LG 47lh55 / PS3 160G (Slim) / Yamaha RX-V667 / Belkin PF30 / Klipsch VF-35 (Fronts) / Klipsch VC-25 (Center) / Klipsch VB-15 (Rears) / Klipsch SW 450 (Sub)
Old 03-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #102
Special Member

Nov 2009
Washington State

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoUrden View Post
Hey so obviously those of you that tried this are very disappointed, but what would you say for a total newb? My dad just got his first 1080p tv and I couldn't pass this up for him so I ordered it yesterday.... He wants/needs NO bells and whistles... So will it simply play a BD without issue? That's all he needs... Feedback is, as always, much appreciated!
I think he'd be better served with an entry-level model from Sony, Panasonic, or LG. The Sony BDP-S480 is on sale for $99.99 @ Best Buy currently, and that would work pretty well for him. Or you could get the BDP-S185 for $79.99 there if you want to save a bit more money...
Forget The Evil Dead; what George Lucas has done to Star Wars since 1997 is truly "The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror".

Svenge's Neon Genesis Evangelion Home Video Compendium
My Blu-ray Collection | My Anime DVD Collection | My Laserdisc Collection
My gear: LG 32LN5300 (LED TV) | Sony BDP-S360 (BD/DVD) | Pioneer CLD-D606 (LD)

Last edited by svenge; 03-16-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #103
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Detroit, MI ~ USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post
I think he'd be better served with an entry-level model from Sony, Panasonic, or LG. The Sony BDP-S480 is on sale for $99.99 @ Best Buy currently, and that would work pretty well for him. Or you could get the BDP-S185 for $79.99 there if you want to save a bit more money...
I agree, go with a Panasonic or other name brand & stay away from this Monoprice unit!!!!!!!!!
BD PLAYER (REGION A) : Panasonic DMP-BD85K
BD PLAYER (REGION FREE) : Insignia NS-BRDVD4
HDTV : Panasonic Viera 50" Plasma TC-P50S2

MY 'SALE THREAD'
** thread updated 25-MAR-2014 **
Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #104

Sep 2011
California, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSquirreL View Post
why would one go through all the problems to mod the firmware for a $77 USD player that is slow loading and has other faults when there are many less expensive options that are available and have been proven to work as region free DVD/BD and covert NTSC/PAL???
Probably because Monoprice is selling it as an open source/modifiable firmware unit? The idea of being able to tweak something like that that a firmware update might otherwise take away does have an appeal.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #105
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

What a bummer, think I'll go with the Sony BDP-S480, and when my Pioneer dies step up to the Oppo with a region free mod kit.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector + 100" 1.1 gain screen || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)

http://letterboxd.com/flatnate/
Old 03-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #106
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Boston suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRealist View Post
I was going to stick it in a closet in hopes that someone makes a hacked firmware. Nope I'm returning it. It is sooo slow and you have to point the remote directly at it. Total POS. Even if it was region free the Insignia is way faster and better. Ya I'm not trying to put firmware for a non 3D player on this.
Well, thanks for the heads-up and for volunteering to do this. Guess I'll hold onto my SEIKI player: at least I know that works.
PSN/Battlelog/Xbox Live: ▌۩▐ PrivatePixel
Pioneer Elite || Definitive Technology

"Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones." - Bertrand Russell
Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #107

Sep 2011
California, USA

Alright, I'm in. I have a little work area with a 19-in 720p Toshiba panel and a 2nd gen AppleTV but no player, so, now I do.

Picture & Audio: Hookup is over HDMI. Picture & audio are what you get on a 19-in 720p display. No complaints though, it looks good.

Remote: Actually a touch larger than the TV remote. Small but ok to use. Did NOT use the "super heavy duty" batteries that came in the box but opted for my own alkalines. No problems with range, responsiveness, angles, nothing.

Menus: Simple and straightforward. May be a clone of another brand - not sure.

Speed/Responsiveness: I have an OPPO and a Samsung and do not find blu-ray to be especially responsive; this unit might be a touch slower but I haven't timed it or anything. Certainly not a speed demon. No one in the house has complained yet.

3D: Can't test; see nothing to note its presence though. See notes below.

Region/Format: I have a region 0 DVD in PAL that plays fine. For BD only plays region A.

Apps: None.

Network: Built-in wireless works; apparently is only for BDLive.

Items of interest:

-Unit reports the hardware is a Broadcom BCM7630 chip, which I believe is used in similar BDP units. Note that this chip is not listed as 3D capable by Broadcom.

-No physical buttons on the unit - they're behind a touch sensitive, illuminated panel.

-Firmware date shows May 5 2011. Monoprice confirms they are not going to provide future updates and that they will not distribute the existing firmware.

-Unit has been added to the database of at least one hack site - awaiting submissions.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #108
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Boston suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootowls View Post
-Firmware date shows May 5 2011. Monoprice confirms they are not going to provide future updates and that they will not distribute the existing firmware.
If they're not, then who will? Tech/programming saavy users who are proficient in Java?
PSN/Battlelog/Xbox Live: ▌۩▐ PrivatePixel
Pioneer Elite || Definitive Technology

"Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones." - Bertrand Russell
Old 03-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #109
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Detroit, MI ~ USA

personally, I don't see all the interest /fuss about this player. I say move on and we'll find another
BD PLAYER (REGION A) : Panasonic DMP-BD85K
BD PLAYER (REGION FREE) : Insignia NS-BRDVD4
HDTV : Panasonic Viera 50" Plasma TC-P50S2

MY 'SALE THREAD'
** thread updated 25-MAR-2014 **
Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #110

Sep 2011
California, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePixel View Post
If they're not, then who will? Tech/programming saavy users who are proficient in Java?
The inference I took from the conversation is that, once the unit is hacked, it won't matter that there aren't future updates as you'll either: 1) be in the same boat as people who retain an old firmware in another player rather than update and lose the capability or, 2) have the hacker types around to deal with issues. I'd agree that #2 is unrealistic for their customer base so #1 is the likely outcome.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #111
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
PA

Monoprice must have realized they were selling a pos because they removed it from their website.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders