COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.79
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Triple Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Lake Placid (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Ken Burns: The Roosevelts (Blu-ray)
$76.89
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Breakheart Pass (Blu-ray)
$17.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
Special Member

Dec 2011
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
United Kingdom Recommendations for a Region B & A (or Region Free) Blu-ray player (UK)

I currently have a 320GB PS3 Slim but I'd like to be able to play Region A Blu-rays. So I'm looking for a player that can play Region B as well as A, or a Region Free player. It needs to be cheap (as cheap as possible but deliver the same or better video quality as the PS3) and be available in the UK. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

My Wanted/For Sale/Trade list
UPDATED: 29/03/14
Old 03-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Special Member

Oct 2011
UK

How about the Toshiba BDX1200? 50 at Richer Sounds and can be made multi-region for blu-rays by flashing the Australian firmware.

Just Google "Toshiba BDX1200 multiregion" and hit up the AVForums thread for all the instructions / details.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aequalszero View Post
How about the Toshiba BDX1200? 50 at Richer Sounds and can be made multi-region for blu-rays by flashing the Australian firmware.

Just Google "Toshiba BDX1200 multiregion" and hit up the AVForums thread for all the instructions / details.
Be careful with that player. It's a great price for a multiregion player but a lot of people have reported skipping/stuttering issues with quite a few discs.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:55 AM   #4
Special Member

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by aequalszero View Post

Thanks, that would be ideal. However I don't want to pay for something if the discs skip. Any other suggestions anyone?

Old 03-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Special Member

Dec 2011

Bump

Old 03-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #6

Aug 2009
Default Recommendations for a Region B & A (or Region Free) Blu-ray player (UK)

in the belief that you want some thing fit for purpose, and not a supermarket bargain, try multiregion magic or bluraymods
They use proper hardware solutions
If you want to wind up the wick, try oppo players, their mod kits are easy to install by the user with no soldering required.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Special Member

Dec 2011

Thanks, I had a look at those and they're too expensive. If I bought a cheap one, like the Toshiba BDX1200 which was suggested I could keep my PS3.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #8

Aug 2009

By all means your money, The Toshiba in the experience of others here has picture playback problems. The Panasonic 75 is modestly priced and at least reliable and fit for purpose. In part you have to pay the person doing the mod to take over the warranty on the whole player.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Expert Member

Apr 2010
Norway

I just ordered the Toshiba BDX3100KE (was planning on the BDX1200, but heard about jerky playback, so I'm taking a chance on the BDX3100 instead). If you want, I can report back here when I have tested it. It's a cheap player that can be made region free just like the 1200.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:11 PM   #10

Aug 2009

I'd give it a read certainly. Could be worth posting in a relevant review section after all the firmware updates are installed.
How is the blu-ray region mod achieved?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
Expert Member

Apr 2010
Norway

By installing the Australian firmware on the player. You can set the DVD region to 0 for automatic (or set it to any specific region), and change the BD region to A, B, or C. The BD region has to set manually in the settings menu of the player each time you want to watch a locked disc.
Haven't recieved the player yet, so I am not 100% on anything, but this is what I've read.

Last edited by Prim; 03-31-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
Special Member

Dec 2011

Yeah I'd like to read about the player. One thing I don't get is, why would anyone manually select the DVD region if you could have it set to 0 all the time?

Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #13

Aug 2009
Default .

Why couldn't Toshiba kill it off with a firmware update
Old 03-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
Expert Member

Apr 2010
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyle View Post
Yeah I'd like to read about the player. One thing I don't get is, why would anyone manually select the DVD region if you could have it set to 0 all the time?
Have no idea. I'll be setting mine to 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratford View Post
Why couldn't Toshiba kill it off with a firmware update
I believe there are some rules in place for the Australian market regarding this. I'm not sure about the details, but supposedly, the only region free FW
is the Aussie one. I am going to upgrade mine with this FW, and never connect it to the internet.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2008
Wales

Pretty sure region locking goes against Australias Fair Trade Law, so CFW is included on discs to ensure it can be region free since BD players aren't usually aloud to be sold Region Free out of the box.

From what I've been able to find out most players need a hardware mod. Some actually shipped Region Free and you could unlock it by using a code on the remote to open up the service menu (The Technika I have does this. But it was quickly removed from sale from what I remember) Then you have ones where you can flash with CFW like these Toshibas.

The only trouble I've had with my Technika is that it wont play certain discs. So far it wont play T2 Skynet Edition (UK Steelbook from Optimum) or Lionsgate/Miramax titles. The UK Pulp Fiction won't load or the US release of The Crow.

My latest purchase Anchor Bays Battle Royale Complete Collection works flawlesly.

But I am intrested in getting the Toshiba to see if it will play the Lionsgate/Miramax BDs I have. It's a bit frustrating having The Crow sat here for months and not being able to watch it.
My PSN Trophy Card | PS4 Tips, Tricks & Fixes
List of BD Movies That Have PS3 Themes
Pre-orders:Evangelion 3.33|Gurren Lagann: Ultimate Edition|Mai Mai Miracle|The Place Promised in Our Early Days|009 RE:CYBORG 3D CE|
PS4|PS3 12gb Slim(1TB SATA HDD)|LG 42LW650T 3D LED|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Bush BFSAT01HD Freesat HD Box.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #16
Expert Member

Apr 2010
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post

But I am intrested in getting the Toshiba to see if it will play the Lionsgate/Miramax BDs I have. It's a bit frustrating having The Crow sat here for months and not being able to watch it.
If you want, I can try Evil Dead II and Rambo (2008) when I get the player. Those are both Lionsgate titles, right? Have a look in my collection to see if I have some of the discs you are having problems with, and I can try those as well.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #17
Special Member

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Pretty sure region locking goes against Australias Fair Trade Law, so CFW is included on discs to ensure it can be region free since BD players aren't usually aloud to be sold Region Free out of the box.

From what I've been able to find out most players need a hardware mod. Some actually shipped Region Free and you could unlock it by using a code on the remote to open up the service menu (The Technika I have does this. But it was quickly removed from sale from what I remember) Then you have ones where you can flash with CFW like these Toshibas.

The only trouble I've had with my Technika is that it wont play certain discs. So far it wont play T2 Skynet Edition (UK Steelbook from Optimum) or Lionsgate/Miramax titles. The UK Pulp Fiction won't load or the US release of The Crow.

My latest purchase Anchor Bays Battle Royale Complete Collection works flawlesly.

There's a refurbished player, the same model as yours on eBay at the moment for 39.99. Again, that would be ideal as it's very cheap but you have a lot of issues with yours not playing discs.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #18
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prim View Post
If you want, I can try Evil Dead II and Rambo (2008) when I get the player. Those are both Lionsgate titles, right? Have a look in my collection to see if I have some of the discs you are having problems with, and I can try those as well.
Yeah that would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyle View Post
There's a refurbished player, the same model as yours on eBay at the moment for 39.99. Again, that would be ideal as it's very cheap but you have a lot of issues with yours not playing discs.
To be fair, out of the almost 200 BDs I own those couple that don't play. T2 is a pain to load on my PS3 too for some reasson.

I just don't quite understand why it won't play Pulp Fiction or The Crow(US) and it just so happens they are both from Lionsgate/Miramax. Must be the way they author the discs.

Trouble is with any player if it runs into an issue with a disc there will sometimes be a firmware update, but being Region Free you risk losing it by upgrading the firmware. So it can be a bit tricky trying to get a player to read 100% of the new discs that come out. But it usualy is only a small percentage.
Pre-orders:Evangelion 3.33|Gurren Lagann: Ultimate Edition|Mai Mai Miracle|The Place Promised in Our Early Days|009 RE:CYBORG 3D CE|
PS4|PS3 12gb Slim(1TB SATA HDD)|LG 42LW650T 3D LED|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Bush BFSAT01HD Freesat HD Box.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #19

Aug 2011
Cardiff, Wales

Desperate to get a region free player myself but I just don't know what to trust.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #20
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2008
Wales

If I had the budget then I'd just go with a big name like Oppo or just get a hardware mod on some other deccent player. Seems to be the easiest way to make sure you won't have any playback issues.

The cheaper brands like my player work fine on everything I own other than the few I mentioned. But there will never be a firmware update to adress the issue. Where as say if you had a Sony player the you know updates would keep coming.

I have read about the issue with the Toshiba, and it seems to be certain discs. So may not affect everyone. But I wouldn't want to upgrade the firmware and risk losing the Region Free playback.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders