Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Red Cliff Part I & II (Blu-ray)
$13.39
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.91
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
McLintock! (Blu-ray)
$10.20
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 04-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #41
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011
Norn Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas R View Post
Shipping from America via another European country does not avoid customs charges. They probably do this to economise on their shipping costs, although in the case of Axel they charge VAT in advance.
Planetaxel ship from their warehouse in the States or Canada to their warehouse in the E.U. and then forward it to the buyer thus avoiding custom charges.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #42

Sep 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarty View Post
Planetaxel ship from their warehouse in the States or Canada to their warehouse in the E.U. and then forward it to the buyer thus avoiding custom charges.
They don't avoid customs charges - no supplier can legally do that. The charges are worked into the total cost of the item.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #43
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotoroDragon View Post
well not to argue with you,but i have been told before on many a website that royal mail ect do not take into account the cost of postage,but they do with me.
Postage & Packaging should only been taken into account when you go over the limit. It must be extremely frustrating when they lump P & P into it when the item is under £15. I can't remember anyone who has had their money refunded after they've been charged incorrectly!

Quote:
1.What does HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) mean when they refer to the import of low value goods?

Imports of low value goods are any consignments, made up of goods of a negligible value, that are dispatched direct from a third country (non-EU) country to a consignee in the EU which may be admitted free of customs import duty and/or import VAT.

Currently this means that:
  • consignments with an intrinsic value of £15 or less are free from both customs duty and import VAT.
  • import VAT is payable when the intrinsic value of the goods is over £15.
  • customs duty (and import VAT) is payable when the intrinsic value of the imported goods is over £135.
2.What is the intrinsic value?

The intrinsic value is the price paid or payable for the goods excluding postage and packing and insurance costs.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Old 04-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #44

Dec 2009
The Hague (Den Haag), The Netherlands
Holland Thanks for the tip !

Hi ,

Thanks very much for the tip about planetaxel.com !
I just ordered there 11 BD's ...
Two items are on "0-3 additional days" delivery, the others were marked "in stock".

Since i had to pay extra at the postman, when he delivered the "Wanted" box I ordered from Amazon.com, I only ordered a few times a single disc to avoid extra payment.
So this is my 1st major order since from oversea (~135 euro)...

I will keep you updated on how delivery goes !

Current state:
Sunday Apr 1 @ 20:28 GMT Order registered
Sunday Apr 1 @ 20:28 GMT Pending
Monday Apr 2 - 1 e-mail , 1 item dispatched
Tuesday Apr 3 - 10 e-mails. 10 items dispatched seperately

Received:
Apr 11 : 1 from the 10 (from the UK)
Apr 12 : 8 from the 10 (from NL)
Apr 13 : 1 from the 1st, Apr.2 (from GER)

Apr 13: Still waiting for 1 title, 1 from the 10.

From one received title the box is damaged.

With kind regards,

Arno
- - - > > > > > > READ & RATE: MY REVIEWS !!! < < < < < < - - -

Blu-ray.com Groups: Jodie Foster, Keira Knightley, AFTER the END Titles

My All Time Favorite Movies: * The Lover * Atonement * Keetje Tippel * A Very Long Engagement * Never Let Me Go * Tipping the Velvet * Carny * Contact * Triangle * Stealing Home * Night Train to Kathmandu * Noce Blanche *

Last edited by ArnoBD; 04-13-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: update current state
Old 04-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
United Kingdom

The 0-3 additional days discs shouldn't take long at all. I had a few that said 0-3 days and were sourced within hours so there shouldn't be a wait and you shouldn't have to pay anything extra as everything in your order gets shipped separately anyway.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #46
Special Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

Quote:
Shipping from America via another European country does not avoid customs charges. They probably do this to economise on their shipping costs, although in the case of Axel they charge VAT in advance.
In my case, yes it does. Anything imported from another EU country is not liable to custom charges. That's a fundamental part of the EU treaty.

All other EU countries have a higher limit than the Danish. Therefore, if an order from the US has entered an EU country legally because of said country's higher import limit, the Danish customs are not allowed to charge you for the goods. They may only charge for goods that have come directly to Denmark from outside the EU.
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Nosferatu (1979), Blood and Black Lace, Dracula (1979), L'avventura, The Vanishing (1988), Eyes Without a Face, The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Without Warning, Don't Look Now (remaster), Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979)
Old 04-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #47
Special Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

Quote:
They don't avoid customs charges - no supplier can legally do that. The charges are worked into the total cost of the item.
No, but they play the system. They basically exploit the fact that all countries in the EU have different import limits. They import the discs to a country with a high import limit, then repack them and ship them to their destination.

As the discs have been imported legally to EU and were below the importing country's import limit, the destination country is not allowed to charge customs. As I wrote above, it is a fundamental principle in the EU that goods can travel freely between the member countries without being subjected to customs inspection.
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Nosferatu (1979), Blood and Black Lace, Dracula (1979), L'avventura, The Vanishing (1988), Eyes Without a Face, The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Without Warning, Don't Look Now (remaster), Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979)
Old 10-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #48

Oct 2010

It is now 2014.

Which companies are still customs friendly ?
Old 10-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothic_hobbit View Post
It is now 2014.

Which companies are still customs friendly ?
The only two I know of that will guarantee no charges are Movietyme and DVDWorldUSA as they re-ship from inside the UK.

There are other companies out there that I have ordered from that arrived without charges (ImportCDs/Barnes&Noble) but that might have just been luck.

If you order from Amazon.com and choose Expedited Shipping you can pre-pay Import Fee's so no nasty surprise.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #50

Jul 2009

Ah, PlanetAxel, those were the days.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #51
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
UK

I buy from DeepDiscount and Bluraysforeveryone for my US stuff. DDDHouse, YesAsia, KimchiDVD and Amazon Japan for my Asian stuff.

Never had customs charges.
http://samsinthetic.imgur.com - The Finest Anime Collection

Studio Ghibli Collection (COMPLETE Gallery JULY 2014)

Panasonic 50" ST60 3D Plasma TV
Nikon D3200 DSLR
White Playstation 3 Super Slim Japan
LG 3D 325 Player
Old 10-24-2014, 06:05 AM   #52

Sep 2008

how reliable are bluraysforeveryone?
Old 10-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #53
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeviljimmy View Post
Apart from the dire website, I have no quibbles.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #54
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Its a one man operation so can take some time to get titles but when they are sent I have found they normally arrive in about a week and never had any issues in all the years I have used the site.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #55
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Cornwall

Quote:
I've used him a few times. Sometimes a bit slow to dispatch, but never any problems beyond that, and always good communication.
Setup: Panasonic TX-P50VT30 & SA-BTT350 Region B, Pioneer BDR-207DBK Region ABC, Xbox360, Xbox One, Wii U
Pre-orders: Animal Farm, TNG S7, The Thief of Baghdad
Old 10-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #56
Expert Member

Oct 2012

Blurays for everyone, very reliable. He once went out of his way to find me an OOP tin of the Vengence trilogy and sold it to me at retail when he could have marked it up. Not a bad word to say.

Someone mentioned Barnes and Noble - they used to be reliable in the days when they marked everything up as 'books' but that changed about two years ago and now they're extremely unreliable - more so than most suppliers as they dispatch things separately even if you order everything at once, so if you order three discs, you might well end up with three charges if they all get stopped.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #57
Power Member

Jan 2011
West Sussex, UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW1 View Post
Blurays for everyone, very reliable. He once went out of his way to find me an OOP tin of the Vengence trilogy and sold it to me at retail when he could have marked it up. Not a bad word to say.

Someone mentioned Barnes and Noble - they used to be reliable in the days when they marked everything up as 'books' but that changed about two years ago and now they're extremely unreliable - more so than most suppliers as they dispatch things separately even if you order everything at once, so if you order three discs, you might well end up with three charges if they all get stopped.
B&N are a nightmare now in the last Criterion half price sale as well as marking as DVD so attracting a charge they declared the full price not what you paid, so had to go through the hassle of getting a refund from Revenue & Customs as you have to pay Royal Mail then argue about a partial refund.

Agree I would still probably stick with them if they did do as you request of a single shipment so only one RM customs handling fee, but they randomly break up multi item orders into varied separate packages so can get multiple charges.
Old Yesterday, 01:28 AM   #58

Sep 2008

Thanks for the replies, what shipping methods do you use the 8 blus posted for $28 looks good
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland