Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Here Comes the Devil (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$98.54

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you still watch laserdiscs?
Yes, I still watch my laserdiscs. 276 57.14%
No, I was an LD user, but I no longer watch laserdiscs. 207 42.86%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #2501
Special Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedvdcollector View Post
Thanks svenge and DGTWoodward for your replies to my posting.

I am leaning towards the CLD-99. I have only 1 PAL laserdisc, all the rest are NTSC. So PAL playback is not really required.

With regard to cost, although I am quite up to speed with DVD and Bluray players, not really sure about old laserdisc players. Is 400 over the top for a CLD-99?

BTW I have done a little research, and apparently the CLD-99 has a slower change for turning discs, than some other players including the CLD-97? Do you know if this is indeed correct, and if so is it really slow? or nothing to be bothered about.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.
400 equals $635 U.S. dollars. I've seen the Elite CLD-99 go for that much on ebay, so that price is probably right. I got my 99 for $400 from Craigslist, so maybe you could get yours cheaper too.

The CLD-97 has a slower side change than the CLD-99. (I have both.) The 99 is pretty quick.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #2502

Apr 2012
UK
United Kingdom

Thanks JJ for that info.

That is good to hear about the side change with the 99 as that is not what I understood, so cool.

I have pretty much made up my mind to go for the 99, also the 925 is not in the condition I was told...
Old 04-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #2503
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010

Quote:
Thanks JJ for that info.

That is good to hear about the side change with the 99 as that is not what I understood, so cool.

I have pretty much made up my mind to go for the 99, also the 925 is not in the condition I was told...
You're much better off getting a CLD-D704, which has the same electronics as the Elite CLD-99 minus the 1st generation, outdated comb filter. If you need a good comb filter, then connect it to a DVD/VCR recording deck via composite before outputting it into your display via s-video.

I have a MIB Elite CLD-79, which is the middle player of the D704/79/99 series, but you're too far away to make shipping it to you worth the cost.

TLK
My Home Theaters
SONY KD-36XS955 36" CRT HDTV & Samsung TX-T3092WH 30" WS CRT HDTV; Oppo BDP-103 & Momitsu BDP-799 (both region-free) Blu-ray Disc players; VIP 3D-Theatre 3D converter box; Pioneer LD-S2 (with AC-3 mod) & Pioneer CLD-1010 LaserDisc players; Pioneer RFD-1 RF demodulator; Panasonic DMR-EZ48V VHS/DVD player/recorder; Audio Technica AT-PL50 turntable; Onkyo TX-NR818 audio/video receiver (7.2 speakers); Dish Network VIP722 & VIP612 HD DVR receivers
Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #2504

Apr 2012
UK
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
You're much better off getting a CLD-D704, which has the same electronics as the Elite CLD-99 minus the 1st generation, outdated comb filter. If you need a good comb filter, then connect it to a DVD/VCR recording deck via composite before outputting it into your display via s-video.

I have a MIB Elite CLD-79, which is the middle player of the D704/79/99 series, but you're too far away to make shipping it to you worth the cost.

TLK
Well I was considering running the laser disc with composite out to the new Yamaha Aventage that I recently got, which has the HQV scaler... I assume that would help, but I have not tried it yet.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #2505
Special Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post

TLK
I have a CLD-D704, too (I plan on selling it). I've noticed a slight difference in video image quality between it and the Elite CLD-99. The 704 has 51db video signal-to-noise ratio while the 99 had 52db, which means the picture is a little less noisy for the latter. The CLV smear on a 704 looks worse to me than it does on the 99 (and I don't notice it at all on the 97). I have the LaserDisc players hooked up directly to a Denon A/V receiver through composite cables, then out to a CRT HDTV via HDMI cable.

I give an edge to the 99 over the 704. The 704 is lighter, so it would save one on shipping costs. The 99 might not be worth the cost to some for the slightly better picture.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #2506

Apr 2012
UK
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. J. Hunsecker View Post
I have a CLD-D704, too (I plan on selling it). I've noticed a slight difference in video image quality between it and the Elite CLD-99. The 704 has 51db video signal-to-noise ratio while the 99 had 52db, which means the picture is a little less noisy for the latter. The CLV smear on a 704 looks worse to me than it does on the 99 (and I don't notice it at all on the 97). I have the LaserDisc players hooked up directly to a Denon A/V receiver through composite cables, then out to a CRT HDTV via HDMI cable.

I give an edge to the 99 over the 704. The 704 is lighter, so it would save one on shipping costs. The 99 might not be worth the cost to some for the slightly better picture.
Looks like your setup for the LD will be similar to mine, with regard to how you are routing the cable.

Interesting to read your observations on picture between 704 and 99. I was just reading up a bit about laserdisc smearing, seems quite a few of the pioneer models experienced it.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #2507

Mar 2011
Michigan, USA

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the Laserdisc scene. Last year, I picked up an Elite CLD-92 with some movies off Craigslist. That thing is a tank. I recently picked up a CLD-D504 for $40. It has the AC-3 output on the back. I know the Elites are supposed to be better, but D504 was released 3 years later, and the picture looks pretty good. Any thoughts on the two as to which one should be my main player? Eventually I'd like to pick up a 97 or 99, or the 704.
Home Theater:
Denon AVR-1912; DefTech Mythos 7; Boston A360s; Boston A26s; Polk Audio PSW110
Panasonic TCP65GT30; DMPBDT210; Insignia NS-WBRDVD2; PS3 60 GB; Onkyo DV-HD805; Pioneer CLD-92

Wishlist: Revenge of the Nerds, Cannonball Run II and 1941
Old 04-05-2012, 03:30 AM   #2508
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the Laserdisc scene. Last year, I picked up an Elite CLD-92 with some movies off Craigslist. That thing is a tank. I recently picked up a CLD-D504 for $40. It has the AC-3 output on the back. I know the Elites are supposed to be better, but D504 was released 3 years later, and the picture looks pretty good. Any thoughts on the two as to which one should be my main player? Eventually I'd like to pick up a 97 or 99, or the 704.
The CLD-92 is a CLD-3070 with rosewood side panels. As such, it is a much better player than the CLD-D504 IMO.

If you're looking for a player with the least video noise, I would look for either a CLD-97 or the vaunted LD-S2.

TLK
My Home Theaters
SONY KD-36XS955 36" CRT HDTV & Samsung TX-T3092WH 30" WS CRT HDTV; Oppo BDP-103 & Momitsu BDP-799 (both region-free) Blu-ray Disc players; VIP 3D-Theatre 3D converter box; Pioneer LD-S2 (with AC-3 mod) & Pioneer CLD-1010 LaserDisc players; Pioneer RFD-1 RF demodulator; Panasonic DMR-EZ48V VHS/DVD player/recorder; Audio Technica AT-PL50 turntable; Onkyo TX-NR818 audio/video receiver (7.2 speakers); Dish Network VIP722 & VIP612 HD DVR receivers
Old 04-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #2509
Special Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
Looks like your setup for the LD will be similar to mine, with regard to how you are routing the cable.

Interesting to read your observations on picture between 704 and 99. I was just reading up a bit about laserdisc smearing, seems quite a few of the pioneer models experienced it.
The Panasonic LX-900U, from what I've heard, is also free of the CLV smear problem. (But some state it has more chroma noise.) I hear it's a good player, the only problem is that Panasonic no longer supplies parts for their old LD players like Pioneer still does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Hi all,

Do you need AC-3? If not, you can get the CLD-D703 for less money, and it's the same player as the 704, just minus the AC-3 output. Also, the Elite CLD-95 is similar to the 97, and usually sells for far less on ebay.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #2510

Jun 2010
Nagoya
Default couple of new additions

Picked up these at auction this week:

Evil Dead Special and Halloween are both sealed, but I will probably crack them open to watch the goodies. Got the second Evil Dead cause the same seller had it listed at $4, so might as well i thought.

Also found this lot in a bunch of 20 odd Disney titles at my local junk store:

105yen each. Not bad going. The man said that the Disney LDs had just been put out that day, so a bit of good luck.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #2511
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullruckle View Post
Picked up these at auction this week:
[Show spoiler]

Evil Dead Special and Halloween are both sealed, but I will probably crack them open to watch the goodies. Got the second Evil Dead cause the same seller had it listed at $4, so might as well i thought.

Also found this lot in a bunch of 20 odd Disney titles at my local junk store:
[Show spoiler]

105yen each. Not bad going. The man said that the Disney LDs had just been put out that day, so a bit of good luck.
Bambi! The film that traumatized me as a little kid....
Modern
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD TV
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Sony KD-34XS955 TV
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc Player
Old 04-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #2512

May 2010
Warwick, United Kingdom.
Send a message via MSN to DGTWoodward Send a message via Yahoo to DGTWoodward
United Kingdom Finally getting there...!

So glad to finally be picking these up. I have wanted them for a while, especially after the cluster botch-job that was the DVD release!!

My Almost Complete BABYLON 5 Laserdisc Collection

My seller had collected them, but things got in the way and he ended up storing them for all these years....with only four of them having been opened!!!

As there seems to be no realistic outlook when it comes to a proper remaster even for new DVDs let alone any Blurays (due to Warner being too tight fisted) This still remains, believe it or not, here in an overcast UK in the spring of 2012, THE definitive way to watch B5 at home!
http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (with AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Last edited by DGTWoodward; 04-05-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Could not spell 'opened' after three attempts!!! Ooooh me age!!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #2513

Aug 2009
Toronto
Default Babylon 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTWoodward View Post
So glad to finally be picking these up. I have wanted them for a while, especially after the cluster botch-job that was the DVD release!!

My seller had collected them, but things got in the way and he ended up storing them for all these years....with only four of them having been opened!!!

As there seems to be no realistic outlook when it comes to a proper remaster even for new DVDs let alone any Blurays (due to Warner being too tight fisted) This still remains, believe it or not, here in an overcast UK in the spring of 2012, THE definitive way to watch B5 at home!
Great collection! I'm a big B5 fan, but have only seen the DVD box sets. I'd buy those LDs just for the cover art. I didn't know that there was a picture quality difference between the LD and DVD editions. I agree that we are unlikely to see another remaster of B5 on DVD. It's just not that big a show, and very unlikely to receive the treatment that Star Trek TNG is getting for Blu-ray.
Sharp Aquos LC-60LE920UN LaserDisc Pioneer CLD-D701 HD DVD Samsung BD-UP5000 b) Oppo BDP-93
Old 04-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #2514

May 2010
Warwick, United Kingdom.
United Kingdom Sadly, all true...

Whilst the live-action sections of B5 were shot with a 16:9 ratio in mind from the start, sadly when it came to the CG FX work (specially the composited live-action+CG shots), not quite as many well laid plans were put in place.

It's a real shame, I think that BABYLON 5's innovative visuals, specially the mind-blowing and eye melting seasons three and four, would look just incredible in HD.
47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (with AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa
Old 04-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #2515
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Whilst the live-action sections of B5 were shot with a 16:9 ratio in mind from the start, sadly when it came to the CG FX work (specially the composited live-action+CG shots), not quite as many well laid plans were put in place.

It's a real shame, I think that BABYLON 5's innovative visuals, specially the mind-blowing and eye melting seasons three and four, would look just incredible in HD.
Babylon 5 was rendered on Amiga computers
Modern
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD TV
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Sony KD-34XS955 TV
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc Player
Old 04-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #2516

Apr 2012
UK
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Babylon 5 was rendered on Amiga computers
Yes it was, I remember an article in an Amiga magazine all about this, being done with Amiga computers and I think the Newtek video toaster software / hardware if my recollection is correct.

The CGI was very good in its day, but I suspect it would look awful in high def, unless they re-do some of the cgi again, and they probably wouldnt put the K into it required.

Then again you never know, didnt the other studio paramount re-do some of the effects shots in cgi for the old star trek episodes for DVD?
Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #2517

May 2010
Warwick, United Kingdom.
United Kingdom Unlikely....

Quote:
Then again you never know, didnt the other studio paramount re-do some of the effects shots in cgi for the old star trek episodes for DVD?
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2514

Sadly, nothing is going to change for BABYLON 5, unless Warner Brothers has some sort of epiphany on the road to DOMESTOS (my one religious joke for the Eater weekend!)
Old 04-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #2518

Apr 2012
UK
United Kingdom Hangar 18

I understand that the cult UFO film Hangar 18 was released on laserdisc. I have never ever seen this on LD, I do have it on VHS. It is available on DVD, but poorly mastered.

Anyone seen this on LD? and if so is the quality any good?
Old 04-08-2012, 04:42 AM   #2519

Jun 2007

Quote:

I'm jealous! I find the DVDs to be nearly unwatchable due to the cropping and terrible-quality anamorphic upscaling they did to all the VFX shots (of which there are many). It would have been so much better if WB had just kept the DVDs at 4:3.

I would love to get the LDs, but I'm overwhelmed at the idea of hunting them all down. It's also unfortunate that they never released the entire series on LD, so there will always be certain missing episodes.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #2520
Special Member

May 2010
PA

54 LaserDiscs + Player!
~ Cinema Sickness
My Cinematic Media Collection
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion