COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$17.98
HD Aviation: 100 Years of Flight (Blu-ray)
$12.98
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.78
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$22.98
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 04-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #1101

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkuboy View Post
Personally, I would rather spend $120 more for a new unit. Some of the descriptions they have about the open box stuff is scary and it depends on who did the describing, too. Something like the C2 is a center channel that you would keep for a long time so if you amortize the extra cost of buying it new over the expected time you will have it, the cost per year isn't that much.

Regardless, I hope it turns out for the best for you (whether that be they made a mistake or not - whichever is most advantageous from your standpoint).
Yea, I'd have to agree there on depending who is writing up the description and checking the speaker cause thats $120 off the orig price when I've seen some open box items only be $20-50 off so just makes you wonder on that one. Be nice to find a nice open box black one.

Last edited by pretsam; 04-06-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #1102

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretsam View Post
Are you kidding what are the odds of that. You rarely see open box of a C2 also and never of a 28. $479 is a great price to wonder why so much cheaper and the description doesn't say anything is wrong with it. Order that open box one and when the new C2 comes return it. If you have the funds to do so.
Well the listing does say there is nothing wrong with it. I recall there was a guy either in this forum or on AVS who ordered a C2 in rosewood and then said he liked the C1 better so he was returning the C2. This was 2-3 weeks ago. Maybe that's his? He was talking about putting C1's across the front in his system.

Anyway I guess if they say there is nothing wrong with it then that might make it worth taking a chance although they also say the box is "rough" whatever that means but I would also be wary of that since that could mean it is more susceptible to damage on its second journey.

Tough call.. me, I'd still be thinking I should have ordered a new one.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #1103
Power Member

Jan 2012

I'd call and find out myself.. But,then again,they don't have access to it so its a moot point. I'm guessing its scratched.. Otherwise it wouldn't be at that big of a discount.. Remember,you normally get what you pay for.. Monkuboy,since Reilly is gonna be gone ,you need to pick up his slack posting or I'm gonna get bored..

I just looked the C2 up.. Says its 100 %.. Good deal indeed..

Last edited by Goat1; 04-06-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #1104

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post
I'd call and find out myself.. But,then again,they don't have access to it so its a moot point. I'm guessing its scratched.. Otherwise it wouldn't be at that big of a discount.. Remember,you normally get what you pay for.. Monkuboy,since Reilly is gonna be gone ,you need to pick up his slack posting or I'm gonna get bored..
Lol ya Munk you gotta keep us updated on those 28s over the wknd. I'll be here all wknd hopefully can watch some more movies this wknd and try out the new calibration more. My poor C1 is sitting on the dining room table all alone since I have this C2 till end of May.

Yeah, ordering the open box is the risk factor of it. At least full warranty still. The rosewood def wouldn't show scratches as bad as that black if it was scratched up. I got my 2 OMD5s off ebay and they were used got them for $200. Was a steal in my opinion. The 1 OMD5 was MINT and the other the grill netting has a small tear in it and the back of the speaker where the screw hole is it was scratched up around the hole bad where someone screwed something to it to hard and shaved away some of the black glass. But you won't even notice it unless you are looking at the back. Other than that nothing else was wrong with them no scratches. They may still be under warranty never did bother to call and check.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #1105
Power Member

Jan 2012

How do you have the 5's mounted? upside down?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #1106
Power Member

Jan 2012

Just go the C1 my friends..
Old 04-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #1107

Mar 2012

Quote:
How do you have the 5's mounted? upside down?
I have them on a stand. It's a 30" stand but I think tech its 28" I should of prolly got the taller stand but it was out of stock on vanns website at the time and i was impatient. I think I really need the Sanus NF36 but was out of stock then. Have you got to hook up the C1 back up yet?
Old 04-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #1108
Power Member

Jan 2012

You should throw some pics of your system up.. Can't you mount those 5's to the wall? I don't think I'm gonna hook the C1 up til I get the 15's tues. I didn't even open the box yet. Being the C1 is a 6 ohm speaker and the Def tech's are 8 ohm,I figured I wouldn't miss match them.. I also think,if I end up keeping the Mirages,which then I would order the OMDR's,my brother would probably buy the def techs off me. We own a house together and he is upstairs. He crapped when he heard the def techs. So I'm pretty sure he would jump on them if I decided to send them back.. Win for Vanns..LOL
Old 04-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #1109
Power Member

Jan 2012

Look what I ran across my brothers.. Read down where the writer talks about sound and break in.. Interesting..
http://www.stereophile.com/content/n...er-loudspeaker
Old 04-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #1110

Mar 2012

Quote:
You should throw some pics of your system up.. Can't you mount those 5's to the wall? I don't think I'm gonna hook the C1 up til I get the 15's tues. I didn't even open the box yet. Being the C1 is a 6 ohm speaker and the Def tech's are 8 ohm,I figured I wouldn't miss match them.. I also think,if I end up keeping the Mirages,which then I would order the OMDR's,my brother would probably buy the def techs off me. We own a house together and he is upstairs. He crapped when he heard the def techs. So I'm pretty sure he would jump on them if I decided to send them back.. Win for Vanns..LOL
I posted some pics of my setup a few pages back. Post #990 and 991 on page 50. Page 52 has couple pics of my dads C2 borrowing. Do you set your receiver to use 6ohm for the mirage or does it do it auto? I've always wondered that with the receivers if you have to manual do it or does it do it auto cause I have never changed the OHMs on my receiver at all. At least you know you have a buyer if you want to switch

Last edited by pretsam; 04-07-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #1111

May 2009

Quote:
Look what I ran across my brothers.. Read down where the writer talks about sound and break in.. Interesting..
http://www.stereophile.com/content/n...er-loudspeaker

Well personally I think that speakers do require a short break-in period for the moving parts in their speaker cones, and perhaps something for the caps in the crossover networks but nothing near 100 hours. Maybe a couple of hours? Jim Salk who is pretty much universally respected, says to give his speakers a few minutes. I think it is often a matter that we get used to the sound, not that the sound actually changes appreciably after a few hours.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #1112
Power Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
I posted some pics of my setup a few pages back. Post #990 and 991 on page 50. Page 52 has couple pics of my dads C2 borrowing. Do you set your receiver to use 6ohm for the mirage or does it do it auto? I've always wondered that with the receivers if you have to manual do it or does it do it auto cause I have never changed the OHMs on my receiver at all. At least you know you have a buyer if you want to switch
Nice to hear from you guys. I have to manually set it to 6,but having said that.. Mine is 6 and up,so it shouldn't matter. I'd just have to jack the volume up on the center,the def techs are 8 ohm and easier to drive.

Quote:
Well personally I think that speakers do require a short break-in period for the moving parts in their speaker cones, and perhaps something for the caps in the crossover networks but nothing near 100 hours. Maybe a couple of hours? Jim Salk who is pretty much universally respected, says to give his speakers a few minutes. I think it is often a matter that we get used to the sound, not that the sound actually changes appreciably after a few hours.
Paul from PSB said the same thing. I think it may be a bit of both. But 100 hours is kind of ridiculous isn't it? I doubt its the same for every speaker even 2 exact speakers.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #1113

May 2009

The thing is, if you turn them up before 100 hours then the gnawing anxiety is there of, "would they have sounded better if I had waited the full 100 hours before blasting the volume?"

The 28's are sounding good.. they do require some patience to make even very minute adjustments in placement but I'm happy.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #1114
Power Member

Jan 2012

Honestly,I never blast them anyhow. I usually listen at normal levels. So break in might be a moot point for me. What would you guys do? Wait til you got the 15's or hook the C1 up now? I don't think it would make sense to hook it up now.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #1115

Mar 2012

Quote:
Honestly,I never blast them anyhow. I usually listen at normal levels. So break in might be a moot point for me. What would you guys do? Wait til you got the 15's or hook the C1 up now? I don't think it would make sense to hook it up now.
I'd just wait either way you'll question if the C1 is broke in and the 15s aren't on how they sound. Might as well do it all together. Did you get to call Vann's to see if they will extend your return period? Should I set my receiver to 6 OHM then cause I am pretty sure it's on 8 right now?

Monk, have you got to hook your 28s up to your amp yet?

I was behind my little entertainment stand hooking up some shorter HDMI cable and cleaning, boy I need some cable management back there. It's a little messy. At least I was able to knock out 2 6ft hdmi cables to 1.5ft.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #1116
Power Member

Jan 2012

I haven't called them yet.. I will ,I still have time.

What kind of receiver do you have? If it has 4ohm,6 ohm or 8 ohm,set it to 6. If it has auto,leave it. If it's an Onkyo like mine.. Its either 4 ohm or 6 ohm + ,put it on 6 ohm..
Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #1117

Mar 2012

Quote:
I haven't called them yet.. I will ,I still have time.

What kind of receiver do you have? If it has 4ohm,6 ohm or 8 ohm,set it to 6. If it has auto,leave it. If it's an Onkyo like mine.. Its either 4 ohm or 6 ohm + ,put it on 6 ohm..
It's Yamaha RX-V867

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...ps/rx/rx-v867/

Amplifier Section Channel 7.1
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 95W (8ohms, 0.09% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 130/165/195/240W
Old 04-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #1118

May 2009

Quote:

Monk, have you got to hook your 28s up to your amp yet?
Yup, hooked up to the XPA-1's. They make the LED's dance like the 15's never did. So far so good but I am still fussing with properly placing them. Definitely going to keep them!
Old 04-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #1119

Dec 2010
North Carolina
USA

Quote:
Yup, hooked up to the XPA-1's. They make the LED's dance like the 15's never did. So far so good but I am still fussing with properly placing them. Definitely going to keep them!
Congrats on the 28's. I bet they sound really good hooked up to those XPA-1.
3D TV: Mitsubishi DLP 92840
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-37
Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-2, Emotiva UPA-1
Speakers: Mirage(2) OMD-28 floorstanding,(1) OMD-C2 Center Speaker, (4) OMDR Rear
Subwoofer: Mirage Prestige S-10
3D Blu Ray: Oppo 103
Old 04-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #1120

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage29 View Post
Congrats on the 28's. I bet they sound really good hooked up to those XPA-1.
Thanks. Yes, they do sound good. This is a very busy weekend so I don't have enough time to listen to them - but the short time I did, I just wanted to keep adding songs to the playlist!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers