COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$70.66
Stargate: The Ark of Truth / Continuum (Blu-ray)
$16.19
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.35
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Ring (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air (Blu-ray)
$14.22
Congo (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 01-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #1

Oct 2011
Planet Earth, south of England
United Kingdom Pioneer (Only) BD player playback issues

This thread is....well for people with Pioneer BD players and have had movie playback issues.

Things to Check before posting an issue:

The first thing to do would be check the player is on the lates firmware either from the Pioneer site or by connecting your player to the internet.

Second and most obviouse make sure the disc surface is free of any finger prints and other artifacts.

The third thing is any player with a profile less than 2.0 will struggle with anything more than just a regular movie. The big Java filled discs (Disney and the like) just won't play. Unfortunatly if you want to be able to play these fancey discs loaded with bonus you will need to up date your player.

My current playback issues:

I have had a couple of issues. One was Gnomio and Julietwhere the disc just froze about 2 thirds into the movie. This was the UK SKU, BD+DVD combi pack.

The disc was clean. I have recently updated my LX71 firmware and need to see if it still happens. I'll get back to you on that unless anyone else had the same problem and the FW upgrade fixed it then please let us know.

I think my other playback issue was with Game Plane (Disney) but can't quite remember. If I come across it again I will post it up here.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #2

Oct 2011
United Kingdom Buffer Cache

I just got the rerelease Steelbook of The Hurt Locker. When I went to watch it it wouldn't load. After asking Pioneer how to empty the Buffer Cache on the player that gets added to everytime you load a disc on most Bluray players I did so and the film loaded.

If you are unaware of your player having this cache but find it slowing down when loading a disc you have watched before or not loading a disc at all then select Tools on your remote when there is no disc in the tray and you should see a couple of options come up. One of them should be BDMV data erase. Select it and that should sort things out.

If you have set any bookmarks, chapter points or watched a disc partway through, this data might be erased too.

With my experience with the different players I used to work with they all have different methods of doing this and might have different names like Meta Data (PS3) and so on.

Hope this helps

GP
Old 03-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

I have a LX52 running the latast firmware and have had some playback issues with certain discs. Two that I remember are The Incredibles US release and There will be Blood UK Buena Vista release. Both of which seem to start skipping and then completely freeze, at one certain point. I take extreme care with my discs, so it either comes down to the player or a defective disc.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #4

Oct 2011
United Kingdom There Will Be Blood and Terminator 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-UK View Post
so it either comes down to the player or a defective disc.
I will check There Will Be Blood on my player. I have it but haven't watched it. If you still have problems when you know the FW is up to date contact pioneer and give them the EAN (barcode) number. They may ask you to send them the disc so they can take an image from it but you will get it back the same day.

I used to work for a company that did QA checks on BD's and DVDs. There Will Be Blood was one of them, so the disc should be fine. I don't recall there being any playback issues with it. However your player wasn't about then so Pioneer may need to create a new FW to solve the issue.

Thanks for posting and adding to the thread Tech-UK.

For any one else I watched Terminator 2 Skynet steelbook edition last night and it took a long time to work and many reloads. I was just about to give up and it loaded and played fine. It's partly because I don't have a Profile 2.0 player and it got stuck on the Java load screen.

I will chek my firmware again and if its need updating and the disc works first time I will post it here. I also tried deleating the BDMV and that didn't seem to help on my LX71.

GP
Old 04-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #5

Oct 2011
United Kingdom Iron man 2 play back.

My brother had a pioneer LX70. When watching Iron Man 2, in the scene where the robots are being introduced at the Expo he found it jumped and stuttered for a bit.

I updated the firmware to the current firmware which is 3.01 and it still did it.

Can anyone confirm if it plays ok on their LX70 or if its never happend?

I have an LX71 and it works fine. It also works fine on the LX70a.

If any of you with newer Pioneer bluray players could confirm how this film plays on your player that would be great.

Cheers

GP
Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacialpath View Post
I will check There Will Be Blood on my player. I have it but haven't watched it. If you still have problems when you know the FW is up to date contact pioneer and give them the EAN (barcode) number. They may ask you to send them the disc so they can take an image from it but you will get it back the same day.

I used to work for a company that did QA checks on BD's and DVDs. There Will Be Blood was one of them, so the disc should be fine. I don't recall there being any playback issues with it. However your player wasn't about then so Pioneer may need to create a new FW to solve the issue.

Thanks for posting and adding to the thread Tech-UK.
For any one else I watched Terminator 2 Skynet steelbook edition last night and it took a long time to work and many reloads. I was just about to give up and it loaded and played fine. It's partly because I don't have a Profile 2.0 player and it got stuck on the Java load screen.

I will chek my firmware again and if its need updating and the disc works first time I will post it here. I also tried deleating the BDMV and that didn't seem to help on my LX71.

GP
No problem . I bought the optimum release after posting my last message, this one There Will Be Blood Blu-ray, but I haven't tried it yet. T2 takes its time to load up, but it does eventually .
Old 04-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #7

Feb 2009
United Kingdom

I have the LX52 with what I believe is the lastest firmware (3.72 Aug 2011) and the recently re-mastered US release of 'The French Connection' fails to even load, get the 'No title' message, it's Region Free by all the counts so that's not the problem
Old 04-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #8

Oct 2011
United Kingdom Lx52

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearce8 View Post
I have the LX52 with what I believe is the lastest firmware (3.72 Aug 2011) and the recently re-mastered US release of 'The French Connection' fails to even load, get the 'No title' message, it's Region Free by all the counts so that's not the problem
Oh thats a shame. Yup just double checked the FW on Pioneers website. You do have the most up to date firmware. Have you tried emptying the BDMV data?
You can do this by selecting the Tools button on your remote then selecting BDMV data erase. This is all the info th player picks up when it stops on the Java load screen with the little animation as it buffers from the disc. If that still doesn't work try some perseverence. I think I tried loading Terminator 2 about 10 times. I also got the "can't load disc" and "no title" messages. I tried leaving the disc in, turning off the player then back on again. Or taking the disc out turning off the player then loading the disc as normal a few times, even loaded a disc I know works to make sure the player was awake. I even threatend to watch another movie lol. It loaded in the end.

I'm not sure if the LX52 is a profile 2.0 player or less. That was part of the problem with T2 on my LX71. It got to a screen where the disc recognised the player is not 2.0 and that some of the disc feature would not be accessable. This is one it would freeze.

If none of this works. Contact Pioneer and tell them which disc won't load, they might ask for the disc (they will send it back the same day) so the can take an image from the disc and send it to the guys in Japan to work out why it won't load. Then issue another FW update hopefully fixing the problem.

Hope this helps.

GP

If any one else with an LX52 could find out if this disc works on their player ok or not that would be good.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #9

Feb 2009
United Kingdom

Ok then, it turns out the disc does work was about to try your suggestion Glacialpath when the menu popped up, it does take about 5mins though from first inserting the disc for the film to start, the mistake I made was to press play half way through instead of just leaving it to load, there's a lot of churning of the disc mind, but it will load.....eventually, I know the LX52 suffers from slow load up times, but 5mins

Aug 2011 since the last firmware, have Pioneer given up on the LX52, I know it's an older machine, how's it compare against others nowadays, PQ wise?

Last edited by spearce8; 04-08-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearce8 View Post
Ok then, it turns out the disc does work was about to try your suggestion Glacialpath when the menu popped up, it does take about 5mins though from first inserting the disc for the film to start, the mistake I made was to press play half way through instead of just leaving it to load, there's a lot of churning of the disc mind, but it will load.....eventually, I know the LX52 suffers from slow load up times, but 5mins

Aug 2011 since the last firmware, have Pioneer given up on the LX52, I know it's an older machine, how's it compare against others nowadays, PQ wise?

Good to know you got it playing! I believe the LX52 is now discontinued.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #11

Oct 2011
United Kingdom Nice one on getting it to load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-UK View Post
Good to know you got it playing! I believe the LX52 is now discontinued.
Yup. When you look on the website for firmware updates it has now been moved to the Archived Models. But if this was an issue (The French Conection not loading) then Pioneer would still release an update for it if they could work round the issue.

When I was at work the LX70 and the LX71 had long been put in the Archive but I still had to check for updates for them every monday and occasionally there was one.
So its worth checking Pioneers site once every couple of months just in case.

If I was still at work I would compare the Pioneers we had to see if the new ones gave a better picture for you but sadly redundancy came.

I love the picture my LX71 gives me and wouldn't mind an LX91 if I could afford it. I'm sure you have but make sure you have a really good quality HDMI cable going from the player to the TV or to you AV receiver then to your TV for the best picture.

I have a Chord Company HDMI Active High Speed from both my player and sky box. Then A Chord Company Superscreen from the amp to my TV. Of course the one to the TV only has to carry picture.

GP

GP
Old 08-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #12

Oct 2011
United Kingdom Spiderman Reissue

I just had trouble loading the Spiderman reissue in my LX71. It froze after the Sony logo that come imediately after the Java load screen (blue Spider)

I did get it to work after a few goes. What I did was leave the disc in the machine, turn off the player, wait a minute or two then switch it back on and it loaded. I was on firmware 1.72 though and have now updated it to 1.73.

GP
Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #13

Jun 2009

Got a "wonderful" issue - my Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD will NOT play ANY BD, but plays any DVD. How come? Anyone had this issue?!
Old 08-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #14

Oct 2011
United Kingdom BD play back

Quote:
Originally Posted by nincollector View Post
Got a "wonderful" issue - my Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD will NOT play ANY BD, but plays any DVD. How come? Anyone had this issue?!
I'm sure you did all this when you bought the player but recheck all the player settings. The first one to check might be the output resolution on the remote.
If its set too low it won't output BD. Its best to set it to source direct where it will detect the picture res from the disc. If you like using upscale then just set it to 1080p. Also make sure the firmware is correct which looks like it should be 1.73. You can check this by going to the home menu, selecting 16:9 in the aspectration and pressing the blue button on your remote. This should show what firmware your player is on.

While in the home menu, make sure all the settings are correct. If you've set it to 24p output and your TV/Projector can't take this it will cause a playback issue. Also if you are set to 1080p and your TV/Projector is only 1080i then you won't get anything.

Let me know if this helps. If you still don't have any BD play back I'll have a think of something else.

GP
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #15

May 2008
Wash, DC area

Quote:
Have had both versions of this machine (BDP-51 and BDP-05) since 2008 and these machines are still hanging in there although I've become used to the slow load times.

I believe there are two lasers in the machine: one for Blu-ray and one for DVD and it could be that one of yo9ur lasers is dirty or malfunctioning. You might try a "cleaning" disc or try using some compressed air to try and clean off the laser. Since these players are more than 4-years old, they're probably not worth the repair.

I'm assuming you tried clearing the data in the BDMV cache.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Texas, at the bottom of a well 21,000 ft down

Quote:
I just discovered this thread. I had the same issue with my 2009 Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD last year. After less than two years of ownership, it began having "unknown disc" or "Can't Play Disc" messages and would not load a blu-ray. I kept my firmware up to date so it wasn't that. At first it was a movie here and there, so I naturally assumed I had a bad disc and was exchanging discs when it happened. Then it became more frequent and I realized it couldn't be the discs or the firmware. One day I put in a disc I had already viewed several months before with no issues. That disc would not load either. I sat down and began feeding blu-rays into it and maybe 1 in 10 would load. But it would play any DVD I put in without a problem.

An online search and time at the AVS forum revealed that Pioneer has had issues with their flagship BD players and early drive failures. I sent mine back to Pioneer for replacement (I was still within the two year warranty). It took four weeks before I got it back because there was a delay getting replacement parts from Japan due to last year's tragic earthquake and tsunami. They replaced the drive, performed all needed upgrades and other replacements and maintenance, etc.

Last edited by oildude; 08-24-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #17

Aug 2012
Default DTS audio

I purchased a Pioneer BDP-LX55. Regarding playback from a an external hard drive using the usb port: I have two MKV files with identical audio settings (DTS codec, 6 channel). One plays in 6 channel, the other only in stereo. I can provide more details if warranted. But I suspect that this player (maybe all players?) is simply erratic when it comes to playing MKV files properly. I have additional MKV files that should be playing in 6 channel but are not. There are some differences in which versions of mkvmerge was used for the encoding. Is that a factor?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Texas, at the bottom of a well 21,000 ft down

My BDP-09, repaired under warranty by Pioneer in May 2011 with a new drive and lots of other parts, has failed again. It played fine two days ago. Today it refuses to load any blu-ray. It makes the same clicking sounds it did the first time it failed, then gives me the UNKOWN DISC/CAN"T PLAY DISC message, just like last time. And just like last time, it will play DVDs.

I contacted Pioneeer and since it is out of warranty, it is on my dime to ship it to them and pay for evaluation. It will cost over $120 to ship it back plus another $80 for them to evaluate the problem and then they will quote me a repair cost for a new (3rd time) drive replacement.

I am done. Biggest waste of money ever on an electronic product. Time to buy an Oppo.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Firmware update version 3.74 now available for LX52 and 320. Check your player to see if an update is available.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #20

May 2013

I have a Death Proof Blu-Ray disc that won't load on my player.

Its a BD122.

Does anyone know why? I've updating the firmware, all my other discs work.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders