COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
American Hustle (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Flatliners (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Red vs. Blue: RVBX: Ten Years of Red vs. Blue (Blu-ray)
$53.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Anaconda (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$20.98
Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2010: The Year We Make Contact (Blu-ray)
$6.36
The Shawshank Redemption (Blu-ray)
$5.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
An American Girl: Isabelle Dances Into the Spotlight (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Essential Jacques Demy (Blu-ray)
$86.29
The Bourne Legacy (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Upotte!!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Old 04-11-2012, 03:51 AM   #48561
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekak229 View Post
I wouldn't call it overrated necessarily, as it garnered basically no recognition last year, besides the fact that it was an NC-17 movie and that's what got it some attention. I just think McQueen's brilliant filmmaking technique and Fassbender and Mulligan's performances are something that you can't really overlook here.
+1 to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbikeshorts View Post
Btw, this hysterical parody review also highlights some of Shame's more glaring problems: Sam Strange Remembers: SHAME
While the film is my 2nd favorite of last year, I do find this really entertaining. Thanks for that.

Last edited by Hawkguy; 04-11-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:58 AM   #48562
Special Member

Aug 2009
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopFilm View Post
+1 to this.

While the film is my 2nd favorite of last year, I do find this really entertaining. Thanks for that.
By the time I saw Shame in Australia, it seemed to have a lot of hype.
However, I was surprised that Michael Fassbender missed out on an Oscar nomination. Perhaps some of the heat from the European festival circuit didn't translate into much acclaim by the time the film got to the US.
TV: 50” Panasonic TH-50PZ850A
Blu-ray: Panasonic DMP-BD80
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1019
DVR: TiVo 160GB, with external 1TB hard drive
Speakers: KEF iQ70's front; iQ60 centre; iQ10's surround and rear surround
Subwoofer: SVS PC12-NSD
Old 04-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #48563
Special Member

Aug 2009
Australia

Quote:
I wouldn't call it overrated necessarily, as it garnered basically no recognition last year, besides the fact that it was an NC-17 movie and that's what got it some attention. I just think McQueen's brilliant filmmaking technique and Fassbender and Mulligan's performances are something that you can't really overlook here.
It's probably worth noting; in Australia our rating system is similar, but slightly different to the US.
We have many of the same lower ratings, such as G & PG, but then we have M (content is moderate in impact - films like The Dark Knight). After that we classifications that are supposed to be legally enforced: MA15+, R18+, X18+.
Shame was rated R here, and unlike in the US with the NC-17 rating, it can advertised and shown as any other film*. My understanding is that an NC-17 film can't be properly advertised and will never appear on the shelves of Blockbuster or Walmart.

*Trailers for R films have to be shown with other R films, I think.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #48564
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
London, UK

Quote:
I like to blame the films problems on Abi Morgan, the script is what lets it down I think. Plus she is also responsible for writing The Iron Lady...
Old 04-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #48565
Special Member

Jan 2010
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLizzle View Post
So the Carlos discs are ready to be exchanged? I've been waiting to send in White and Carlos at the same time. They said they would send an email out when they were ready, but I didn't get one.
Neither have I. I've been ready to watch this for awhile now but keep putting it off waiting for the corrected disc. I hope I get an e-mail like retablo's with some 10 dollar credit. Interesting story btw, I was browsing Criterion's website last year and noticed they had the aspect ratio for Sid & Nancy listed wrong. I e-mailed Mulvaney about it and in appreciation got 10 dollars credit. Used it to buy The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus.
Equipment:
RCA 39" LED 39B45RQ 1080P
PS3 80 GB
SONY 5.1 HOME THEATER SYSTEM STR-K660P
DIGIX BLU-RAY PLAYER BD-500
Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #48566
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesncc1701 View Post
Neither have I. I've been ready to watch this for awhile now but keep putting it off waiting for the corrected disc. I hope I get an e-mail like retablo's with some 10 dollar credit. Interesting story btw, I was browsing Criterion's website last year and noticed they had the aspect ratio for Sid & Nancy listed wrong. I e-mailed Mulvaney about it and in appreciation got 10 dollars credit. Used it to buy The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus.
I got the email on 3/23. It was the standard message:

"We are happy to report we've received the corrected CARLOS discs.
We will be exchanging the Blu-ray disc 2 or DVD disc 3 directly from our
New York office. *Please send your CARLOS disc, disc only please, to my
attention at the address below. *With the disc, please include your email
and postal address. *Please do not include any packaging with your disc.
When we receive your copy, we will send you the corrected disc and a
$10 gift certificate to Criterion.com! *Thank you for your patience while
we sorted out this audio issue!"

Maybe write them again... I had written in asking for a replacement booklet for Kes because mine was missing, and happened to ask about Carlos.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #48567
Special Member

Jan 2010
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
I got the email on 3/23. It was the standard message:

"We are happy to report we've received the corrected CARLOS discs.
We will be exchanging the Blu-ray disc 2 or DVD disc 3 directly from our
New York office. *Please send your CARLOS disc, disc only please, to my
attention at the address below. *With the disc, please include your email
and postal address. *Please do not include any packaging with your disc.
When we receive your copy, we will send you the corrected disc and a
$10 gift certificate to Criterion.com! *Thank you for your patience while
we sorted out this audio issue!"

Maybe write them again... I had written in asking for a replacement booklet for Kes because mine was missing, and happened to ask about Carlos.
Damn. I e-mailed them specifically about Carlos in February. Maybe it's time to shoot them another one.
Equipment:
RCA 39" LED 39B45RQ 1080P
PS3 80 GB
SONY 5.1 HOME THEATER SYSTEM STR-K660P
DIGIX BLU-RAY PLAYER BD-500
Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #48568
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

Mulvaney also confirmed for me that the Carlos discs were ready. I sent it in about a week ago, along with White.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #48569
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
Mulvaney also confirmed for me that the Carlos discs were ready. I sent it in about a week ago, along with White.
I received mine in about a weeks time... still haven't had the time to watch it yet, though.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #48570
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by nametag View Post
I like to blame the films problems on Abi Morgan, the script is what lets it down I think. Plus she is also responsible for writing The Iron Lady...
I haven't watched it yet, but a guy I worked with said even Meryl Streep couldn't save that film. He said it was absolutely terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSquirreL View Post
why wait till then? There are MANY sites selling Criterion BD for around the same price as the B&N sale NOW! Or head over to the Criterion trade/sell thread, theres MANY BD being traded and sold for great prices (the only way I have the ones in my collection, I never pay more than I have to)
He/She's from Australia, might not be able to utilise those means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashio View Post
Dammit! It deserves to have cardboard packaging! The listed Amazon.com picture makes it look like it does have a slipcover & then I saw some user photos next to it and figured they forgot to include it
You could always make your own, like so many others do. Just get some glossy card stock to make a slip cover to put over the Kuroneko case. However, even though it doesn't have a slip, Kuroneko does have a pretty swanky cover with the metallic ink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdrewes View Post
July. If were lucky Amazon will have markdowns in the next few weeks like last year.
The current ones aren't enough?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #48571
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianGraham View Post
You could always make your own, like so many others do. Just get some glossy card stock to make a slip cover to put over the Kuroneko case. However, even though it doesn't have a slip, Kuroneko does have a pretty swanky cover with the metallic ink.
I'm not crazy enough to make my own covers - if its not official I'm not interested Nice to know that Kuroneko has a hologram-thing going on but there's nothing more satisfying than a cardboard slip for a classic movie
Old 04-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #48572
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashio View Post
I'm not crazy enough to make my own covers - if its not official I'm not interested Nice to know that Kuroneko has a hologram-thing going on but there's nothing more satisfying than a cardboard slip for a classic movie
I'm not really big on packaging myself, as I'm more interested in the actual movies, but I will say that Digibooks are kinda swanky. I like Dr. Strangelove, and the pseudo fake Digibook that Studio Canal used for the UK release of The Graduate.

Most Criterions come in plastic cases, unless they're multi-disc sets, or have really thick booklets. Gojira's a bit of an anomally that way, as the booklet's rather thin.

These are the Criterions I own that are in Digipack format:
Gojira
BBS America Lost and Found Set
Amarcord
Seven Samurai
The Leopard
Dazed and Confused
The Night of the Hunter
The Sweet Smell of Success

Monterey Pop and Yojimbo/Sanjuro are box sets, but still come in the plastic cases.

Some of the first BDs Criterion still come in slipcases, but it's hit or miss if you get one. Most people ordering them from Amazon as of late seem to be getting the slipcases, and are upset about that.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #48573
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Here, There and Everywhere

Lena Dunham is on Conan tonight - 11pm Eastern. Tune in around 11:30 or so if you just want to see her appearance. Larry David is the first guest.

http://teamcoco.com/schedule/2012-15#guest-30721
Barnes & Noble has Criterion Collection 50% Off Sales Each November and July
Next Sale: July 1 - July 28
Old 04-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #48574
Special Member

Aug 2009
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesncc1701 View Post
Damn. I e-mailed them specifically about Carlos in February. Maybe it's time to shoot them another one.
My replacement discs for both White and Carlos turned up today
I'd better put them in the player and double-check they work...
Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #48575
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Here, There and Everywhere

Quote:
I can't remember: do you already have the Nikkatsu Noir set and the Koreyoshi Kurahara set?
If not, they'll be right up your alley.
If you already have them, then you already know how great they are
I don't but I suspect they're only on DVD at this point. I'd have to borrow them from the library.
Barnes & Noble has Criterion Collection 50% Off Sales Each November and July
Next Sale: July 1 - July 28
Old 04-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #48576
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellOilJunior View Post
Lena Dunham is on Conan tonight - 11pm Eastern. Tune in around 11:30 or so if you just want to see her appearance. Larry David is the first guest.

http://teamcoco.com/schedule/2012-15#guest-30721
Careful now, someone's going to accuse you of being one of my sockpuppets, because you've brought up Lena Dunham.

Quote:
It's probably worth noting; in Australia our rating system is similar, but slightly different to the US.
We have many of the same lower ratings, such as G & PG, but then we have M (content is moderate in impact - films like The Dark Knight). After that we classifications that are supposed to be legally enforced: MA15+, R18+, X18+.
Shame was rated R here, and unlike in the US with the NC-17 rating, it can advertised and shown as any other film*. My understanding is that an NC-17 film can't be properly advertised and will never appear on the shelves of Blockbuster or Walmart.

*Trailers for R films have to be shown with other R films, I think.
Ratings systems, much like genre classifications and marketing, is rather silly IMHO. Here in Canada it varies from province to province, i.e., something that's rated R in Ontario, might only be a 14A in Quebec, or a 18A in Nova Scotia.

Also, although The Hunger Games was toned down to PG-13, I would argue that there's more disturbing content in that film than say, The King's Speech, which is rated R because of a few curse words. Kids honestly say a lot worse on the playground than what George VI was saying.

NC-17 films have managed to make their way to the shelves in the Canadian Wal-Marts and places like Future Shop and HMV. They're supposed to ask for ID when purchasing such titles, and at Wal-Mart, they have special codes in their computer systems that the cashier has to override in order to be able to sell you such titles. I've never been carded for buying a film to be honest, as I bought A Clockwork Orange and Monty Python's The Meaning of Life when I was "underage." My younger brother bought the unrrated version of Old School (in Canada it's 18A) when he was 13/14, and no one questioned him. It really depends on the clerk/store though.

As far as trailers are concerned, I find that films are marketed here based more on potential audience/genre, rather than ratings. When I was at the theatre this past Friday, they advertised Twilight, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, and Snow White and the Huntsman, to go with the whole supernatural/fantasy/sci-fi genres. When I went to see Sherlock Holmes back in December, they were advertising stuff like The Dark Knight Rises, John Carter, and other male-centric action/thriller type films. At least that's the way things are in the theatres I go to around here.

Edit: my mistake, NC-17 doesn't exist here, R is the highest. 18A is the equivalent of the US R.

Last edited by BohemianGraham; 04-11-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #48577
Blu-ray Count

May 2011
El Paso, Texas

The MPAA is ridiculous. Have you all seen This Film Is Not Yet Rated, some of it is quite interesting.
My Reviews - My Art - My Twitter

Instagram: @abdrewes

Old 04-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #48578
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quebec is weird sometimes on Ratings of movies, stuff with nudity will get a lot more freedom then in the rest of North America and not be rated as high.
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 04-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #48579
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
Quebec is weird sometimes on Ratings of movies, stuff with nudity will get a lot more freedom then in the rest of North America and not be rated as high.
Thats because you guys are French, and as we all know, the French are far more liberal than us repressed Anglos!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #48580
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianGraham View Post
Thats because you guys are French, and as we all know, the French are far more liberal than us repressed Anglos!
I always believe that were so, we seem to have a much more European attitude toward nudity then the rest of North America, well certain part of Europe I should say
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors