Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
 
Gamer 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.00
 
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Katy Perry: Part of Me 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99
 
Dream Big: Engineering Our World 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
 
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.95
 
The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.33
 
Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.00
 
Finding Nemo 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.48
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #21
BD3Dfan BD3Dfan is offline
Active Member
 
BD3Dfan's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
218
2
Default

Just to get it in here before anyone else does...

There are two types of IMAX, actually. IMAX, the traditional 15/70mm format actually uses a taller screen, at an approx. aspect ratio of 1.44:1. IMAX Digital (Or as some call it, 'liemax'), uses a larger-than-stanard screen, at an aspect ratio of approx (To sight) 1.78:1. However, IMAX digital uses screens smaller than standard IMAX, which has drawn ire from large screen enthusiasts, with some calling out IMAX for initally not differentiating between the different experiences. However, most DMR'd films are usually presented in their OARs, meaning large black spaces on the tall IMAX screens, especially if it was 2.40:1.

In my opinion, I feel that IMAX digital approximates to DMR proportions, without the large black spaces of screen. However, compared to the true IMAX experience, it doesn't stand up against it. This is based on my previous 2 IMAX 15/70 experiences and several IMAX digital experiences. If possible, seek out a 15/70mm IMAX theatre. Otherwise, debate the pros and cons of IMAX digital before you consider it, whether it's worth it or not.

(And before someone starts critizing me for supporting IMAX digtal/liemax, I will point out that it's my opinion of what I see in which format. No outside influence will change that).
3D Kit: Toshiba 42VL863B and Sony S480 BD 3D Player
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #22
Dubstar Dubstar is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Dubstar's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock
1
1601
295
2
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD3Dfan View Post
Just to get it in here before anyone else does...

There are two types of IMAX, actually. IMAX, the traditional 15/70mm format actually uses a taller screen, at an approx. aspect ratio of 1.44:1. IMAX Digital (Or as some call it, 'liemax'), uses a larger-than-stanard screen, at an aspect ratio of approx (To sight) 1.78:1. However, IMAX digital uses screens smaller than standard IMAX, which has drawn ire from large screen enthusiasts, with some calling out IMAX for initally not differentiating between the different experiences. However, most DMR'd films are usually presented in their OARs, meaning large black spaces on the tall IMAX screens, especially if it was 2.40:1.

In my opinion, I feel that IMAX digital approximates to DMR proportions, without the large black spaces of screen. However, compared to the true IMAX experience, it doesn't stand up against it. This is based on my previous 2 IMAX 15/70 experiences and several IMAX digital experiences. If possible, seek out a 15/70mm IMAX theatre. Otherwise, debate the pros and cons of IMAX digital before you consider it, whether it's worth it or not.

(And before someone starts critizing me for supporting IMAX digtal/liemax, I will point out that it's my opinion of what I see in which format. No outside influence will change that).
this is kind of the point why theater chains can and are constructing specialty screens that mirror IMAX-Digital and don't have to go through IMAX licensing - a lot of films deserve the big screen treatment why just religate it to the one's that IMAX choose. IMAX 15/70 screens may have the upper hand in height and speakers the size of refrigerator's but there's enough alternatives to recreate a psuedo-IMAX experience

Last edited by Dubstar; 01-24-2012 at 08:27 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #23
UFAlien UFAlien is offline
Power Member
 
UFAlien's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
177
13
26
Default

They can't seek out a "real" IMAX theatre, as Underworld is only being released in IMAX Digital venues. Otherwise I would've mentioned it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #24
kevotinh kevotinh is offline
Member
 
Jan 2011
Default

I want to see this movie in Imax, but the one in sacramento download Imax doesn't show UNderworld in 3D. ( so sad.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #25
MikeCL MikeCL is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
MikeCL's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Connecticut
169
2
Question Real3D and Imax question..

OK I have a AMC Loews theater not far from me and most of the stuff they show in 3D is On Imax, however the Titanic re-release that is coming out is showing in Real3D.. So does that mean it's not a real Imax? i'm a bit confused.
Got my first Blu-ray on September 28th 2011!
100 Blu-ray's on 2/10/13

PS4 tag= Subaru1324
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #26
MikeCL MikeCL is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
MikeCL's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Connecticut
169
2
Default

I guess no one has been to real3D here?
Got my first Blu-ray on September 28th 2011!
100 Blu-ray's on 2/10/13

PS4 tag= Subaru1324
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #27
MikeCL MikeCL is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
MikeCL's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Connecticut
169
2
Default

I asked elsewhere and real3D can be expanded to fit a Imax screen still does not tell me if the theater is a real imax full sized screen or not.
Got my first Blu-ray on September 28th 2011!
100 Blu-ray's on 2/10/13

PS4 tag= Subaru1324
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #28
Dnsmills Dnsmills is offline
Active Member
 
Dnsmills's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Dallas, TX
8
136
Default

IMAX 3D and RealD 3D are two different forms of passive technology. IMAX is linear while RealD is circular. Major differences to the average person are 1) if you tilt your head during an IMAX3D film it loses the 3D effect while you can literally lie on your side and watch a RealD 3D movie with no loss and 2) the IMAX glasses are about $40/pair and property of the theater. They are to be turned in at the end of the movie to they can be sterilized and reused. The RealD glasses are essentially the property of the film watcher and can be taken home with them or put in the bucket on the way out of the theater for recycling. Hope that helps.
Source - Verizon FiOS
TV - LG 65LW6500
Receiver - Yamaha HTR-5930
Player - PS3 120GB
DVD Recorder - Toshiba DR430KU
Speakers - JBL
Remote - Harmony 880
Other - Nintendo Wii

Last edited by Dnsmills; 08-29-2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: spelling
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #29
EricJ EricJ is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnsmills View Post
IMAX 3D and RealD 3D and two different forms of passive technology. IMAX is linear while RealD is circular. Major differences to the average person are 1) if you tilt your head during an IMAX3D film it loses the 3D effect while you can literally lie on your side and watch a RealD 3D movie with no loss and 2) the IMAX glasses are about $40/pair and property of the theater. They are to be turned in at the end of the movie to they can be steralized and reused. The RealD glasses are esentially the property of the film watcher and can be taken home with them or put in the bucket on the way out of the theater for recycling. Hope that helps.
Sounds more like IMAX is active technology, then?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #30
Dnsmills Dnsmills is offline
Active Member
 
Dnsmills's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Dallas, TX
8
136
Default

No, IMAX 3D is definitely passive. Here is a decent article that can help explain it better than I can. It also has info on Dolby3D.
Source - Verizon FiOS
TV - LG 65LW6500
Receiver - Yamaha HTR-5930
Player - PS3 120GB
DVD Recorder - Toshiba DR430KU
Speakers - JBL
Remote - Harmony 880
Other - Nintendo Wii
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #31
UFAlien UFAlien is offline
Power Member
 
UFAlien's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
177
13
26
Default

I think what he's asking is whether it's big 70mm IMAX or a smaller IMAX Digital screen. The answer is IMAX Digital if it's at a Loew's. Also, if it says RealD but not IMAX on their site, then it's not playing in IMAX 3D there. Maybe wait til the end of the week - apparently some theatres still have Wrath of the Titans booked in IMAX until then and can't play anything else.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:24 AM   #32
EricJ EricJ is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England
6
Default

Also, there's the confusion between "real" IMAX and just large screens calling themselves "IMAX" with regular 70mm film and non-IMAX projectors, which has been a problem lately with some of the newer suburban venues.
Real IMAX is its own technological film/projection/3D entity, and anything else is borrowing trademarks.

Last edited by EricJ; 04-12-2012 at 06:29 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #33
MikeCL MikeCL is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
MikeCL's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Connecticut
169
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
I think what he's asking is whether it's big 70mm IMAX or a smaller IMAX Digital screen. The answer is IMAX Digital if it's at a Loew's. Also, if it says RealD but not IMAX on their site, then it's not playing in IMAX 3D there. Maybe wait til the end of the week - apparently some theatres still have Wrath of the Titans booked in IMAX until then and can't play anything else.
Sorry for the long delay but yeah I've been to one real IMAX theater before and it was floor to ceiling with the screen.

Too bad not very many around that I know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Also, there's the confusion between "real" IMAX and just large screens calling themselves "IMAX" with regular 70mm film and non-IMAX projectors, which has been a problem lately with some of the newer suburban venues.
Real IMAX is its own technological film/projection/3D entity, and anything else is borrowing trademarks.
Yeah they really wont be truthful with this because it would hurt sales I think.
Got my first Blu-ray on September 28th 2011!
100 Blu-ray's on 2/10/13

PS4 tag= Subaru1324
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:41 PM.