COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.31
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Tinto Brass: Maestro of Erotica Cinema (Blu-ray)
$45.34
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Insomnia (Blu-ray)
$22.98
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 05-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #101
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Mtl, Qc
Send a message via MSN to 4x12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcosG View Post
I just wanna say thanks to the OP for making this thread. I followed his advice and got the necessary tools for the in-wall wiring installation of the surround speaker cables. I was planning on hiring somebody to do this task, but am proud to say I did it myself and it turned out great. Next I shall do the wiring for my LCD in-wall. Here are some pics Before and After:

Good Job dude! Looks a lot better

I did the same last Jan when I revamped my HT room... I hated the look of the speedways but since I don't own my place I only minimal wireing work. You can see some of the work I did here. The right surrounds was a pain in the ass... the was 2x4 in different places, insulation that was about 7mm from the wall... so I needed multiple holes to get the wire from point A to B. In the end, it was worth it. The left was a snap but some mud work needed to get done because of the glue behind the raceway... it ripped a few coats of paint and made a nice hole.
HT Room:
Monster HDP-2400, Panny 50" PZ800, PS3 80g, Oppo BDP-83, Explorer 4250 HD, Emo UPA-5, 3x Emo UPA-1's,
Pioneer Elite SC-07, Marantz CD5003, Axiom QS8's, Monitor Audio RS6 & RSLCR (Walnut), Four eD A2-300's, Harmony ONE.
Guest Room:Samsung PN42B450, PS3 120g Slim, SA Explorer 4250 HD, Gamecube
Audio Room Monster HDP-2400, Paradigm Monitor 9 v6, Paradigm CC-290 v6, Axiom QS8
Rate me!

Last edited by 4x12; 05-14-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #102
Expert Member

Mar 2009

If you need to run wire past 2x4 that are in the wall...is it better to re-do the drywall or is it doable with a long drillbit? Has anyone done this btw?
Old 05-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #103

Apr 2008
Cape Cod, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthrone View Post
If you need to run wire past 2x4 that are in the wall...is it better to re-do the drywall or is it doable with a long drillbit? Has anyone done this btw?
You can get drillbits that are long and flexible for something like that, but they are tricky to use. Then once you have the little hole, its hard to thread it with the wire or fish tape. It might be easier to cut holes in the drywall right in front of the stud, then notch the stud out, run the wire, and patch.
Sharp Aquos LC-42D64U
Integra DTR-8.8 (Onkyo 875 equiv)
Bayaudio TC40 (FL/FR/SL/SR) TC42 (C) 865 (SB)
Aerial SW-12 Sub (not original amp)
Buttkicker Mini LFE on Audiosource 5.3
SONY Playstation 3, XBOX running XBMC
Pioneer DV-F07, Rotel RDV-1060
Nintendo Wii, Sony Playstation 2
Old 05-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #104
Banned

May 2007
Irvine, CA

This is from my personal website.

http://progressive-installations.com...ry2/index.html

There are many ways to run wires in your walls with the right tools. The first page shows like its that simple but it is not always the case. Every house is built different.

Any questions regarding running wires PM me.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:15 AM   #105
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010

I'm about to attempt this with my mounted TV I'm going to use http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback. Will I need different Hdmi cables as well?
Will I be violating some kind of code?
How the hell do I find out if theres horizontal studs?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #106

Apr 2008
Cape Cod, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXI GaMe IXx View Post
I'm about to attempt this with my mounted TV I'm going to use http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback. Will I need different Hdmi cables as well?
Will I be violating some kind of code?
How the hell do I find out if theres horizontal studs?
The only way to find out if there is any horizontal blocking is to cut the hole and try and stick something up there. Blocking is pretty rare, just make sure there aren't pipes running up the wall (which you want to avoid anyway) and you'll probably be fine. You don't need any kind of special cables to use that, it just has a bulk plate which is basically a way to make a wide open hole in the wall look nice, so unless your HDMI cable has a ridiculously gigantic connector, it will fit right through it. Good luck!
Sharp Aquos LC-42D64U
Old 06-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #107
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010

Ok guys I'm running the Hdmi cables down I have the

Low-voltage single-gang old work box.

bulk plate

What is that metal piece I'm missing between the two
Old 10-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #108
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
626, So Cal

any tips on turning corners? I have the HDTV in a corner and would like to mount the surrounds and rear channels on the other end of the room and will need to go around at least one corner to get at 90 degrees for the surrounds, much less the rears.
---
"No matter where you go, there you are."
SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/WiiU
320GB CECHA01- YLOD; 160GB Drake's (hax0r3d OtherOS toy); 120GB Slim with Move
PSN: Uxi Twitter: Uxixu
Old 12-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #109

Nov 2010

Has anyone found a source for the male end of the powerbridge setups? You can get the recessed wall outlets at home depot and running the romex and buying plastic boxes is easy enough.

The extension cord is available on amazon as well. Seems you should be able ot find these somewhere.......
Old 06-23-2011, 03:42 AM   #110

Jun 2011
michigan
Default electrical

so i have a green power saving surge protector and it keeps tripping. Would this be because of the amount of joules it can handle or the actual amount of power being pulled. If either what can i do to resolve this situation. I am new to this whole thing and could use some usefull advice.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #111
Special Member

Jan 2008
nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by ces-worshiper View Post
Has anyone found a source for the male end of the powerbridge setups? You can get the recessed wall outlets at home depot and running the romex and buying plastic boxes is easy enough.

The extension cord is available on amazon as well. Seems you should be able ot find these somewhere.......
I know i"m a bit late on this but I got mine from MCM electronics, they are power inlets or male edison. mine are decora single gang.
ps3 games: 5 blu-ray: 57
psn: guitarist155

projector: Optima HD70.(epson 8350 coming soon) AVR:onkyo tx-nr809 and HT-RC180 sources: 80G PS3 and 120g PS3 slim, pro-ject debut III turntable, hitachi VCR. power: furman PL-plus II (separate rack), APC H10 speakers: Niles pro LCR and di/bipole surrounds.. Polk CS2 center, monitor 60 fronts, monitor 40 surrounds, 2 x psw10 subwoofers.remote Harmony 890 (RF ;) ) Screen: HDVio 110" electric. plus the bedroom setup...
Old 06-23-2011, 04:00 AM   #112
Special Member

Jan 2008
nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilass304 View Post
so i have a green power saving surge protector and it keeps tripping. Would this be because of the amount of joules it can handle or the actual amount of power being pulled. If either what can i do to resolve this situation. I am new to this whole thing and could use some usefull advice.
my guess would be that you have exceeded the load rating.. you will have to get another to share some of the load, or find one that handles more current. it is a bad idea to keep using it overloaded on the off chance that it might not trip and could cause a fire.
ps3 games: 5 blu-ray: 57
psn: guitarist155

projector: Optima HD70.(epson 8350 coming soon) AVR:onkyo tx-nr809 and HT-RC180 sources: 80G PS3 and 120g PS3 slim, pro-ject debut III turntable, hitachi VCR. power: furman PL-plus II (separate rack), APC H10 speakers: Niles pro LCR and di/bipole surrounds.. Polk CS2 center, monitor 60 fronts, monitor 40 surrounds, 2 x psw10 subwoofers.remote Harmony 890 (RF ;) ) Screen: HDVio 110" electric. plus the bedroom setup...
Old 06-24-2011, 01:21 AM   #113

Jun 2011
michigan

just got two livewire pc1100
Old 04-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #114

Apr 2012
SF Bay Area
Default Shielding spkr cable next to 120VAC power line?

I'm putting sound in a house (not mine) and have a problem in one room. The volume control for the room will have to be mounted directly above the light/fan variable control switch, and the speaker wire both down and up will run in close proximity to the AC wiring to the room lights and fan (it's a den with a fan, not a bathroom!). There is 3.75" between the studs, and I'm not going to rip out the portion of the wall up to the ceiling just to tack the speaker wire onto the stud opposite the one with the AC wires. And putting the volume control in another location is not an option.

Should I consider shielding the speaker wires from the attic down to the volume control, say with something like metal braided techflex, and grounding one end of the braid to the AC ground? (Getting shielded wiring is also not an option...already have plenty of 14/2 & 14/4 to use.)

Thanks!
-----
Sent from my iTurboencabulator
Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #115

Apr 2008
Cape Cod, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refnoredcard View Post
I'm putting sound in a house (not mine) and have a problem in one room. The volume control for the room will have to be mounted directly above the light/fan variable control switch, and the speaker wire both down and up will run in close proximity to the AC wiring to the room lights and fan (it's a den with a fan, not a bathroom!). There is 3.75" between the studs, and I'm not going to rip out the portion of the wall up to the ceiling just to tack the speaker wire onto the stud opposite the one with the AC wires. And putting the volume control in another location is not an option.

Should I consider shielding the speaker wires from the attic down to the volume control, say with something like metal braided techflex, and grounding one end of the braid to the AC ground? (Getting shielded wiring is also not an option...already have plenty of 14/2 & 14/4 to use.)

Thanks!
I don't think over that distance for speaker level signal it would make enough difference to spend the extra money to shield speaker wire, I wouldn't worry about it.
Sharp Aquos LC-42D64U
Old 04-10-2012, 04:17 AM   #116

Apr 2012
SF Bay Area
Default More: Shielding spkr cable next to 120VAC power line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompwr View Post
I don't think over that distance for speaker level signal it would make enough difference to spend the extra money to shield speaker wire, I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks for the feedback. What worries me a bit is that for the ~5 feet that the speaker wire (14/4 down and up) will be running along side the AC wire controlling the room light and fan (both variable controls), will I pickup noise from the motor? I haven't had issues running in-wall speaker wire over or next to romex for short lengths, but then never done so right next one running a motor (which historically are electrically noisy due to the brushes).

Cost for metal shielding would be $40, not a big expense, but a lot more work to put it in and ground it.

Further thoughts?
-----
Old 04-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #117

Apr 2008
Cape Cod, MA

Motors do tend to introduce extra noise, but I don't have any experience testing the effects on nearby speaker wire. I am pretty sure that speaker level signals are affected much less than line or microphone level ones, but it sounds like you want to be safe, and the jacket you suggest would definitely do the trick. If you had the opportunity to test this before the installation (running power to a motor next to a speaker wire just lying on the ground or something) I'd love to know the outcome.
Sharp Aquos LC-42D64U
Old 04-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #118

Apr 2012
SF Bay Area
Default More: Shielding spkr cable next to 120VAC power line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompwr View Post
Motors do tend to introduce extra noise, but I don't have any experience testing the effects on nearby speaker wire. I am pretty sure that speaker level signals are affected much less than line or microphone level ones, but it sounds like you want to be safe, and the jacket you suggest would definitely do the trick. If you had the opportunity to test this before the installation (running power to a motor next to a speaker wire just lying on the ground or something) I'd love to know the outcome.
Again, thanks! In the hardware store Monday walked by the conduit...duh, much cheaper way than flex braid (KISS). My plan is to run the wire without, test it, then put in the conduit (picked up 6ft of it) if I need it. My current experience is running the speakers on my workbench next to the drill press (drill press came later)...wouldn't be a prob I guess if I liked heavy metal music!
-----
Old 10-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #119

Oct 2013

Wow, this is useful I bought Vogels mount wall panels and try to figure it out in terms of hiding all the cables...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction