COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Just Go With It (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sankarea Undying Love: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$43.08
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Black Dynamite (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 04-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India
Default Is it time to change my lamp? URGENT

I have an Optoma HD67 and I've used my lamp for 1200hours. The manual says that the minimum life is 4000 hours. But as of late, I've noticed muddier blacks, less vibrant colors, changes in color depth, and banding. The overall picture is a bit duller(but not unwatchable). I haven't changed my lamp since I bought the projector two years ago. Is it time to change it or am I overreacting?

Also, is the HD66 lamp compatible with the HD67 projector?

I see different housing for the lamps. How important is this and what should I look for when I buy a new lamp? Please help me out, this is my first time.

Both of these are for my Projector but the housing looks different. Which one should I buy?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AVCITE24HEZIN

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=AHAZELYWPH9NT

EDIT: I've come across posts where people say their bulbs exploded! what precautionary measures can I take to prevent that? I'm afraid of the new bulb being faulty as well.
Are their any other things I should look for like matching voltages?
Optoma HD66 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver
PC (Nvidia GTX 460, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5, 32inch Sony Bravia as Monitor) | PS3 | XBOX360 | PS4 | Ultimate Ears 900 earphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | Apple Airport Express | iPad Air | iPhone 5 | iPod Classic | Macbook Air (mid 2012) |
Philips Hue mood lighting | Nvidia 3D Vision

Last edited by srinivas1015; 04-02-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

I don't always trust the pictures on Amazon as much as the model number quoted in the description. I'd look either for the exact lamp model number recommended in your manual or find the exact model number on Optomas website and go for whatever has that in the description.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)
Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post
I don't always trust the pictures on Amazon as much as the model number quoted in the description. I'd look either for the exact lamp model number recommended in your manual or find the exact model number on Optomas website and go for whatever has that in the description.
The model number of the lamp matches that in the manual. But why is the housing different?
Optoma HD66 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver
PC (Nvidia GTX 460, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5, 32inch Sony Bravia as Monitor) | PS3 | XBOX360 | PS4 | Ultimate Ears 900 earphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | Apple Airport Express | iPad Air | iPhone 5 | iPod Classic | Macbook Air (mid 2012) |
Old 04-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post
The model number of the lamp matches that in the manual. But why is the housing different?
The pictures are never accurate, and I am sure the housing will fit in your projector.

But those are knock-off replacement lamps. NOT OEM. Usually anytime they say the magic word replacement, its a knock-off and NOT OEM. The bulb itself might be OEM, meaning its from philips or what not. But the housing is NOT OEM. Thus the whole lamp assembly is suspect and definitely NOT OEM.

My suggestion is to look for an original OEM lamp from the manufacturer of your projector. Anything else, and you might be sorely disappointed, and potentially damage your projector.

Look at my experience below, with NON OEM lamp's:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=188984

Optoma has a website which sells original lamps. For the price difference, I wouldn't take a risk with any other lamp than a true OEM.

http://shop.optomausa.com/lamp_data.php?p_no=14
TIL ALL ARE ONE THEATER
Projector: PIONEER FPJ1 (JVC RS2 Clone) 1080P LCOS
Screen: 106" EluneVision 16:9 (White) - 1.2 Gain
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR705
Blu-ray: Sony Playstation 3 - 60GB
Power Protection: APC Smart-UPS 1500
Universal Remote: URC RFS200 PowerPak Bundle w/ MasterControl RF20 and PowerBlaster
SVS 7.2 SURROUND SOUND: Fronts & Surrounds: SVS SBS-01 / Center: SVS SCS-01 / Subs: SVS PB10-NSD

Last edited by tilallr1; 04-03-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilallr1 View Post
The pictures are never accurate, and I am sure the housing will fit in your projector.

But those are knock-off replacement lamps. NOT OEM. Usually anytime they say the magic word replacement, its a knock-off and NOT OEM. The bulb itself might be OEM, meaning its from philips or what not. But the housing is NOT OEM. Thus the whole lamp assembly is suspect and definitely NOT OEM.

My suggestion is to look for an original OEM lamp from the manufacturer of your projector. Anything else, and you might be sorely disappointed, and potentially damage your projector.

Look at my experience below, with NON OEM lamp's:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=188984

Optoma has a website which sells original lamps. For the price difference, I wouldn't take a risk with any other lamp than a true OEM.

http://shop.optomausa.com/lamp_data.php?p_no=14

Thanks for your help. The only problem is that most sites don't ship internationally. What about this one? It's sold by Amazon.com directly(not a marketplace seller) and it says it's an OEM Optoma Lamp. There were other ones by Philips like you stated.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

EDIT : I just noticed the Optoma link you posted. Checking to see if they ship internationally. Thanks for that.

EDIT #2: Unfortunately they don't ship internationally and the Asian website of Optoma doesn't as well. My nearest Optoma service center is in another city. As of now, the amazon link in this post is my last option.

Last edited by srinivas1015; 04-03-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post
Thanks for your help. The only problem is that most sites don't ship internationally. What about this one? It's sold by Amazon.com directly(not a marketplace seller) and it says it's an OEM Optoma Lamp. There were other ones by Philips like you stated.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

EDIT : I just noticed the Optoma link you posted. Checking to see if they ship internationally. Thanks for that.

EDIT #2: Unfortunately they don't ship internationally and the Asian website of Optoma doesn't as well. My nearest Optoma service center is in another city. As of now, the amazon link in this post is my last option.
Sorry for the late reply. I would try contacting the seller directly and confirm the housing is also OEM. If not, its a knock-off. By the looks of it, it appears to be another replacement version, aka knockoff. So I personally would stay away.

Have you tried to contact Optoma and ask for where you can purchase the original lamp in your region? They might be extremely helpful.

EDIT#1:

Found this link:

http://asia.optoma.com/where_to_buy/index.aspx

ADVANCED TECHPRO SERVICES PVT. LTD
206/A, 2nd Floor, Pancom Business Center, Ameerpet, Hyderabad- 500 073.
TEL:+91-40-2374-8222 / 2374-9222
viswanath@advancedtechpro.com

Optoma India Business Contact
TEL:+91-8008 999901
senthil.kumar@optoma.com.tw
TIL ALL ARE ONE THEATER
Projector: PIONEER FPJ1 (JVC RS2 Clone) 1080P LCOS
Screen: 106" EluneVision 16:9 (White) - 1.2 Gain
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR705
Blu-ray: Sony Playstation 3 - 60GB
Power Protection: APC Smart-UPS 1500
Universal Remote: URC RFS200 PowerPak Bundle w/ MasterControl RF20 and PowerBlaster
SVS 7.2 SURROUND SOUND: Fronts & Surrounds: SVS SBS-01 / Center: SVS SCS-01 / Subs: SVS PB10-NSD

Last edited by tilallr1; 04-11-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #7

Mar 2010
Maryland, USA

I just changed my lamp, after the replace lamp went on around 2800 hours, but my Sanyo was only rated around 2000 hours. I did read somewhere that you should periodically calibrate pjs since the bulb will dim with time well before it is supposed to be replaced. I did calibrate a couple of times before replacing, using a calibration BD, but I didn't change the settings much.

I also went with an OEM lamp. Sanyo had changed to a new lamp housing since I bought my pj, but I called and they confirmed the new replacement fit my pj perfectly, which it did.

But assuming your replace lamp light is not on yet, I wouldn't replace it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Tags
bulb, hours, lamp, optoma, projector