Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$199.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 04-13-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)
Default Moving Side Black Bars

Maybe I can get some informed information.

I recently received Hugo 3D/2D from the UK.

The 3D/2D is on the same disc. When I select 2D the movie plays with great detail and clarity. However the aspect ratio changes from scene to scene. The side is slightly cropped and they move in and out. Quite a bit from what I've seen. About 10%. Player and Projector had 3D turned off. Checked on my other 2D only TV, same result.

I guess this something to do with the 3D process. I have just ordered the US 2D only version to see if that is fixed.

However I will stop collecting the 3D/2D versions of movies if this is a ongoing issue.

Thanks in advance.

Ta Dono
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009(Atmos), 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Yunzi + 3 Tentation Ltd. Ed.
Headgear: Woo WA22 (tube amp), Oppo HA-1 (DAC and amp), Audeze LCD-3.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:52 AM   #2
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Are you talking about floating windows? That's a 3D post-process technique to reduce window violations and allow for more comfortable viewing of negative parallax. The 3D/2D combo discs really aren't the best for 2D viewing.

http://digitalcinema.disney.com/dc3dFloatWinMov.aspx
Vizio E3D420VX 3DTV, 160GB PS3, Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 Home Theater, Sony MDR-DS7500 7.1 Headphones

Last edited by BleedOrange11; 04-13-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Question

The side bars you speak of, not sure if that's something specific to that movie or your projector set up. Did you notice that same effect on another 3D movie just to test it out?

On all of my 3D movies, 18+, I've never seen this happen.

The only logical explanation, if it was in fact the movie being the source of the bars on the sides, could be post 3D editing, where they zoom in to crop the shot for the purpose of converging the 3D so it's easier to view. When that's done, depending on the 3D editor, there's a slight chance by zooming in too far, the edges eventually begin to crop and end up as black bars.

I could be way off there, it's just a theory. I don't have Hugo 3D yet, but saw it in theaters and didn't notice this.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
Are you talking about floating windows? That's a 3D post-process technique to reduce window violations and allow for more comfortable viewing of negative parallax. The 3D/2D combo discs really aren't the best for 2D viewing.

We're both on the same page with what the black bars could be, thanks for the link.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #5

Apr 2012
Toronto-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post

The 3D/2D is on the same disc. When I select 2D the movie plays with great detail and clarity. However the aspect ratio changes from scene to scene. The side is slightly cropped and they move in and out. Quite a bit from what I've seen. About 10%. Player and Projector had 3D turned off. Checked on my other 2D only TV, same result.

I guess this something to do with the 3D process. I have just ordered the US 2D only version to see if that is fixed.

However I will stop collecting the 3D/2D versions of movies if this is a ongoing issue.

Thanks in advance.

Ta Dono
I've couple of 2D/3D discs (not the Hugo, my pkg had separate discs) and I never checked their 2D versions. However, due to ur this post I went back & tested their 2D renditions (two movies)... They were fine... Everything as it should be, as with other direct 2D blu-rays.

IMHO, ur this particular disc could be defective.
TV: Sony-Bravia 55HX820 | 3D Player: Sony BDP-BX58 | Home Theatre: Harman-Kardon HS300-ME | Gaming: Sony PS3 Slim + PS-3D Display/TV
Old 04-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Special Member

Jul 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post

Thanks in advance.

Ta Dono
I got the same Hugo disc and will watch it tomorrow and tell you if I see anything. And you don't have to stop buying 2d and 3d combo packs because you can always sell me the 3d discs since your local
Old 04-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Special Member

Aug 2011

It has got to be floating window. Since the 2D version is on the same disk as 3D, I am guessing they are only playing back "one eye" instead of the original 2D encode.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #8

Apr 2011
Upstate New York

There's a sticky at the top of this forum dedicated to this topic....but to be honest, it's not super informative!
Old 04-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred0527 View Post
The only logical explanation, if it was in fact the movie being the source of the bars on the sides, could be post 3D editing, where they zoom in to crop the shot for the purpose of converging the 3D so it's easier to view. When that's done, depending on the 3D editor, there's a slight chance by zooming in too far, the edges eventually begin to crop and end up as black bars.

That sounds like a reasonable answer.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post

Yeah, It was kinda like that, however it was not floating. What I mean is that they don't move slowly like that video. On Hugo they jumped dramatically in and out on both sides of the screen. Very distracting.

Yeah, I won't buy a 3D/2D combo disc again. I will make sure they are on 2 different discs. I have ordered the 2D US version of Hugo to solve this issue.

Ta Dono
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009(Atmos), 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
The side bars you speak of, not sure if that's something specific to that movie or your projector set up. Did you notice that same effect on another 3D movie just to test it out?

On all of my 3D movies, 18+, I've never seen this happen.

I could be way off there, it's just a theory. I don't have Hugo 3D yet, but saw it in theaters and didn't notice this.
Yeah, I have Tintin 3D and 2D. They are on different discs. No issue at all of Tintin 2D. No cropping issues.

I saw Hugo in 3D at the Cinema. It had the same thing. Black bars moving in from side to side. However I think it was a awful setup, because there also was heaps of ghosting. I was also sitting bang in the middle (best spot).

Ta Dono
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies