Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
18 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
7 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$46.70
10 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 04-14-2012, 03:14 AM   #1

Jan 2008
Wimberley, TX
Default Trying to Decide...

Going to upgrade and seriously considering the Oppo BDP-93. However, heard good things about Panansonic. Which would you choose for PQ, AQ and reliability?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

The advantage of the OPPO BDP-93 over the Panasonic Blu-ray players is that the OPPO plays Super Audio CD’s, DVD-Audio discs, and HDCD encoded CD’s (all three of these are niche audiophile features). The Panasonic Blu-ray players only plays standard audio CD’s, video DVD's, and Blu-rays. Also the OPPO BDP-93 has excellent DVD upconversion that is better than Panasonic. The OPPO BDP-93 also has better build quality which is one of the reasons for the $499 price. The video source direct feature is another nice feature on the OPPO. The OPPO and Panasonic Blu-ray players will offer the exact same audio quality if you bitsstream. However if you own an older A/V receiver with no HDMI lossless audio inputs than the 7.1 analog outputs on the OPPO BDP-93 will offer you better sound quality (As long as your A/V recevier offers 5.1-7.1 analog audio inputs). The OPPO BDP-93 also has 1080i component video output for older HD displays that lack HDMI/DVI inputs.

There are advantages to the Panasonic and Sony Blu-ray players. Some models can be purchased for under $100. Both the Panasonic, Sony, and OPPO Blu-ray players have the exact same picture quality when it comes to playing 1080P/24 Blu-ray discs. In theory the new 2012 Panasonic Blu-ray players are suppose to support Netflix streaming at 1080P with 5.1 surround sound where the OPPO BDP-93 only offers Netflix at 720P with 2.0 stereo sound. The Panasonic and Sony Blu-ray players are more reliable when it comes to using the BD-LIVE feature. There are some Blu-ray titles where BD-LIVE will not work on the OPPO BDP-93/95.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 04-14-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
Special Member

Oct 2007

[QUOTE=HDTV1080P;6030580]The advantage of the OPPO BDP-93 over the Panasonic Blu-ray players is that the OPPO plays Super Audio CDís, DVD-Audio discs, and HDCD encoded CDís (all three of these are niche audiophile features). The Panasonic Blu-ray players only plays standard audio CDís, video DVD's, and Blu-rays. Also the OPPO BDP-93 has excellent DVD upconversion that is better than Panasonic. The OPPO BDP-93 also has better build quality which is one of the reasons for the $499 price. The video source direct feature is another nice feature on the OPPO. The OPPO and Panasonic Blu-ray players will offer the exact same audio quality if you bitsstream. However if you own an older A/V receiver with no HDMI lossless audio inputs than the 7.1 analog outputs on the OPPO BDP-93 will offer you better sound quality (As long as your A/V recevier offers 5.1-7.1 analog audio inputs). The OPPO BDP-93 also has 1080i component video output for older HD displays that lack HDMI/DVI inputs.

I had more problems with the panasonic bdlive then oppo. I agree with everything else.

Jacob
Old 04-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
PA

Oppo can shift subtitles if you have a scope screen and play blu-ray ISOs.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Over The State Line

I have the Oppo 83..never had a problem with it since I first bought it a few years ago, a well built solid machine very easy to use and set up and firmwares are always up to date...my vote is for Oppo.
MOE
Old 04-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #6

Jan 2008
Wimberley, TX

Thank you for your input, everyone. I will most likely go with the Oppo. A couple of the main things I'm looking for is quality up-conversion and quality build. I don't mind paying more for something as long as I get something that represents the value for the dollar so, as HDTV1080P has stated very well, the Oppo seems to be worth the money. I just don't want to keep buying disposable players. My god, for the amount of money I've already spent by being a first adopter, and then buying subsequent players because the ones prior keep dumping on me, I could have purchased two Oppo's. Oh well, live and learn.

Again, thank you for your input, all. I feel confident that the Oppo BDP-93 will be a good purchase.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
Expert Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

If it helps I have the oppo bd-93 in my setup now and the panasonic BDT-350 in my gallery now occupies a shelf in my closset as a backup. the panny wasn't a bad unit (far from it actually), and did a fine job especially with the dual hdmi outs similar to the oppo but the oppo is just a better machine all the way around. Speed of menu's and key presses, startup time and lets not forget the 50HZ playback feature to map to 60HZ US tv sets and of course the build quality is just unbeatable. as it happens I just ordered the bluraychip.dk pro mod chip today for region free playback and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. the Oppo is just a better machine all around.

Thanks,
T
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5008
Speakers: Front:Polk RTI A7 / Center: Polk CSI A6 / Surround: Polk FXi A6 (X4)
SUB: SVS PB12-NSD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
Game System: PS/3, XBox 360, Wii, PS/2
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
Old 04-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #8

Jan 2008
Wimberley, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydrugar View Post
If it helps I have the oppo bd-93 in my setup now and the panasonic BDT-350 in my gallery now occupies a shelf in my closset as a backup. the panny wasn't a bad unit (far from it actually), and did a fine job especially with the dual hdmi outs similar to the oppo but the oppo is just a better machine all the way around. Speed of menu's and key presses, startup time and lets not forget the 50HZ playback feature to map to 60HZ US tv sets and of course the build quality is just unbeatable. as it happens I just ordered the bluraychip.dk pro mod chip today for region free playback and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. the Oppo is just a better machine all around.

Thanks,
T
Thanks, that does help reinforce my decision.

I'm running an Onkyo 705 A/V receiver and I've always bitstreamed from the blu-ray to the Onkyo. I'm assuming that I should just continue to do that with the Oppo to get the best bang for my buck? Can I connect the Oppo directly to my plasma via HDMI and run my audio through the Onkyo for a better reproduction? Or, should I just run everything through the Onkyo and let it process all through to the Plasma like I've been doing?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:00 AM   #9

Jan 2008
Wimberley, TX

So, what are some others ideas about connecting this player? Are those that have the 93 running it via HDMI through their receivers? Or, are there some running the 93 direct to the TV and running audio through the receiver? Give me some opinions of what might be the best scenario to take optimal advantage. I've always run 100% HDMI with all my equipment.

Speak-up, please.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edh63 View Post
Thanks, that does help reinforce my decision.

I'm running an Onkyo 705 A/V receiver and I've always bitstreamed from the blu-ray to the Onkyo. I'm assuming that I should just continue to do that with the Oppo to get the best bang for my buck? Can I connect the Oppo directly to my plasma via HDMI and run my audio through the Onkyo for a better reproduction?
you should be fine with that set up there.

Jacob
Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:

Thanks,
T
+1

Jacob
Old 04-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #12

Jan 2008
Wimberley, TX

So, really the only benefit for dual HDMI outs would be if I wanted to run the player to another TV or monitor, right? Are (is) there any other benefit(s) that dual ports would give me?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edh63 View Post
So, really the only benefit for dual HDMI outs would be if I wanted to run the player to another TV or monitor, right? Are (is) there any other benefit(s) that dual ports would give me?
most people with an earlier receiver that cannt play 3d can do 3d when they have the player hooked up to the tv for 3d and then the sound from the receiver.

Jacob
Old 04-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #14

Jan 2008
Wimberley, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubystone356 View Post
most people with an earlier receiver that cannt play 3d can do 3d when they have the player hooked up to the tv for 3d and then the sound from the receiver.

Jacob
Gotcha.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if taking the 93 direct to my Panasonic TC-P50G20 via HDMI and running the audio through my Onkyo would be a better set-up than say, taking the Oppo straight through to the Onkyo via HDMI then out to the Plasma which is the way it's set-up now with the Blu-ray that I have at the moment. (Great set-up)

Can I take the Oppo straight to the Plasma via HDMI and then use the other HDMI port on the Oppo to run to the Onkyo for sound? That doesn't sound like it works that way, but I need to hear (read) what others are doing.

And listen, I know I sound a bit particular here, but I just want to hook this up to get the full potential out of this player. This is the first time I've spent this kind of cash on a BDP. I'm extremely stoked about this Oppo and I really hope it's everything everyone is making it out to be.

Also, has anyone purchased the extended warranties on this player? I've read some pretty bad reviews about the customer's expectations with these warranties, only to find out that they did not cover the way they thought. Should I just stay with the one year standard, or go extended?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRealist View Post
Oppo can shift subtitles if you have a scope screen and play blu-ray ISOs.
Except the latest firmware update removed that capability. The Oppo can also be easily modded for region free support.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #16
Expert Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

If you are not into 3d since your current display doesn't support it the dual hdmi may go unused on your system. However and I can't back this up with facts or measurements and it could be plecebo effect but by sending only the audio to the receiver and the video to the monitor/TV I think to my ear the audio sounded a little cleaner. can't really explain it but it did. at first I thought maybe seperating the signals allowed for cleaner signal to be sent to each device even though there is pleanty of bandwidth on the hdmi cable for both it was weird. Again might just have been plecebo. when I upgraded to the newer onkyo 5008 I went back to just one cable (i had the onkyo 906 before) and the newer sonics and the xt32 processor in the new 5008 was all the change to the soundstage i needed and haven't even felt the desire to try splitting the sound and video again. of course if you ever wanted to add a projector to your setup having the extra hdmi is kinda nice

Thanks,
T
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
Old 04-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #17

Jan 2008
Wimberley, TX

Quote:
If you are not into 3d since your current display doesn't support it the dual hdmi may go unused on your system. However and I can't back this up with facts or measurements and it could be plecebo effect but by sending only the audio to the receiver and the video to the monitor/TV I think to my ear the audio sounded a little cleaner. can't really explain it but it did. at first I thought maybe seperating the signals allowed for cleaner signal to be sent to each device even though there is pleanty of bandwidth on the hdmi cable for both it was weird. Again might just have been plecebo. when I upgraded to the newer onkyo 5008 I went back to just one cable (i had the onkyo 906 before) and the newer sonics and the xt32 processor in the new 5008 was all the change to the soundstage i needed and haven't even felt the desire to try splitting the sound and video again. of course if you ever wanted to add a projector to your setup having the extra hdmi is kinda nice

Thanks,
T
Yes, I'm wondering if that in fact would give me a better set-up. I'll play with it both ways and see what happens. However, can you use a HDMI cable to send just sound to the receiver? Wouldn't I use optical to send sound from Oppo and HDMI from Oppo to TV for picture?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #18
Expert Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

Nope you would be better off using HDMI to the receiver so you can get the lossless sound to your AVR (optical can only transmit lossy dolby digital etc. or lossless 2ch stereo). typically you would run a single HDMI cable to your receiver and a second cable from the receiver hdmi out to the TV. Now with the Dual HDMI you have other options. You could run one hdmi cable to the receiver and one hdmi cable to the TV. the effects of which as I mentioned are probably totally subjective. with my onkyo 906 I liked it but with my 5008 I haven't needed it that way.

Thanks,
T
Old 04-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #19

Jan 2008
Wimberley, TX

Quote:
Nope you would be better off using HDMI to the receiver so you can get the lossless sound to your AVR (optical can only transmit lossy dolby digital etc. or lossless 2ch stereo). typically you would run a single HDMI cable to your receiver and a second cable from the receiver hdmi out to the TV. Now with the Dual HDMI you have other options. You could run one hdmi cable to the receiver and one hdmi cable to the TV. the effects of which as I mentioned are probably totally subjective. with my onkyo 906 I liked it but with my 5008 I haven't needed it that way.

Thanks,
T
That's what I was thinking, too, on the HDMI to the receiver. Probably should just keep it that way. I might try what you've done anyway just so I can see if there is any difference.

Thanks for all the replies and the direction. That's been a big help. I ordered the Oppo yesterday, so I'm a kid at Christmas right now waiting for the delivery. I'll post back later once I get it and share my thoughts.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #20

Dec 2008
Riverside, CA

I actually had the same question as Edh, thanks for all the input & responses.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders