Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
11 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98
11 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$14.99
9 hrs ago
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (Blu-ray)
$4.99
5 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (only after you have seen it)
One Star 16 2.10%
Two Stars 40 5.25%
Three Stars 132 17.32%
Four Stars 368 48.29%
Five Stars 206 27.03%
Voters: 762. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #2881
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Florida

Yeah, even though I got excited by the final scene in the theater - in retrospect, the film should have ended with the scene before it. I don't mind terribly, but it makes it hard to see the film
[Show spoiler]as independent from the Alien franchise
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Old 06-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #2882
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

I just saw this in a "real" 15/70 IMAX. It was jaw droppingly gorgeous. No one can do visuals like Sir Scott. The 3D was one of the best, if not the best I've seen. And the audio was insane. This will melt some HTs when it's released on blu. Story wise, I enjoyed it. Keep in mind I ignored all press and reviews. I'm still in the process of digesting it though. I most certainly will have questions.

Edit: After seeing this, I have a huge craving to watch my blu-ray of Alien.
When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 06-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #2883
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2011
Toronto, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Forever Knight Send a message via MSN to Forever Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Forever Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
I really don't like explicit violence in most of my movies. I think "Lord of the Rings" went overkill in a few places (too many beheadings).
Don't be a girly. The movie was about war.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #2884
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008
Middletown, RI (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I just saw this in a "real" 15/70 IMAX. It was jaw droppingly gorgeous. No one can do visuals like Sir Scott. The 3D was one of the best, if not the best I've seen. And the audio was insane. This will melt some HTs when it's released on blu. Story wise, I enjoyed it. Keep in mind I ignored all press and reviews. I'm still in the process of digesting it though. I most certainly will have questions.

Edit: After seeing this, I have a huge craving to watch my blu-ray of Alien.
You first have to UNWRAP the Anthology to watch it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
I hope ur joking, as that guy has posted his thoughts (in a similar fashion) on Movies with Sex or Violence before. They are HIS Beliefs, so they should be Respected.
* Boston, MA. - 8 Sports Titles/11 Yrs!! (02-13) *

POLK AUDIO: "LIVE IT, BREATHE IT, LOVE IT, BELIEVE IT!"
* TV: 70" SHARP 3D/LC-70UQ17U - POLK AUDIO - "7.2" - Center: CS2 - Front: T90e's
Surrounds: FXi A6's (Side), A3's (Rear) - Subs: 2 PA-120's *
ONKYO TX-NR838 DOLBY ATMOS (Ready) - OPPO BDP-83 - DirecTV: HR-44 HD-DVR - Harmony ONE
* BLU-RAYS: 1060 *
Old 06-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #2885
Blu-ray Champion

May 2010
NYC

9/10

Feels kind of like Alien 2.0 except it's a distant prequel or something. I loved the
[Show spoiler] birthing scene in this one. The Alien birthing scene caught you way off guard so there's no way that'll happen again in an Alien film. The Prometheus birthing scene and it's length will test your resolve.

I felt they could've made the ulterior motives for David and the others a little more subtle. It doesn't take long at all to figure out what everyone is up to.

Some of the characters were just used horribly. Not much in the film made me feel that Elba was the captain of the ship or anything for that matter.

I think expanding the mythology was a good move as long as they eventually get to it in the sequels. Just don't end it like Lost, Lindelof....

Last edited by Tony208; 06-09-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #2886

Feb 2011

I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT...
am not a si-fi diehard fan and the original Alien is my favorite from the previous four and this one is such a treat.

I love how they expand this universe and make the alien a part of something far bigger! can't wait for the sequel(s)!!my only grip is the overuse of the religion tone, but overall can't be happier
JVC RS40 3D/ 114" Da-Lite Screen (1.3)
Onkyo Reciever TX-SR876/ 7.1 Jamo THX Speakers
OPPO 93
PS3/XBOX 360+ HD DVD add on/Wii
Old 06-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #2887
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada eh!

There are some plot holes and the final scene was totally unnecessary and nearly pointless, but other than that I really dug it. Elba, rapace, fassbender all really delivered. Film gives a surprising amount to chew on and the questions it left up in the air are really fun to contemplate. Some would rather view that as unintentional and see the film as a mess of non answers, which I guess is okay. The very concept of the film was destined to disappoint somebody, I'm just glad I'm not part of that audience and can see it for what it is.
JVC DLA-RS55 4K Shift Projector, 100" EluneVision Reference Studio 4K Tab-Tensioned Screen
*New unfinished basement is currently under construction* The new build thread!
64" Samsung PN64D8000 3D Plasma, Samsung BD-D5500 3D Bluray player
Main Floor: Samsung UN55D7000 LED 3DTV, Samsung BD-D5500
Beadroom: Panasonic TC-P50ST30 3D Plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 3D Bluray player
Final Fantasy Black Cloud 160GB J-PS3, Xbox 360 Elite
Old 06-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #2888
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Letterboxd

Idris Elba stole every scene he was in. Hands down the best performance in the film. All the actors did good and I think the film had an outstanding cast. I think the film was too visual. All of the work was put into making the film look and sound great. I wish they would have done more with the plot. This might be the best looking film of the year, but it will not get my vote for best film of the year for sure.
BAM!
Certification of films & other stuff
Old 06-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #2889

Sep 2008

i remember when the teaser came out and i said this movie looked dumb as hell, about 5 replies told me i was a ******** lol.. i was there opening night and liked the movie, like some of you, i had a few problems with the script. still had a good time though. Saw it in IMAX of course, best way to see a movie.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #2890
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010
Chicago

Don't know if this was posted in here or what after the site was down, but this is awesome.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #2891
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prox View Post
It really seems to me that most people who disliked this film did so because they were wanting something it was not. They were either looking for a copy/paste Alien movie or a prequel that stopped exactly where the original Alien started. I went in treating it as its own film that created a story that could possibly, eventually head in a direction I was familiar with and enjoyed it very much. Never did I expect all the answers to be given (
[Show spoiler]which is kind of the same message in the movie
).

Oh well, it's true what they say:
[Show spoiler]
NO, I didn't like it because of the terrible script and lack of, well, really anything. The movie had NO clue what it wanted to be. Conflicts were brought up then solved immediately, with no repercussions. No suspense, no action, no horror, no drama... paper thin caricatures for characterizations, silly music... and the worst old age makeup I've seen in a long time. Why not just hire a real older man, like Ian Holm, that would give a nice tie-in to the first film, instead of throwing Guy Pearce in 15 lbs of fake looking latex?

After Robin Hood and this, Ridley's lost whatever talent he once had. It's a shame.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #2892
Banned

Jun 2012

I noticed someone gave this 1 star, and I just knew it had to be blu-ray.com's film snob extraordinaire Retablo, and I was right. Predictable.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #2893
Blu-ray Champion

May 2010
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie Downer View Post
I noticed someone gave this 1 star, and I just knew it had to be blu-ray.com's film snob extraordinaire Retablo, and I was right. Predictable.
+1

A lot of the posts are gone but I still remember Retablo hating on every film
Old 06-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #2894

Aug 2010
Idaho

Liked the movie but was not crazy about it. 6/10.

I have some questions maybe you guys could answer
[Show spoiler]so why did David put the black goo in holloway's drink? And was he taking orders from weyland?

Like many of you I have a problem with the last scene. It bugged the sh** out of me. It felt like the whole movie could have stood on its own before that. I think Scott was just trying to pull of too much by stuffing an alien prequel and a whole new stand alone narrative in one 2 hour film.

Amazing cast and amazing visuals. I will be buying the bluray (pq and aq should be top notch) and look forward to seeing it with different expectations.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #2895
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2010
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
I know, but at a certain point, it almost seems like the fight choreographers had run out of ways for the enemies to die. The only moment that really creeped me out was in "Return of the King", when the severed heads were used as ammo at Minas Tirith.
"The cost of a thing is the amount of life which is required to be exchanged for it." ~Henry David Thoreau~

"Getting to Know Moviefan2k4" Thread
Old 06-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #2896

Jan 2011

A question for those who thought this was "great" - are you sure that you weren't just wowed by the spectacular visuals?

If it had looked merely average, would you have still enjoyed the story, the characters, the dialogue ........ ?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #2897

Dec 2010
AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchman View Post
Liked the movie but was not crazy about it. 6/10.

I have some questions maybe you guys could answer
[Show spoiler]so why did David put the black goo in holloway's drink? And was he taking orders from weyland?

Like many of you I have a problem with the last scene. It bugged the sh** out of me. It felt like the whole movie could have stood on its own before that. I think Scott was just trying to pull of too much by stuffing an alien prequel and a whole new stand alone narrative in one 2 hour film.

Amazing cast and amazing visuals. I will be buying the bluray (pq and aq should be top notch) and look forward to seeing it with different expectations.
This was answered in a previous post but I know there are many pages also so I will post it.
[Show spoiler]He put the black goo in his drink because Weyland asked David to "try harder" and then David asked Holloway "how far would you go to get your answers? What would you be willing to do?" and Holloway answered "Anything and everything". Holloway basically said he would risk everything to find answers. So David took that as a "you gave me permission then to risk your life so that you can find your answers; and the same time I am obeying my master's (Weyland's) commands".

Last edited by samlop10; 06-09-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #2898
Suspended

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
A question for those who thought this was "great" - are you sure that you weren't just wowed by the spectacular visuals?

If it had looked merely average, would you have still enjoyed the story, the characters, the dialogue ........ ?
Shut up. It was great.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #2899

Oct 2009
teh desert

Just saw this a few hours ago and thought it was really well done. The creators and well the whole look of the film was incredible. I saw it in imax 3D and will say the 3D is very weak though. I left with more questions than I came with, but was absolutly entertained. It seems pretty obvious to me AVP is not cannon after seeing this. The movie begs for sequels, but Im afraid if any other director touched them it would end up like Alien; 1 amazing 2 great, 3 turd, 4 turd. Anyways day 1 for the bluray, hopefully I'll be watching on the 80" sharp by then.
Samsung UN55C8000 3D led
Pioneer elite pro 710
Samsung 40" lcd
Deff tech 5.1 system
Xbox 360 120gig
PS3 160gig
Toshiba HD-A3 and 100 hddvds
Old 06-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #2900

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
Has anyone commented on how the Space Jockey has shrunk? Wasn't he HUGE in Alien, much much larger than a human?
Yes, the SJ in Alien was much larger than the retconned 'suited' version in Prometheus. It also looked different in a lot of other ways, plus of course the one in Alien was obviously skeletal and wasn't wearing a 'suit'.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies