Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.91
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 06-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #21
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2011
Toronto, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Forever Knight Send a message via MSN to Forever Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Forever Knight

If a reboot is a must... I'd like them to go the John Stewart route. Have a black Green Lantern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
The problem is, at some points in the Green Lantern movie it could have been a cartoon, and there wouldn't be any difference. What I mean is there are parts in the movie, especially on the planet Oa, where the only thing "real" was Ryan Reynold's head.
Which looked incredible in HD.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #22

Jun 2011

I think that Green Lantern doesn't deserve a reboot. Specially now, when they are done with the origin story. Still, I find it a better movie than most of the ones from Marvel.

I also think they won't get Nolan for every DC movie. That way of thinking is mediocre and only shows how desperate they are (if that rumour is true, that is). There are many good director's out there.

P.S: What's wrong with an Aquaman movie? I thought that stupid preconception against him had died out. Just read the comics.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

I don't have any problems at all with Reynolds in the Jordan role. I actually really liked him and I like how they treated the property like they did in the comics. This was actually one of the more faithful adaptations we've seen, and it got all kinds of crap for it, which is a pity. This franchise has great potential, and I think they should expand on what they've established after a JLA film. It would take a real hack of a director to mess up a Sinestro Corps War adaptation if they choose to go that route. Just sayin'
Old 06-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #24
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

DC and WB are very desperate at this point it seem. So that's the plan now? Let Nolan do every comic book movie
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 06-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #25
Special Member

Aug 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada

First they need to announce a DC cinematic universe to get it all started second they need to put a DC comics guy in charge of all the DC movies not Nolan . It really is not that hard to figure out .
Old 06-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #26
Special Member

Jan 2012

I absolutely love comic book movies and wish they would continue forever. I also prefer DC comic heroes over Marvel. However, with the sheer amount of comic book movies Marvel is pushing out, I'm wondering if we are in the peak of this "comic book movie renaissance."

The masses get bored ...and this year has what, 4 comic book movies?

I liked the Green Lantern movie, then again, I also enjoyed Superman Returns.

I really hope Zack Snyder does an awesome job... I loved Watchmen & Sucker Punch, but he hasn't done anything similar to Supes....and the diversion from the comic book suit (New 52) is a warning sign. (About WB/DC imo)

I personally thought Singer/Routh should have gotten another chance. The movie made similar money to Batman Begins and Nolan/Bale got a sequel. (If there was an actual fight sequence & no kid, it would have done way way better).

The magic at Marvel isn't one person; every movie has a different director & writer. I think relying on Nolan is a crutch for other issues within WB/DC.

(It would also inhibit Nolan from more Masterpieces like Inception.)

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 06-09-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #27
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Over The State Line

I think I'll wait until the new Superman comes out before I make up my mind if Nolan is DC godfather...so far DC isn't haven't much luck with movies.
MOE
Old 06-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #28
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2011
Toronto, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Forever Knight Send a message via MSN to Forever Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Forever Knight

I still think Green Lantern's greatest flaw was that it wasn't Batman and society wasn't ready for it. I thought the film was fun as hell.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-
Send a message via AIM to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
Despite the protest that he has chosen to kind of ignore the comics a bit i think he managed to strike a good balance but i'm sure he'd perfectly balance a more comic centric world.
Nolan doesn't ignore the comics, he actively draws a LOT from them. The problem, if it is a problem, is that he tosses out a LOT too, things that many fans love. For example, I love the idea behind the entire bat-family, but Nolan has decided Batman has to work alone. So he adapts elements from stories, like the coming-out-of-retirement from The Dark Knight Returns for example, but tosses out other elements, like Carrie Kelly.

The trouble with him shepherding everything is that he doesn't want the larger-than-life characters to come together. On the Marvel side, they let the "grounded" Iron Man exist alongside the cosmic demi-god Thor, but Nolan can't stand the idea of his "grounded" normal-hero existing alongside an extraterrestrial demi-god. The problem with Nolan in regards to a wider DC Universe on film is his unwillingness to explore the fantastic. He'd rather distill the fantasy into something "real", stripping it of many things the fans love, but still failing to deliver a story which is actually any more realistic. Superman is inherently unrealistic, Batman is inherently unrealistic, Green Lantern is inherently unrealistic. They need someone who can embrace the fantastic parts of it all while still taking it seriously. Nolan doesn't need to tie himself down to more DC titles that aren't his forte. I don't even know why he's involved in the Superman film.

Specifically on the topic of Green Lantern, however, I'd say it's ripe for more films. Do it like Incredible Hulk. Except, you know, they can cast a new hero in the lead rather than just recasting the actor after the last film failed to take off. Ryan Reynolds doesn't need to be in the film and neither does Hal Jordan. Make it about John Stewart or Kyle Raynor or any number of other Green Lanterns. They could even set the story entirely in space and center the story around an ensemble of alien Green Lanterns. They can hint at continuity without making it explicit. They could use a time skip to bring in Sinestro as the bad guy. Could even do a full-on Sinestro Corp. They could take the opportunity to re-write the visual language of the film, recreating Oa and redesigning the style for Green Lantern costumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelLane1984 View Post
I think it would be really neat to see a Teen Titans movie.
Judas Contract please.

They were going to do a DTV animated movie about it. Then they cancelled it for some reason. Not sure why, since Teen Titans was a very popular show, and Young Justice is very successful now as well. There's obviously demand for these characters. Instead, they keep releasing Superman and Batman movies. They're good, sure, but a little variety would be nice. It seems like they're turning away from even giving starring roles to other prominent heroes like Wonder Woman or Green Lantern. If it's not Batman, Superman, or Justice League (featuring Batman and Superman), they're not going to do it.
I need to stop buying so many movies and not getting around to watching them.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
DC and WB are very desperate at this point it seem. So that's the plan now? Let Nolan do every comic book movie
Yep. They are just too similar which foir me kills a lot of them.

Even so...Green Lantern isnt a very interesting super hero. Bleh.
Pioneer 5080 KURO
Samsung UN6500 LED
LG BD-570, Sony BDP-S360, PS 3
Toshiba A30 & A2
Sony STRDG-AV 810
Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW110
Harmony 510
Old 06-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
I also don't understand why people complained about the special effects. You're dealing with a race of alien beings, who use super-powered rings to create anything they can imagine out of green energy...what would you have it look like? I think all the sequences worked to serve the story, and that's what matters.
My sentiments are like the response below but the thing is the CGI looked incredibly crap. I don't mind CGI being used, but it's the actual look of what you see that was incredibly off putting. In parts it worked but mostly it was a total shambles when watching. I don't know why a realistic suit with CGI elements wasn't feasable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
The problem is, at some points in the Green Lantern movie it could have been a cartoon, and there wouldn't be any difference. What I mean is there are parts in the movie, especially on the planet Oa, where the only thing "real" was Ryan Reynold's head.

But, as Hawaii Sun said, Green Lantern was still better then Captain America. I dont think a reboot is necessary, but a new director and script writer is.
I agree with not rebooting cause i really liked Reynolds. His performance was spot on and even Lively, i liked her. The stupid look of the CGI is what took away from his peformance i think and the stupid hot wheels sequence they put in to his first intro among the other myriad of crap plot points, wasted character development for the people that should have been front and centre and then like mentioned, they show Sinestro become bad at a time nobody else is still around to see it or cares.

If they just stuck to GL: Final Flight, they would have so much easily made Sinestro the character he should have been and it truly would have echoed more along the lines of Batman Begins.

Also, i notice how quite a few people are against Nolan for his grounded feel he likes to give to his characters and seperate them but if we look at this logically, i'm the studio, Nolan is a talented director and producer who i give a brief to. I say

"'Chris, we're making a JLA movie but first we gotta bring all the members into the world before we do, i'd like you to really use your talents to really bring the comic book world to life but we need to remain more on the comic side of things to integrate everybody because people like Batman now need to be in a world with Aliens'"

I think as a professional Nolan understands the difference between doing what he did in his version of Batman and striking that more realistic tone compared to having a more comic book tone in this type of movie. He i have no doubt would really help bring all the different elements together so we have a great coherent movie. I think he'd easily let go of the 'realism' aspect cause he understands this isn't the same movie world he was crafting. It's completely different, it's a parralel.
500GB PS3
Panasonic 50VT20B
PSN ID: NARMAK
Old 06-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #32
Power Member

Jun 2012
California, USA

I'm unsure how good a JL movie can be especially because DC has had a hard time building its own cinematic universe like Marvel (which arguably helped make Avengers the success it was).

But I do think DC has a one up on Marvel because Warner Brothers owns all the film rights to their most popular characters, where Marvel does not (I think Sony Pictures owns Spider-man and Fantastic Four and Fox owns X-Men).
Old 06-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #33
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonan View Post
P.S: What's wrong with an Aquaman movie? I thought that stupid preconception against him had died out. Just read the comics.
That Stupid Preconception always seems to date back to Cartoon Network vs. Hanna-Barbera, in the 00's:
CN was so sick of showing reruns, they started schoolyard bullying Hanna-Barbera by making every stoner-retro joke against 70's H-B they could think of--from Ranger Smith to "Who liked Velma?" to "Hey, ever notice the Flintstones backgrounds loop?"--but they had a particular obsession with venting their spleen against Superfriends, and the fact that Aquaman only talked to fish. (The Wonder Twins got off rather light, by comparison.)
That's where Family Guy got it, that's where Big Bang Theory got it, and that's where everyone else who thinks they're telling the joke for the first time got it. The fact that CN was at it for years just sort of mass hypnotized everyone into thinking the joke had always been there.

It even worked on Warner, who is still so CN-hypnotized, it can't go a solid hour with anything pop-culture, cartoon or DC hero related without thinking the audience is snickering behind their back, and that they have to play any pop-culture property for retro-camp. That's how we got the Ryan Reynolds non-fan audience kissup in the first place.
Until we cure the disease, the symptoms are just going to keep reappearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
(It would also inhibit Nolan from more Masterpieces like Inception.)
Oh, don't worry, Japan has many more art-anime movies for him to copy!

(Say, maybe if he did "Beautiful Dreamer", who would get the Lum role? )

Last edited by EricJ; 06-09-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #34
Banned

Feb 2012

I'm sorry Nolan to godfather all superhero movies is just moronic and ridiculous. All he did was utilize his talents and tell a good story. That's all his formula was. His films are far from perfect, hell Dark Knight is heavily flawed and especially weak with its comic book characters and his costume choices aren't the best thing either. Mortal Kombat Bane yuck, seeing from descriptions of what the villain is, why didn't they just replace Bane with Hush as the villain. It would have been a lot better.

All you need is, someone who is a fan of the comic and understands the characters and the stories that make them work.

Nolan's batman films work because they're crime thrillers very similar to the Batman comics and Joker's love for anarchy pretty much summed up his character. World domination is just a cheesy plot device for superheroes that is ridiculous. Avengers used that motive for its villain and it really didn't come off groundbreaking. It was an entertaining action film that is all.

Reason Hellboy, X-Men, Spider-Man, Iron-man 1 and even to an extent Incredible Hulk because it dealt with personal stories of the characters and villians that had significance. Nolan doesn't read comics nor does he understand them, if he did the movies he made would be a lot better. Instead Nolan is just a really good director making good movies featuring Batman. That's what he does. Same if you let Wes Anderson direct Flash, it's probably going to kick alot of ass but he might not understand the character as well as others.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark View Post
Green Lantern is not a comedian; he is "police of universe".
True, but what sets Hal apart from the rest of the Corps is his humanity. They're all stoic, with barely any sense of humor, and he's a hotshot test pilot, who admits and faces his fears instead of trying to suppress them.
"The cost of a thing is the amount of life which is required to be exchanged for it." ~Henry David Thoreau~
Old 06-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #36
Expert Member

Feb 2010

No I don't we would want a good director for GL 2 and even JLA. Just bring in Martin Campbell again.
Top 15 movies in my collection:
1. Godfather Trilogy 2.Saving Private Ryan 3.The Last of the Mohicans 4.The Departed 5.The Silence of the Lambs 6.Batman Trilogy 7. Silver Linings Playbook 8.The Unforgiven 9.World War Z 10. The Shawshank Redemption 11. District 9 12. Aliens 13. The Town 14. A History of Violence 15. The Descendants
Old 06-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #37
Banned

Jun 2012

Would be silly to reboot. We've seen the origin already, regardless if they didn't do it as good as they could. Just learn from the mistakes and make a better film the 2nd time with the sequel. I don't want this to become a trend.

But, it would be cool if X-MEN 3 could be remade with Bryan Singer and the original cast. That will never happen though.

And as good as Nolan is, I hope someday soon, fanboys realize he isn't ALWAYS the answer for everything.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #38
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie Downer View Post
Would be silly to reboot. We've seen the origin already, regardless if they didn't do it as good as they could. Just learn from the mistakes and make a better film the 2nd time with the sequel. I don't want this to become a trend.

But, it would be cool if X-MEN 3 could be remade with Bryan Singer and the original cast. That will never happen though.

And as good as Nolan is, I hope someday soon, fanboys realize he isn't ALWAYS the answer for everything.
Your right but i think when we say to 'godather' we have to establish what exactly that means and that's to make sure that the directing, script etc is as tight as possible. He doesn't really need to get a say in making the content too much. It's his expertise in crafting a very good story which is needed though for WB and in that sense it would be great to have him on board overlooking the elements. He knows as everybody else does, this needs to be a comic book movie. Green Lantern despite being pretty mediocre was a very faithfull looking world, now when Man of Steel comes out, fanboys and skeptics alike will be properly able to judge exactly how helpful or hindering Nolan's involvements are with propery comic book style movies. All the intial reaction seems to be positive about it, that he's really helping nail the movie aspects.
500GB PS3
Panasonic 50VT20B
PSN ID: NARMAK
Old 06-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #39
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010

If they do reboot hopefully they do the Kyle Rayner Green Lantern.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #40
Special Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgestradasp1 View Post
If they do reboot hopefully they do the Kyle Rayner Green Lantern.
That story line looks awesome! Man, DC was on a roll in the early 90's, eh?

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 06-10-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies