COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.12
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Baltimore Ravens: Road to XLVII (Blu-ray)
$20.08
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Eternal Damn Nation (Blu-ray)
$15.25
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Bones: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (only after you have seen it)
One Star 15 1.98%
Two Stars 40 5.28%
Three Stars 131 17.31%
Four Stars 365 48.22%
Five Stars 206 27.21%
Voters: 757. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #3201
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynn View Post
Was there hair moving during any other scene in the movie? Wind is blowing hair is moving clearly there was a wind machine behind her. As for not having a glove, sealed space suits need to be sealed. Why wear any gloves at all if they are not needed to seal the suit?
Space is chilly, the fact they can survive for 2 minutes in this environment with no suit says it wasn't to bad there.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez
Old 06-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #3202

Jun 2012
Out in the fields around Maltlicky, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post
OK, I've waited for awhile to digest everything and read what others think.

This movie isn't (in its present form) what I would term a classic. If it didn't have the ties to Alien, I think people would be a little bit more forgiving. Alien "was" a classic, but time also helps us forget its flaws. Alien also had a lot less to explain (coming first). I'm also one of those Alien "cult" types, but think some explanations are forthcoming. There will clearly be at least one more movie and, very possibly, another cut which may be much better...this movie has/had a LOT of potential.

Fassbender just shredded in this film (but, remember, he had the best part and "probably" the easiest to play.....I realize there may be some disagreement here, but when you are playing an android/robot, you have much more license than someone playing a human like [most of] us ).

Noomi was ultra cool (I am going to have to see the first "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and the others also).

Theron is just frelling jaw dropping gorgeous, smart, and flat out talented. When she gets a good role, she just kills. Finding a Snow White who was "fairer" than she is and still had the talent to pull off the role was a tall task (and one that the makers of SN&TH failed at).
It is new so how can it be termed a classic? In 1979 Alien was not considered a great film either. In fact it got good to mediocre reviews, the BO gross was only middle of the road even for back then. Alien was not a "classic" in 1979 nor was Ridleys other film Blade Runner in 82. Lets just sit back and see where this film ends up in 15 years.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #3203

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeyeyez View Post
Because, just because

Wouldn't be possible with the technology to build androids and intergalactic spaceships to create a flamethrower/chemical capable of sustaining a temporary burn in a co2 atmosphere either.

How some people can enjoy ANY movie is beyond me, especially in this genre.
They did not know what the co2 levels would be before they got there. Why would they prepare for that?
Old 06-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #3204
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Quote:
I thought the same thing about the hair moving around....it didn't occur to me until just now that they were in a pressurized environment so it's not like their hand would explode. In fact, they didn't even need a perfect seal. As long as most of what they were breathing came from their own supply, they'd be fine. I don't remember anything in the atmosphere which would be intrinsically harmful. I think it was just the percentages which were wrong, but am not sure.
I seem to remember dialogue that said 2 minutes without air and you'r toast.

Who knows though.
Sony KDL52W4100
80gb PS3
Some Yamaha Receiver
Some Polk Audio Speakers and an Infninity Sub
There's also a Wii kickin around the mix!

THERE'S SOMETHING MOVIN AND IT AIN'T US!
Old 06-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #3205

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeyeyez View Post
Space is chilly, the fact they can survive for 2 minutes in this environment with no suit says it wasn't to bad there.
Are you talking about when they were inside the ship?
Old 06-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #3206
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Quote:
They did not know what the co2 levels would be before they got there. Why would they prepare for that?
Don't know fire as a source of sterilization coupled with space exploration and unknown environments, doesn't seem to far of a stretch to think it could have been worked on somewhere between the space station we have now and inter galactic travel, androids etc... Its not like science and technology advances other then just the purpose spelled out and wrapped up in a bow in the movie. I guess they could add some dialogue to explain all these things like how they got that far into space in two years

Quote:
Are you talking about when they were inside the ship?
No i was saying the gloves are environmental protection and not necesary for a sealed suit, think scuba diver.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Old 06-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #3207
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie Downer View Post
The helmet and glove stuff shouldnt ruin a movie that much for you. Besides that, I hope the inevitable directors cut will turn people around on Prometheus, and could fix the "serious plot holes and bad editing".
Ridley says no director's cut on blu-ray.

In speaking with JimmyO of Joblo last weekend in London, Ridley Scott shares his view on whether or not there will be a Prometheus Director’s Cut by saying ”No, I think (Prometheus) is a good length.” Mr. Scott then gives details on what to expect from future disc releases in which he says “now the fashion of actually putting out a couple of discs is here to stay, which will comfort you on all other kinds of conversation about how the movie was made. All you’ll really do is see extended scenes in the menu.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #3208
Power Member

Sep 2008
The £ßÇ

Loved it. Instant Sci-Fi classic!

Well, up until the part where there's a ship in outerspace that clearly makes audible sound.
Never watching this movie again.

Day one preordered!
Old 06-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #3209
Expert Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
What do any of those movies have to do with this film? Every movie has mistakes and may or may not remove immersion. I am sure there are people who go into movies looking for such things. There is a website for it http://www.moviemistakes.com/ With this movie the mistakes are blatant, and happen during key scenes in the movie. I would hope that if Spielberg had filmed a scene with a dinosaur missing skin on its head, he would stop filming and have it fixed. Or if McDowell was missing his eye makeup someone would say something. The are many examples that could be thrown out.
After reading your comments, and the amount of glitches and mistakes found in many films, if you're that distracted, then I can't see how you could be happy or satisfied about anything put on film.

Last edited by groove93; 06-10-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #3210
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray O. Blu View Post

Well, up until the part where there's a ship in outerspace that clearly makes audible sound.

Day one preordered!
thanks for that, just made my day.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Old 06-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #3211
Expert Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpz View Post
I seem to remember dialogue that said 2 minutes without air and you'r toast.

Who knows though.
[Show spoiler]It was the female Doctor who made the comment as they were heading into the atmosphere of the Planet.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #3212
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
[Show spoiler]It was the female Doctor who made the comment as they were heading into the atmosphere of the Planet.
Nice, I wasn't imagining things!
Sony KDL52W4100
80gb PS3
Some Yamaha Receiver

Old 06-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #3213

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
After reading your comments, and the amount of glitches and mistakes found in many films, if you're that distracted, then I can't see how you could be happy or satisfied about anything put on film.
I commented on that on the last reply. Every movie has mistakes and may or may not remove immersion. I don't catch every mistake, this movie just had them at the wrong moments. Sorry that is all have for you.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #3214

Jul 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
They said the Co 2 was at a lethal dose and they would only survive a few minutes without the suits. If there was no issue why would the oxygen levels need to be reported by the onboard computer?
All I'm saying is that you wouldn't necessarily need to have a glove on as long as there was some seal (could've even been a rubber band if they still used them in the late 21st century....). The air clearly wasn't sufficient for our use (unless you like to breathe from an exhaust pipe) so, sure, monitor the air in the suit (if that's what they did...don't remember) and, certainly, do a check of the environment before walking outside....again, don't remember the details.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #3215

Jul 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray O. Blu View Post

Day one preordered!

Sorta like Star Wars Episode 4, huh? Really sucked, right?
Old 06-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #3216
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Quote:
Don't get me started on Stars Wars! Over-rated, just like the Beatles.
Sony KDL52W4100
80gb PS3
Some Yamaha Receiver

Old 06-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #3217

Mar 2008

Quote:
A fun ride when I was 6. Things never look the same when you look back on them.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #3218
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
San Antonio, TX

I haven't wanted to watch a movie at the theaters for a second time in a long while. Even with the avengers. This time in imax though.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #3219
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
York, somewhere else in England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpz View Post
Don't get me started on Stars Wars! Over-rated, just like the Beatles.
HEY, leave The Beatles out of this!!
Remaining Films of 2014 I'll check out: The Guest. Before I Go To Sleep. The Boxtrolls. A Most Wanted Man. The Equaliser. Gone Girl. Fury. Men, Women and Children. Nightcrawler. Interstellar. The Drop. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1. Horrible Bosses 2. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. Dumb and Dumber To. Exodus: Gods and Kings.
Best Films of the Year so far: Boyhood. Calvary. Frank. The Rover. Godzilla. The Raid 2. The LEGO Movie. Under the Skin.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #3220

Jul 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Eyes View Post
It is new so how can it be termed a classic? In 1979 Alien was not considered a great film either. In fact it got good to mediocre reviews, the BO gross was only middle of the road even for back then. Alien was not a "classic" in 1979 nor was Ridleys other film Blade Runner in 82. Lets just sit back and see where this film ends up in 15 years.
Well, if we're all alive, we'll certainly see how the public perceives it. I LOVED Alien when I first saw it and don't know to this day whether it's considered a GREAT film (or classic). Some might say yea and other nay. There are films which "I" consider classics and others which I don't. I can only speak for myself. This thread is, after all, just a conglomeration of opinions. I don't think Prometheus, in it's present form, is a classic, but thought it was a very solid effort and enjoyed it. When I walked out of the theater after seeing "The Fellowship of the Ring", I thought it a classic even though there were mistakes (Nazgul on horse by tree) and omissions and changes (Bombadil, Fog on the Barrow Downs, Arwen helping Frodo instead of Glorfindel). Just my opinions.....
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies