Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (only after you have seen it)
One Star 15 1.99%
Two Stars 40 5.31%
Three Stars 130 17.24%
Four Stars 363 48.14%
Five Stars 206 27.32%
Voters: 754. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #3581
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2005
England

Because he played Weyland in the online teaser "TED 2025", worth a look if you haven't seen it as is the "David" trailer. I keep meaning to visit Weylandindustries.com; I would imagine both videos are there.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #3582
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Why was Guy Pierce even cast since he's old in the whole movie? Is it because a sequel will need him as a young version in a possible sequel? Why not just cast an elder actor? There must be a purpose for casting him with old age makeup if they dont ever show him as young.
The movie could of done without Pierce and Theron. I'm not sure what purpose either character served, which leads me to the comment that
[Show spoiler]the idea that some rich guy funded this projected so he could live forever was weak and it really is getting tired.
Sony KDL52W4100
80gb PS3
Some Yamaha Receiver
Some Polk Audio Speakers and an Infninity Sub
There's also a Wii kickin around the mix!

THERE'S SOMETHING MOVIN AND IT AIN'T US!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #3583
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
Florida Steelbooks:>>>>>> 33 Digibooks: >>>>>> 6

I must say that this so far is my favorite movie of the YEAR. You can call me crazy but i really think so. I really enjoyed this movie, it meet my expectations
- Cloud Atlas (Germany Exclusive Steelbook) (Brand New Sealed) $25.00 Shipped

( The Last Samurai ) There is life in every breath... That is, Bushido
Old 06-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #3584
Community Gaming Moderator

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL

I plan to watch this movie in IMAX this weekend. I barely read much on the reviews, and posts so I can go in there with a clear mind.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #3585
Power Member

Nov 2010
Jackson, MS

Seeing this again Saturday, can't wait!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #3586
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Albany NY

Saw it last night and liked it very much. I didn't feel as much dread as I did during Alien and Aliens but it still was a very good film. It was beautifully shot as well, it looked stunning.
http://www.bemealittle.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5519652...851207/detail/
Samsung LN46B630, Yamaha RX-V765
Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 60's, Polk Monitor 40's
BIC Acoustec PL-200 Sub
Sony BDP-S570
Old 06-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #3587
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
I've gone into outer space to destroy another race.

I'm going to see this, again, tonight! Can't wait!!
"If your apartment is hit by a dolphin, don't go outside to see if the dolphin is okay. That is how the hurricane tricks you into coming outside."

I'm feeling Megatronic. Give me a colonic.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #3588
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

I'm going to see it again in a few more hours. Word.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #3589

Jan 2011
Washington

Been thinking of what to say since seeing on Saturday, all I know is I am definitely in anticipation of a sequel. What really is relevant to me from the whole movie is my curiosity for the usual things:

[Show spoiler]1. The origins of the engineers 2. Their purpose for destroying humanity 3. Someone to find time to look at the black matter under a microscope, and 4. The next phase of evolution for that special friend at the very end we meet.

In particular I didn't see any plot holes, and if there were I tend to think of a way to patch them up anyway through theorizing what the reasons are for things to happen the way they do in movies. I would've given in a 5, but I think once the sequel completes the experience it will gain a 5.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #3590
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Prometheus actually felt like a movie for a change. There are too many movies which just seem processed. Prometheus is like a classic sci-fi action film from the 1970s-1980s when movies seemed like an experience rather than scenes put together by producers.

Anyone else notice that the spacesuits, machinery, and vehicles looked like the Starcom toys from the 1980s? http://www.starcomspaceforce.com/astro_vehicles.html#1

Old 06-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #3591

Jul 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCruz View Post
I plan to watch this movie in IMAX this weekend. I barely read much on the reviews, and posts so I can go in there with a clear mind.
Hopefully it's a real IMAX with a 70 mm print. Those AMC minimaxes (or liemaxes) are a rip. Saw it for $12 (before noon matinee) at the Rave in LA (huge screen) and they were charging $15.50 for matinees at the AMC Century City 15

I was blown away by the visuals.
Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S580 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Karden AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
Old 06-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #3592
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2007
PEI, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkJames View Post
Been thinking of what to say since seeing on Saturday, all I know is I am definitely in anticipation of a sequel. What really is relevant to me from the whole movie is my curiosity for the usual things:

[Show spoiler]1. The origins of the engineers 2. Their purpose for destroying humanity 3. Someone to find time to look at the black matter under a microscope, and 4. The next phase of evolution for that special friend at the very end we meet.

In particular I didn't see any plot holes, and if there were I tend to think of a way to patch them up anyway through theorizing what the reasons are for things to happen the way they do in movies. I would've given in a 5, but I think once the sequel completes the experience it will gain a 5.
I guess it depends on what you mean by a plot hole.

[Show spoiler]I'm not sure a single question was actually answered in the entire film. Wait a minute, I'm wrong, they did answer whether or not the "Engineers" actually created us. In fact they answered it before the question was even posed.
I'm a bit pissed because I was actually interested in the storyline. This wasn't a film, it was the marketing that comes before the film.
http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/binarymellon

PSN: binarymellon
EA Origin Account: binarymelon
Steam Account: binarymelon
Old 06-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #3593

Oct 2009
Charlotte, NC

Question:
[Show spoiler] Can anyone explain to me what the engineers were running from, and what killed them all?
Am i crazy or did we just never find that out? Seems like a pretty basic plot point to leave out, or was i just not paying close enough attention?
Letterboxd: http://letterboxd.com/sometal/

A/V Equipment:
Panasonic TC-P60ST50 Plasma Display
Denon AVR-891 A/V Receiver
Energy Take Classic Speakers
Playstation 3 Slim
Xbox 360
Old 06-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #3594
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymelon View Post
I guess it depends on what you mean by a plot hole.

I'm not sure a single question was actually answered in the entire film.

I'm a bit pissed because I was actually interested in the storyline. This wasn't a film, it was the marketing that comes before the film.
Sucks using your imagination doesn't it.

I have personally loved discussing this movie with the group i went with as well as online and everyone has different takes on different aspects. Just like LOST though i can see why everything not tied up in a bow is a negative for some.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez

Last edited by krazeyeyez; 06-12-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #3595

Dec 2008
SNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsometal View Post
Question:
[Show spoiler] Can anyone explain to me what the engineers were running from, and what killed them all?
Am i crazy or did we just never find that out? Seems like a pretty basic plot point to leave out, or was i just not paying close enough attention?
This was earlier discussed but no one seems to know the answer. But maybe they were chasing something instead of running. They didn't look like they were in panic.
PSN: rspider
Old 06-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #3596
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2007
PEI, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeyeyez View Post
Sucks using your imagination doesn't it.

I have personally loved discussing this movie with the group i went with as well as online and everyone has different takes on different aspects. Just like LOST though i can see why everything not tied up in a bow is a negative for some.
I don't need everything tied up nicely, but at least give us something. It didn't resolve anything. Like I said before this just felt like setup to two other films,
[Show spoiler]an Alien reboot and Prometheus 2 ( or, Prometheus...for real this time)
http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/binarymellon

PSN: binarymellon
EA Origin Account: binarymelon
Steam Account: binarymelon
Old 06-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #3597
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymelon View Post
I don't need everything tied up nicely, but at least give us something. It didn't resolve anything. Like I said before this just felt like setup to two other films,
[Show spoiler]an Alien reboot and Prometheus 2 ( or, Prometheus...for real this time)
Yeah and i get that, personally i think that reaction has more to do with the advertising and hype around this movie then the film itself. Just like watchmen people go in and don't get what they expect. For me i left thinking it was a great experience and a great sci-fi trip that got my imagination going a mile a minute. The "disections" i have read online have only made it better imo, may actually need to go see it again before it leaves the theatres and i find that a refreshing change from the direction of movies lately.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez
Old 06-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #3598
Blu-ray Knight

May 2007
I move around a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsometal View Post
Question:
It was a question they never found the answer to. One of many. I don't mind that though. I do hope there is a sequel to fill in many of the mysteries presented.

I think Prometheus did a good job - it presented us with many interesting findings and theories, but moves along so quickly that we just don't have time to figure them all out.

But that's more like real life. We still don't have many answers for civilizations and what happened to them on earth. Where did the Mayans go? Why do ships and aircraft disappear in the Burmuda Triangle?

To show up on a planet and figure everything out in 24 hours would have been a bit ridiculous. I mean, finding all the stuff they did was pushing suspension of disbelief.

I am still surprised people's biggest problem with the movie is that it didn't solve all of the mysteries presented. In fact, it took a basic question - and by the end of the movie we find it is much more complicated and epic than we imagined.

I truly think, if this movie was not related to Aliens - people would all have high praise for this movie.

I like that this isn't yet another Alien movie where people land, discover eggs and struggle to stay alive for two hours. We have already seen that movie several times.

Ridley tried to create an original story (basing it in the same universe), that is much more epic than the Alien storyline - and I'm surprised it's being met with disdain and shrugs.

I'm much more happy talking about this universe and it's mysteries than talking about "Wasn't it cool when - insert Alien action scene we've seen a hundred times".

(Sorry, iamsometal - this post wasn't aimed at you, just using it as a springboard to talk about this issue that has been bugging me with many criqitues).
PS3, 250 gig slim, 65" Mitsubishi - 1080p, Onkyo 706:
PSN ID - CYMBOL

MY LBP LEVELS - http://lbp.me/u/CYMBOL/levels
Old 06-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #3599
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Zeta II Reticuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeyeyez View Post
The "disections" i have read online have only made it better imo, may actually need to go see it again before it leaves the theatres and i find that a refreshing change from the direction of movies lately.
I have loved all of the theorizing I have been going through since I watched this movie on opening night. I finally stopped thinking about it last night. My brain felt tired from all the work it had been doing. lol

I'm gonna go check it out again in a couple of hours.
I mostly come out at night...mostly.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #3600

Oct 2009
Charlotte, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
This was earlier discussed but no one seems to know the answer. But maybe they were chasing something instead of running. They didn't look like they were in panic.
Interesting thought, but i have to stick with
[Show spoiler]running away from something since they all ended up dead save for the 1 that was in the stasis pod

Glad to know i didn't just miss a major plot development. Thanks! Hopefully some of that info is included in the extended cut or a possible sequel.
Letterboxd: http://letterboxd.com/sometal/

A/V Equipment:
Panasonic TC-P60ST50 Plasma Display
Denon AVR-891 A/V Receiver
Energy Take Classic Speakers
Playstation 3 Slim
Xbox 360
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies