Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Pumpkinhead (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #49641
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Not a confirmation or anything, but a friend of mine that works at Barnes and Noble said it's almost certain that there will be a sale. He should be getting a confirmation sheet any day now.
Most desired Blu-rays: Far too many to name.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #49642
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdrewes View Post
Actually Fincher is not as mainstream as you think. His films have struggled at the box office. Only two of his films have made a substantial profit: Seven & The Social Network. Curious Case didnt make much, Zodiac & GWTDT both are in the red, we all know Fight Club bombed at the box office. Transformers 3 has made more money than all of Fincchers films combined.
Benjamin Button pulled $127 mil domestic and $333 mil total worldwide. Now sure in what world that's considered struggling (even on a $150 mil budget + ads).

And be careful not to confuse "mainstream" with being "commercial." He is definitely in the mainstream. His releases are high profile, with lots of press and mostly big name actors. He's on the short list of directors who's name can potentially "sell" a film in certain markets, after the award success of BB and Social Network.

But just because he's mainstream doesn't make all of his films inherently commercial.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #49643
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Sad news, Victor Spinetti, famous for several roles in the Beatles films, has passed away.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #49644
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Dutchess County New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianGraham View Post
Sad news, Victor Spinetti, famous for several roles in the Beatles films, has passed away.
Sorry to hear that...I'll always rememeber him for his slowburn roles in "A Hard Days Night" and "Help!".
"Watching Fantasia I understood we could never win the war. These people seem to like complications, I thought to myself." - Yasujirô Ozu

http://www.criterion.com/my_criterio...d-k/collection
Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #49645
Special Member

Feb 2009

Quote:
Change of subject, but what are some of the lesser talked about releases people enjoy? People tend to focus on stuff that's really well known, such as seven samurai or the game, yet there are a lot of titles people don't seem to talk about or overlook. Some of mine are:

Senso
Letter Never Sent
The Organiser
Three Outlaw Samurai
Oh man, too many.

Port of Shadows
Gate of Flesh
Forbidden Games
Jigoku
La Ronde
Still Walking
Secret Sunshine
The Phantom of Liberty
Coup de Torchon
Loves of A Blonde

and probably my favorite CC title "When A Woman Ascends The Stairs"
Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #49646
Blu-ray Count

May 2011
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
Benjamin Button pulled $127 mil domestic and $333 mil total worldwide. Now sure in what world that's considered struggling (even on a $150 mil budget + ads).

And be careful not to confuse "mainstream" with being "commercial." He is definitely in the mainstream. His releases are high profile, with lots of press and mostly big name actors. He's on the short list of directors who's name can potentially "sell" a film in certain markets, after the award success of BB and Social Network.

But just because he's mainstream doesn't make all of his films inherently commercial.
I assume Curious Case didn't make much of a profit because Dragon Tattoo was made for 90 million and made 232 million Ww and still was I the red.

Does anyone know how much they lost on Zodiac when you factor in advertising.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #49647
Blu-ray Count

May 2011
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
Too many of my "favorites" are not on Blu-ray so I would not expect people to talk about them very much

In The Mood For Love
Picnic At Hanging Rock
Les Vancances De Monsieur Hulot
You can't go wrong with Wong Kar Wai, Peter Weir and Tati. Criterions release of Playtime is a treasure.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #49648

Sep 2010

Quote:
Change of subject, but what are some of the lesser talked about releases people enjoy? People tend to focus on stuff that's really well known, such as seven samurai or the game, yet there are a lot of titles people don't seem to talk about or overlook. Some of mine are:

Senso
Letter Never Sent
The Organiser
Three Outlaw Samurai
3 Women
Still Walking
Sweet Smell of Success
Vivre sa vie
Walkabout
Yi yi

Only on DVD:
The Last Wave
Z
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
Le deuxième souffle
Vampyr
Bad Timing
Straw Dogs
Ratcatcher
The Shop on Main Street
Blood for Dracula
Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #49649
Expert Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRyder View Post
I'm a little more than halfway done with my journey through Godard's work. I was curious as to know what other directors people would recommend on this forum?

I was thinking: Scorsese, Fassbender, Welles, Bunuel, Lynch, Coens, PT/W Anderson

Any other thoughts? I was also thinking of some South American directors.

Thanks!
Some of those (Scorsese, Welles, Bunuel, Lynch, the Coens and both Andersons) are among my favorites as well.

Others I would recommend include (titles that are underlined have a BD and/or DVD release from Criterion)...
Vittorio De Sica (esp. Bicycle Theives and Umberto D.)
Stanley Kubrick (esp. Paths of Glory; Spartacus; Dr Strangelove; 2001: A Space Odyssey; A Clockwork Orange; Barry Lyndon; The Shining; and Full Metal Jacket)
Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger (esp. The Red Shoes)
David Cronenberg (esp. Videodrome; The Fly; Crash (1996); A History of Violence; and Eastern Promises)
David Fincher (esp. Fight Club; Se7en; The Game; Zodiac; and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011))
Peter Weir (esp. The Last Wave; The Truman Show; Master and Commander; and The Way Back)
Nicholas Roeg (esp. Walkabout and The Man Who Fell to Earth)
Akira Kurosawa (esp. Stray Dog; Ikiru; Seven Samurai; Rashomon; Kagemusha; Ran; and Dreams)
Roman Polanski (esp. Knife in the Water; Repulsion; Rosemary's Baby; Chinatown; The Tenant; Tess; The Pianist; The Ghost Writer; and Carnage)
Bernardo Bertolucci (esp. Before the Revolution; Last Tango in Paris; Luna; The Last Emperor; The Sheltering Sky; and The Dreamers)
Sidney Lumet (esp. 12 Angry Men; The Pawnbroker; Fail-Safe; Serpico; Dog Day Afternoon; Network; Prince of the City; The Verdict; Daniel; Running on Empty; Family Business; Q & A; Night Falls on Manhattan; Find Me Guilty; and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead)
Masaki Kobayashi (esp. The Human Condition trilogy and Harakiri)
Nagisa Ôshima (esp. Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence)
Seijun Suzuki (esp. Tokyo Drifter and Branded to Kill)
Jean Cocteau (esp. Beauty and the Beast (1946) and Orpheus (1950))
John Ford (esp. Stagecoach; The Grapes of Wrath; How Green Was My Valley; The Searchers; and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance)
Robert Altman (esp. McCabe & Mrs. Miller; Thieves Like Us; Nashville; 3 Women; The Player; Short Cuts and Gosford Park)
Nicholas Ray (esp. Rebel without a Cause and Bigger than Life)
Steven Soderbergh (esp. Sex, Lies and Videotape, Erin Brokovich; Ocean's Eleven (2001); Che; The Informant!; and Contagion)
Hal Ashby (esp. The Landlord; Harold and Maude; Shampoo; Bound for Glory; Coming Home; and Being There)

...just for starters.

Enjoy.

Last edited by BluPix; 06-19-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #49650
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeza View Post
Solaris
The lack of discussion on this one boggles my mind too. I have always seen it, and this is likely inaccurate, as the Soviet Union's response to 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #49651
Expert Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaUnderTheCurve View Post
The lack of discussion on this one boggles my mind too. I have always seen it, and this is likely inaccurate, as the Soviet Union's response to 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Actually, I saw it this weekend and posted my thoughts a few pages back . Here are them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcritic View Post
Just finished Solaris for the first time and I LOVED it . This is one of those films were I felt speechless at the end, but not because of the obvious reasons. The film left me that way because of how incredibly beautiful and unexplicable it was. I knew before-hand that the film was slow but I really have to disagree here with those who call it slow simply because it takes some time. The whole 3 hours passed me by FAST! It was never boring, dull or uneventful like some people describe it. Really, more than a simple film it is poetry to the senses. One of my favorite CC titles now, we are close to the next sale and so I really recommend everyone to give it a try if not a blind buy.

Also, and this is really as a side-note. The menu is by far the best one I have seen from Criterion. In a word: Beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcritic View Post
Something I forgot to mention (Probably because I wrote that minutes after finishing) is how incredible the film is, even when you are not seeing it. I am still thinking about it right now and something I like is just how human and sad the whole story feels. There are so many important scenes but there is one I enjoyed the most. Spoiler tags for those who have not seen the film yet :
[Show spoiler]The Snaut's party scene was heartbreaking for me, and there is a very specific moment of pure power, when Hari starts crying and tells Sartorius and Snaut how Kris was the most human of them. Then she starts explaining he behaves humanly under inhuman circumstances and how they act towards her in such a mechanical and scientific way. This scene was sad in a way few scenes I have seen are. It was the most human moment in the film.
Also, I thought Bach's Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ worked amazingly here. The piece is beautiful and complements the visuals in an almost haunting way.
Most Wanted BD Upgrades: Oshima's Youth Trilogy (Oshima, 1960s) - Four Months, Three Weeks and Two Days (Mungiu, 2007) - The Cranes are Flying (Kalatozov, 1957) - Los Olvidados (Bunuel, 1950) - Stalker (Tarkovsky, 1979) -Histoire(s) du Cinema (Godard, 1988) - October (Eisenstein, 1928) - Taste of Cherry (Kiarostami, 1997) - Hable con Ella (Almodovar, 2002) - The Ploretariat Trilogy (Kaurismaki, 1986-1990) - Viridiana (Bunuel, 1961) - Vamonos con Pancho Villa! (de Fuentes, 1936).
Old 06-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #49652
Expert Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by stobbart View Post
... and probably my favorite CC title When A Woman Ascends The Stairs
I have been wanting this title for quite some time now . Sadly, I have never seen Naruse (Completely unavailable in my country) but this particular release caught my attention a few months ago. Don't know if it is going to get an upgrade but thanks a lot for remainding me about it . There are so many titles, I can hardly keep the pace.
Most Wanted BD Upgrades: Oshima's Youth Trilogy (Oshima, 1960s) - Four Months, Three Weeks and Two Days (Mungiu, 2007) - The Cranes are Flying (Kalatozov, 1957) - Los Olvidados (Bunuel, 1950) - Stalker (Tarkovsky, 1979) -Histoire(s) du Cinema (Godard, 1988) - October (Eisenstein, 1928) - Taste of Cherry (Kiarostami, 1997) - Hable con Ella (Almodovar, 2002) - The Ploretariat Trilogy (Kaurismaki, 1986-1990) - Viridiana (Bunuel, 1961) - Vamonos con Pancho Villa! (de Fuentes, 1936).
Old 06-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #49653
Blu-ray Count

May 2011
Texas

Solaris definitely ranks among the Greatest Science Fiction Films.
Probably my favorite CC BD of last year
Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #49654
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
I assume Curious Case didn't make much of a profit because Dragon Tattoo was made for 90 million and made 232 million Ww and still was I the red.

Does anyone know how much they lost on Zodiac when you factor in advertising.
Not entirely correct... MGM booked a loss on the film, but it was a co-investment. I haven't seen a report by Sony that they booked a loss... could be that MGM's profits didn't kick in like Sony's did, since they were only in for 20%. Typically, the biggest investor receives profits first. So Just because MGM - as a minor investor - reported a "modest" loss doesn't mean the film didn't earn a profit.

That's IF if actually lost money... it was MGM's first investment after almost going bankrupt, so its possible they reported a "loss" to help balance their books.

Last edited by retablo; 06-19-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #49655
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaUnderTheCurve View Post
That's a good point t does have a 2001 A Space Odyssey feel to it
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #49656
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
You can't go wrong with Wong Kar Wai, Peter Weir and Tati. Criterions release of Playtime is a treasure.
Tati is very often forgotten but I think he fall's into a strange category, you might almost say he is mainstream and yet his movie fall into "l'etrange et le bizzare" that leave most people not sure what to make of him
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
Old 06-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #49657
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stobbart View Post
Oh man, too many.

Port of Shadows
Gate of Flesh
Forbidden Games
Jigoku
La Ronde
Still Walking
Secret Sunshine
The Phantom of Liberty
Coup de Torchon
Loves of A Blonde

and probably my favorite CC title "When A Woman Ascends The Stairs"
Les Fantomes De La Liberte, such a strange and wonderful movie. Saw it in HD last month, I do hope this mean's a Blu-ray release either from Criterion or someone in Europe
Old 06-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #49658
Blu-ray Count

May 2011
Texas

Quote:
That's a good point t does have a 2001 A Space Odyssey feel to it
From what I remember, Solaris was his response to 2001. you can see Solaris is built on the more human ideas not in 2001.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #49659
Blu-ray Count

May 2011
Texas

Quote:
Tati is very often forgotten but I think he fall's into a strange category, you might almost say he is mainstream and yet his movie fall into "l'etrange et le bizzare" that leave most people not sure what to make of him
They can be a bit bizzare, but always with satirical context (consumersism, technology..) I hope Mon Oncle gets the next Tati upgrade.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #49660
Expert Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
From what I remember, Solaris was his response to 2001. you can see Solaris is built on the more human ideas not in 2001.
I felt that way. The film focuses a lot more on emotions. Tarkovsky actually said how 2001: A Space Odyssey felt unexpressive and emotionless to him.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors