Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08

Odds Against Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ghost World (Blu-ray)
$18.29

The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Rick and Morty: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Purge: Election Year (Blu-ray)
$5.99

The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The LEGO Ninjago Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Jurassic Park (Blu-ray)
$7.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 06-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #49561
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
UK
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianGraham View Post
Change of subject, but what are some of the lesser talked about releases people enjoy? People tend to focus on stuff that's really well known, such as seven samurai or the game, yet there are a lot of titles people don't seem to talk about or overlook. Some of mine are:

Senso
Letter Never Sent
The Organiser
Three Outlaw Samurai
My Life As A Dog
The Times of Harvey Milk
Bigger Than Life
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Close-Up
Naked
La Jetée
Zazie dans le Metro
Monsoon Wedding
The Secret of the Grain

Walkabout?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #49562
Expert Member

Jan 2011
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1107 View Post
So if I love Anderson's films, i'm a hipster? What if I also love the more obscure movies that the 'nerds' love? Where do I sit then?
Nah, you are overthinking it: Nerds love things, Hipsters hate what is loved.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #49563
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadedpain4 View Post
Not that I'm sure what the definition of "Mainstream" is, but i would think that Danny Boyle is more mainstream than Wes Anderson. 28 Days Later pulled in $82 million at the box office, The Beach $154 Million, and Slumdog Millionaire pulled in $377 million.

All of those out-grossed Anderson's best, Tenenbaums, which i think grossed like $71 million.

Boyle was also tabbed to be the artistic director for the upcoming Olympics Opening Ceremonies. That seems pretty mainstream.

I enjoy all 4 of them though, although i wouldn't consider myself a "fanboy" of any of them.
On this forum, Anderson has the perception of being more popular and mainstreamy due to the larger fan base. I know Boyle is obviously more successful, but again, this forum seems to indicate that Anderson seems more popular.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #49564
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcritic View Post
- Luis Buñuel is probably my favorite filmmaker and one of the most complete and influential directors out there.

- Dusan Makavejev is an incredible director, rarely sound, but you definitely have to try some of his films.

Boyle has less fanboys around him and so maybe people isn't as tired of hearing from him. I personally like Boyle, sure, his films aren't exactly something I will put in a "favorite" list but all of them (Or at least all of those I have seen) are colorful, entertaining and with some really great camera work. Don't know, I find his style a lot more enjoyable than say a Fincher or a Nolan but that's my opinion .
This. That's why I say Anderson seems more mainstream than Boyle because more people on this forum seem to rally arou d him, more so than Boyle.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #49565
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock, stone View Post
Nah, you are overthinking it: Nerds love things, Hipsters hate what is loved.
Like I said, those people who complain about "hipsters" polluting the collection seem far more hipsterish than the supposed hipsters.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #49566
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2009
USA

White Material
Old 06-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #49567
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1107 View Post
So if I love Anderson's films, i'm a hipster? What if I also love the more obscure movies that the 'nerds' love? Where do I sit then?
Incorrect. I'm a hipster and I absolutely loathe Wes Anderson films.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #49568
Expert Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
yeah...

39 Steps @ $26.59 (becomes "Free" )
The Gold Rush @ $27.99
Shallow Grave @ $27.99

You've gotta get the "better priced" titles, because once you throw a $39.99 title into the mix, you really negate the savings vs. Amazon, Criterion directly, etc.
Also, it doesn't really make sense to use the Buy 2 Get the 3rd Free sale to buy the bigger, more expensive box sets, like David Lean Directs Noel Coward ($99.99), Three Colors ($79.99), America Lost and Found ($124.99) or The Samurai Trilogy (on preorder at a 14% discount for $59.84 with a release date that occurs before the end of this sale). You wouldn't save as much money as you would by just waiting for Amazon or another outlet to mark down its price substantially (even if only temporarily). Under this deal I wouldn't save much for the Eclipse Series sets I'd been eyeing, either.

I just bought—from Amazon—the David Lean Directs Noel Coward box for $57.69. That's $52.99 plus sales tax. I'd originally planned to wait for B&N's 50% off sale, but since that's not truly a sure bet (until it actually happens ) and the Amazon price was almost as low, I decided to just act. (B&N, like Amazon, also charges me sales tax.)

In the next few days I may buy a couple more of the lower-priced titles from Amazon. Maybe I'll even buy three of the lowest priced titles at B&N.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #49569
Expert Member

Jan 2011
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekak229 View Post
Incorrect. I'm a hipster and I absolutely loathe Wes Anderson films.
So far the math checks out.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #49570
Expert Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcritic View Post
It takes around two months for each order to arrive .
I wonder why it takes so long from the US to Mexico. I've ordered from Amazon UK for shipping to the US and that usually takes around a week or so.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #49571
Expert Member

Sep 2010
Canada

Quote:
Change of subject, but what are some of the lesser talked about releases people enjoy? People tend to focus on stuff that's really well known, such as seven samurai or the game, yet there are a lot of titles people don't seem to talk about or overlook. Some of mine are:

Senso
Letter Never Sent
The Organiser
Three Outlaw Samurai
Bigger Than Life
Antichrist
Mystery Train
Still Walking
Old 06-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #49572
Expert Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
I got my criterions! 400 Blows came in the old Skool case, I'm not complaining as it doesn't seem to slip out like others said. What's with the paper insert stuck on the back of Darjeeling though? It's kinda weird, and I'm wondering if it's a normal thing with this release.
That's normal for The Darjeeling Limited, Bohemian. It's a little different from the others in the Collection. Just carefully peel it off to reveal the graphics underneath. It's similar to the slips often used on the backs of blu-ray book and steelbook packaging. I think Criterion used that slip just to make it easier for consumers to read the promotional details on the back.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #49573
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2009
USA

So the sale is *allegedly* 7-10 to 8-1.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #49574
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:

Senso
Letter Never Sent
The Organiser
Three Outlaw Samurai
Too many of my "favorites" are not on Blu-ray so I would not expect people to talk about them very much

In The Mood For Love
Picnic At Hanging Rock
Les Vancances De Monsieur Hulot
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 06-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #49575
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellOilJunior View Post
So the sale is *allegedly* 7-10 to 8-1.
Suppose to yes, still no confirmation that a sale there will be
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #49576
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010
Austin

Not a confirmation or anything, but a friend of mine that works at Barnes and Noble said it's almost certain that there will be a sale. He should be getting a confirmation sheet any day now.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #49577
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdrewes View Post
Actually Fincher is not as mainstream as you think. His films have struggled at the box office. Only two of his films have made a substantial profit: Seven & The Social Network. Curious Case didnt make much, Zodiac & GWTDT both are in the red, we all know Fight Club bombed at the box office. Transformers 3 has made more money than all of Fincchers films combined.
Benjamin Button pulled $127 mil domestic and $333 mil total worldwide. Now sure in what world that's considered struggling (even on a $150 mil budget + ads).

And be careful not to confuse "mainstream" with being "commercial." He is definitely in the mainstream. His releases are high profile, with lots of press and mostly big name actors. He's on the short list of directors who's name can potentially "sell" a film in certain markets, after the award success of BB and Social Network.

But just because he's mainstream doesn't make all of his films inherently commercial.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #49578
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Sad news, Victor Spinetti, famous for several roles in the Beatles films, has passed away.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #49579
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Dutchess County New York

Quote:
Sad news, Victor Spinetti, famous for several roles in the Beatles films, has passed away.
Sorry to hear that...I'll always rememeber him for his slowburn roles in "A Hard Days Night" and "Help!".
"Watching Fantasia I understood we could never win the war. These people seem to like complications, I thought to myself." - Yasujirô Ozu

http://www.criterion.com/my_criterio...d-k/collection
Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #49580
Special Member

Feb 2009

Quote:

Senso
Letter Never Sent
The Organiser
Three Outlaw Samurai
Oh man, too many.

Port of Shadows
Gate of Flesh
Forbidden Games
Jigoku
La Ronde
Still Walking
Secret Sunshine
The Phantom of Liberty
Coup de Torchon
Loves of A Blonde

and probably my favorite CC title "When A Woman Ascends The Stairs"
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors