Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: The Crimson Wing: Mystery of t… $10.99 (98% sold out)
Soon: Oceans ()
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Liar Liar (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Fairy Tail: Part 7 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Planet Earth (Blu-ray)
$45.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
Power Member

Mar 2010
USA
Default N E W S I E S on Blu-ray June 19th

You can pre-order this now.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Newsies-Blu-ray/40454/

Well, since the last 7 weeks of forum data was lost, I noticed THIS thread was lost also, so it's time to make another OFFICIAL thread about Walt Disney's NEWSIES.

I SO can't wait for this release.

Product Details
Actors: Luke Edwards, Christian Bale, Max Casella, David Moscow, Gabriel Damon
Format: Closed-captioned, Dubbed, Subtitled, Widescreen
Language: English
Subtitles: French, Spanish
Region: Region A/1 (Read more about DVD/Blu-ray formats.)
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Number of discs: 1
Rated: PG (Parental Guidance Suggested)
Studio: Walt Disney Video
DVD Release Date: June 19, 2012
Run Time: 121 minutes

Last edited by OneWayFilms; 06-18-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:00 AM   #2

May 2009

I'm going to see the Broadway show on Friday. Can't wait for this release!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
Special Member

Jul 2011
Huntington Beach

1 Week!! Anyone know if it will come with a slip? Probably not but i hope it does its a classic.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #4

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackisthewalrus View Post
I'm going to see the Broadway show on Friday. Can't wait for this release!
It's awesome! I already have tickets to see it again in July.

Already have mine pre-ordered. Can't wait!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
Power Member

Mar 2010
USA

2 more days........

(UGH)

The wait is killing me!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Power Member

Mar 2010
USA

Waiting fro wife and daughter to get home from Walmart to see if they got this for me.

Did anyone else get it?

Any comments?

Reviews?

Why so quiet?

Oh, I know....your all still enjoying it, right? LOL.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #7

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayFilms View Post
Waiting fro wife and daughter to get home from Walmart to see if they got this for me.

Did anyone else get it?

Any comments?

Reviews?

Why so quiet?

Oh, I know....your all still enjoying it, right? LOL.
Won't get to this 'til tonight.

Best Buy had this in the TV section, of all places. Not in the New Releases, Disney, or Theatrical Blu-ray sections. Hunted the store for a good 15 minutes and CSR's had no clue.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #8

Apr 2012

Are there any extras? I haven't heard anything about this release, which usually isn't a great sign. If it's just an upgrade to PQ and AQ, I'll probably pass for now and get it for a few bucks down the line.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #9

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaimbo View Post
Are there any extras? I haven't heard anything about this release, which usually isn't a great sign. If it's just an upgrade to PQ and AQ, I'll probably pass for now and get it for a few bucks down the line.
I believe they are the same extras from the DVD:

-Audio commentary
-Newsies, Newsies, See All About It! (I can't remember what that was)
-Newsies, the Inside Story
-The Strike! The true story
-Storyboard-to-scene comparison with audio commentary
-Sing-Along Feature (woohoo )

I'm surprised they didn't add any features about the new stage version. The show's twitter mentioned that the blu-ray came out today. When I saw the show in April I heard a bunch of people asking if it was out on DVD or blu-ray, but I don't remember seeing the DVD at the souvenir stand.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

I just finished watching the Blu. I've liked this movie for years now. From Alan Menken (composer of The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Little Shop of Horrors) and lyricist Jack Feldman, comes another Disney release that sounded like a Broadway musical before it became one. Inspired by a real newsboy strike, the story tells of a rebellious leader of the group named Jack Kelly (Christian Bale) becoming friends with a newcomer and his young brother, and striking when World publisher Joseph Pulitzer (Robert Duvall) chooses to make more money charging the newsboys more for each copy instead of raising the price of the newspaper.

The musical numbers are exhilirating, the best part of the film. The young cast sings and dances well. Bale is adequate in the dramatic part of his role, but fails in the singing and dancing department. Ann-Margret makes a nice appearance in the film.

Watching it again, it is amazing how relevant it is in our current election year, as those financial geniuses with the money try to get richer at the expense of the poor.

The video is good, but it looks merely to be an upgrade of the DVD print. This has not been remastered. A double image problem of Bill Pullman occurs in a restaurant scene, duplicating the DVD. The film was shot with a lot of muted colors, most especially brown. Fleshtones come off a bit pinkish.

Audio is improved over the DVD release.

The extras are pulled over from the DVD release and are interesting, though in standard definition. The commentary by Kenny Ortega and other behind-the scenes personnel is excellent (this can be found under the Audio options). (The sing-along feature is located under the Subtitles options.)

Overall, an improvement over the DVD release, but a major disappointment that Disney didn't do any work on this release, considering it is the 20th anniversary for the film and the Broadway musical made from it is a big hit.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #11

Nov 2009
Boston, MA
Send a message via AIM to BDrischBDemented

So it's worth getting still? I have the DVD and normally I'd be all about buying this on Blu-ray but I don't want another "The Color of Money" situation.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDrischBDemented View Post
So it's worth getting still? I have the DVD and normally I'd be all about buying this on Blu-ray but I don't want another "The Color of Money" situation.
At about $12, the picture and sound are better (the sharpness of the Blu is evident compared to the DVD; pinstripes can be seen on a shirt on Blu and are just a mashed together grey on DVD). I would say, yes...maybe.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
NYC

Batman singing and dancing I had no idea
Old 06-20-2012, 04:51 AM   #14

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskies View Post
Watching it again, it is amazing how relevant it is in our current election year, as those financial geniuses with the money try to get richer at the expense of the poor.
The new stage version really plays on that aspect of the story - not in overly 'political' way, but really expands on the idea that even if you're a poor kid with nothing, you have rights, and you can fight for them.

This is the new version of Seize the Day, the new opening for David is amazing:

And Once and For All, which almost seems like a throwaway song towards the end of the film, becomes an anthem in the show. When all the kids line up holding up their Newsies Banners singing the last part of this, it's one of the best moments of the show.

Plus they have the new character, Katherine, who replaces the Bill Pullman character from the film (and is ultimately the new love interest for Jack). She's a reporter who takes on the Newsies Strike because she wants to get out of just reporting on the flower shows and vaudvilles and find her own place as well.

Her new song, Watch What Happens, is great, especially the last part:

"Just look around at the world we're inheriting, and think of the one we'll create,
Their mistake is they got old, that is not a mistake we'll be making,
No sir, we'll stay young forever!
Give those kids and me the brand new century, and watch what happens.
It's David and Goliath, do or die, the fight is on,
And I can't watch what what happens.
But all I know is nothing happens if you just give in
It can't be any worse than how it's been
And it just so happens that we just might win
So whatever happens...let's begin!"

Old 06-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #15

May 2008

My quick overview of PQ and AQ (all IMHO)

Overall PQ 3/5. Disney logos at beginning and end look soft. Once the movie itself started it had that late 80's early 90's look: somewhat soft. Black levels seemed a little too grey in the darker scenes, but nothing distracting. Colors were muted, but I'm sure the look is intentional. Close up detail is very good. A few scenes had quite a bit of grain. No DNR or EE applied as far as I could see. Overall the transfer was pleasing, much the like Rocketeer BD.

Overall AQ 2.5/5. Music and voices sounded clean. The musical numbers seemed to lack any sort of low end. I thought my subwoofer was turned off. Was hoping a little more in the bass department for the musical numbers. The orchestral score sounded nice and full and that was the only times my subwoofer kicked in. Not much activity in the rear speakers. Very average.

I'm glad to have this on Blu-ray, and I think most will be pleased.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #16
Power Member

Mar 2010
USA

I FINALLY got my copy and I must ask....is anyone having trouble with this disk? Mine wouldn't play and I kept trying, finally it would play, but not allow me to fast forweard, then if would freeze up and stop.

My Bluray player is only 2 weeks old and is a Samsung. I tried Sister Act right behind Newsies and it did the same thing. Both are brand new Disney releases, adn none of my other blurays are doing this.

Anyone else?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Quote:
I FINALLY got my copy and I must ask....is anyone having trouble with this disk? Mine wouldn't play and I kept trying, finally it would play, but not allow me to fast forweard, then if would freeze up and stop.

My Bluray player is only 2 weeks old and is a Samsung. I tried Sister Act right behind Newsies and it did the same thing. Both are brand new Disney releases, adn none of my other blurays are doing this.

Anyone else?
You might need a firmware update.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:03 AM   #18

Sep 2010
Phoenix

Quote:

Anyone else?
Have a Samsung, (D5500) and also had some issues. Wouldn't load at first, but loaded up after turning the player on and off. But the picture would kind of stutter every so often during the movie (I should have made note what parts specifically). Pretty sure I have the most recent firmware, but I'll double check. Though I did watch Evita yesterday and that one had no problems with playback.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #19
Blu-ray reviewer

May 2011
New York City
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDrischBDemented View Post
I wrote the site review for The Color of Money and will shortly be writing one for Newsies. Rest assured: Newsies won't disappoint.
'Twas caviar to the general. - Hamlet, Act II, scene ii
Old 06-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #20

Jan 2010

Quote:

Anyone else?
Mine wouldn't load at first either, but I thought it might have been a glitch in the player. I turned it off and on, and when I tried it the second time everything worked fine.

Haven't tried Evita or Sister Act yet, but I'll check those soon.

The blu-ray looks nice. Much better quality than the DVD.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America