COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Transformers: Dark of the Moon 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.05
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Queen Margot (Blu-ray)
$23.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 06-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #1161
Special Member

Mar 2009
Hialeah, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshadow View Post
Its all relative.

$70 M for a theatrical movie is certainly enough to give it good home video performance and it was advertised as much as a $200 M movie that it was expected to be.

The bad PR was mostly that it did not meet expectations to be mega hit and its budget, but that does not matter to consumers.

John Carter and Act of Valor are also perfect genre Blu-ray releases as well.
True

Quote:
The-Numbers DVD and Blu-ray Sales Estimates Week Ending 06/10/12

(Blu-ray narrative not available yet.)

Note: this report from TN also includes one more sales day (Sunday) than the HMM revenue estimate for the week as TN and NV data is Mon-Sun while the HMM revenue estimates is Sun-Sat and thus accounts for one less sales day of new releases.

Also as a general rule the unit sales numbers from The-Numbers are considered by many to be substantially more accurate than the revenue numbers for new releases and the cumulative numbers are more accurate than the week to week estimates. Part of that is the difficulty of estimating the sales numbers from Walmart and especially the revenues generated from that retailer in the short term. There is often a conflict on a week with high volume releases that sell a lot of units at Walmart between the Home Media Magazine revenue estimates and the The-Numbers revenue estimates for high volume weeks. The Home Media Magazine revenue estimates are considered by many including me to be more reliable.

Pretty impressive sales for the top 4 titles. Really looking forward to the revenue data from HMM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #1162
Power Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop_99 View Post
True

Pretty impressive sales for the top 4 titles. Really looking forward to the revenue data from HMM.
Me too.

Still don't have it yet. Hopefully we will get it tonight.
"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

follow me on Twitter
Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 AM   #1163
Power Member

Sep 2007

HMM Nielsen Videoscan First Alert Sales Report Week Ending 06/17/12

Blu-ray Unit Marketshare of top 5 titles:

54% Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
56% Act of Valor
49% Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
47% Safe House
49% John Carter

Quote:
It’s Elementary: 'Sherlock' Sequel Debuts at No. 1

20 Jun, 2012
By: Thomas K. Arnold

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Call it the week of sequel power. Warner Home Video’s newly released Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, a sequel to 2009’s Sherlock Holmes, shot to the top of both national home video sales charts its first week in stores.

Meanwhile, Sony Pictures’ Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, a belated sequel to 2007’s Ghost Rider, debuted at No. 1 on Home Media Magazine’s weekly rental chart.

Other than that, the two films really don’t have much in common. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, released theatrically two years after the original, features both main stars — Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law — and was a big success on the big screen.

The second "Ghost Rider" film? Not so much. While A Game of Shadows grossed $187.6 million, just a little less than the original’s $209 million, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance earned just $51.8 million, less than half the original’s $115.8 million. What’s more, five years passed between installments, which in the fickle world of Hollywood, in the words of one observer, “might as well be a lifetime.”

Accordingly, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance didn’t fare nearly as well on the sales charts, bowing at a distant No. 3 on the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert chart, which tracks overall disc sales. The film was outsold by A Game of Shadows by a nearly 5-to-1 ratio.

On Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart, the second Ghost Rider film also debuted at No. 3 — but with total unit sales of just 19.5% of the Sherlock Holmes sequel.

As for its performance on the rental chart, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance didn’t really have much competition. A Game of Shadows is distributed by Warner, which delays distribution to some rental outlets.

On both sales charts, 20th Century Fox’s Act of Valor held steady at No. 2, with Universal Studios’ Safe House slipping down a notch to No. 4 and Walt Disney Studios’ John Carter, No. 1 the previous week, falling to No. 5.

Related Links :

Top 20 Sellers for the Week Ended 06/17/12

Top 20 Rentals for the Week Ended 06/17/12

Top 20 Selling Blu-ray Discs for the Week Ended 06/17/12

Top 20 Blu-ray Market Share for the Week Ended 06/17/12

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/res...uts-no-1-27574

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

follow me on Twitter

Last edited by blueshadow | Kosty; 06-21-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #1164
Power Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
True

Got word from HMM tonight that said that weeks data will be a bit delayed from their source.

I'll post it up as soon as I can.

follow me on Twitter
Old 06-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #1165
Power Member

Sep 2007

The last two weeks the Blu-ray Unit Marketshare of the Top 20 Sellers has been 47.57% and 48.57%.

That is, of all the units sold of all of the bestselling 20 titles just under half of the units moved were Blu-ray skus.

Since also Blu-ray skus sell for more than DVD versions by around 25% the Blu-ray revenue share for those mostly new releases was significantly higher than that.

follow me on Twitter
Old 06-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #1166
Power Member

Sep 2007

The narrative is now up for the WE 6/10/12 The-Numbers estimates.

follow me on Twitter
Old 06-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #1167
Power Member

Sep 2007

HMM Nielsen Videoscan First Alert Sales Report Week Ending 06/17/12

follow me on Twitter
Old 06-22-2012, 05:04 AM   #1168
Special Member

Mar 2009
Hialeah, Fl

Quote:
Got word from HMM tonight that said that weeks data will be a bit delayed from their source.

I'll post it up as soon as I can.
Thanks for the heads up.

Very good week. looking forward to this weeks data as well
Old 06-23-2012, 02:32 AM   #1169
Power Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.

Very good week. looking forward to this weeks data as well
Both weeks should be around the largest of the year, order of magnitude of what the Twilight Saga title did earlier in the year because of the genres being much higher in Blu-ray marketshare.

follow me on Twitter
Old 06-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #1170
Power Member

Sep 2007

Note:

Did a bit of catchup on the thread today.

All the January and February weeks that did not have Top 20 Sellers, Blu-ray Top 20, Top 20 Sellers Marketshare and Blu-ray Title Share charts now have them them inserted in the proper sequence in the thread.

In viewing some weeks, one may still need to click on the links to see the text based charts with the detailed report data as those have not been caught up yet for all of the weeks. Its on my to do list.

Weeks prior to 02/26/12 do not have graphs for 3D sales.

The weeks in February that had Blu-ray Top 20 charts without the new releases color coded in red have also been updated.

Every week in 2012 now has graphs that visually present the Nielsen Videoscan first alert data in a standardized manner.

follow me on Twitter
Old 06-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #1171
Power Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
Blu-ray Sales: Shadows Brighten Blu-ray

It was a nearly record-breaking week on the Blu-ray sales chart this week, which is very strange for this time of year.

Granted, we had the last of the winter blockbusters, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, leading the new releases, but it was still better than expected. That film sold 1.77 million units generating $40.71 million for a for an opening week Blu-ray share of 54%.

Act of Valor remained in second place with 423,000 units / $9.95 million for the week giving it totals of 1.34 million units / $28.85 million after two.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance landed in third place with 344,000 units / $6.87 million for an opening week Blu-ray share of 49%. This is a little weaker than expected, given its visual nature.

Safe House fell to fourth place with 231,000 units / $5.54 million for the week giving it totals of 1.05 million units / $21.90 million after two.

Meanwhile, John Carter was right behind with 221,000 units / $5.08 million over the week for a total of 1.18 million / $24.22 million, also after two.

Superman vs. The Elite took eighth place with 88,000 units / $1.58 million. Its opening week Blu-ray share was 68%, which is absolutely amazing. Granted, it's aimed at the perfect demographic for Blu-ray, but this is still a great start.

On the other hand, Tyler Perry's Good Deeds landed in ninth place with 86,000 units / $1.72 million. Its opening week Blu-ray share was just 21%, but that's common for Tyler Perry films.

The final new release to chart was Entourage: Season Eight, which opened in 21st place with 29,000 units / $918,000. TV on DVD releases rarely do that well on Blu-ray, so a 24% Blu-ray share is good.

The Blu-ray market was relatively flat compared to last week down 1% in terms of units and up 4% in terms of dollars.

It was the fifth best week in terms of total revenue at $95 million and third best in terms of total units sold at 3.95 million. (Although there is a tight collection of weeks at the top, so when final numbers come in, these rankings could change.)

Compared to last year, Blu-ray sales were 273% higher in terms of units and 345% higher in terms of revenue. I was expecting growth on the year-over-year comparison, but nothing like this.

DVD sales were also relatively flat when compared to last week, as they were 4% higher in terms of units and 4% lower in terms of revenue. Compared to last year, DVD sales were 63% higher in terms of units and 68% higher in terms of revenue, so home market sales were strong across the board.

The overall Blu-ray share dropped by one percentage point to 47% in terms of units, but rose to 56% in terms of revenue.

Next week, the best selling release on Blu-ray should be Project X, which is not a good sign for the overall sales.

Fortunately, last year was even worse with Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules leading the way on DVD and The Adjustment Bureau led the way on Blu-ray with just 86,000 units. If project X doesn't sell at least twice that, I would be shocked.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows might sell almost as much during its second week of release than the entire market did last year.

- C.S.Strowbridge

Date posted: 2012-06-27

Movies
Act of Valor
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Safe House
John Carter
Superman vs. The Elite
Tyler Perry's Good Deeds
http://www.the-numbers.com/interacti...hp?newsID=7372

Quote:
DVD Sales: Sherlock Graduates

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows dominated the new releases and easily took top spot on top of the DVD sales chart this week. It sold 1.52 million units and generated $22.71 million in revenue, which is substantially more than its predecessor made during its opening week, despite selling fewer tickets while in theaters. It's hard to explain that.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance placed second with 359,000 units / $6.10 million, which is a mere fraction of its predecessor, but the DVD market has really changed in the past five years, so comparisons are unfair. Even so, this is weak.

Act of Valor was in third place with 327,000 units / $4.99 million for the week giving it totals of 961,000 units / $15.77 million after two. Tyler Perry's Good Deeds opened in fourth place with 324,000 unit s/ $5.49 million. This is a step up from Madea's Big Happy Family, for instance. Safe House fell to fifth place with 258,000 units / $4.65 million over the week for a total of 962,000 units / $16.60 million after two.

Another Tyler Perry release, Aunt Bam's Place: The Play opened in 8th place with 152,000 units / $2.13 million. This is very strong for a direct-to-DVD release, although Tyler Perry's built in fanbase helps. Entourage: Season Eight earned tenth place in its debut with 91,000 units / $2.40 million. The final new release to chart was Superman vs. the Elite, which placed 20th with 42,000 units / $594,000.

- C.S.Strowbridge

Date posted: 2012-06-26

Movies
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Act of Valor
Tyler Perry's Good Deeds
Safe House
Superman vs. The Elite
http://www.the-numbers.com/interacti...hp?newsID=7369

follow me on Twitter

Last edited by blueshadow | Kosty; 07-04-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #1172
Power Member

Sep 2007

I have finally added in all of the Nielsen Videoscan data charts now for the weeks in January and February 2012 where they were previously missing.

I've also replaced some charts that for one reason or another had bad image hosting links. A couple of those still remain here and there and I'll clean those up also in the near future.

As of now there pretty much is a complete set of weekly data available for every week in 2012.

follow me on Twitter
Old 06-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #1173
Power Member

Sep 2007

moved below

follow me on Twitter

Last edited by blueshadow | Kosty; 07-04-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:20 AM   #1174
Special Member

Mar 2009
Hialeah, Fl

No updates ......... All is well?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #1175
Power Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
No updates ......... All is well?
Should have stuff later today.

Spent last week a lot of time on travel and conferences in NYC so I'm a bit behind in the updates and have holiday schedule stuff going on this week as well.

HMM had several weeks delayed from their vendor due to summer schedule staffing I think and I've been pretty busy since I got home.

Thanks for asking. All is well.

follow me on Twitter
Old 07-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #1176
Special Member

Mar 2009
Hialeah, Fl

Quote:
Should have stuff later today.

Spent last week a lot of time on travel and conferences in NYC so I'm a bit behind in the updates and have holiday schedule stuff going on this week as well.

HMM had several weeks delayed from their vendor due to summer schedule staffing I think and I've been pretty busy since I got home.

Thanks for asking. All is well.
Good to hear . Being busy is also a good thing It's bad when you don't have anything to be busy with lol.

I was able to see the BD revenue for the two big weeks and both weeks came pretty close to $50 million mark.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #1177
Power Member

Sep 2007

Merchandising Week Ending 06/24/12

Quote:
Ready for Summer Fun

19 Jun, 2012
By: John Latchem

Best Buy's Disney Beach Ball

Best Buy is getting consumers ready for summer with a special Disney DVD deal. Select Disney kidvid animation DVDs offered at $14.99 each come with a free 13.5-inch Mickey & Friends beach ball.

For the adult mindset, Best Buy offers an exclusive DVD two-pack of the first two seasons of Fox’s “Louie,” starring comedian Louis C.K.

Other new releases at Best Buy include Sony Pictures’ Franklin & Bash: The Complete First Season at $29.99, the first season of “Wilfred” on DVD for $24.99 and Blu-ray for $29.99, Universal’s Wanderlust at $15.99 on DVD and $19.99 on Blu-ray, Fox’s Thin Ice for $12.99 on DVD and $16.99 on Blu-ray, and Universal’s Cat Run for $11.99 on DVD and $15.99 on Blu-ray.

Best Buy also put several USA Network and sci-fi TV DVDs on sale for as low as $12.99 each, including select seasons of “Eureka,” “In Plain Sight,” “Psych,” “Stargate Atlantis” and “Warehouse 13.”

Target downplayed the presence of DVD in its weekly ad circular, listing only Project X, Big Miracle and Seeking Justice as its key titles for the week.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/age...ady-summer-fun

follow me on Twitter
Old 07-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #1178
Power Member

Sep 2007

HMM Nielsen Videoscan First Alert Sales Report Week Ending 06/24/12

Quote:
'Sherlock Holmes' Sequel Tops Sales Chart for Second Week

27 Jun, 2012
By: Thomas K. Arnold

Warner Home Video’s Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows remained the top-selling disc for the second consecutive week, while another Warner title, Project X, was the highest-ranking new release the week ended June 24.

Project X, a teen-party-gone-wild comedy, debuted at No. 2 on the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert chart, which tracks overall disc sales, as well as Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart. The Hangover-like film grossed $54.7 million in theaters and features a cast of mostly attractive unknowns.

Another new release, Universal Studios’ Big Miracle, a $20 million-grossing drama with Drew Barrymore, debuted at No. 3 on First Alert and No. 6 on the Blu-ray Disc sales chart, behind 20th Century Fox’s Act of Valor at No. 3, Walt Disney Studio’s John Carter at No. 4 and Universal Studios’ Safe House at No. 5.

On First Alert, Act of Valor at No. 4 and Safe House at No. 5 rounded out the top five sellers.

Of the films in the top five on either chart, John Carter generated the highest percentage of its weekly sales from Blu-ray Disc, at 50%. Big Miracle was on the low end, at 31%.

On Home Media Magazine’s weekly video rental chart, the No. 1 spot went to This Means War, from 20th Century Fox, fresh off its 28-day moratorium from Netflix and Redbox. The prior week the film was No. 82.

The Paramount comedy Jeff, Who Lives at Home, debuted at No. 2. Paramount is one of the only studios that doesn’t hold back titles from rental outlets.

Related Links :

Top 20 Sellers for the Week Ended 06/24/12

Top 20 Rentals for the Week Ended 06/24/12

Top 20 Selling Blu-ray Discs for the Week Ended 06/24/12

Top 20 Blu-ray Market Share for the Week Ended 06/24/12

Sales Report for Week Ended 06/23/12

follow me on Twitter

Last edited by blueshadow | Kosty; 07-04-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #1179
Power Member

Sep 2007

HMM Nielsen Videoscan First Alert Sales Report Week Ending 06/24/12

follow me on Twitter
Old 07-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #1180
Power Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
Happy Fouth of July (And Schedule Information)

Tomorrow, Wednesday, is the Fourth of the July, and it is the absolutely worst day of the week for the holiday to land on. If it lands on the weekend or on a Monday or a Friday, it is just a regular four-day weekend. If it lands on a Tuesday or Thursday, a lot of people take the extra day off and it is an extended weekend. When it lands on a Wednesday, the whole week is a write-off. All studios are closed on Wednesday, most will be closed on Thursday, many will be closed on Friday. This means we will be dealing with incomplete data until Monday. Additionally, because Canada Day holiday was yesterday, regularly scheduled columns for the week will be spread out a bit with the DVD and Blu-ray release report coming out late tonight / early tomorrow, international numbers might be limited to a handful of studio estimates, etc. By Monday evening, we should be completely back on schedule.

- C.S.Strowbridge

Date posted: 2012-07-03

Quote:

follow me on Twitter
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology