COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Phantom of the Paradise (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Penny Dreadful: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Spy Game / State of Play (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (Blu-ray)
$18.79
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
The Originals: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$7.99
District 9 (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #261
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
Change the gravitational constant of the Universe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple of Vedder View Post
Redefine gravity? And how am I supposed to do that?!
You just do it!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:49 AM   #262
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

If he's going to go through all that trouble of changing the laws of physics, he might as well travel to 2015 and pick up the complete series on blu
Vaiyo A-O , A Home Va Ya Ray, Vaiyo A-Rah, Jerhume Brunnen G

My Collection
Old 06-21-2012, 01:56 AM   #263

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityOatyBar View Post
What are everyones impressions of the Star Trek: The Next Generation Movie Event being held around the country on July 23rd? Anyone going?

http://www.fathomevents.com/classics...artrektng.aspx

I only ask because all my so-called Trek friends have no interest in the event. Personally, I wouldn't miss the chance to see TNG in HD on the big screen. This is something that isn't likely to be repeated anytime soon.
Me and my dad are going. Pretty excited.
"Upconversion, HA! You can keep your upconversion myself i will go for the true 1080p versions."
Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 AM   #264
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
If he's going to go through all that trouble of changing the laws of physics, he might as well travel to 2015 and pick up the complete series on blu
Better to go ahead and skip another year or two ahead and get them at a discount when the price drops on the complete set
Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #265
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks™--------->126 UV-------->249

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjb1988 View Post
Me and my dad are going. Pretty excited.
I am inviting my dad as well as we watched the show together when I was a child. It's playing at one my local theaters as well. Definitely psyched about this.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #266
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I am inviting my dad as well as we watched the show together when I was a child. It's playing at one my local theaters as well. Definitely psyched about this.
When they show Best of Both Worlds Part 1 and 2 in theaters, I'm in. The two episodes they're showing here leave me a little cold. I never was a fan of Wesley, as no one is that brilliant without being eccentirc, and Wesley is about as eccentric as Beaver Cleaver. That's not a dig on Mr. Wheaton, who is a very good actor - his role was simply mis-conceived from the get-go, and for that, you have to fault the producer and writers. Imagine a Wesley more like Mozart in his teen years, and then you actually have an interesting character. As he is now, I just don't buy him.

As for the second episode, Datalore, that could be interesting in terms of how they handled the visual f/x, and might be worth seeing for that alone. But for my money, the series didn't start to get good until the 3rd season or thereabouts, and that's when I'll be looking to attend theatrical presentations of the episodes.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #267
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks™--------->126 UV-------->249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
When they show Best of Both Worlds Part 1 and 2 in theaters, I'm in. The two episodes they're showing here leave me a little cold. I never was a fan of Wesley, as no one is that brilliant without being eccentirc, and Wesley is about as eccentric as Beaver Cleaver. That's not a dig on Mr. Wheaton, who is a very good actor - his role was simply mis-conceived from the get-go, and for that, you have to fault the producer and writers. Imagine a Wesley more like Mozart in his teen years, and then you actually have an interesting character. As he is now, I just don't buy him.

As for the second episode, Datalore, that could be interesting in terms of how they handled the visual f/x, and might be worth seeing for that alone. But for my money, the series didn't start to get good until the 3rd season or thereabouts, and that's when I'll be looking to attend theatrical presentations of the episodes.
I agree with you that Best of Both Worlds Parts I and II were fantastic. I mean it was the foundation for Star Trek: First Contact, which is the best TNG film IMHO.

Season 3 does kick it up in terms of action and mufti-faceted plots, but I still personally like all 7 seasons.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #268
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
I never was a fan of Wesley, as no one is that brilliant without being eccentirc, and Wesley is about as eccentric as Beaver Cleaver. That's not a dig on Mr. Wheaton, who is a very good actor - his role was simply mis-conceived from the get-go, and for that, you have to fault the producer and writers. Imagine a Wesley more like Mozart in his teen years, and then you actually have an interesting character. As he is now, I just don't buy him.
Interesting take on the character, and much more insightful than the typical "Wesley sucks!" tripe you get from most fans, but this element never bothered me. As I think about it, I realize it's because, from what we've seen in the TREK universe, what would be considered average intelligence in the 24th Century is what we would consider to be a genius in the 21st. In other words, though marked, there isn't as massive a gap between Wesley's brain power and his peers' as there would be in 2012, so the neuroses we'd likely see in a citizen of his intellectual caliber today wouldn't necessary be a given in his 24th Century educational climate.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #269
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Ohio

Damn, was hoping for Best Of Both Worlds to be the episodes shown...
Old 06-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #270

Jun 2012

Quote:
"I agree with you that Best of Both Worlds Parts I and II were fantastic. I mean it was the foundation for Star Trek: First Contact, which is the best TNG film IMHO."
Well, not exactly. The premise of the Borg in "Q Who" and "Best of Both Worlds" was a collective mind with no individual leader and definitely not a Queen Bee (starting with ALIENS that franchise fell victim to the "Queen Bee Syndrome", too). Understanding the need of the Alpha Quadrant humanoids for individual leader figures, the Borg were kind enough to appoint Picard / Locutus as a familiar voice to speak for them.

The introduction of the Borg Queen was a changed premise (why wasn't she in "Best of Both Worlds" to speak for the Borg?). IMHO, the best TNG film would be a feature length version of "Best of Both Worlds".

Here is a riddle (suggestions welcome): By the end of season one ("The Neutral Zone") the Borg had already visited the Alpha Quadrant and wreaked havoc among Federation and Romulan installations near the Neutral Zone, assimilated plenty of information but obviously decided that neither the Federation nor the Romulans had interesting technology deserving further examination and left. Why did they come back?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #271
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank169 View Post
Here is a riddle (suggestions welcome): By the end of season one ("The Neutral Zone") the Borg had already visited the Alpha Quadrant and wreaked havoc among Federation and Romulan installations near the Neutral Zone, assimilated plenty of information but obviously decided that neither the Federation nor the Romulans had interesting technology deserving further examination and left. Why did they come back?
Because Q hurled us onto their turf (and the Borg didn't know that was the cause) which made us a lot more alarming as a threat and compelling as a species to assimilate.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #272
Expert Member

Jan 2010

Quote:
I really like the selection of WNOHGB which will probably be the prettiest update for that entire season - the scenes where the shoot by the galaxy clusters was great in 1987. Can't wait to see the HD version.

Datalore is an interesting choice, given there are other more FX driven episodes to showcase the upgrade. We'll Always Have Paris and Arsenal of Freedom spring to mind.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #273
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
Interesting take on the character, and much more insightful than the typical "Wesley sucks!" tripe you get from most fans, but this element never bothered me. As I think about it, I realize it's because, from what we've seen in the TREK universe, what would be considered average intelligence in the 24th Century is what we would consider to be a genius in the 21st. In other words, though marked, there isn't as massive a gap between Wesley's brain power and his peers' as there would be in 2012, so the neuroses we'd likely see in a citizen of his intellectual caliber today wouldn't necessary be a given in his 24th Century educational climate.
Wesley was created as a nod to the fanbase, giving young males a voice and a presence on the ship. Gene R was - allegedly - particularly taken with the idea and was quite sentimental about Wesley. That's why Wesley has no rough edges. He's not a character, he's an ideal, and a marketing tactic.

Wesley is supposed to be an Engineering savant, a freakishly talented physics prodigy. I personally think if Wesley had been approached as, say, a teenage "physics Mozart", and all the quirks that implies, he would have been a more fascinating character. And I'm only saying that from the standpoint of drama, not neccessarily "24th or 25th Century reality" of IQ standards.

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 06-21-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #274
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009

Quote:
Wesley has no rough edges. He's not a character, he's an ideal
Couldn't you as easily say that about 23rd/24th Century humanity overall as depicted in STAR TREK? TREK's very core is has always been about the ideal of what could be, rather than what is.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #275
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
Damn, was hoping for Best Of Both Worlds to be the episodes shown...
They probably wont get to reassembling/restoring those for another 6-12 months. Right now, CBS is restoring season two episodes. Maybe by this time next year (with the next movie coming out -- and if it's a bigger hit than the first) they could arrange for another event. But for "The Best of Both Worlds, Parts I & II" they should definitely skip going through Fathom and release a high-quality 2K DCP to theaters, edited together with "Family" into a 2 hour, 11 minute film (I know the exact length because I did this very thing years ago using the DVDs.)

I'll gladly do it all over again when I get my hands on seasons three and four on Blu-ray... and I can't wait to see it put together with a brand new scan and all those classic miniature effects in HD!

For me, this is the first Next Generation feature film. It deserves to be in theaters (the right way) and on Blu-ray as well.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #276
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Gizmonic Institute, Northeast PA

That's a great idea ME. I'll go to any event they do. I'm really looking forward to WNMHGB, I like that one and haven't seen it in years.

If anyone hears about how to get the event poster please post the info here.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #277
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Couldn't you as easily say that about 23rd/24th Century humanity overall as depicted in STAR TREK? TREK's very core is has always been about the ideal of what could be, rather than what is.
Not really - the main characters are fleshed out enough with their own fears and quirks that make them human and compelling (even Data). Wesley doesn't really fit. Of course, I thought Yar was boring as hell, too, and I was happy she quit the show. Not the best actress in the world, either. Then there was that failed Dr. Polaski character in season 2. Yikes.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #278
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009

Quote:
Not really - the main characters are fleshed out enough with their own fears and quirks that make them human and compelling (even Data). Wesley doesn't really fit.
Well, suffice it to say, I think you're selling the character short (and practicing hypocrisy, if one were to apply your accusations of his character failings to Yar's, who was rife with inherent dramatic potential, if the prima donna actress playing her hadn't been so damned impatient) but I tip my hat to you for at least being able to articulate the reasons for your Wesley hate more than 99.999% of the petulant fanbase.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #279
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Well, suffice it to say, I think you're selling the character short (and practicing hypocrisy, if one were to apply your accusations of his character failings to Yar's, who was rife with inherent dramatic potential, if the prima donna actress playing her hadn't been so damned impatient) but I tip my hat to you for at least being able to articulate the reasons for your Wesley hate more than 99.999% of the petulant fanbase.
Wow - I don't hate the character, I just think he was misconceived, and there was potential for someone really interesting.

Yar bugs me, because Denise Crosby can't act. Yeah, that character could have been interesting, but not played by her.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #280
Expert Member

Nov 2011
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post
You just do it!!!
I'm sure they are some discs hot off the presses. Road trip to Mexico! Don't forget the bolt cutters!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America