COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Just Go With It (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Monsters (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
The NeverEnding Story (Blu-ray)
$13.89
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Phantom of the Paradise (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Old 06-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Blu-ray San Blu-ray San is offline
Senior Member
 
Blu-ray San's Avatar
 
Nov 2006
New York
12
Default Home Audio Setup Question

Hi All! Audio setup newbee here!

So I'm kind of in a bit of an audio mess right now trying to figure this set up out...hopefully you audio experts can help!

What I want to do is though one a/v receiver in my kitchen, be able to have TV sound through 2 kitchen ceiling speakers and also through 2 outside speakers.
All the while being able to switch between the 2 sets as needed.

I already have all the wiring done through the walls abut now just need a receiver.


Here's an example: If we are in the kitchen watching tv and listening through the 2 ceiling kitchen speakers and decide to go outside....I want to be able to switch the sound from the inside to the outside a/v receiver. Then maybe put on some music and still have the sound coming from the outside speakers?

Is this possible or does this make sense? Have any suggestions?


As for receivers, I was looking inot getting the Denon AVR-1612 5.1 Channel A/V Home Theater Receiver ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Kryptonic Kryptonic is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
Kryptonic's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
164
29
Default

You just need a receiver that has a multi-zone function. The 1612 and the 1613 don't look like they offer this feature, but the 1712 and 1713 do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
callas01 callas01 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
39
219
47
Default

yes, its possible, but not with that receiver.

you would need this or this

The Onkyo I know for sure can power all three zones with its internal amps so you would run the source(video zone2 only) and speaker wires(zones 2 & 3) from the AVR. The denon has zone 2 video, but it can only use the speaker terminals to playback either zone 2 or 3 in stereo(but only one could be used), or zone 2 and 3 playing the same audio in mono(but they would be playing the same source material), thats how I read the manual.
Otherwise you would need to get an external amp to connect the zone 2 & 3 pre-outs to so that each one could play a completely independant audio source. So you could have 2 of these amps in addition near your 3312 so that they could power the zone 2 & 3 speakers with independant audio in stereo, which is what I think you want.
Video: Panasonic 55" P55ST50, Oppo BDP-103
Amplification: Integra DTR-40.2, Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: Jolida FX Tube DAC, MacBook Pro, Audirvana Music Software
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Auralex Subriser

Last edited by callas01; 06-21-2012 at 03:41 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
callas01 callas01 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
39
219
47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonic View Post
You just need a receiver that has a multi-zone function. The 1612 and the 1613 don't look like they offer this feature, but the 1712 and 1713 do.
only the 33XX series has zone 2 video, so the 17XX series wouldnt meet his needs, plus it doesnt have a 3rd zone audio
Video: Panasonic 55" P55ST50, Oppo BDP-103
Amplification: Integra DTR-40.2, Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: Jolida FX Tube DAC, MacBook Pro, Audirvana Music Software
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Auralex Subriser
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Blu-ray San Blu-ray San is offline
Senior Member
 
Blu-ray San's Avatar
 
Nov 2006
New York
12
Default

Thanks guys I will look into these Multi-Room AVRs!!

I'm just going to try and figure out how to get one at a cheaper price than $499
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Blu-ray San Blu-ray San is offline
Senior Member
 
Blu-ray San's Avatar
 
Nov 2006
New York
12
Default

How about this unit?

Yamaha RX-V671 7.1-Channel Network AV Receiver - Includes a second 2-channel stereo audio zone (Zone 2). - $400?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
callas01 callas01 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
39
219
47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-ray San View Post
How about this unit?

Yamaha RX-V671 7.1-Channel Network AV Receiver - Includes a second 2-channel stereo audio zone (Zone 2). - $400?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
do you just want audio for your second zone(kitchen)? Or do you want a video output for zone 2 and a 3rd zone(outside) for audio also?

If you just want audio for zone 2, then go with this
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html
Video: Panasonic 55" P55ST50, Oppo BDP-103
Amplification: Integra DTR-40.2, Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: Jolida FX Tube DAC, MacBook Pro, Audirvana Music Software
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Auralex Subriser

Last edited by callas01; 06-21-2012 at 06:22 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
Blu-ray San Blu-ray San is offline
Senior Member
 
Blu-ray San's Avatar
 
Nov 2006
New York
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
do you just want audio for your second zone(kitchen)? Or do you want a video output for zone 2 and a 3rd zone(outside) for audio also?

If you just want audio for zone 2, then go with this
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html


Yes I just need audio (radio/tv audio) for my second zone.

Thanks for the link! I will check it out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:16 AM   #9
Kali157 Kali157 is offline
Special Member
 
Nov 2009
43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-ray San View Post
Hi All! Audio setup newbee here!

So I'm kind of in a bit of an audio mess right now trying to figure this set up out...hopefully you audio experts can help!

What I want to do is though one a/v receiver in my kitchen, be able to have TV sound through 2 kitchen ceiling speakers and also through 2 outside speakers.
All the while being able to switch between the 2 sets as needed.

I already have all the wiring done through the walls abut now just need a receiver.


Here's an example: If we are in the kitchen watching tv and listening through the 2 ceiling kitchen speakers and decide to go outside....I want to be able to switch the sound from the inside to the outside a/v receiver. Then maybe put on some music and still have the sound coming from the outside speakers?

Is this possible or does this make sense? Have any suggestions?


As for receivers, I was looking inot getting the Denon AVR-1612 5.1 Channel A/V Home Theater Receiver ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
do you just want audio for your second zone(kitchen)? Or do you want a video output for zone 2 and a 3rd zone(outside) for audio also?

If you just want audio for zone 2, then go with this
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-ray San View Post
Yes I just need audio (radio/tv audio) for my second zone.

Thanks for the link! I will check it out.
Wait why is there a 3rd Zone? As I understand it, Zone 1 is the kitchen, and Zone 2 is the outside (correct me if I am wrong OP). So I am assuming you have a TV in the kitchen and you wish to use the in ceiling speakers for that TV. When you go outside, you want a 2nd Zone. Did I miss the 3rd zone? Looking for a 2 Zone is cheaper than a 3 zone.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
callas01 callas01 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
39
219
47
Default

well maybe I misread what he was asking, I thought he would be using the receiver in the living room, to the kitchen for audio/video, and outside for audio.
Video: Panasonic 55" P55ST50, Oppo BDP-103
Amplification: Integra DTR-40.2, Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: Jolida FX Tube DAC, MacBook Pro, Audirvana Music Software
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Auralex Subriser
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
bobbydrugar bobbydrugar is offline
Expert Member
 
bobbydrugar's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
San Francisco CA
48
1052
427
Default

heck all it sounds like you need is a stereo reciever with a/b speakers. since only 2 speakers in each zone a stereo deck will work and will cost less and sound better.

thx
t
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5008
Speakers: Front:Polk RTI A7 / Center: Polk CSI A6 / Surround: Polk FXi A6 (X4)
SUB: SVS PB12-NSD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
Game System: PS/3, XBox 360, Wii, PS/2
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
bobbydrugar bobbydrugar is offline
Expert Member
 
bobbydrugar's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
San Francisco CA
48
1052
427
Default

try onkyo tx8050 stereo reciever full retail is 399
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5008
Speakers: Front:Polk RTI A7 / Center: Polk CSI A6 / Surround: Polk FXi A6 (X4)
SUB: SVS PB12-NSD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
Game System: PS/3, XBox 360, Wii, PS/2
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
Blu-ray San Blu-ray San is offline
Senior Member
 
Blu-ray San's Avatar
 
Nov 2006
New York
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali157 View Post
Wait why is there a 3rd Zone? As I understand it, Zone 1 is the kitchen, and Zone 2 is the outside (correct me if I am wrong OP). So I am assuming you have a TV in the kitchen and you wish to use the in ceiling speakers for that TV. When you go outside, you want a 2nd Zone. Did I miss the 3rd zone? Looking for a 2 Zone is cheaper than a 3 zone.

I'm only looking for a receiver with Zone 1 and Zone 2. I have 2 ceiling speakers in kitchen that I want to hook up and use with me TV and I have 2 other ceiling speakers outside that I want to also use with my TV and with other inputs like radio, etc.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
Blu-ray San Blu-ray San is offline
Senior Member
 
Blu-ray San's Avatar
 
Nov 2006
New York
12
Default

So far I'm looking at these receivers from Onkyo.

This one has only a Zone 2 Line Out feature (not sure what this means) - $299

Onkyo TX-NR414 5.1-Channel Network A/V Receiverhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER



This one has it's one Zone 2 speaker wire connectors - $397

Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiverhttp://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR515.../dp/B0077V88VI


I just need a receiver that has 2 Zones that works simultaneously with both audio from my TV and audio from radio in both zones.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
callas01 callas01 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
39
219
47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-ray San View Post
So far I'm looking at these receivers from Onkyo.

This one has only a Zone 2 Line Out feature (not sure what this means) - $299

Onkyo TX-NR414 5.1-Channel Network A/V Receiverhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER



This one has it's one Zone 2 speaker wire connectors - $397

Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiverhttp://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR515.../dp/B0077V88VI


I just need a receiver that has 2 Zones that works simultaneously with both audio from my TV and audio from radio in both zones.
You want the one with the speaker terminals for zone two, or you will need another amp to power the speakers.
Video: Panasonic 55" P55ST50, Oppo BDP-103
Amplification: Integra DTR-40.2, Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: Jolida FX Tube DAC, MacBook Pro, Audirvana Music Software
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Auralex Subriser
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
Kali157 Kali157 is offline
Special Member
 
Nov 2009
43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-ray San View Post
I'm only looking for a receiver with Zone 1 and Zone 2. I have 2 ceiling speakers in kitchen that I want to hook up and use with me TV and I have 2 other ceiling speakers outside that I want to also use with my TV and with other inputs like radio, etc.
That is what I thought. I actually helped a friend with a similar setup consisting of a kitchen and of an outdoor space. The outdoor space is off a path about 20 feet from the door into the kitchen. But the contractor wired the outdoor speaker all the way to the kitchen.

With a split setup like this, there are some questions you need to address:

1. Are you sure you will NEVER use the kitchen and the outdoor space (sound wise) at the same time? If you will use both at the same time, are you going to be okay with the same source (ie both playing CDs or radio or TV)? As I understand it (I could be wrong), most entry level AVRs with Zone 2 share many of its functionality w/ Zone 1. This means same sound in both rooms.

2. Do you want the ability to control the sound outside? Volume, channel, source, etc.

Because of these issues, we actually went with TWO AVRs (under $150 each from A4L). The outdoor one, we stuck it in an old locking cooler (turned sideways). We sprayed it black and put a rubber gasket around the opening to make a weatherproof Otter Box. Wired the speaker wires and an outdoor power strip in and an IR blaster (to control the AVR and CD player with box closed) and iPod dock out. Sealed the wire holes. Placed it in one of the shelves in the built-in outdoor BBQ/prep table/counter.

Anyway, 2 AVRs made sense for his use. The main issue was volume and track control in the outdoor space. I can see going with a better AVR w/ a Zone 2 if your speakers are pretty good (which they can be... I don't know). But typical ceiling and outdoor speakers will not take advantage of higher quality AVRs' components... unless they are extremely difficult to drive.

I guess the other issue is space. If you go for one AVR w/ Zone 2, make sure it has POWERED Zone 2.

Last edited by Kali157; 06-22-2012 at 05:52 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:39 AM.