COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Ong Bak Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Hell On Wheels: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > Sports

Old 06-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #221
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaijinUT View Post
I would agree. I have the most interest in that game this round.

I think Spain, Germany, and Portugal are locks to advance.
it would good if they do.

would also be amazing if greece could get through! my B team well they were my C team but now ireland are gone they have stepped up go greece
Old 06-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #222
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by maze View Post
I think Italy and Spain are the most unpleasant rivals of Germany, so if England wins over Italy and Portugal reaches the final, this will only make the life of Germany easier.
Well .... Germany still has to play Greece today so....

BTW Platini already said the final will be Germany VS Spain there's no doubt and yesterday he had that face that needed some pepto bismol

Quote:
I think, it is about time for a revolution in football. All footballers, managers, etc. should boycott FIFA and UEFA to quickly solve this problem: http://www.reviewmaze.com/2012/06/is...ving-more.html
Well i agree and disagree , players make mistakes coaches makes mistakes why can't a ref make mistakes ?? Now and since Platini he was the decision maker of the 5th ref. and they made a mistake like the England vs Ukraine , we have to ask what are they doing there , there main objective is that .... to be sure that the ball fully passes the goal line .
Old 06-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #223
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
co.cork ireland

Germany to win tonight, Spain to get through tomorrow and Italy on Sunday
Old 06-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #224

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
Well i agree and disagree , players make mistakes coaches makes mistakes why can't a ref make mistakes ?? Now and since Platini he was the decision maker of the 5th ref. and they made a mistake like the England vs Ukraine , we have to ask what are they doing there , there main objective is that .... to be sure that the ball fully passes the goal line .
I don't say that referees can't make mistakes. Every human being make mistakes. But exactly this is the reason why referees should be helped by some technologies. The stubbornness of Platini and the others is just ridiculous.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #225
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
California

Quote:
I think, it is about time for a revolution in football. All footballers, managers, etc. should boycott FIFA and UEFA to quickly solve this problem: http://www.reviewmaze.com/2012/06/is...ving-more.html
Good article, did you write it? Anyways I generally agree with it and IMO Blatter and Platini are idiots for being against goal line technology. There I said it.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
Old 06-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #226
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Boston suburbs

Quote:
I don't say that referees can't make mistakes. Every human being make mistakes. But exactly this is the reason why referees should be helped by some technologies. The stubbornness of Platini and the others is just ridiculous.
Unless the officiating system was corrupt, I, for one, oppose any implementation of technologies within the game. There is no system that can be instituted where the eventual call is guaranteed to be the correct call because subjectivity is still a factor (either on the part of the referee or from officals perusing footage in a video review booth determining the validity of a scoring play), not to mention that it would be extremely disruptive to the flow of the game.
PSN/Battlelog/Xbox Live: ▌۩▐ PrivatePixel
Pioneer Elite || Definitive Technology

"Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones." - Bertrand Russell
Old 06-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #227
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePixel View Post
Unless the officiating system was corrupt, I, for one, oppose any implementation of technologies within the game. There is no system that can be instituted where the eventual call is guaranteed to be the correct call because subjectivity is still a factor (either on the part of the referee or from officals perusing footage in a video review booth determining the validity of a scoring play), not to mention that it would be extremely disruptive to the flow of the game.
Few things affect more than a disallowed legitimate goal because of differing opinions whether the ball crossed the line or not. They (UEFA and FIFA) don't really need video reviews like in the NFL or tennis, they can do something like in hockey AFAIK where there is an automatic indicator when the puck crosses the line. I'm talking simply about goal line technology and not other factors like offside or something else.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
Old 06-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #228

Jul 2011

Quote:
I strongly disagree.
First, there are not a hundred situations to use such a technology in a match. For example, it could be implemented in a way that each side has one or two possibilities to challenge a judgement in a game. This won't disrupt anything. The games are more disrupted now because of wrong decissions than they would be with such a technology.
Second, obviously subjectivity won't be a factor if the video review is available to the public (and I don't see any reason why it should not be). If a technology is used and somebody still takes a wrong decission it would be obvious to everybody that the mistake is made on purpose. Now it isn't cause referees are humans and thus they are excused of making mistakes.
Third, referees are human beings. They make mistakes, intentionally or not. Nothing wrong with that, but if some mistakes could be avoided with a technology (and they definitely could), there is not a good reason why not to implement it. It's a fact that in some cases tech is better than humans. And the case with the goal line technology is even not complex. It's quite simple hardware/software.

Sorry but your arguments are completely pointless. Exactly what Platini and the rest do to excuse their questionable behavior.

Last edited by maze; 06-22-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #229

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post
Good article, did you write it? Anyways I generally agree with it and IMO Blatter and Platini are idiots for being against goal line technology. There I said it.
Yes, I did. Platini was a great player but obviously not a great president.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #230
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Boston suburbs

Quote:
I strongly disagree.
First, there are not a hundred situations to use such a technology in a match. For example, it could be implemented in a way that each side has one or two possibilities to challenge a judgement in a game. This won't disrupt anything. The games are more disrupted now because of wrong decissions than they would be with such a technology.
Second, obviously subjectivity won't be a factor if the video review is available to the public (and I don't see any reason why it should not be). If a technology is used and somebody still takes a wrong decission it would be obvious to everybody that the mistake is made on purpose. Now it isn't cause referees are humans and thus they are excused of making mistakes.
You brought up two instances that cemented my point. Regarding point #1: this isn't tennis. A challenge of any sort initiated by the manager would bring the game to a halt, as the manager and officials confer on a questionable play. Not only that, but how much time should be allotted for the manager to plead his case? (Don't even bother bringing up the issue of diving in this argument; that's another issue for a different thread)

Point #2: I see no benefit in showing a video review to the public, especially if the call in question does favour the home crowd. I see it all the time during NBA games: all this does is make them more obnoxious and vociferant, as they communicate their displeasure/disapproval over said call.

Quote:
Sorry but your arguments are completely pointless. Exactly what Platini and the rest do to excuse their questionable behavior.
You haven't provided any reasoning to support your stance. All you've stated is that you support technologies, but you don't cite specifics or even examples of real-life implementations where they would benefit the sport (rather than impede it).

"Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones." - Bertrand Russell
Old 06-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #231
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
California

I heard Gomez, Podolski and Muller are all being rested for today's match.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #232
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Boston suburbs

Quote:
Few things affect more than a disallowed legitimate goal because of differing opinions whether the ball crossed the line or not. They (UEFA and FIFA) don't really need video reviews like in the NFL or tennis, they can do something like in hockey AFAIK where there is an automatic indicator when the puck crosses the line. I'm talking simply about goal line technology and not other factors like offside or something else.
I understand the ramifications of a questionable call made by an on-field official, and I've seen many an instance where goals were disallowed, but perhaps having another set of eyes could have affected, if not overturned, the initial call. I'm not opposed to having additional officials around the net, which would reduce the likelihood of bad calls (such as the one against Marko Dević in the England-Ukraine game).

While goal-line technology would help in averting missed calls involving goals, it would also serve in validating scores stemming from situations that weren't picked up by this technology, e.g. a missed off-side.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #233
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Boston suburbs

Quote:
That's a very brash move, if true. Granted, the opposition is Greece, but still, anything can happen during the course of the game. Perhaps Joachim Lw didn't want to risk losing any of his key players for the semis?

Old 06-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #234

Jul 2011

Quote:
You brought up two instances that cemented my point. Regarding point #1: this isn't tennis. A challenge of any sort initiated by the manager would bring the game to a halt, as the manager and officials confer on a questionable play. Not only that, but how much time should be allotted for the manager to plead his case? (Don't even bother bringing up the issue of diving in this argument; that's another issue for a different thread)

Point #2: I see no benefit in showing a video review to the public, especially if the call in question does favour the home crowd. I see it all the time during NBA games: all this does is make them more obnoxious and vociferant, as they communicate their displeasure/disapproval over said call.

You haven't provided any reasoning to support your stance. All you've stated is that you support technologies, but you don't cite specifics or even examples of real-life implementations where they would benefit the sport (rather than impede it).
Well, it's not the first time I'm arguing with you and I'm always amazed how you manage to use pointless arguments and claim the other side have not provided any.

Point 1: If a challenge will take you an hour, in reality it could be done in less than a minute. We see repetitions of the situations on the TV screen in seconds, the same could be done without any limitation by everybody on the field. Only it would be even more precise because of the specific technologies. As I've stated before (and this is an example of reasoning if you are not able to notice it) now it quite often happens that several minutes a lost in arguing because there is not a way for either of the sides to be sure what happened. Or maybe according to you there are not interruptions of the game now? The only difference would be that now all these interruptions do not make any sense and if there is a technology, there obviously would be more benefit to interrupt the game if a critical mistake could be avoided.

Point 2: "Public" means the whole world. No official would risk to make a wrong decision when the technology shows the opposite and the world is able to see it recorded at some public location (online or wherever). Again I'm amazed of your limited way of thinking.

You only prove that people are able to use endless amount of pointless arguments just to defend a lost cause.

As for particular technologies this is so easy to be implemented that there are many possible. As ManUtd suggested it could be done even automatically - when a goal is scorred it is automatically registered.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #235

Jul 2011

Quote:
I think it is because of the different playing style Greece is practicing. Gomez scorred 3 times but he is kind of static and this probably won't be the best for the match with Greece. Muller has been quite useless in the first 3 matches contrary to his great performance 2 years ago in South Africa.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #236
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

So not a big surprise on today's game , the only surprise was the Greeks scoring 2 goals .
Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #237
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Quote:
The technology could help but would it make a difference ??? This is the real question ! More it happens in the field than ppl are aware of it . Corruption and influences are my biggest concern within the game . I just saw Platini all smiles with the german prime-minister and i can tell you that yesterday he wasn't that happy with Portugal winning .
Old 06-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #238
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
So not a big surprise on today's game , the only surprise was the Greeks scoring 2 goals .
Yeah, 4 goals from Germany was not suprising, but Greece with 2 might be concerning for them, although the final Greek goal was a PK.
Detroit/Michigan Sports Fanatic - Go Blue, Wings, Tigers, Lions, Pistons!
(My avatar is the Arctic Monkeys' first album cover)

Famous Blu-ray.com Quotes:
"the Anti-Crim wasn't banned, though...just regular and pirate version" - jkwest
"Crim if you can read this, give us a sign." - dpompeo (aka dpomp)
"I'm glad you aren't dead." - BruceWayne
"Brucey!!!! nice...getting lucky with some rapper skank!" - jkwest
Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #239

Jul 2011

Quote:
The technology could help but would it make a difference ??? This is the real question ! More it happens in the field than ppl are aware of it . Corruption and influences are my biggest concern within the game . I just saw Platini all smiles with the german prime-minister and i can tell you that yesterday he wasn't that happy with Portugal winning .
Not a big difference cause anyway such situations are not so often. But it is enough if it helps even in just a few cases because it's awful to wait for a competition 4 years (sometimes even 8 or 12 or even more depending on your country) and to be eliminated because of an error.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #240
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
co.cork ireland

Germany looking good
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > Sports