Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$55.95
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rosemary's Baby (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Devil's Backbone (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Eyes Without a Face (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
Videodrome (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Repulsion (Blu-ray)
$19.49
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
Banned

Aug 2011
Default "New" blu-rays with stickers over the barcodes

I'm guessing this is done every time a film is re-released? If that's not it, someone tell me why.

Do they HAVE to put the sticker on the actual blu-ray case and not the plastic wrap? I just ordered Juno from Amazon and there's not one, but TWO barcode stickers over the original barcode. This also happened on a few other of my blus. Peeling the stickers off leaves residue. That sucks.

Anyone else hate this?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Banned

Mar 2012
Currently suspended from the ceiling of the moderators rape dungeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victim View Post
Peeling the stickers off leaves residue. That sucks.
Try high grade Isopropyl Alcohol 90% or higher.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->264

Quote:
Originally Posted by budious View Post
Try high grade Isopropyl Alcohol 90% or higher.
+1. That's also the best thing to get stickers off glass and metal when used with a razor blade.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

I've pretty much seen this with the Miramax Blu-rays that were re-released under Lionsgate. Kill Bill, No Country For Men, Gangs of New York, Clerks, etc.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
Greensburg, Pennsylvania

I noticed this accidentally at Walmart the other day. I was looking at the Universal 100 release of The Fast and the Furious and wanted to see if the spine had the regular number or roman numeral, but couldn't get the slipcover to slide off to save my life. Which is when I looked at the back and saw the damn sticker over the hole, holding it to the plastic. Ugh.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Power Member

Dec 2011

Yeah I've learned 2 look for this after a nasty incident with Live Free Die
Hard. What I hate even more is the F**CKING stickers on the slip covers. Recently picked up Rise of the Planet of the Apes from BBY &
omg the residue from all the stickers is outrageous !!! And you can't get the crap off without ruining the art work on the cover.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Every retailer does this. It's practiced by Best Buy, Target, Walmart and countless other retailers who need to add the item to their inventory system when the original barcode isn't recognized by their POS system.

If you peel off that barcode and try to return it, the retailer will not accept the return.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Expert Member

Mar 2008
Windy Valley, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
Every retailer does this. It's practiced by Best Buy, Target, Walmart and countless other retailers who need to add the item to their inventory system when the original barcode isn't recognized by their POS system.

If you peel off that barcode and try to return it, the retailer will not accept the return.
With a receipt they will, but without your screwed.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Many times reissues by a studio are given new UPC numbers to differentiate them from the original stock for royalty payment reasons. The studios are too cheap to trash their existing stock, so they will often slap a new UPC sticker over the old one and sell them as the reduced price item. Many royalty agreements in Hollywood revolve around the price level at what an item sells for, so the cheap copies you see at Walmart for $5 don't pay the same to the talent or producers.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
I'm guessing this is done every time a film is re-released? If that's not it, someone tell me why.

Do they HAVE to put the sticker on the actual blu-ray case and not the plastic wrap? I just ordered Juno from Amazon and there's not one, but TWO barcode stickers over the original barcode. This also happened on a few other of my blus. Peeling the stickers off leaves residue. That sucks.

Anyone else hate this?
I just leave em alone, THEY DO NOT AFFECT THE MOVIE!
THERE'S SOOOO MUCH OCD ON THIS SITE!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterdvd View Post
With a receipt they will, but without your screwed.
Even with a receipt. If their POS terminals don't register the barcode, they won't accept it. Because when you exchange something, they have to cancel out your original receipt and register through their POS terminals that you exchanged the item ...

Because there is no way to determine if it was clearance, a new product for the store or what. They may think it might be bootleg or pirated copy of something they don't sell.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Van Nuys, CA/ Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Me too.
The Driver, The Mechanic, The Girl, and GTO.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #13
Banned

Aug 2011

Quote:
no
Old 06-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #14

Aug 2009

i just had one of these from Amazon, a DVD. Clearly re-sealed, and heat sunk into the spine as well, which I hate as well. Sayign that, the entire box was brooken, so it was a disgrace overall.

I had a BD of CLose Encouters fro Play.com that was clearly a return, and that was unwrapped. They hadn't even bothered to try and hid that it had been used before. I complained, and they sent me a replacement.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Banned

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
i just had one of these from Amazon, a DVD. Clearly re-sealed, and heat sunk into the spine as well, which I hate as well. Sayign that, the entire box was brooken, so it was a disgrace overall.

I had a BD of CLose Encouters fro Play.com that was clearly a return, and that was unwrapped. They hadn't even bothered to try and hid that it had been used before. I complained, and they sent me a replacement.
This JUST happened to me with a DVD as well. Opened a new DVD and the plastic wrap is practically stuck to the spine. And there was a barcode sticker OVER the top security sticker, both of which were impossible to get off. It practically left a big tear in the real barcode on the paper insert.

Thankfully it's just a DVD and I have plenty of extra DVDs to trade cases with.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

To even it out, basically, if I purchase a DVD or a Blu-ray that is placed over the original UPC, I simply leave it on there until I have a chance to watch the film. If there's nothing wrong with the disk, and I choose to remove the "affixed" UPC sticker tag, then I'll remove it. That way, if I have to return it, there won't be any problems exchanging the disk.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
Expert Member

Oct 2009
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday72 View Post
Yeah I've learned 2 look for this after a nasty incident with Live Free Die
Hard. What I hate even more is the F**CKING stickers on the slip covers. Recently picked up Rise of the Planet of the Apes from BBY &
omg the residue from all the stickers is outrageous !!! And you can't get the crap off without ruining the art work on the cover.
I can feel your pain, that RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES slipcase was one of my hardest challenges ever in matters of peeling off stickers, so much so that I failed on my first attempt.

So I returned it to Best Buy for a second copy exchange, and then a well balanced mix of Ronson's lighter fluid and patience led me to success.

(if memory serves me, alcohol was a no-no on the foiled cover art, for it literally ate it away!)

Old 06-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
Expert Member

Mar 2008
Windy Valley, CA

Quote:
This JUST happened to me with a DVD as well. Opened a new DVD and the plastic wrap is practically stuck to the spine. And there was a barcode sticker OVER the top security sticker, both of which were impossible to get off. It practically left a big tear in the real barcode on the paper insert.

Thankfully it's just a DVD and I have plenty of extra DVDs to trade cases with.
Usually a tear on the bar code like that means it was a copy that was either sent out as a promotional item, or was suppose to be destroyed by the manufacture.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #19

Jun 2012

Quote:
What's OCD?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #20
Banned

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterdvd View Post
Usually a tear on the bar code like that means it was a copy that was either sent out as a promotional item, or was suppose to be destroyed by the manufacture.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America