Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Final Destination Set (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Lifeforce (Blu-ray)
$14.59
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Gershwins' Porgy & Bess (Blu-ray)
$29.89
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 06-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #49801
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
You would have to spend three or four hours explaining to her what "inner monologue" mean's first!
I'd be willing to tackle that project
Old 06-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #49802
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurelabel View Post
Do they? The DVD was from MGM.
Oooh, it is. Thanks. Post edited to reflect.

Got it mixed with Blow Up (another OOP title from a favorite director I had to import on DVD due to it being vastly cheaper)

Last edited by Cinemach; 06-22-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #49803

Mar 2008
Rhode Island

All the times 'In The Mood For Love' shows up on these lists I decided to blind buy the Criterion DVD. Looking forward to it.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #49804

Jun 2012

Sirk's color films would look incredible on blu
Old 06-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #49805

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
Fantastic Mr. Squirrel is the "Later" Anderson.... We live in an A.D.D. world..... thus is the way...
I hate people that call themselves fans of a director but denounce his best films. Fantastic mr fox is in fact one of his best films, as well as moonrise kingdom. Just because criterion is "too good" for animated films doesn't automatically mean they only deal in "earlier Anderson." considering darjeeling limited has a blu ray release. Moonrise kingdom will most definately get a criterion release later on.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #49806
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaBlu View Post
I wish more people would request at least one Douglas Sirk film. They keep cranking out Kurosawa, Bergman and Godard but not one Sirk film has been released yet. I want Written on the Wind and Imitation of Life on blu.
You and me both. A Time to Love and a Time To Die on blu-ray would be welcomed by me. Maybe MoC can do it (seeing as they have already released the film on dvd).
Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #49807
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Here, There and Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlayWulf View Post
I hate people that call themselves fans of a director but denounce his best films. Fantastic mr fox is in fact one of his best films, as well as moonrise kingdom. Just because criterion is "too good" for animated films doesn't automatically mean they only deal in "earlier Anderson." considering darjeeling limited has a blu ray release. Moonrise kingdom will most definately get a criterion release later on.
I don't think Criterion is too good for animated films. That's a quality film but there's already a fine release out there.

It's the same idea for something like TREE OF LIFE. There's really no need for Criterion to release a version if the studio has it covered.
Barnes & Noble has Criterion Collection 50% Off Sales Each November and July
Next Sale Begins: November 11, 2014

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=250317
Old 06-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #49808
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2007

Quote:
Debating his best film is moot (even though Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums are considered his best by many), since it is all opinion anyways, so why bother. Criterion deals in 'earlier Anderson' because they still have the rights to those films and can possible release them on blu-ray contractually. If Disney wants to pull the rights on The Life Aquatic and release it themselves on blu-ray, the probably could for all we know. People seem to forget that Criterion owns no films and licenses everything for release.

IMO, the issue now is that Wes is almost 'too popular' for Criterion to obtain the rights to release his films now. Seems that the major studios that are releasing the film theatrically are finally realizing this and doing their own releases, as per Fantastic Fox and Kingdom. Criterion may get the scraps down the road for a release on Moonrise, but I doubt it. It will probably cost too much for Criterion to obtain the rights and Universal will probably do a good job on the release, so why double dip?
Old 06-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #49809
Expert Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaBlu View Post
I wish more people would request at least one Douglas Sirk film. They keep cranking out Kurosawa, Bergman and Godard but not one Sirk film has been released yet. I want Written on the Wind and Imitation of Life on blu.
Me too. Criterion should upgrade Magnificent Obsession and All that Heaven Allows as soon as humanly possible. They should pair them up for a "duo" release like those we have seen each month. Or maybe, they can go the Carne "route", upgrading one of those and releasing A Time to Love and a Time to Die, like SpiderBaby suggested .

In my opinion, Godard is just as ignored right now (Not as much as Sirk but widely unseen for a long time). Week End maybe is released in October but most likely November if you ask me. Kurosawa got a film last year and so I would not mind seeing him again but Bergman has LOTS of attention at the moment. Fanny and Alexander, Summer Interlude and Summer with Monika in less than a year. I am actually quite looking forward to the November slate. Week End is likely, Wenders' Road Trilogy or Pasolini's Trilogy of Life are quite a given too. Imagine those AND a Sirk or two !
Most Wanted BD Upgrades: Oshima's Youth Trilogy (Oshima, 1960s) - Four Months, Three Weeks and Two Days (Mungiu, 2007) - The Cranes are Flying (Kalatozov, 1957) - Los Olvidados (Bunuel, 1950) - Stalker (Tarkovsky, 1979) -Histoire(s) du Cinema (Godard, 1988) - October (Eisenstein, 1928) - Taste of Cherry (Kiarostami, 1997) - Hable con Ella (Almodovar, 2002) - The Ploretariat Trilogy (Kaurismaki, 1986-1990) - Viridiana (Bunuel, 1961) - Vamonos con Pancho Villa! (de Fuentes, 1936).
Old 06-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #49810

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Quote:
I hate people that call themselves fans of a director but denounce his best films.
I guess I'll consider myself fortunate that I did neither of those things.
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 06-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #49811
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Would anyone happen to have the timestamp for The Thin Red Line where the encode has weird coloring? Thanks!

Edit: Never mind. Google helped me. Back to your regular scheduling.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #49812
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesilo View Post
All the times 'In The Mood For Love' shows up on these lists I decided to blind buy the Criterion DVD. Looking forward to it.
Did you actually find a Criterion copy that was not too high? I seem to recall it was OOP and the DVD had a high price
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 06-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #49813
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Silverlake, Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Did you actually find a Criterion copy that was not too high? I seem to recall it was OOP and the DVD had a high price
In The Mood For Love is most definitely not OOP.
My Criterion Collection

Please help me acquire these Scream Factory slips (in Mint condition):
Cockneys Vs. Zombies,
Sleepaway Camp, Cat People, Vincent Price Collection Vol. 1 Slipbox, The Howling, Phantasm II, The Fog, Prince Of Darkness
Old 06-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #49814
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
It's $23.98 on Amazon US.

I figured that since I said Che is not talked about much, I'll post my review that I wrote for another site that was accidentally deleted. I'd love to discuss it.

[Show spoiler]The Argentine

“Well, it’s impossible to defeat imperialism without identifying its head, the United States of America. In a capitalist system, most people live in an invisible cage. For example, there you accept the myth of the self-made man without understanding that the opportunities of most people are determined by forces they do not even see.”

It’s impossible to discuss director Steven Soderbergh’s phenomenal biopic, Che, without mentioning American politics. The quote above still rings true today, arguably more than ever in the country’s history. In a time where protesters want to make a difference and where income inequality has reached exhausting heights, Che’s messages about what it means to be a revolutionary have never been more pertinent. There’s a reason why young, impressionable teenagers wear clothing bearing his image: they like his message.

In Part One, Ernesto “Che” Guevara (Beneicio del Toro) and his friend Fidel Castro (Demián Bichir) have decided that the current ruling class in Cuba is completely unacceptable. Batista is weak in their eyes because of his collusion with the United States. Their country is riddled with, as John F. Kennedy put it, “humiliation and exploitation” of its citizens. The two come together to attempt to overthrow Batista and put Cuba on a path they perceive to be correct.

Soderbergh captures this battle, along with scenes from Guevara’s United Nations visit, in his signature style: close-ups, shaky cam, and realism. He even opts for voiceovers from Che’s U.N. visit and his interview with Lisa Howard. These instances provide insight into the “Argentine” and his way of thinking, from his views on what is most important to a revolutionary to his stance on the United States. These voiceovers are expertly placed throughout the narrative as we watch the struggle Che and his cohorts go through to achieve their goals. The voiceovers complement what we see, breaking the rule of “show, not tell” in an incredible and entertaining fashion.

Soderbergh decides to show us, in a quite romanticized way, the positives of Che, with very little negatives. Sure, his divisive and incendiary comments at the U.N. are present (the admittance and continuation of executions among them), but the narrative leads us to believe that Che was a kind man. It suggests that Che’s sole purpose was to make Cuban lives better than they have ever been: land reform, the taxing of the rich, restoring their 1940 constitution that Batista suspended, caring for the sick, helping the poor and even military tribunals for criminals. As Che says, “Love of humanity, justice, and truth.”

The realism in the armed struggles is reminiscent of Michael Mann’s revered shootout sequence in Heat. The typical Hollywood clichés are not present: there are no sparks as lead collides with cars and buildings; there are no fireworks to denote explosions; there is no excessive gore when the soldiers are shot. This is the realism that should accompany such subject manner. Small firefights can go a long way and become vastly entertaining if care is taken to demonstrate realism.

The realism is extended in terms of how long and laborious the mission of the revolutionaries was. There are marches through jungles, the spreading of their message to the peasants, the gathering of support among warring factions, and caring for the wounded. This isn’t a fast-paced film because the audience is supposed to show empathy for the fighters’ cause. They are supposed to feel the patience that these diligent men and women went through to topple an oppressive regime and their satisfaction in achieving it.

“When we’re done in Cuba,” Che says to Fidel, “you let me bring the Revolution to all Latin America.”

____

Guerilla

“Anywhere in the world where men are being exploited by men, conditions are right. When children work in mines, and 50% of miners reach 30 years of age, […] If infant mortality rates are the highest in Latin America because of lack of hospitals and medical care, the situation is right for me.” – Ernesto Guevara

At the end of Part One, the Cuban Revolution had just begun. Che rose to prominence and his name was known by major parties involved in world politics. Now he wants to continue the revolution all over Latin America and Part Two shows this aspect of his life.

Che has decided to bring a revolution to Bolivia, which at this very moment is dealing with what he perceives to be a military dictatorship. Like the quote from the film above suggests, miners are dying very early in life and it is eventually noted that the military is killing miners who are protesting their treatment. Infant mortality rate is also the highest in Latin America. The revolutionary has a difficult task ahead of him to replicate his achievement in Cuba.

Xenophobia is a problem for the Bolivians. Che’s revolution is not entirely supported and his assistance is frowned upon. The Communist Party of Bolivia will not support him if he insists on an armed struggle. These facts create a significant problem for Che and his determination to continue the revolution.

Part Two is all about Che’s predicaments, many of which are drastically worse than what he encountered during Cuba’s revolution. There is dissent, desertion, a lack of determination, a lack of resilience, and even a lack of support from the peasants. These problems do not deter Che, however. He continues to spread his ideals and messages through his followers and those he hopes to have on his side.

Director Steven Soderbergh continues his cinéma vérité in Part Two, opting to show realism instead of exaggeration. The camera acts as a guide for the audience, a lens for them to see the struggles. These techniques allow them to be in the mind of the protagonist and his soldiers, and in the fights they encounter. In the case Che himself, the director puts us in his mindset as he struggles. We are in the head of a man who eventually goes insane with the idea of a revolution all over Latin America. This is the director’s craft, something not many filmmakers can accomplish. His biopic is arguably one of the best in existence because of his love for the medium and his determination to give the best he can.

The supplements on the Criterion release are fascinating. Each part of the film contains a commentary track with the author of the novel the film is adapted from (Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life). Deleted scenes also exist for each part and there’s a documentary that was created in 1967 after Che’s death. The real meat of the bonus features, however, lies in two featurettes: Making “Che,” and “Che” and the Digital Cinema Revolution!

Making “Che” goes into detail about the hurdles that had to be cleared in order for production to start. The most significant hurdle was that of a decade-long process to make the film. At one time Terrence Malick was signed on to direct. That fell through and Soderbergh took the reins. Extensive research was also performed as the filmmakers didn’t know how Che died. Many trips were taken to Cuba to interview people who knew him, a process that happened over the course of six years. Script issues were also a problem: at one point the story was going to be condensed to a single movie, but that was a mistake. Soderbergh didn’t like the idea of compression and characters being combined into one. He opted for a two-part film: Cuba and Bolivia.

I am a proponent of digital cinema and will always prefer it, so Che and the Digital Cinema Revolution! is what I found most interesting in the bonus features. Che was the first film to use the now-famous RED camera. Here, Soderbergh goes into detail about how he likes to shoot. He wants to decrease the time to start production, especially since his crew didn’t have a lot of time to do so. The first version of the camera was used and nbaturally, as is the vase with all new technologies, problems persisted. The outcome is phenomenal even with these problems. Soderbergh is, along with Michael Mann, David Fincher, and James Cameron, leading the digital revolution and the sooner it becomes the norm the better.

Last edited by AreaUnderTheCurve; 06-22-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #49815
Power Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellOilJunior View Post
Most Requested Criterion Blu (Cumulative) Over 1,400 requests in.
  • Badlands
  • Rashomon
  • A Man Escaped
  • Touch of Evil
  • Brazil
  • The BRD Trilogy
  • Stray Dog
  • Weekend
  • Le Petit Soldat
  • In the Mood for Love
  • Le Samourai
  • The Fountain
  • The Diving Bell and The Butterfly
  • Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
  • The Virgin Spring
  • The Cranes are Flying
  • Sisters
  • Persona
  • Berlin Alexanderplatz
  • Alice in the Cities
  • La Dolce Vita
  • Pi
Why do people keep voting for Badlands when they know it's Warner Bros.? Seems like wasted votes.
Adam: Why do you waste your time with that second-life bulls**t? Look at you. You're still in jail. You were in jail last week.
Jacob: Yeah, I'm a prisoner. It's called "doing hard time".
Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #49816
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

Quote:
I hate people that call themselves fans of a director but denounce his best films.
"Best" films are an opinion. People that are huge fans of filmmakers will most likely love the more "obscure" films more because they are probably sick and tired of the same ol'.

Also for example, someone who is a huge fan of say Fassbinder might believe Satan's Brew is one of his best films. "But no! You have to like The Marriage of Maria Braun the most!" doesn't sit right with me.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #49817
Power Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderBaby View Post
"Best" films are an opinion. People that are huge fans of filmmakers will most likely love the more "obscure" films more because they are probably sick and tired of the same ol'.

Also for example, someone who is a huge fan of say Fassbinder might believe Satan's Brew is one of his best films. "But no! You have to like The Marriage of Maria Braun the most!" doesn't sit right with me.
Agreed. Same thing with music: you get an album because the "big" song you heard, but after listening to it over and over on a daily basis you start to appreciate the deeper cuts more. But there are also people who rattled off more obscure titles to be obscure.
Adam: Why do you waste your time with that second-life bulls**t? Look at you. You're still in jail. You were in jail last week.
Jacob: Yeah, I'm a prisoner. It's called "doing hard time".
Old 06-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #49818
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsl76 View Post
In The Mood For Love is most definitely not OOP.
Yeah! It was my mistake. I got my copy back in 2003 but on Amazon.ca it's only been available from sellers, that is why I figured it was OOP
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
Old 06-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #49819
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
I enjoy movies from quite a very different group of directors (Lucas, Ozu, Kurosawa, Eiseinstein, Chaplin.....) but I would never make the claim that I like all the movies they have made. What is "the best film" by the way? It's all opinions. Some of their movies I consider some of the greatest movies ever made. Take my list and ask others here what they think of these movies and they may well say that they are junk.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #49820
Expert Member

Jan 2011
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEЯNOБLY! View Post
Why do people keep voting for Badlands when they know it's Warner Bros.? Seems like wasted votes.
To be fair, it's a wasted vote in an imaginary contest. So there's not much harm done.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors