COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.96
Dragonwolf (Blu-ray)
$18.20
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.92
To Love Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.49
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Old 06-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #61

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Watch Saving Private Ryan and you'll notice Spielberg's exact same style. Heavy grain with plenty of lens flare. I personally like that style, but that's just me.
I love that look, grain is holy

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
Dazed and Confused?
Exactly, another highly over-rated movie

Last edited by Scholer; 06-23-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #62
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009

I get so sick of the word overrated or hater or any other overused message board word. Anytime someone mentions something as being overrated that means its good or great. That applies especially in this thread.
Does it kill you to use a question mark when asking a question? -- O V N
Old 06-23-2012, 05:02 AM   #63
Power Member

Dec 2011
Westside, ATL, GA

Quote:
Say what? A dramatic classic and two sci-fi epics are overrated? There's also nothing wrong with the PQ on any of these BDs.
I did say "Not by much" though. But yeah I saw all of them for the first time last year and based on their reputation I thought they would be much more than they were. I enjoyed all but none of them were what people made them out to be.
"Any movie strong enough to give birth to an entire genre should be viewed as a masterpiece." - Quenton Watts

Last edited by Bluprint; 06-23-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:02 AM   #64
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
I get so sick of the word overrated or hater or any other overused message board word. Anytime someone mentions something as being overrated that means its good or great. That applies especially in this thread.
No, it means that person thinks the film got more praise than it deserves.

Like, I think Pulp Fiction is overrated, because I really hated it. But a lot of people and critics loved it, hence, overrated. I'd add The Dark Knight, Inception, Rushmore, Star Wars....
Old 06-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #65

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
The fact that everybody is critinqing a movie which at times is subjective does not make sense. Saying the dark knight or fellowship of the ring is overrated as a blu-ray is true though imo. Neither are impressive in terms of pq, especially LOTR. The Dark Knight is a great movie, imo but the terms of a blu-ray is not.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:11 AM   #66
Power Member

Dec 2011
Westside, ATL, GA
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmon77 View Post
terrible thread

blind hate

no critique
Blind hate! I see why Daredevil Billy would say that but not you man. Not you!
"Any movie strong enough to give birth to an entire genre should be viewed as a masterpiece." - Quenton Watts

Last edited by Bluprint; 06-23-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #67

Sep 2011
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by oly View Post
In terms of movies:

The Dark Knight had one thing going for it: Heath Ledger, other than that, it was absolutely horrible.

Inception.

The Avengers.

That's not really a good indicator. A lot of people on here would blind buy those types of movies just for the PQ and AQ because they're cheap. Sucker Punch was $5 not too long ago.

Are you being serious or joking?

If you're serious....why do you have every one of these terrible movies in your collection? Including two versions of Avatar

Avengers = not on Blu-ray yet

I'm starting to belive Blu-ray collecting is a legitimate addiction. People buy and keep movies they think are terrible.

Last edited by A.MONK; 06-23-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #68
Expert Member

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.MONK View Post
Are you being serious or joking?

If you're serious....why do you have everyone of these terrible movies in your collection? Including two versions of Avatar

Avengers = not on Blu-ray yet

I'm starting to belive Blu-ray collecting is a legitimate addiction. People buy and keep movies they think are terrible.
I blind buy a lot. I would buy a cheap BD with great PQ and AQ in a heartbeat to get the most out of my HT.
Avatar 3D was free with the Panny BD player I purchased.
I was talking about Avengers the movie, not the Blu.

Last edited by oly; 06-23-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #69

Jan 2011
Canada

I thought the PQ was garbage, Probs my most disappointing blu ray. Wasnt worth the double dip
Old 06-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #70

Aug 2010
Idaho

Is it just me or is there overwhelming Christopher Nolan hate on this thread? It seems like that has become a bandwagon recently.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #71

Sep 2011
California

Quote:
I blind buy a lot. I would buy a cheap BD with great PQ and AQ in a heartbeat to get the most out of my HT.
Avatar 3D was free with the Panny BD player I purchased.
I guess this is where I separate myself from folks here. I will not keep a movie in my collection that I consider terrible. I don't give damn how good the PQ is.

Quote:
I was talking about Avengers the movie, not the Blu.
Well the addition of Avengers was a little confusing considering the title of this thread.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #72

Sep 2011
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchman View Post
Is it just me or is there overwhelming Christopher Nolan hate on this thread? It seems like that has become a bandwagon recently.
You are correct. And I think it's often from a ridiculous allegiance with either Marvel or DC characters.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #73
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
I think a lot of movies are seriously overhyped, and I've avoided most of them, for various reasons. Here's a small list, just from the last few months...

Beauty and the Beast 3D
Red Tails
Underworld Awakening
Man on a Ledge
The Woman in Black
Star Wars: Episode I - the Phantom Menace 3D
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
John Carter
21 Jump Street
Titanic 3D
American Reunion
The Three Stooges
Dark Shadows
Snow White and the Huntsman
There may be a few more on the list, but the ones I highlighted actually flopped pretty badly at the box office and had a mediocre/bad response from critics and movie-goers. I'm not so sure I would consider them overrated. I'm contemplating if The Phantom Menace really belongs on the list, also. It was pretty hated.
PSN ID: GamerBoy14

VIZIO E420d-A0 42-inch 1080p 120Hz LED Smart 3D HDTV
250GB Slim PS3/500GB PS4
DirecTV Plus HR24 HD DVR
Sony HT-CT150 3D Sound Bar System
Old 06-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #74

Aug 2009
Denver, CO

Have to once again say for PQ, The Dark Knight (Fantastic film though). Not only is there the EE, frozen grain, and contrast boosting, but there are many instances of jagged edges (WB Logo, lines in Wayne's Underground Lair). It also (even in the nice-looking IMAX shots) looks very digital-y, almost like I'm watching a transfer-of-a-transfer, if that makes any sense .

I would take a softer, 2.35 constant transfer a la Batmin Begins, over TDK's mess any day.

Btw, I get IMAX transitions for big, encompassing action scenss or locations, but at least have purpose for the transitions (Why on Earth was there an IMAX shot of Luscious first giving his cell phone to the Chinese security guards?). I also absolutely hated how, mid-scene, we would switch back and forth and just wished that if it was an IMAX scene, the whole scene would stay in IMAX. This is total nit-picking of course, lol.

Last edited by alexroubaix; 06-23-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #75

Aug 2011

Overrated PQ based on reviews on this site:
The Mummy
Planet Earth
Jurassic Park Trilogy

These are the most disappointing purchases I've made in terms of PQ. The Mummy is a smoothed over mess. I actually had to put the dvd in after to see if there was a notable difference, there is but it is still a shockingly bad blu. The best film in the series with by far the worst PQ and it sucks even more because scenes from The Mummy are shown again in The Mummy Returns where they look stunning, showing just how good The Mummy could have looked.

Planet Earth is just completely inconsistent. After watching Life and hearing people say that Planet Earth was better I couldn't wait to see it but the picture quality is of a way lower standard. Excessive grain, overly soft at times, bad night shots, strobing and some parts clearly weren't even shot in HD. Slow mo shots that were amongst the most stunning in Life are often done here in SD making them wholly unremarkable. Several of these things are to do with the source but this doesn't stop it being a disappointing purchase after Life, a near perfect Blu Ray in terms of PQ.

And the Jurassic Park Trilogy. Mostly good, sometimes great and some scenes with terrible digital noise (in the first one notably). The problem here is that IT'S JURASSIC PARK. I expected (and I don't know why since Universal were doing it) top treatment for one of the most successful films of all time. The transfer showed a complete lack of respect for the consumer as Universal catalogue titles often do. People will buy it anyway so they don't need to put any effort in seems to be the attitude.

All these films got 4.5 PQ reviews on Blu-Ray.com

Oh and Fellowship of the Ring Theatrical Edition is also ridiculously bad considering the stature of the film.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #76
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Nov 2008
On the sofa

Based on this site: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/top.php?show=userrating looked at the first 60. Most would not make my top 100 list.

Overrated
Toy Story 3
Generation Kill
Pulp Fiction
Sin City
Lost
Real Steel
Kill Bill 1&2
Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol
Red Cliff 1&2
Up
Cars

I like those, and own most. Not bad BDs, but not perfect. Avatar should take the cake.
Unwatched Blu-rays: 27 Movies and 1 TV Series
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
Old 06-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #77
Special Member

Jul 2009
BC, Canada

Movie wise:

Star Wars
Watchmen (The only movie I regret buying)
Every single artsy-fartsy garbage movies people on here brag about

PQ/AQ wise, I can't really say. I had no problems with The Dark Knight transfer. It's still a great transfer, so I don't know why people keep *****ing about it.
GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vancouver Canucks fan till the day I die! The Cup WILL be ours very soon! Better believe it! Choke on it, haters!
GOLD CANADA GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DVD/Bluray collection: http://beefmaster10000.dvdaf.com/owned?rc=1
Old 06-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #78
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgon View Post
The blu-ray release of Captain America (1990) by Albert Pyun was WAY overrated, lol.
How can it be overrated when only 25 people know it even exists
Old 06-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #79
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009

Quote:

Another overrated piece of garbage is Sucker Punch.
I don't think you understand the term "overrated".
Old 06-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #80
Banned

Sep 2011
Scotland

I blame the marketing people, there are plenty of them here on this site, there are plenty clues to tell them apart from the real film fans.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America