Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
21 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$46.70
8 hrs ago
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
6 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Free Birds (Blu-ray)
$4.99
6 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 06-25-2012, 03:17 AM   #1

Feb 2012
Wisconsin
Default The Newsroom on HBO

I only watched the first 10 minutes of the season premiere (6/24/12) because I'm going to watch the full episode later with my brother, but I can already tell the show will be good... Aaron Sorkin is a genius!

Last edited by gilapimp; 08-06-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2011
Michigan

I'm very curious about this. Most of the reviews say it is a horrible show, which is unexpecting for Sorkin, but still most critics hate it...however, many who hate it are saying the opening scene is incredible.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 AM   #3

Feb 2012
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgeneral View Post
I'm very curious about this. Most of the reviews say it is a horrible show, which is unexpecting for Sorkin, but still most critics hate it...however, many who hate it are saying the opening scene is incredible.

I'm hoping it will be good, but the opening scene is what has me hooked so far and I haven't even seen the whole episode yet.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #4

May 2009

I thought it was pretty darn good. Seems very fast-paced but intense. I just hope Jeff Daniels' character cools off JUST a little bit
Old 06-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

"I was a marine and i will beat the **** out of you! I don't care how many protein bars you eat!" So many great lines in one episode. And holy **** was that thrilling television! Im all for the news being reformed and people opening their eyes so to see a show actually portray this and critique the dysfunctional news system just makes me happy. Godamn I love Newsroom! The dialogue, production, and relevance to do today's news and media is golden!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
KY

I'm going to watch it right now for free (cause I don't have HBO) on Dailymotion when I'm finished, I'll give my thoughts.
Jennifer Lawrence is like all UL's fans, proud to be a member of the ACC!!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

May 2007
I move around a lot.

Have it on DVR, hoping to watch it tonight.
PS3, 250 gig slim, 65" Mitsubishi - 1080p, Onkyo 706:
PSN ID - CYMBOL

MY LBP LEVELS - http://lbp.me/u/CYMBOL/levels
Old 06-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
Special Member

Jun 2012
Sweet home Alabama

I watched the first half hour last night and I was not impressed. The first 10 minutes were really good, and the rest of the show just didn't capture my attention.

The sad part is, I am an Aaron Sorkin fan but this show didn't do it for me. I always enjoyed The West Wing and was a faithful viewer, but I don't foresee myself watching this every week.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Montreal

I thought it was great.
Breaking Bad complete series Ultraviolet code 30$ PM ME!
MAIN
Samsung 52" 60 hz
Denon AVR 890
Polk 5.1 RM85
PS3 320GB Move bundle
OPPO-80 Region Free
Harmony One Remote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #10

Jun 2009

I enjoed it.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Florida

I found this frakking exhilarating.

Admittedly, I'm a little biased as I have actually worked for a news station (albeit a much smaller one ). This was pretty much a dream come true of how a news program should cover a major news event. I probably cheered about 50 times throughout the episode.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Old 06-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #12

Dec 2011
Boston

I thought it was really good. Sam Waterson's lines were the best and if you didn't laugh you have issues.

Critics are critics, they are losers in their dark rooms who make a living trashing people most of the time. Their writers who couldn't make it big on their own creativity so they had to resort to critiquing others. People need to form their own opinions and not listen to a bunch of smelly jerks. End of rant
"It's weird that people are saying Pioneer did something "wrong". Pioneer made the best plasmas on earth and consumers were too cheap to buy them. If anyone did something wrong, it's consumers who almost never fail to choose an inferior product when given a choice." -Gremal

I WILL BUY ANY SLIP COVERS OF THESE MOVIES!!!! List will always be updated
http://forum.blu-ray.com/5586125-post1497.html
Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

I don't get HBO either, so I'll check out the Pilot episode for free on YouTube at some point this week.

I'm glad HBO does this with their shows now so I can test shows I'm not completely sure about yet.
Last Watched: Haven: The Complete Third Season (Episodes 3 & 4) | Slap Shot | A Million Ways to Die in the West
Last Bought: True Detective: The Complete First Season
PSN ID: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12
Old 06-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #14

Aug 2009
Scotland

Never seen any of Sorkin's previous shows (I did see and really like Social Network though,) and I thought the pilot episode was very good, very fast paced with lots of good dialogue. I won't say in case its considered spoiler, but I like how the news content is being handled.
My Movies & TV Show discussion group on Facebook. Collecting talk welcome: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ReAssembled.Movies/

My youtube channel where I post movie vlogs, show off my collection and post the podcast(s) I'm involved with (also on iTunes.) http://www.youtube.com/user/wooble89
Old 06-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #15

Aug 2007
Lake Tahoe/ SF Bay

Just finished the pilot and really enjoyed it. It was a quick hour and 15 minutes. Great dialogue and fast paced. And yeah, as others have said, the first 10 minutes was great!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:45 AM   #16
Power Member

Dec 2009
Singapore
-

I enjoyed the series a lot. It is actually more witty than I expected it to be. Surprised me to see that there is a love story brewing between the two leads. Quite a big fan of Emily Mortimer - can be smart, quirky and beautiful.

However, I do think that there was a little too much crammed into the pilot and as a result came off as a little preachy. Should have spaced it out to be a two hour pilot perhaps?
Setup: Sony 32'' LCD, Sony Playstation 3, Sony BDV-E800W 5.1 Wireless Blu-ray Home Theater system.

My budding movie-review blog. Do provide comments that would help me improve.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

I am struggling to make it through this on the DVR. I hadn't seen any of Sorkin's stuff on a regular basis, and I knew he had "a way" with words, but the sheer amount of dialogue in the show is beginning to test my patience. I could also do without
[Show spoiler]Karen...Maggie Margaret
so far. I do like Daniels and Waterston a lot though, so I will complete the pilot ASAP and probably give it 1-2 more episodes to get better.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 06-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #18

Nov 2010

It's pretty standard Sorkin... You've got smart people working somewhere trying to do the "right" thing. You've got the old timers who are the best at what they do, and the smartest of the future generation, learning how to be the best in order to take over when the old guys aren't around anymore. You've got the rapid fire dialogue. You've got the Sorkany style of preaching.

It's pretty much all the same as it was when it started in the 1998 TV comedy turned drama, "Sports Night."

And I'll probably keep watching until the day Sorkin stops writing. It is, at the very least, better than Studio 60... and I loved Studio 60.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Sep 2006

Me and the wife enjoyed it. As others have mentioned, it felt really fast paced and the dialog was perfect. Really enjoyed this episode and we will be seeing what happens next. Of course, the best part was the rant at the beginning...

[Show spoiler]Just in case you accidentally wander into a voting booth one day, there are some things you should know, and one of them is that there is absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we’re the greatest country in the world. We’re seventh in literacy, twenty-seventh in math, twenty-second in science, forty-ninth in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, third in median household income, number four in labor force, and number four in exports. We lead the world in only three categories: number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, and defense spending, where we spend more than the next twenty-six countries combined, twenty-five of whom are allies. None of this is the fault of a 20-year-old college student, but you, nonetheless, are without a doubt, a member of the WORST-period-GENERATION-period-EVER-period, so when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I don’t know what the **** you’re talking about?! Yosemite?!!!

We sure used to be. We stood up for what was right! We fought for moral reasons, we passed and struck down laws for moral reasons. We waged wars on poverty, not poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were, and we never beat our chest. We built great big things, made ungodly technological advances, explored the universe, cured diseases, and cultivated the world’s greatest artists and the world’s greatest economy. We reached for the stars, and we acted like men. We aspired to intelligence; we didn’t belittle it; it didn’t make us feel inferior. We didn’t identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election, and we didn’t scare so easy. And we were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed. By great men, men who were revered. The first step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one—America is not the greatest country in the world anymore.

My only fear is that Sorkin won't be writing every episode, and thus, the whitty dialog will suffer.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Florida

No need to worry on that front. It appears Aaron Sorkin is credited as writing each episode.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows