COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.78
Moms' Night Out (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Futurama: Volume 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Complete Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$26.99
True Romance (Blu-ray)
$4.75
The Musketeers: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Despicable Me 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #12021
Snowmaker Snowmaker is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Snowmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Michigan
444
209
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Warner Home Video has announced that The Lord of the Rings: Extended Editions will finally be available on 8/28 as Blu-ray singles (SRP $34.99 each). The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King will each be released as 5-disc sets that include the extended film split over 2 BD discs, along with 3 DVDs containing the Appendices discs and the Costa Botes documentaries. Note that these sets do not appear to include Digital Copy versions.
The SRP is what I paid for the whole trilogy.

Plus, you remove the outer box and BAM!, individual movies.
"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."- Tyler Durden
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #12022
Petra_Kalbrain Petra_Kalbrain is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Petra_Kalbrain's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC
510
3
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
The SRP is what I paid for the whole trilogy.

Plus, you remove the outer box and BAM!, individual movies.
This is exactly why I don't understand what WB was thinking with these individual releases. Anyone who wants all 3 are getting the exact same thing without the outer box for a higher price overall. I guess there are some who will just want 1 or 2 of the EE. Just wanting 1 makes sense to buy the individual release. But, honestly, how many do they honestly think will sell like that? I'm guessing very few actually will. And, if anyone wants 2 of the 3, they might as well just buy the boxset and take out the ones they want to keep and put those on their shelf.

The only way these would be worth doing individually is to make some drastic changes to them to make them really unique from what's in the boxset. As is, there is NOTHING unique aside from the lack of a box.

This move by WB makes absolutely no business sense to me whatsoever.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #12023
AreaUnderTheCurve AreaUnderTheCurve is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
AreaUnderTheCurve's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
77
6
1
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
This is exactly why I don't understand what WB was thinking with these individual releases. Anyone who wants all 3 are getting the exact same thing without the outer box for a higher price overall. I guess there are some who will just want 1 or 2 of the EE. Just wanting 1 makes sense to buy the individual release. But, honestly, how many do they honestly think will sell like that? I'm guessing very few actually will. And, if anyone wants 2 of the 3, they might as well just buy the boxset and take out the ones they want to keep and put those on their shelf.
I know someone who thinks Fellowship is the only good entry in the series. He'll likely pick up the individual release.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #12024
Petra_Kalbrain Petra_Kalbrain is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Petra_Kalbrain's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC
510
3
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaUnderTheCurve View Post
I know someone who thinks Fellowship is the only good entry in the series. He'll likely pick up the individual release.
Like I said, there will obviously be individual sales. But how many do you think they can sell lime that? I doubt they'll recover the cost of production for 1 title with the individual sales for all 3 entries combined.

What about people who want 2 of the 3? You think they'll pay the same price (or more) for those individually as compared to the boxset which they can easily conver to their desired 2 individual releases for the same price (or cheaper) simply by taking the 2 of them out of the boxset and putting those on their shelf? They are the exact same discs for each film as in the boxset.

From a business perspective, this move just baffles me. They can't possibly stand to gain anything except taking away from revenue earned through boxse sales since individual sell-through will be minimalistic.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #12025
TruBlu06 TruBlu06 is offline
Senior Member
 
TruBlu06's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Land of Lincoln, USA
360
44
4
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
Like I said, there will obviously be individual sales. But how many do you think they can sell lime that? I doubt they'll recover the cost of production for 1 title with the individual sales for all 3 entries combined.

What about people who want 2 of the 3? You think they'll pay the same price (or more) for those individually as compared to the boxset which they can easily conver to their desired 2 individual releases for the same price (or cheaper) simply by taking the 2 of them out of the boxset and putting those on their shelf? They are the exact same discs for each film as in the boxset.

From a business perspective, this move just baffles me. They can't possibly stand to gain anything except taking away from revenue earned through boxse sales since individual sell-through will be minimalistic.
The only reason I can think of is possibly they're trying to introduce new viewers to the trilogy with the option of buying just one installment. However, if someone hasn't seen the Lord of the Rings and doesn't know anything about it, they must have been living under a rock for the past ten years.
"I do not think much of a man who is no wiser today than he was yesterday." Abraham Lincoln
"Never, Never, Never Give Up." Winston Churchill
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #12026
Petra_Kalbrain Petra_Kalbrain is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Petra_Kalbrain's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC
510
3
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu06 View Post
The only reason I can think of is possibly they're trying to introduce new viewers to the trilogy with the option of buying just one installment. However, if someone hasn't seen the Lord of the Rings and doesn't know anything about it, they must have been living under a rock for the past ten years.
Again, a reason that makes no sense from a business point of view. The only people who haven't seen LOTR were extremely young children at the time. By now, their parents would likely have got them to watch the films.

It just seems to me to invest so much time and energy getting the 3 films ready for individual releases when the returns will obviously be so low.

Then again, never underestimate the stupidity of the masses when it comes to spending their money.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #12027
MacEachaidh MacEachaidh is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
MacEachaidh's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc
607
26
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaUnderTheCurve View Post
I know someone who thinks Fellowship is the only good entry in the series. He'll likely pick up the individual release.
I can understand someone preferring one film out of the three, but to only want to own and watch one? That makes no sense to me.

There's no "story so far" recaps, and each of the first two films ends on a clear "to be continued" note. How would the story of just one, or even two, of the three films in isolation be dramatically satisfying or make any real sense?

They're an actual trilogy, not franchises like, say, Spiderman or The Mummy, where there are continuing characters and backward references but each film has a stand-alone plot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #12028
bluejays999 bluejays999 is offline
Member
 
Sep 2011
4
Default

I wondering if Warner will try to triple dip and quadruple dip. Once for The Hobbit part 1 and again for the Hobbit part 2 then maybe even one more time for the extended cut all on one disc.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #12029
AreaUnderTheCurve AreaUnderTheCurve is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
AreaUnderTheCurve's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
77
6
1
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
I can understand someone preferring one film out of the three, but to only want to own and watch one? That makes no sense to me.
His view is that Jackson became too self-indulgent with the sequels. He has seen them, so there's really no reason to buy all three to get the complete story when he knows how it ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
What about people who want 2 of the 3? You think they'll pay the same price (or more) for those individually as compared to the boxset which they can easily conver to their desired 2 individual releases for the same price (or cheaper) simply by taking the 2 of them out of the boxset and putting those on their shelf? They are the exact same discs for each film as in the boxset.
I'm not sure if this has crossed your mind, but some people may not have the money to get the entire box set at once and would rather buy them individually as the money comes into their hands. Sure, you can say "wait until you have the money to get the entire set." But some people don't want to wait and may not even know how long that will take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
Then again, never underestimate the stupidity of the masses when it comes to spending their money.
Well, I think it's good that you're calling people stupid for not doing what you think is the right move with their money. I guess they have a lot of money on their hands to nearly have 500 Blu-rays.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #12030
Petra_Kalbrain Petra_Kalbrain is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Petra_Kalbrain's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC
510
3
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays999 View Post
I wondering if Warner will try to triple dip and quadruple dip. Once for The Hobbit part 1 and again for the Hobbit part 2 then maybe even one more time for the extended cut all on one disc.
What is it about this concept that people don't understand? If you put the extended film on a single disc each they will look worse than almost EVERY other shitty transfer BD on the market due to compression artifacting and softness resulting from the necessary dramatic drop in Mbps.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #12031
NYorker NYorker is offline
Expert Member
 
Sep 2009
Europe
39
Send a message via Yahoo to NYorker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays999 View Post
I wondering if Warner will try to triple dip and quadruple dip. Once for The Hobbit part 1 and again for the Hobbit part 2 then maybe even one more time for the extended cut all on one disc.
I think they'll be at least twice more:

An "ultimate Hobbit box" containing all the movies & extras and
the same thing...in 3D, somewhere down the line. Of course, not before LOTR 3D is released theatrically...

WB sure knows how to try and milk lots of $ for films they had nothing to do with...
Panasonic plasma 60ST60
PS3 120 GB
Tannoy Mercury V4
Monitor Audio MSW10
Pioneer VSX-521
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #12032
Petra_Kalbrain Petra_Kalbrain is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Petra_Kalbrain's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC
510
3
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaUnderTheCurve View Post
Well, I think it's good that you're calling people stupid for not doing what you think is the right move with their money. I guess they have a lot of money on their hands to nearly have 500 Blu-rays.
I'm talking about all of those people who we both know will buy all 3 individual releases at $25 each within the firs 2 weeks of them being available when the boxset is $50 at most places these days. Would you not classify those people as a bit on the stupid side since they are paying more for the exact same thing they would get with the boxset but without the nice box to contain them all in?
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #12033
AreaUnderTheCurve AreaUnderTheCurve is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
AreaUnderTheCurve's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
77
6
1
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays999 View Post
I wondering if Warner will try to triple dip and quadruple dip. Once for The Hobbit part 1 and again for the Hobbit part 2 then maybe even one more time for the extended cut all on one disc.
Here. I am posting this data again. These bitrates will not be sustained if the full movie is on a single disc, especially Return of the King.

FotR Part I



Fotr Part 2



TTT Part 1



TTT Part 2



RotK Part 1



RotK Part 2

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #12034
ACMutd ACMutd is offline
Expert Member
 
ACMutd's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Lothlórien
5
151
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaUnderTheCurve View Post
Here. I am posting this data again. These bitrates will not be sustained if the full movie is on a single disc, especially Return of the King.

-imgsnip-
Would they look better if they were on 4 discs instead of 2?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #12035
Petra_Kalbrain Petra_Kalbrain is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Petra_Kalbrain's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC
510
3
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMutd View Post
Would they look better if they were on 4 discs instead of 2?
With some extra work done to them... yes actually, they could. But the difference wouldn't be worth the effort. Going the other way though would be detrimentally noticeable in a reduction of quality.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #12036
kemcha kemcha is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
kemcha's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Michigan, USA
71
56
18
26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu06 View Post
However, if someone hasn't seen the Lord of the Rings and doesn't know anything about it, they must have been living under a rock for the past ten years.
I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at your comment. Don't be offended by my humor because I know a lot of people who still haven't seen Star Wars. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who haven't seen Star Wars and that same argument exists for the Lord of the Rings films.

Not everyone has seen or heard of either film series ... it doesn't mean that they're living under a rock either. I just think that's a misleading comment.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #12037
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks™--------->118 UV-------->247
36
1629
124
131
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at your comment. Don't be offended by my humor because I know a lot of people who still haven't seen Star Wars. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who haven't seen Star Wars and that same argument exists for the Lord of the Rings films.

Not everyone has seen or heard of either film series ... it doesn't mean that they're living under a rock either. I just think that's a misleading comment.
I'm the same way with most R & B, rap, and pop singers. I didn't know who Shakira was until a year or so ago.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #12038
Brightstar Brightstar is offline
Power Member
 
Brightstar's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
4
Default

when the Hobbit does hit blu ray part one and two is it worth having a marathon ? starting with the Hobbit right the way through ROTK ?
What are you? I'm Batman
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #12039
Ugly Pig Ugly Pig is offline
Expert Member
 
May 2009
89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliefan View Post
when the Hobbit does hit blu ray part one and two is it worth having a marathon ? starting with the Hobbit right the way through ROTK ?
Too. Early. To. Tell.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #12040
Petra_Kalbrain Petra_Kalbrain is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Petra_Kalbrain's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC
510
3
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliefan View Post
when the Hobbit does hit blu ray part one and two is it worth having a marathon ? starting with the Hobbit right the way through ROTK ?
I would assume yes. I'm certain that Peter Jackson is going to try and make them all flow together nicely.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:12 AM.