Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Three's Company: The Complete Series (DVD)
$64.49
Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey (DVD)
$19.99
Murder in Suburbia Complete Collection (DVD)
$32.49
Royal Pains: Season Five (DVD)
$24.49
Elvira's Movie Macabre: The Coffin Collection (DVD)
$45.49
Defiance: Season Two (DVD)
$34.99
The Civil War (DVD)
$44.49
The Thick of It: Seasons 1-4 (DVD)
$43.99
Rizzoli & Isles: The Complete Fourth Season (DVD)
$15.00
Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon (DVD)
$13.99
The Addams Family: Complete Series (DVD)
$23.49
Planet Earth (DVD)
$19.96
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit: The Fifteenth Year (DVD)
$28.99
Treme: The Complete Fourth Season (DVD)
$20.99
To Be Takei (DVD)
$10.49
Murder, She Wrote: Season Eleven (DVD)
$20.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 06-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
Expert Member

Jul 2009
Default The Wonder Years On DVD?

Are we ever going to see this show on DVD? I think I remember them not getting the rights to the theme song, that's why it never came out on DVD? If this is the case, what's so special about the theme song? Is it owned by a band?
TV Sony 40" 1080P KDL-40SL150
SOUND SYSTEM DENON 2313CI
SPEAKERS KLIPSCH RC500 CENTER CHANNEL
KLIPSCH RF600B TOWERS KLIPSCH RS400 SURROUNDS
SUB SVS PB-1000
BLU-RAY PLAYER PS3 120GB Slim With 1 1TB EXTERNAL HD & 1 2TB EXTERNAL HD
BLU-RAYS 386 & Counting
200 Blu-Ray's Collection Milestone Aug 31, 2011
Old 06-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
Kansas City, MO

They had a lot of music that would make it expensive to produce. But it is on Netflix and Amazon with adjusted soundtracks, so maybe one day?

And the theme was a cover of a Beatles song.
Falcons: 2-6* | Mercer: 5-4 (1-4) | Georgia Tech: 6-2 (3-2) | BDs For Sale/Trade | PSN: ArsSycro | XBone: Ars Sycro
Old 06-25-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2007
USA

this and Batman 1966 may never happen
"I am jw and I approve this message
Old 06-25-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
Expert Member

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycro View Post
They had a lot of music that would make it expensive to produce. But it is on Netflix and Amazon with adjusted soundtracks, so maybe one day?

And the theme was a cover of a Beatles song.
You would think they would make a deal on a % sales of the dvd's sales, instead of demanding money upfront.
SUB SVS PB-1000
BLU-RAYS 386 & Counting
Old 06-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayjunkie View Post
You would think they would make a deal on a % sales of the dvd's sales, instead of demanding money upfront.
Unfortunately, that's not how sync licenses or master recording licenses typically work. Wonder Years would need both licenses - one from the song's publisher and one from the record label that owns the actual sound recording copyright - to include any song on a DVD release.

With all the pop music from the '60s they used on the show, that could get really costly, really quick.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Expert Member

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
Unfortunately, that's not how sync licenses or master recording licenses typically work. Wonder Years would need both licenses - one from the song's publisher and one from the record label that owns the actual sound recording copyright - to include any song on a DVD release.

With all the pop music from the '60s they used on the show, that could get really costly, really quick.
You make a good point. I was only thinking of the theme song, and not songs that maybe in an episode.

With all these problems, you think you would wonder how they got the rights to the music in the first place.
SUB SVS PB-1000
BLU-RAYS 386 & Counting
Old 06-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
Expert Member

Jul 2008
-

AFAIK, there's only one officially produced Wonder Years DVD, and this is it. As others mentioned, it's available on Netflix with an adjusted soundtrack. I don't think this will ever get released on DVD
Old 06-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2007
Iowa

Quote:
You make a good point. I was only thinking of the theme song, and not songs that maybe in an episode.

With all these problems, you think you would wonder how they got the rights to the music in the first place.
Home video didn't become a major revenue source until the last decade. Nobody was thinking about licensing music for home video use back when shows like The Wonder Years were made, which has led to shows like The Wonder Years not being released or shows like WKRP in Cincinnati being released with completely different music than it's original airing. Now virtually all shows being made will have the music licensed for home video use when they initially license the music for the show.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:

Well, they paid for the songs when the shows originally aired, but nobody was thinking of home video releases of TV shows back then. So they likely had nothing negotiated for VHS or future formats (VHS, blu, etc). Which is why they'd now have to go back and pay again to license all the songs they used for broadcast, if they wanted to release these episodes intact on DVD.

Also, it was FAR cheaper to license tracks from '60s artists back then, because most of their careers were pretty much over, and the nostalgia wave was just beginning. For a lot of those musicians, any money was better than no money, especially when a lot of them were struggling to make a living. Now, they have a lot more clout and can ask for a lot more money. Baby boomers pay through the nose to see "re-united" '60s bands in concerts, most of which feature (maybe) one originally member...

But that's a rant for another day...
Old 06-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
Expert Member

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatediesel View Post
Home video didn't become a major revenue source until the last decade. Nobody was thinking about licensing music for home video use back when shows like The Wonder Years were made, which has led to shows like The Wonder Years not being released or shows like WKRP in Cincinnati being released with completely different music than it's original airing. Now virtually all shows being made will have the music licensed for home video use when they initially license the music for the show.
Well what do ya know, ya learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info.
SUB SVS PB-1000
BLU-RAYS 386 & Counting
Old 06-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Expert Member

Jul 2009

Quote:
Well, they paid for the songs when the shows originally aired, but nobody was thinking of home video releases of TV shows back then. So they likely had nothing negotiated for VHS or future formats (VHS, blu, etc). Which is why they'd now have to go back and pay again to license all the songs they used for broadcast, if they wanted to release these episodes intact on DVD.

Also, it was FAR cheaper to license tracks from '60s artists back then, because most of their careers were pretty much over, and the nostalgia wave was just beginning. For a lot of those musicians, any money was better than no money, especially when a lot of them were struggling to make a living. Now, they have a lot more clout and can ask for a lot more money. Baby boomers pay through the nose to see "re-united" '60s bands in concerts, most of which feature (maybe) one originally member...

But that's a rant for another day...
It's amazing how greedy people can be these days
SUB SVS PB-1000
BLU-RAYS 386 & Counting
Old 06-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
It's amazing how greedy people can be these days
Considering how much these artists were ripped off back in the day, (for me at least) it's nice to see them finally get paid for their art. It's just unfortunate for fans of older TV shows that used a lot of pop music...
Old 06-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #13

Nov 2009
Liverpool, Uk

Is it right about a Hendrix song being missing from the Forrest Gump soundtrack for the same reason?

I loved The wonder Years when I was a kid. I think the theme tune would really be a miss not to be on any home release. Maybe one day. .

Last edited by RuLeX; 06-26-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:59 AM   #14

May 2009
New Zealand

Would this show be any good to watch as a first time viewer? or would it have aged really badly?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:16 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
Greensburg, Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
Would this show be any good to watch as a first time viewer? or would it have aged really badly?
It's absolutely amazing. I'd be hard-pressed to believe you'd be disappointed.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

May 2011
Desert

at least its on netflix, i watch at least 2+ episodes a day
---TV's---
Vizio 47"-M470SL
Toshiba 40"-40RV525R
Vizio 32" -VO320E

---BD Players---
Panasonic DMP-BD60
PS3 Slim 120gb
Old 06-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
Since it's a period show, it doesn't really age as badly as other '80s TV shows.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
Expert Member

Mar 2008
Windy Valley, CA

Quote:
Since it's a period show, it doesn't really age as badly as other '80s TV shows.
I agree. I've been watching for the first time these last couple of weeks and I've just finished season 1. It definitely feels like its from another time in TV production, but because it's a period piece IMO it adds to the feel.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #19

Jan 2011
USA

More must be going on behind the scenes than just music licensing problems. Other shows that have highly recognizable music have been released. One show in particular catches my attention: Miami Vice. That show had a ton of high-profile radio hits throughout it's airing and it wasn't too stalled for a home video release. Perhaps Universal was just more willing to front the cost and get it released?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies