Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Slipcovers

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Special Member

Oct 2010
Thunder Bay, ON, Canada
-
-
Canada "Happy Canada Day weekend!" *LOTR: The Return of the King w/ slipcover GIVEAWAY!!!*

The birthday of my home country is this coming Sunday, so in celebration, I've decided to do a giveaway!

I'll be giving away one BRAND NEW and SEALED copy of the Alliance edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King complete with "rare" slipcover!

Before I get to the fun part, there's one very specific rule: You have to be a regular name throughout the slipcover forum or at least familiar around this site. I won't be sending this out to Joe Blow who has a total of 2 posts, one being in the slipcover forum asking how much blah-blah-blah is worth and the other being in the Trading Forum selling blah-blah-blah for two bazillion dollars... plus $100 shipping and PayPal fees. Basically, if I don't recognize you, you won't be entered into the draw. I'm sorry, but I feel like I'm doing something nice here and I don't want to give my item away to someone who's just going to turn around and make a profit off it. It has to be to someone I trust.

Now, to the FUN part!

To enter, all you have to do is reply in this thread with answers to the following four questions...

1) What's your favourite Canadian film and why?
2) Who's your favourite Canadian actor/actress/director and why?
3) What's your favourite Canadian exclusive Blu-ray and why?
4) What's a verse from the Canadian national anthem?

There ya go, peeps! Reply and answer those questions and this...

could be yours!!!

I'll randomly be drawing a lucky winner's name on either July 2nd (late in the day) or early July 3rd. This is completely FREE to the winner! I'm gonna scrape up some couch change and package and ship it to the winner for nothing. Best of luck, everyone!

------------------------

#1 - UUUUGGGGHHHH
#2 - G:Box
#3 - biscuitnoir
#4 - kryptonite1970
#5 - NickMate
#6 - deltasun
#7 - Xboxbydegrees
#8 - PrivatePixel
#9 - chantm
#10 - hidef_al
#11 - Petra_Kalbrain
#12 - basketb

Last edited by tridon; 07-03-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Metro Detroit Area

This (and the other two Lord of the Rings slipcovers) are EASILY three of the nicest slipcovers you will ever see. The embossing is absolutely amazing and the whole slipcover has a metallic look to it that is gorgeous. I've yet to see pictures that do justice to these slips.

Nice of you to offer this up, Tridon.

Okay I'll be honest, I was a little confused by "favorite Canadian film." Does this mean favorite film set in Canada? Filmed in Canada? Directed by a Canadian director? Entirely produced by a Canadian crew, in Canada? Assuming you meant the latter, although it's tough coming up with an answer to that. I had to do some Googling, because it's tough to know that information off the top of your head.

1) I obviously didn't dig very far into the past to come up with this answer, but I'm going to say "Goon." I'm not even a huge hockey fan but this movie was great. I love Seann William Scott and thought he was great in his role, and the same goes for Liev Schrieber and Jay Baruchel.

2) Jim Carrey. Hands down. "Dumb & Dumber" is still my favorite movie of all time, and it's entirely due to Jim Carrey. He is absolutely hilarious, and he's an excellent dramatic actor as well. Love this freakin' guy.

3) I guess I'll be cliched here and say the Future Shop Exclusive "Iron Man" SteelBook. I still don't own one (and most likely never will) but I love this film, and I think the SteelBook looks great. I own the Korean SteelBook for "Iron Man 2" and I'd love this one to go along side it. Sad I'll never own it, but oh well. I also think the Vancouver Olympics set that was released in Canada is really cool and I wish I could have snagged it for $10 at HMV when I was in Canada but they were all sold out of the Blu-ray version.

4) With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Special Member

Oct 2010
Thunder Bay, ON, Canada
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUUUGGGGHHHH View Post
This (and the other two Lord of the Rings slipcovers) are EASILY three of the nicest slipcovers you will ever see. The embossing is absolutely amazing and the whole slipcover has a metallic look to it that is gorgeous. I've yet to see pictures that do justice to these slips.

Nice of you to offer this up, Tridon.

Okay I'll be honest, I was a little confused by "favorite Canadian film." Does this mean favorite film set in Canada? Filmed in Canada? Directed by a Canadian director? Entirely produced by a Canadian crew, in Canada? Assuming you meant the latter, although it's tough coming up with an answer to that. I had to do some Googling, because it's tough to know that information off the top of your head.

1) I obviously didn't dig very far into the past to come up with this answer, but I'm going to say "Goon." I'm not even a huge hockey fan but this movie was great. I love Seann William Scott and thought he was great in his role, and the same goes for Liev Schrieber and Jay Baruchel.

2) Jim Carrey. Hands down. "Dumb & Dumber" is still my favorite movie of all time, and it's entirely due to Jim Carrey. He is absolutely hilarious, and he's an excellent dramatic actor as well. Love this freakin' guy.

3) I guess I'll be cliched here and say the Future Shop Exclusive "Iron Man" SteelBook. I still don't own one (and most likely never will) but I love this film, and I think the SteelBook looks great. I own the Korean SteelBook for "Iron Man 2" and I'd love this one to go along side it. Sad I'll never own it, but oh well. I also think the Vancouver Olympics set that was released in Canada is really cool and I wish I could have snagged it for $10 at HMV when I was in Canada but they were all sold out of the Blu-ray version.

4) With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
All answers look good to me!

As for the Canadian film, I meant a film that was shot in Canada with a (mostly) Canadian crew (i.e. Goon, Hobo With a Shotgun, Fido, etc.). I'd take either that or takes place in Canada, though!

Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
-

Sweet!

1) Polytechnique, very emotional and interesting due to it being in black and white.

2) Actor - Ryan Gosling, due to his dynamic range of roles
Actress - Racheal McAdams, cuz she be HOT
Director - Atom Egoyan, for his ability to make masterpieces with low budgets.

3) Well as far as packaging, I'll say Green Lantern: Emerald Knights Futureshop Exclusive
As far as film and availability: Mr. Nobody, best PQ, AQ and one of my favorite 5 films ever!

4) The True North strong and free!

Loving the complexity of the giveaway and it's questions, good job bro!

Last edited by G:Box; 06-27-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #5

Aug 2011
Montreal, QC, Canada

Very generous of you, that one is a beauty, The Fellowship of the Ring is by far my favorite embossed slip!

So to answer your questions:

1) C.R.A.Z.Y. Quebec movie, very nice drama and kick-ass soundtrack!

2) Michael J. Fox, no doubt about that!

3) I would have said "Wall-E steelbook" but that's also shared with Best Buy in the US, so I'll have to go with Woman in Black Future Shop slipcover.

4) O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
biscuitnoir's slips & movies collection for sale Here
My steelbooks haves/wants Here

Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
USA

Here are some random answers...

1. A Dangerous Method; South Park (does it count?)- interesting set of characters.
2. Kristin Kreuk (she's hot!)
3. FutureShop exclusive Harry Potter films including the shelf...unique way of presenting the characters of the films.
4. Canada!
Terre de nos aeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!

Last edited by kryptonite1970; 06-27-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Special Member

Oct 2010
Thunder Bay, ON, Canada
-
-

Great answers, everyone!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Beyond the horizon

Really love these LOTR slips so ill give it a go.

Favourite CA Film:
Meatballs: a classic comedy which I love to watch every now and then. With Bill Murray, you couldn't possible go wrong. A true comedy classic.

Favourite CA Actor:
Hayden Christensen: While I love Jim Carry and M.J Fox, I have to give this guy credit. He was great in both Attack of the Clones and Reveneg of the Sith, giving a great portrayal of a Jedi torn between the good and dark side. He was also very good in Jumper which was a nice popcorn film and especially in Awake which I want to re-watch. I hope he does more films (hopefully no more Star Wars)

Favourite CA Exclusive:
Hands down has to be Drive. My first Canadian Exclusive slipcover and a total blind buy. The film turned out to be a major like for me and I have never greeted blind buying it. The slipcover is simply stunning, the ammount of detail is just insane and really makes up for the price. I will keep this for a long time regardless if it becomes super rare.

Canadian Anthem Line:
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
WTB:
Standard Blu's: Finding Nemo (non 3D with slip), same for Brave. Cars 2 3D with all discs. Disney 3D releases (G-Force, Chicken Run, Little and Meet the Robinsons etc.). Beauty and the Beast Xmas with slip.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2011
5593 ft above sea level

Thanks, tridon! Here are my offerings...

1) Favorite Canadian Film
Late 90's film called The Red Violin. A very interesting journey surroundin this particular violin.

2) Favorite Canadian Actor

Leslie Nielsen. Had a great string of comedies.

3) Favorite Canadian Exclusive
I really like the exclusive Drive with scorpion slipcover. It's just unique and much better in person.

4) Canadian Anthem Line

With glowing hearts we see thee rise
Wait a minute, we were stuck in a blender and now we're saving lives? WHAT?!?

deltasun's sell/trade thread; For Sale: Captain Phillips (slip, BD/DVD), The Muppets (Wocka x 2) -- $13 ea; The Collection, The Iceman -- $10 ea.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #10

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

This is such a cool idea and very generous of you! Nicely done and let us know who the winner is!
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Valab/King

Old 06-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
Special Member

Oct 2010
Thunder Bay, ON, Canada
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
This is such a cool idea and very generous of you! Nicely done and let us know who the winner is!
Thanks, man! I figured it was about time I truly gave back to the community. Canada Day seemed like the perfect opportunity.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
N.E. Ohio

1. Quest for Fire: classic 80's film
2. I was going to say MJF but since he has been picked, I'll pick Margot Kidder. She was in a little classic movie about a super hero.
3. Sin City or Woman in Black: Pretty easy to figure out why.
4. The True North strong and free!

Old 06-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Special Member

Oct 2010
Thunder Bay, ON, Canada
-
-

BUMP!

Come on peeps... you only have this weekend to enter!!!

Old 06-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
USA

only 8 peeps chimed in? our chances of winning will be better...

Old 06-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
Special Member

Oct 2010
Thunder Bay, ON, Canada
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite1970 View Post
only 8 peeps chimed in? our chances of winning will be better...
8 chimed in, but only 7 entered... so now your chances are even better than you originally thought!

Old 06-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Boston suburbs

1) What's your favourite Canadian film and why?
Crash (1996): it features one of my favourite actors (James Spader) in a film directed by Cronenberg. I consider this one of his more accessible titles.

2) Who's your favourite Canadian actor/actress/director and why?
Michael J. Fox. From "Family Ties" to the "Back To The Future" trilogy to his foundation, he is one of the more accomplished actors of my generation.

3) What's your favourite Canadian exclusive Blu-ray and why?
The Future Shop "Drive" slipcover: puts all of the other releases to shame.

4) What's a verse from the Canadian national anthem?
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

PSN/Battlelog/Xbox Live: ▌۩▐ PrivatePixel
Pioneer Elite || Definitive Technology

"Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones." - Bertrand Russell

Old 06-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridon View Post
8 chimed in, but only 7 entered... so now your chances are even better than you originally thought!
now, it's 8 again...

Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #18
Special Member

Oct 2010
Thunder Bay, ON, Canada
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite1970 View Post
now, it's 8 again...

And he put a Canadian emoticon in his post! Could mean an auto-win!
[Show spoiler]just kidding

Old 06-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Beyond the horizon

Quote:

And he put a Canadian emoticon in his post! Could mean an auto-win!
Haha you had me going for a second.
How are you going to draw the winner???
WTB:
Standard Blu's: Finding Nemo (non 3D with slip), same for Brave. Cars 2 3D with all discs. Disney 3D releases (G-Force, Chicken Run, Little and Meet the Robinsons etc.). Beauty and the Beast Xmas with slip.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
USA

Quote:

and he put a canadian emoticon in his post! Could mean an auto-win!
trophy-1302.gif

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Slipcovers