Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$55.95
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Red Cliff Part I & II (Blu-ray)
$13.39
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.91
McLintock! (Blu-ray)
$10.20
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks

Old 06-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #61

May 2011
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieb1971 View Post
Lie.

5 items of steelbooks = 5 items of cheap ass DVD's on the custom form.

Myself. 5 steelbooks would = 5 x $5 = $25 = nothing to worry about.
It's the right idea unfortunately $25 is over the current £15 customs limit ($23.57 at this months HMRC rate) so to be safe I'd go for 5 x $4.50.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #62
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyone View Post
It's the right idea unfortunately $25 is over the current £15 customs limit ($23.57 at this months HMRC rate) so to be safe I'd go for 5 x $4.50.
If marked gift, doesn't your allowance go up to the $150 circa mark that i said? After all, we're not buying from a business like Amazon and having them sent to us. Well, it's something to think of so thanks guys and keep em coming
500GB PS3
Panasonic 50VT20B
PSN ID: NARMAK
Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #63

Jan 2012
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
If marked gift, doesn't your allowance go up to the $150 circa mark that i said? After all, we're not buying from a business like Amazon and having them sent to us. Well, it's something to think of so thanks guys and keep em coming
Doubt it. Marking as GIFT you may get small amount above the £15 limit but no where near $150
Old 06-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #64

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
I'd always go safe rather then sorry, remember if you go over the limit and it gets caught you have to pay VAT on the whole value of the order and the postage and then there's the Post Office ransom fee.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #65
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyone View Post
I'd always go safe rather then sorry, remember if you go over the limit and it gets caught you have to pay VAT on the whole value of the order and the postage and then there's the Post Office ransom fee.
Hmm, RANSOM!! TASTY!
[Show spoiler]If your the got damn tax man
500GB PS3
Panasonic 50VT20B
Old 06-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #66
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Reading, England SteelBooks™77 Slipcovers:228

tell the sender to lie on the declaration form they have to fill out. this is the best way. just tell them to write its a dvd with a $3-5 value like someone else said. this is your best chance at evading the customs.
Living room - Panasonic TX-P50ST50B TV, XBOX ONE, Xbox 360 S 250gb, PS3, Technika BRSS10 region free Blu ray player, Yamaha A-S500, Monitor Audio RX 2 & Wharfedale 10.6, Rega DAC, SKY HD

228 slipcovers, 77 steelbooks, 29 digibooks, 4 digipacks, 40 boxsets..........the rest amarays.

LOVING THE XBOX ONE!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #67
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJez View Post
tell the sender to lie on the declaration form they have to fill out. this is the best way. just tell them to write its a dvd with a $3-5 value like someone else said. this is your best chance at evading the customs.
Ok, thanks guys. Ordering a dozen best buy steelbooks and marking them as DVDs. Better hope they don't open the package them
500GB PS3
Panasonic 50VT20B
Old 06-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #68
Power Member

Apr 2011

A little confused by the latest discussion...

I've got three Best Buy steels packed and ready to ship for a member in Belgium. When I take it to the Post office, is there something I can do to make the shipping cost less or something? Like I said, a little confused at what's being discussed
My Home Theater Gallery | My FS/FT/WANT Thread!
Sony Bravia 55HX800 3D
Pioneer Elite VSX-52
Definitive Technology BP-8060 (x2)
Definitive Technology CS-8060
Definitive Technology SM-55 (x2)
Definitive Technology SR-8040P (x2)
PS3
Old 06-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #69
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sabbath View Post

I've got three Best Buy steels packed and ready to ship for a member in Belgium. When I take it to the Post office, is there something I can do to make the shipping cost less or something? Like I said, a little confused at what's being discussed
It's not really shipping costs that are the issue. It's the customs agencies for each respective country. They put a limit on the value of goods that you can have sent to you without being taxed etc which is the customs charges.

As said, seems members are using the declaration forms to mark down lower costs of the items to side step the eye watering fees you might get charged, thus driving that bargain purchase into the same price you might as well have paid in your own country.

I hate customs
500GB PS3
Panasonic 50VT20B
Old 06-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #70
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sabbath View Post

If you send those steelbooks "properly" (by legal standards), then the person receiving them in Belgium may be forced to pay customs fees for having purchased outside of their home country. That means that they will have paid you whatever amount was agreed upon + shipping AND THEN get surprised with an additional $$$ value after the steelbooks arrive. Sometimes those charges can be up to %60 of your purchase value! Therefore, skirting the issue for the buyer is always good for business.

What most people do when shipping is FIRST AND FOREMOST declare the package as a gift. There is usually a check box on the paperwork being filled out by the sender to declare it as such. SECONDLY, the value must be declared, right? Who's to say what the value is? Just write down less than the maximum value allowed for importing in that country. Probably best to state it in their native currency as well so that customs doesn't have to sit down and do a conversion. That draws unnecessary attention to the package.

In your case, it's not about saving them on shipping costs. It's about helping the recipient avoid subsequent unexpected fees which have nothing to do with your personal transaction with the recipient. Also, I'm pretty darn tootin' certain that the $29.97 USD value of the package will not be enough to warrant any import surcharges in any country other than the UK though.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884

Last edited by Petra_Kalbrain; 06-30-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks