Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Ripper Street: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Ocean Giants (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet Earth | Life (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Hammerhead (Blu-ray)
$7.49
Beetlejuice (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
BigJayJay BigJayJay is offline
Member
 
May 2008
1
Default Can 3D picture be zoomed to rid of black bars?

I'm trying to get rid of the black bars on Transformers 3D and the top & bottom black bars is annoying to me. The zoom-out feature on the remote doesn't seem to work in 3D mode but works in 2D mode. However, on Journey 2 there are no black bars at all.

Is this something that can be rectified, or is this just the way the 3D format works where you are unable to zoom-in and out?

Last edited by BigJayJay; 06-29-2012 at 02:51 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
keb33509 keb33509 is offline
Special Member
 
keb33509's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
436
31
Default

I do not believe it can be zoomed in because it may mess up the left/right eye calibration.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
BigJayJay BigJayJay is offline
Member
 
May 2008
1
Default

thanks..yeah, certainly seems that way. This only makes the screen smaller and it's really cheating the customer because we pay for the size of the TV and then they take it back.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
My_Two_Cents My_Two_Cents is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
My_Two_Cents's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....
40
411
19
1
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
thanks..yeah, certainly seems that way. This only makes the screen smaller and it's really cheating the customer because we pay for the size of the TV and then they take it back.
facepalm X3.jpg

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
thebat2 thebat2 is online now
Active Member
 
thebat2's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
NC
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
thanks..yeah, certainly seems that way. This only makes the screen smaller and it's really cheating the customer because we pay for the size of the TV and then they take it back.
Really, really, really!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Deciazulado Deciazulado is offline
Site Manager
 
Deciazulado's Avatar
 
Aug 2006
USiberia
5
2479
2645
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
thanks..yeah, certainly seems that way. This only makes the screen smaller and it's really cheating the customer because we pay for the size of the TV and then they take it back.
The movie is shot in a format much wider than your TV so it is that way to fit your TV which is less wide than the image.

If I am watching CinemaScope/Panavision movies on a fixed size HDTV what I do is sit closer to the TV. For example if I watch Journey2 at 10 feet, then Transformers 3D at 2 or 3 feet closer.



So instead of this hdtved.jpg or zoomed in (and cropped) , it feels like this:








If watching on a projector, then the lens is zoomed wider and bigger just like the projection lens on a theater does.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 06-29-2012 at 03:30 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Cevolution's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
74
1398
1
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
thanks..yeah, certainly seems that way. This only makes the screen smaller and it's really cheating the customer because we pay for the size of the TV and then they take it back.:mad:
This mentally gets me every time. Your focus should not be whether a movie uses the whole area of the screen or not. It's not cheating the customer at all. I would recommend you do some research on aspect ratio's so you can gain some knowledge on why this is. Afterwards if you still have the same opinion then that's fair enough, even though it isn't how many films are intended to be viewed
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
keb33509 keb33509 is offline
Special Member
 
keb33509's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
436
31
Default

This is where the new Cinemawide televisions come in. They remove the black bars on the top, but some films will have bars on the side.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
BigJayJay BigJayJay is offline
Member
 
May 2008
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
This mentally gets me every time. Your focus should not be whether a movie uses the whole area of the screen or not. It's not cheating the customer at all. I would recommend you do some research on aspect ratio's so you can gain some knowledge on why this is. Afterwards if you still have the same opinion then that's fair enough, even though it isn't how many films are intended to be viewed

This just sound dumb and makes zero sense.

If I have a 60" TV then I want to watch the damn movie in 60". Period! WTF don't u understand about that?

Last edited by BigJayJay; 06-29-2012 at 05:50 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
makinbiscuits makinbiscuits is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2012
1
313
3
Default

this thread is making my head hurt.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Cevolution's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
74
1398
1
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
This just sound dumb and makes zero sense.

If I have a 60" TV then I want to watch the damn movie in 60". Period! WTF don't u understand about that?
It doesn't have to make sense to you. It's got nothing to do with setting a standard to please the odd individual who shares your views. Film making is an art form. Director's choose the aspect ratio of their films based on their own vision that they have for the film. Some director's prefer 1 particular aspect ratio over the rest, however others choose to go with a different aspect ratio for each film they make. Who are you to tell them how they should make their movies? That's like someone telling Picasso how he should have painted his paintings. If it bothers you so much, maybe you should thought of it before recently buying a 55" screen and bought a bigger tv instead, or perhaps even a projector.

Edit: romoved and added it to my next post.

Last edited by Cevolution; 06-29-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Spelling error
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
BigJayJay BigJayJay is offline
Member
 
May 2008
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
It doesn't have to make sense to you. It's got nothing to do with setting a standard to please the odd individual who shares your views. Film making is an art form. Director's choose the aspect ratio of their films based on their own vision that they have for the film. Some director's prefer 1 particular aspect ratio over the rest, however others choose to go with a different aspect ratio for each film they make. Who are you to tell them how they should make their movies? That's like someone telling Picasso how he should have painted his paintings. If it bothers you so much, maybe you should thought of it before recently buying a 55" screen and bought a bigger tv instead, or perhaps even a projector.
You simply don't get it do you? Even if I purchased a bigger TV I'll still have the same problem. You can't tell the painter how to do his paintings, but when you are buying his work then you do have some say. You need to wake up and understand that you are the customer here. You are the reason they make what they make.

Nothing odd about wanting to view your entire screen. IMO, you have to be pretty dumb to buy a TV ___ Size, but then wanting to watch the movie in a aspect that cuts about 6" off your TV. That's just stupid. But there's a lot of stupid people in this world so your post doesn't surprise me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Cevolution's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
74
1398
1
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
You simply don't get it do you? Even if I purchased a bigger TV I'll still have the same problem. You can't tell the painter how to do his paintings, but when you are buying his work then you do have some say. You need to wake up and understand that you are the customer here. You are the reason they make what they make.

Nothing odd about wanting to view your entire screen. IMO, you have to be pretty dumb to buy a TV ___ Size, but then wanting to watch the movie in a aspect that cuts about 6" off your TV. That's just stupid. But there's a lot of stupid people in this world so your post doesn't surprise me.
I understand your view just fine. Like I said previously, you can prefer to watch films that way, by zooming in the image to fill your screen, as that's your choice, but in no way should blu's be released altered for their OAR just for the benefit of people like you who are only intersted in filling your tv screen because you feel that's what you paid for. That's certainly not what I paid for. No one is saying that they wouldn't prefer their entire screen to be used, however that's not the way things are, as multiple aspect ratio's exist, so there is no point in whinging about it. You just need to get over it and except the fact that it's just a part of film making. That or like you have said, your other alternative is to zoom in the image on your tv, causing the image to become cropped and of a lower resolution.

Last edited by Cevolution; 06-29-2012 at 06:42 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
Eddie501 Eddie501 is offline
Member
 
May 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
You simply don't get it do you? Even if I purchased a bigger TV I'll still have the same problem. You can't tell the painter how to do his paintings, but when you are buying his work then you do have some say. You need to wake up and understand that you are the customer here. You are the reason they make what they make.

Nothing odd about wanting to view your entire screen. IMO, you have to be pretty dumb to buy a TV ___ Size, but then wanting to watch the movie in a aspect that cuts about 6" off your TV. That's just stupid. But there's a lot of stupid people in this world so your post doesn't surprise me.
Theatrical movies are not made for TV screens, they are made for exhibition in movie theaters. When Michael Bay was shooting Transformers 3, he was more concerned with getting a panoramic cinematic experience then filling up BigJayJay's TV.

Back in the day when VHS was the main format, nobody cared. They just sheared the edges off home video presentations & lost half the picture that was filmed for the sake of filling the screen. Nowdays, there are more options but at least it's now in the consumers hands whether they want to lop off the sides for the sake of another 3" of picture size, but 3D doesn't work that way. You're stuck watching the entire picture as filmed or zooming/stretching the flat version to your hearts content.

And it's not so much that anybody specifically 'wants' to watch a smaller size but that's the best option for seeing the entire theatrical picture as filmed. It's a much better compromise than it used to be when all TV's were square while theatrical movies were rectangular.

Last edited by Eddie501; 06-29-2012 at 07:21 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
KubrickFan KubrickFan is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
KubrickFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
This is where the new Cinemawide televisions come in. They remove the black bars on the top, but some films will have bars on the side.
They should make televisions where a huge boxing glove comes out and punches you for these type of occasions. Could work well for people who watch the Jersey Shore as well .
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
MovieFanatic2010 MovieFanatic2010 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
MovieFanatic2010's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
MAINE
132
542
10
26
Send a message via Skype™ to MovieFanatic2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
thanks..yeah, certainly seems that way. This only makes the screen smaller and it's really cheating the customer because we pay for the size of the TV and then they take it back.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #17
kenny3001 kenny3001 is offline
Senior Member
 
kenny3001's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
I'm trying to get rid of the black bars on Transformers 3D and the top & bottom black bars is annoying to me. The zoom-out feature on the remote doesn't seem to work in 3D mode but works in 2D mode. However, on Journey 2 there are no black bars at all.

Is this something that can be rectified, or is this just the way the 3D format works where you are unable to zoom-in and out?
you need to know 2.35 is cinemascope and 1.85 1.78 are HD full widescreen
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #18
EMAGDNIM EMAGDNIM is offline
Expert Member
 
EMAGDNIM's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada eh!
26
171
Default

I can see this thread going places...
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #19
WJWS Channel 13:Amity WJWS Channel 13:Amity is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
WJWS Channel 13:Amity's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
AMITY ISLAND
1068
38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
This just sound dumb and makes zero sense.

If I have a 60" TV then I want to watch the damn movie in 60". Period! WTF don't u understand about that?
Then Buy The fool screen DVD, and watch that instead. And quit trolling around,on forums that are about getting a qualty home Theatre experience. film fans fought to hard to get Studios to embrace giving us OAR, to have ppl like you who dont appreciate The film makers intent, rap all over it..

Last edited by Deciazulado; 07-01-2012 at 02:16 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
sookymonster sookymonster is offline
Expert Member
 
sookymonster's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
89
Default

This has to be one of the FUNNIER threads for a while. I can understand Jay Jays frustration though...

One compromise is what they did with Dawn Treader movie I just watched and apparently its also whats done by James Cameron. They shoot in 1:78, but then print the film for its theatrical release at 2:39, then when its time for home release, go back and print the original 1:78. That way, everyone is happy. And if the director wants the bigger ratio at the cinema, he keeps the original aspect (Imax cinema's generally) .

It might not seem much, but the top and bottom if in 2:35 (or 2:40) add's up to about a third of the screen, and when you are using a 42 inch-er it does make a difference! If the studios notice people gravitating towards 1:78 (or 1:85) in a big way, I'm sure it will influence the studios to demand their directors shoot this way, at least for big studio releases. I really cant see most people caring enough though truthfully...its annoying but not usually a deal-breaker.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:30 AM.