COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Just Go With It (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sankarea Undying Love: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$43.08
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Black Dynamite (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 06-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #1

May 2008
Default Can 3D picture be zoomed to rid of black bars?

I'm trying to get rid of the black bars on Transformers 3D and the top & bottom black bars is annoying to me. The zoom-out feature on the remote doesn't seem to work in 3D mode but works in 2D mode. However, on Journey 2 there are no black bars at all.

Is this something that can be rectified, or is this just the way the 3D format works where you are unable to zoom-in and out?

Last edited by BigJayJay; 06-29-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Special Member

Aug 2011

I do not believe it can be zoomed in because it may mess up the left/right eye calibration.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #3

May 2008

thanks..yeah, certainly seems that way. This only makes the screen smaller and it's really cheating the customer because we pay for the size of the TV and then they take it back.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
thanks..yeah, certainly seems that way. This only makes the screen smaller and it's really cheating the customer because we pay for the size of the TV and then they take it back.
facepalm X3.jpg

Genius has its limits, however there is no limit on stupidity.

Panasonic 60GT30 | Pioneer VSX-33 | Panasonic DMP-BD110 | Emotiva XPA-3
APC H15 | XBox 360 | Sony PS3 Slim
Axiom M80's & VP-180 | Carver Cinema 5.1 surrounds | BIC Accoustech H100

My A/V cabinet build / DIY thread
Old 06-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #5

Jan 2008
NC

Quote:
Really, really, really!
A/V Equipment
Toshiba A-35 HD-DVD Dvd Player
Mitsubishi 82" DLP 3D Television, XBOX360, Onkyo TX-SR608 7.2 Receiver Panasonic DMP-BDT320 3D BR
XBOX 360 For Games
SDVD 1578BR 1036, BR3D 91
65 HD DVD
Old 06-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Quote:
The movie is shot in a format much wider than your TV so it is that way to fit your TV which is less wide than the image.

If I am watching CinemaScope/Panavision movies on a fixed size HDTV what I do is sit closer to the TV. For example if I watch Journey2 at 10 feet, then Transformers 3D at 2 or 3 feet closer.

So instead of this hdtved.jpg or zoomed in (and cropped) , it feels like this:

If watching on a projector, then the lens is zoomed wider and bigger just like the projection lens on a theater does.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 06-29-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
thanks..yeah, certainly seems that way. This only makes the screen smaller and it's really cheating the customer because we pay for the size of the TV and then they take it back.:mad:
This mentally gets me every time. Your focus should not be whether a movie uses the whole area of the screen or not. It's not cheating the customer at all. I would recommend you do some research on aspect ratio's so you can gain some knowledge on why this is. Afterwards if you still have the same opinion then that's fair enough, even though it isn't how many films are intended to be viewed
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Special Member

Aug 2011

This is where the new Cinemawide televisions come in. They remove the black bars on the top, but some films will have bars on the side.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #9

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
This mentally gets me every time. Your focus should not be whether a movie uses the whole area of the screen or not. It's not cheating the customer at all. I would recommend you do some research on aspect ratio's so you can gain some knowledge on why this is. Afterwards if you still have the same opinion then that's fair enough, even though it isn't how many films are intended to be viewed

This just sound dumb and makes zero sense.

If I have a 60" TV then I want to watch the damn movie in 60". Period! WTF don't u understand about that?

Last edited by BigJayJay; 06-29-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #10

Jun 2012

this thread is making my head hurt.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:

If I have a 60" TV then I want to watch the damn movie in 60". Period! WTF don't u understand about that?
It doesn't have to make sense to you. It's got nothing to do with setting a standard to please the odd individual who shares your views. Film making is an art form. Director's choose the aspect ratio of their films based on their own vision that they have for the film. Some director's prefer 1 particular aspect ratio over the rest, however others choose to go with a different aspect ratio for each film they make. Who are you to tell them how they should make their movies? That's like someone telling Picasso how he should have painted his paintings. If it bothers you so much, maybe you should thought of it before recently buying a 55" screen and bought a bigger tv instead, or perhaps even a projector.

Edit: romoved and added it to my next post.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote

Last edited by Cevolution; 06-29-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 06-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #12

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
It doesn't have to make sense to you. It's got nothing to do with setting a standard to please the odd individual who shares your views. Film making is an art form. Director's choose the aspect ratio of their films based on their own vision that they have for the film. Some director's prefer 1 particular aspect ratio over the rest, however others choose to go with a different aspect ratio for each film they make. Who are you to tell them how they should make their movies? That's like someone telling Picasso how he should have painted his paintings. If it bothers you so much, maybe you should thought of it before recently buying a 55" screen and bought a bigger tv instead, or perhaps even a projector.
You simply don't get it do you? Even if I purchased a bigger TV I'll still have the same problem. You can't tell the painter how to do his paintings, but when you are buying his work then you do have some say. You need to wake up and understand that you are the customer here. You are the reason they make what they make.

Nothing odd about wanting to view your entire screen. IMO, you have to be pretty dumb to buy a TV ___ Size, but then wanting to watch the movie in a aspect that cuts about 6" off your TV. That's just stupid. But there's a lot of stupid people in this world so your post doesn't surprise me.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
You simply don't get it do you? Even if I purchased a bigger TV I'll still have the same problem. You can't tell the painter how to do his paintings, but when you are buying his work then you do have some say. You need to wake up and understand that you are the customer here. You are the reason they make what they make.

Nothing odd about wanting to view your entire screen. IMO, you have to be pretty dumb to buy a TV ___ Size, but then wanting to watch the movie in a aspect that cuts about 6" off your TV. That's just stupid. But there's a lot of stupid people in this world so your post doesn't surprise me.
I understand your view just fine. Like I said previously, you can prefer to watch films that way, by zooming in the image to fill your screen, as that's your choice, but in no way should blu's be released altered for their OAR just for the benefit of people like you who are only intersted in filling your tv screen because you feel that's what you paid for. That's certainly not what I paid for. No one is saying that they wouldn't prefer their entire screen to be used, however that's not the way things are, as multiple aspect ratio's exist, so there is no point in whinging about it. You just need to get over it and except the fact that it's just a part of film making. That or like you have said, your other alternative is to zoom in the image on your tv, causing the image to become cropped and of a lower resolution.
Setup:

Last edited by Cevolution; 06-29-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #14

May 2011

Quote:

Theatrical movies are not made for TV screens, they are made for exhibition in movie theaters. When Michael Bay was shooting Transformers 3, he was more concerned with getting a panoramic cinematic experience then filling up BigJayJay's TV.

Back in the day when VHS was the main format, nobody cared. They just sheared the edges off home video presentations & lost half the picture that was filmed for the sake of filling the screen. Nowdays, there are more options but at least it's now in the consumers hands whether they want to lop off the sides for the sake of another 3" of picture size, but 3D doesn't work that way. You're stuck watching the entire picture as filmed or zooming/stretching the flat version to your hearts content.

And it's not so much that anybody specifically 'wants' to watch a smaller size but that's the best option for seeing the entire theatrical picture as filmed. It's a much better compromise than it used to be when all TV's were square while theatrical movies were rectangular.

Last edited by Eddie501; 06-29-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
This is where the new Cinemawide televisions come in. They remove the black bars on the top, but some films will have bars on the side.
They should make televisions where a huge boxing glove comes out and punches you for these type of occasions. Could work well for people who watch the Jersey Shore as well .
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
Send a message via Skype™ to MovieFanatic2010

Quote:
BASEMENT HOME THEATER - EPSON 5030UB 2D/3D PROJECTOR W/ 100" ELITE SCREEN - RECEIVER - HARMON KARDON 1710 7.2
FRONT SPEAKERS - INFINITY PRIMUS P363 CENTER SPEAKER INFINITY PRIMUS PC351 - SIDES AND REARS POLK AUDIO 30'S + 40'S
SUBWOOFERS PREMIER ACOUSTIC PA-120 650 WATT TITANIUM + POLK AUDIO PSW110
BASS SHAKERS BASH 500 WATT AMP + 2 CLARK TRANSDUCERS
BEDROOM DISPLAY - PANASONIC VIERA TC-P60UT50 60 -INCH 3D PLASMA
Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #17

Jul 2008

Quote:
I'm trying to get rid of the black bars on Transformers 3D and the top & bottom black bars is annoying to me. The zoom-out feature on the remote doesn't seem to work in 3D mode but works in 2D mode. However, on Journey 2 there are no black bars at all.

Is this something that can be rectified, or is this just the way the 3D format works where you are unable to zoom-in and out?
you need to know 2.35 is cinemascope and 1.85 1.78 are HD full widescreen
Old 06-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #18
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada eh!

I can see this thread going places...
JVC DLA-RS55 4K Shift Projector, 100" EluneVision Reference Studio 4K Tab-Tensioned Screen
*New unfinished basement is currently under construction* The new build thread!
64" Samsung PN64D8000 3D Plasma, Samsung BD-D5500 3D Bluray player
Main Floor: Samsung UN55D7000 LED 3DTV, Samsung BD-D5500
Beadroom: Panasonic TC-P50ST30 3D Plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 3D Bluray player
Final Fantasy Black Cloud 160GB J-PS3, Xbox 360 Elite
Old 06-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
AMITY ISLAND

Quote:

Then Buy The fool screen DVD, and watch that instead. And quit trolling around,on forums that are about getting a qualty home Theatre experience. film fans fought to hard to get Studios to embrace giving us OAR, to have ppl like you who dont appreciate The film makers intent, rap all over it..
WJWS AMITY The Station that plays the Hits!

Last edited by Deciazulado; 07-01-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
Expert Member

Apr 2012

This has to be one of the FUNNIER threads for a while. I can understand Jay Jays frustration though...

One compromise is what they did with Dawn Treader movie I just watched and apparently its also whats done by James Cameron. They shoot in 1:78, but then print the film for its theatrical release at 2:39, then when its time for home release, go back and print the original 1:78. That way, everyone is happy. And if the director wants the bigger ratio at the cinema, he keeps the original aspect (Imax cinema's generally) .

It might not seem much, but the top and bottom if in 2:35 (or 2:40) add's up to about a third of the screen, and when you are using a 42 inch-er it does make a difference! If the studios notice people gravitating towards 1:78 (or 1:85) in a big way, I'm sure it will influence the studios to demand their directors shoot this way, at least for big studio releases. I really cant see most people caring enough though truthfully...its annoying but not usually a deal-breaker.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies