Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Last Supper (Blu-ray)
$13.29
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 06-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #1

Jan 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Default Best blu-ray rack???

AM moving to a new apartment and having trouble finding a big rack that can hold all my collection. Have about 500+ with some over sized box sets..So friends, can please suggest me???

I got this one for 99 bucks

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Atlantic...ack&cp=3&lp=10

Its cheap quality fell apart very quickly
Old 06-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Anything that is made of particle board simply will not hold. If you want a quality piece that will add to the esthetics of your living rm or man cave. I'd have to suggest getting something made or making it yourself. Many community colleges and or high schools that have shop classes can make you something for a small donation and the cost of the supplies. Or IKEA tends to have some quality pieces.

I have this one from Target. The only thing about it that is particle board is the back of it. Its been moved a few times various locations apt etc. No issues nor worries.

http://www.target.com/p/delano-large...gpa=pla&ci_kw=

Yeah I know its target. But they have some quality pieces every now and then you just have to hunt for them!!! It was an online exclusive I had to have them order it in store.

Last edited by onyxbfly; 06-28-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: found what I was looking for
Old 06-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
Alabama

the cheapness of most racks from places like best buy/wal-mart/target are the reason i built my own.

i used finished-grade lumber (1"x6") from lowe's for the sides and shelves and a piece of 1/8" ply for the back. it has 5 shelves (creating 6 spaces) and can hold just over 300 blu-rays.

i bought the materials and cut and assembled it all in one day.

the shelves are held to the sides using screws (this was before i had a pocket-screw jig) and the back is held on with small finishing nails (hammered in with a regular hammer; didn't have a pneumatic nailer then, either).

none of the shelves sag, bend or warp. it's not the pretties thing in the world, but it does the job well. now i just need to build another one since i have over 100 blu-rays that won't fit in there.

i used it for a almost two years before i ever stained it; now it matches the rest of the furniture in my room.
Will Disney ever release Old Yeller and Big Red on blu-ray?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Savannah GA

I had one custom made about 10 years ago for all my dvds. It held just over 600 dvd's. But I sold all my dvd's and just have a few blu-rays so now it is mostly a nick-knack shelf. It cost me about 300 dollars to have made.
Movies that need to go Blu. The Ref, Open Range, Life As A House, Great Outdoors, True Lies, Joe Dirt, Maximum Overdrive, Pool Hall Junkies, Brain Candy.

T.V. shows that need to go Blu Man Vs. Wild, Survivor Man, Dirty Jobs, NHL Winter Classic 2009.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Banned

Aug 2010

Like Sk33tr, I also built myself two shelf units using 1x6 finished lumber and 1/8" Luan from Lowe's, and then primered and painted them black (2 coats each) with 4" paint rollers. Each unit is 36" wide and 72" tall; the top and bottom shelves in each unit are screwed fast to the side pieces, and the remaining shelves are suspended/adjustable using 4 removable shelf supports per shelf (require 1/4" holes drilled on the insides of the side pieces, 1/2" deep). It only took me about two hours each to build and assemble the units, and a few days to apply all the coats of primer and paint. These are very sturdy shelf units, and cost a little over $100 each to build and paint.... To keep the units upright against the wall, I ran two drywall screws through the back panel of eack unit (in the top shelf space), and into the wall studs behind. Here's a photo from my Home Theater Gallery link...

Last edited by FREYMAX 3D; 06-29-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris60119 View Post
I had one custom made about 10 years ago for all my dvds. It held just over 600 dvd's. Bhttp://www.customdesignsfurniture.com.au/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=52# but I sold all my dvd's and just have a few blu-rays so now it is mostly a nick-knack shelf. It cost me about 300 dollars to have made.
I just put in an order for 2 custom made contemporary style shelves. They are being made from Tasmanian Oak. The dimensions of each unit are going to be 2100mm Hx 1250mm Wx 200mm D, they will have 9 shelves in total, 3x 210mm H, 5x 190mm H, and 1x 150mm H (though I'm thinking about changing the order tomorrow to 6x 190mm H), which will hold approximately 1450 dvd's/blu-ray's/cd's/games. It's not cheap though, it's costing me $2550au, but I'd rather buy quality that will last me a life time than cheap MDF partical board shelves.

Living in an apartment, I just don't have the space to make them. My old man's a builder, if I lived closer to him I would probably make them instead.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avp/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote

Last edited by Cevolution; 06-29-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyTheater3D View Post
Like Sk33tr, I also built myself two shelf units using 1x6 finished lumber and 1/8" Luan from Lowe's, and then primered and painted them black (2 coats each) with 4" paint rollers. Each unit is 36" wide and 72" tall; the top and bottom shelves in each unit are screwed fast to the side pieces, and the remaining shelves are suspended/adjustable using 4 removable shelf supports per shelf (require 1/4" holes drilled on the insides of the side pieces, 1/2" deep). It only took me about two hours each to build and assemble the units, and a few days to apply all the coats of primer and paint. These are very sturdy shelf units, and cost a little over $100 each to build and paint.... To keep the units upright against the wall, I ran two drywall screws through the back panel of eack unit (in the top shelf space), and into the wall studs behind. Here's a photo from my Home Theater Gallery link...
[Show spoiler]
those are pretty sweet.

nice job
Will Disney ever release Old Yeller and Big Red on blu-ray?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk33tr View Post
those are pretty sweet.

nice job
They say a picture is worth a 1000 words, your description sounds as if they are basic. But your pictures look pretty good. Your shelves would be a welcome addition to anyones home!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
I just put in an order for 2 custom made contemporary style shelves. They are being made from Tasmanian Oak. The dimensions of each unit are going to be 2100mm Hx 1250mm Wx 200mm D, they will have 9 shelves in total, 3x 210mm H, 5x 190mm H, and 1x 150mm H (though I'm thinking about changing the order tomorrow to 6x 190mm H), which will hold approximately 1450 dvd's/blu-ray's/cd's/games. It's not cheap though, it's costing me $2550au, but I'd rather buy quality that will last me a life time than cheap MDF partical board shelves.

Living in an apartment, I just don't have the space to make them. My old man's a builder, if I lived closer to him I would probably make them instead.
Have him build it. Rent a truck and get it. Nothing like having something built by hand by a love one. It will always be a conversation piece. Always something that you will have to cherish!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #10
Banned

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxbfly View Post
They say a picture is worth a 1000 words, your description sounds as if they are basic. But your pictures look pretty good. Your shelves would be a welcome addition to anyones home!!!
Thanks, onyx - my entire theater room is basically DIY, I built or installed much of the stuff in it - the front stage, the second row bar table, the wall columns for the sconce lights, the media shelves, all the electrical circuits, the flooring - even the keg fridge I converted from an upright freezer...
Old 06-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxbfly View Post
Have him build it. Rent a truck and get it. Nothing like having something built by hand by a love one. It will always be a conversation piece. Always something that you will have to cherish!!!
He's a very busy man, works 12+ hours a day, is still finishing off the renovations on a new property he recently bought, so I couldn't possibly ask him at this point in time to make me some shelves, and I can't wait for them either as my current shelves almost have no space left. He's 57 in a little over a month, it's his time to relax, not to spend his time catering to me.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avp/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Utah

Ikea can have some good options.
Blind Buy Count: 213
PSN ID: cvm0305

Sometimes we hear of people who are “very” honest, “mostly” honest, or even “a little” honest.
Should we even use modifiers with the word honest? I don’t believe so. There are no degrees of honesty. Either we are honest or we aren't.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Club Loop

an ex-girlfriend simply had a shelf made up of bricks and 2x4's that made the shelves. sounds crappy maybe, but it looked cool and was super simple and you could simply add another 2x4 (or whatever you would use for the shelf) whenever the other shelves filled up! thinking of doing the same myself since my current shelf wasn't what it showed on the box - the second shelf cannot hold DVD's or blu-rays standing up, it's a goddamn CD shelf right in the middle of blu-ray shelves
Seattle Seahawks XLVIII Champions

2014: 3-3
Old 07-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
He's a very busy man, works 12+ hours a day, is still finishing off the renovations on a new property he recently bought, so I couldn't possibly ask him at this point in time to make me some shelves, and I can't wait for them either as my current shelves almost have no space left. He's 57 in a little over a month, it's his time to relax, not to spend his time catering to me.
I hear ya, Always sucks when life gets in the way. It was worth a shot.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2008
Pennsylvania, USA

My wife and I use a really nice bookshelf we bought from a local furniture store called Oak Express. It's really good quality, large, and most importantly all wood.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #16

Jan 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyTheater3D View Post

That looks awesome!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #17

Jan 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

I live in Pittsburgh, anyone know where to order these custom shelves?
300 bucks is not a problem.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat