COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic Park 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Fair Lady (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.18
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Eraserhead (Blu-ray)
$28.80
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
XXXsdesdeXXX XXXsdesdeXXX is offline
Special Member
 
XXXsdesdeXXX's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
San Diego, CA
325
1
178
Default Passive 3D Settings // problems

I just recently purchased an LG 55LM6200 (55" LED 3D TV) that uses 'passive' 3D technology and the Sony BDP-S590 3D Blu-ray player -- I also purchased Rio 3D and Voyage of the Dawn Treader 3D.

To me the 3D looks wrong. While watching Rio 3D, I noticed ghosting in many of the scenes and I found it very hard to focus when there was lots of rapid motion (turning TruMotion on/off didn't really help). I've tried adjusting the 3D settings on both the TV and the 3D Blu-ray player, but it just doesn't resolve the issues I'm having --it either removes the 3D effect entirely or makes the ghosting worse.

I sit about 7 feet away from my display and look up to my TV at an angle of about 20 degrees (the TV is on top of a 3-4 ft high TV stand). Does anyone have any ideas, or are others experiencing the same issues.
TV - LG 55LM6200
BD Player - Sony BDP-S590

My Personal Trading Thread
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
banibale banibale is offline
Active Member
 
banibale's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
BRONX, NY
35
12
Default

Based on my experience with the same problem nearly a year ago.
It was HDMI cable , when I replaced it for a high speed HDMI the problem was
Solved.. maybe is the same problem with yours.
combo setup :110 " Elite Screens TE110HW2-E24 Motorized EPSON 5020UB 3D projector with OPPO 103 || TV: 70" Sony KDL-70R550A with OPPO 93|| PS4||XBOX ONE ||WII U (black) ||PS3 80G || Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Receiver || speakers: Infinity P363BK (2). || Infinity PC351BK (center). | (4) JBL ES10B || Infinity PS410BK subs (2).| Monster Power HDP2500 Power Center || Harmony 1100
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
XXXsdesdeXXX XXXsdesdeXXX is offline
Special Member
 
XXXsdesdeXXX's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
San Diego, CA
325
1
178
Default

I am using a high speed hdmi cable i bought at monoprice. Here`s a link to the exact hdmi cable i bought. I also have these cables. They both say they support 3D and I have swapped them to no avail. Any other ideas? The cables could be shorter -- maybe 5 or 6 ft.
TV - LG 55LM6200
BD Player - Sony BDP-S590

My Personal Trading Thread

Last edited by XXXsdesdeXXX; 07-08-2012 at 04:44 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
sookymonster sookymonster is offline
Expert Member
 
sookymonster's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
89
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXsdesdeXXX View Post
I am using a high speed hdmi cable i bought at monoprice. Here`s a link to the exact hdmi cable i bought. I also have these cables. They both say they support 3D and I have swapped them to no avail. Any other ideas? The cables could be shorter -- maybe 5 or 6 ft.
This might be silly, but have you tried the view-swap in your menu?

If its on the wrong way it just gives off a weird but still kinda 3D effect. Sometimes if you are new it actually might be hard to tell. For example if you are converting from 2D - 3D, changing this seems to bring the picture "out of" your telly..and this may confuse some people as to what position it should be set at.

If you are sitting pretty much in the middle and at or below the centre, you should be in your sweet spot provided you are back far enough.

Also I think Tru motion is supposed to be turned off to take advantage of the LG algorhythm which claims a full 1080P signal to each eye..Hope this can help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
BD3Dfan BD3Dfan is offline
Active Member
 
BD3Dfan's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
136
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXsdesdeXXX View Post
...I sit about 7 feet away from my display and look up to my TV at an angle of about 20 degrees (the TV is on top of a 3-4 ft high TV stand). ...
This might be the problem right there. Passive 3D TVs have a limited vertical viewing angle. If it isn't viewed straight on or close to straight on, the image becomes unviewable in 3D. This is a limitation of the tech and the best way to solve it would be to get the TV as close to level as your eyes, or vice-versa.
3D Kit: Toshiba 42VL863B and Sony S480 BD 3D Player
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Luther4 Luther4 is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2012
Default

Absolutely
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Cevolution's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
82
1444
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD3Dfan View Post
This might be the problem right there. Passive 3D TVs have a limited vertical viewing angle. If it isn't viewed straight on or close to straight on, the image becomes unviewable in 3D. This is a limitation of the tech and the best way to solve it would be to get the TV as close to level as your eyes, or vice-versa.
This was exactly my thoughts yesterday when I read the OP's dilemma.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
banibale banibale is offline
Active Member
 
banibale's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
BRONX, NY
35
12
Default

Totally false statements.. 20 degrees is just like sitting in the corner of a 4 seat sofa , that's exactly where I'm sitting and I get perfect 3D effects. Passive viewing angles are not that limited.. and if that was the case you see flat 3D not ghosting or xtalk. I recommend to check your setting , your hookups or make sure your set is not defective.
combo setup :110 " Elite Screens TE110HW2-E24 Motorized EPSON 5020UB 3D projector with OPPO 103 || TV: 70" Sony KDL-70R550A with OPPO 93|| PS4||XBOX ONE ||WII U (black) ||PS3 80G || Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Receiver || speakers: Infinity P363BK (2). || Infinity PC351BK (center). | (4) JBL ES10B || Infinity PS410BK subs (2).| Monster Power HDP2500 Power Center || Harmony 1100
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Cevolution's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
82
1444
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by banibale View Post
Totally false statements.. 20 degrees is just like sitting in the corner of a 4 seat sofa , that's exactly where I'm sitting and I get perfect 3D effects. Passive viewing angles are not that limited.. and if that was the case you see flat 3D not ghosting or xtalk. I recommend to check your setting , your hookups or make sure your set is not defective.
From what I can tell from your HT gallery photos banibale you are sitting further back that 7 feet and your tv appear to be positioned at eye level, or very close to it. The OP stated he sits approximately 7 feet away (2.1 metres) and that he is looking up at his tv on a 20 degree angle, not that he sitting to the side at a 20 degree angle. Based on the OP's description, that could be enough to cause the issue he is having. Is it the cause of the issue though, maybe, maybe not.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote

Last edited by Cevolution; 07-08-2012 at 05:56 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
banibale banibale is offline
Active Member
 
banibale's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
BRONX, NY
35
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
Based on your HT gallery photos banibale you are sitting further back that 7 feet and your tv appear to be positioned close to eye level. The OP stated he sits approximately 7 feet away (2.1 metres) and that he is looking up at his tv on a 20 degree angle, not that he sitting to the side at a 20 degree angle. Based on the OP's description, that could be enough to cause the issue he is having. Is it the cause of the issue though, maybe, maybe not.
Agreed.. but my tv is on the wall a bit higher than his.. The only time I get an ugly distortion is when I look down the tv while standing up . The 20 degrees thing is not the reason of his problems.
combo setup :110 " Elite Screens TE110HW2-E24 Motorized EPSON 5020UB 3D projector with OPPO 103 || TV: 70" Sony KDL-70R550A with OPPO 93|| PS4||XBOX ONE ||WII U (black) ||PS3 80G || Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Receiver || speakers: Infinity P363BK (2). || Infinity PC351BK (center). | (4) JBL ES10B || Infinity PS410BK subs (2).| Monster Power HDP2500 Power Center || Harmony 1100
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Cevolution's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
82
1444
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by banibale View Post
Agreed.. but my tv is on the wall a bit higher than his.. The only time I get an ugly distortion is when I look down the tv while standing up . The 20 degrees thing is not the reason of his problems.
My mistake, after a 2nd look at your HT photos I can see now that your seating is not positioned at eye level, you are in fact looking up at approximately a 20 degree angle. I'm on my iPhone, and since the screen is so small, at a glace I thought those blue things were your feet in socks elevated on a reclining chair (I don't even know how I managed to get that impression since your logitech remote is sitting on the end), but now after a better look I can easily see that they are the arms of your lounge suite.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote

Last edited by Cevolution; 07-08-2012 at 06:49 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
banibale banibale is offline
Active Member
 
banibale's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
BRONX, NY
35
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
My mistake, after a 2nd look at your HT photos I can see now that your seating is not positioned at eye level, you are in fact looking up at approximately a 20 degree angle. I'm on my iPhone, and since the screen is so small, at a glace I thought those blue things were your feet in socks elevated on a reclining chair (I don't even know how managed to get that impression since your logitech remote is sitting on the end), but now after a better look I can easily see that they are the arms of your lounge suite.
Lol..lounge suit I wish.. I live in a crappy apartment in Bronx ny . Btw the rent really cheap all you need is balls to live in this neighborhood because it's pretty dangerous .
combo setup :110 " Elite Screens TE110HW2-E24 Motorized EPSON 5020UB 3D projector with OPPO 103 || TV: 70" Sony KDL-70R550A with OPPO 93|| PS4||XBOX ONE ||WII U (black) ||PS3 80G || Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Receiver || speakers: Infinity P363BK (2). || Infinity PC351BK (center). | (4) JBL ES10B || Infinity PS410BK subs (2).| Monster Power HDP2500 Power Center || Harmony 1100

Last edited by banibale; 07-08-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typing
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #13
XXXsdesdeXXX XXXsdesdeXXX is offline
Special Member
 
XXXsdesdeXXX's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
San Diego, CA
325
1
178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookymonster View Post
This might be silly, but have you tried the view-swap in your menu?
I have an option that says left/right and right/left I assume this is the option you are referring to? I will try to play around with that when I get home. Besides 3D options, what other settings should be changed? For example, should I use something other than 'Vivid' like 'Cinema Mode' or change brightness, contrast, or some other settings?
TV - LG 55LM6200
BD Player - Sony BDP-S590

My Personal Trading Thread
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #14
banibale banibale is offline
Active Member
 
banibale's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
BRONX, NY
35
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXsdesdeXXX View Post
I have an option that says left/right and right/left I assume this is the option you are referring to? I will try to play around with that when I get home. Besides 3D options, what other settings should be changed? For example, should I use something other than 'Vivid' like 'Cinema Mode' or change brightness, contrast, or some other settings?
I'm playing around with the setting on my tv looking for the reason of your problem, I strongly believe is the left and right eyes setting . When I switch that I get all the problems you're getting .. so try that and let us know..
combo setup :110 " Elite Screens TE110HW2-E24 Motorized EPSON 5020UB 3D projector with OPPO 103 || TV: 70" Sony KDL-70R550A with OPPO 93|| PS4||XBOX ONE ||WII U (black) ||PS3 80G || Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Receiver || speakers: Infinity P363BK (2). || Infinity PC351BK (center). | (4) JBL ES10B || Infinity PS410BK subs (2).| Monster Power HDP2500 Power Center || Harmony 1100
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #15
XXXsdesdeXXX XXXsdesdeXXX is offline
Special Member
 
XXXsdesdeXXX's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
San Diego, CA
325
1
178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by banibale View Post
I'm playing around with the setting on my tv looking for the reason of your problem, I strongly believe is the left and right eyes setting . When I switch that I get all the problems you're getting .. so try that and let us know..
I will and I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I will try it when I get home.
TV - LG 55LM6200
BD Player - Sony BDP-S590

My Personal Trading Thread
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #16
sookymonster sookymonster is offline
Expert Member
 
sookymonster's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
89
Default

Thats what I have been suggesting all along...

Good luck.

I would take it off vivid mode and i would leave the view point at o (zero) , this moves the plane of the 3D back and forth. Leaving it o you will see things as the director intended and wong get screen 3D violations.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
XXXsdesdeXXX XXXsdesdeXXX is offline
Special Member
 
XXXsdesdeXXX's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
San Diego, CA
325
1
178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by banibale View Post
I'm playing around with the setting on my tv looking for the reason of your problem, I strongly believe is the left and right eyes setting . When I switch that I get all the problems you're getting .. so try that and let us know..
Changing the left/right and right/left setting did help in conjunction with depth and viewpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookymonster View Post
Thats what I have been suggesting all along...

Good luck.

I would take it off vivid mode and i would leave the view point at o (zero) , this moves the plane of the 3D back and forth. Leaving it o you will see things as the director intended and wong get screen 3D violations.
I decided to leave the viewpoint setting at "0" as you have suggested and I also changed the depth to "0". These two changes vastly improved what I am seeing. Thanks! Which 3D title do you guys suggest that I use to sell my wife on the 3D tech? She complains if it`s depth only - so it`ll need some pop out moments. I currently only have Rio 3D and Voyage of the Dawn Treader 3D and neither exhibit real pop out moments.
TV - LG 55LM6200
BD Player - Sony BDP-S590

My Personal Trading Thread

Last edited by XXXsdesdeXXX; 07-09-2012 at 08:53 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #18
keb33509 keb33509 is offline
Special Member
 
keb33509's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
443
31
Default

Journey to the center of the earth and A Turtles Tale.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #19
XXXsdesdeXXX XXXsdesdeXXX is offline
Special Member
 
XXXsdesdeXXX's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
San Diego, CA
325
1
178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
Journey to the center of the earth and A Turtles Tale.
Thanks for the recommendations. Any others?

On a side note, the thing that's messing with me the most, in terms of 3D viewing, are the things in the foreground of the 3D image -- it's feels like the foreground image is too bright and too fast moving which distracts whatever's behind it in a bad way. I love the way the depth looks when I adjust the viewing settings all the way to the extreme of -10, it gets rid of the problem with the foreground image being too bright and distracting, but it then creates an annoying double image -- ghosting effect. I believe I greatly exaggerated my viewing angle previously -- it's more like a 5 degree angle that I have when viewing the TV from the sofa. I'm still looking for ideas -- any are greatly appreciated. In addition to my TV having 3D settings, my Blu-ray player has a depth setting than can be adjusted (-2) through (+2)
TV - LG 55LM6200
BD Player - Sony BDP-S590

My Personal Trading Thread

Last edited by XXXsdesdeXXX; 07-10-2012 at 03:24 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #20
Jsmith82 Jsmith82 is offline
Expert Member
 
Jsmith82's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Missouri, USA
59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXsdesdeXXX View Post
I just recently purchased an LG 55LM6200 (55" LED 3D TV) that uses 'passive' 3D technology and the Sony BDP-S590 3D Blu-ray player -- I also purchased Rio 3D and Voyage of the Dawn Treader 3D.

To me the 3D looks wrong. While watching Rio 3D, I noticed ghosting in many of the scenes and I found it very hard to focus when there was lots of rapid motion (turning TruMotion on/off didn't really help). I've tried adjusting the 3D settings on both the TV and the 3D Blu-ray player, but it just doesn't resolve the issues I'm having --it either removes the 3D effect entirely or makes the ghosting worse.

I sit about 7 feet away from my display and look up to my TV at an angle of about 20 degrees (the TV is on top of a 3-4 ft high TV stand). Does anyone have any ideas, or are others experiencing the same issues.
Hello - my thoughts, you need to run a network cable to your 3DBR player and update it, that's all (unplug the network cable from your computer and run it to your BR player, turn it on without any disc in it, it should automatically detect the cable and scan for updates. After updating, manually scan for any more updates. Turn off the player afterwards, unplug the cable, then fire it back up).

I had the same experience with Rio, Drive Angry, and Darkest Hour. The 3D looked "off", was really tough on the eyes and ghosting was horrible. Turns out it was a firmware problem with the player, the left eye and right eye were playing out of sync causing any scene with motion to look incredibly ugly, eye straining as well. The issue was caused by disc encoding.

Check out my topic here to read a better explanation. My 3Dtv is a 47in LG Passive and the picture rocks , my player is also LG (I see you have a Sony). I've heard of this problem with LG, Sony, and Phillips, see if that helps you out.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:53 PM.