New: Black Friday Deals Week has started! Check out the Blu-ray Deals page » ×

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Now: Warcraft $6.99 (13% claimed)
Now: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods … $12.74 (27 mins left)
Soon: What We Do in the Shadows ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Wonder Woman (Blu-ray)
$6.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Life (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Cult of Chucky (Blu-ray)
$5.96
The Hateful Eight (Blu-ray)
$3.99
Watchmen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
$8.99
A Dog's Purpose (Blu-ray)
$5.96
Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Dark Tower (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Peanuts Movie (Blu-ray)
$4.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #221
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

Old 09-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #222
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmawing View Post
Thanks for the link.

Sigh . . . between this and Pocahontas, Disney Blu-rays have become utterly disappointing.
What others did you find disappointing? Certainly not Pocahontas, right? :O
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
Mary Poppins ● Robin Hood ● Tarzan ● Treasure Planet ● Wreck-it Ralph
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
Old 09-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #223
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnds500 View Post
This looks like f*cking crap.
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
Old 09-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #224
Special Member

Apr 2011
Katy, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellzSoup View Post
I really hope that so much detail wasn't lost on the blu ray transfer tahts really something...
Well, before I joined this site a year and a half ago, many were saying that Sleeping Beauty was probably the best Blu-ray ever released and that was comparing it to all Blu-rays that had been released at that time. As long as Disney puts half the effort into Cinderella that they did for SB, then we will be in good shape. This is my wife's all time favorite movie so let's pray that it's the same (if not more).
Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #225
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012
Los Angeles, CA

i can't wait to have the jewerly box in my hands!!!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #226
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012

Can we stop picking on the restoration? There are people who worked their to make this the best that they can
Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #227
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2012
Knoxville, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyJonathan View Post
Can we stop picking on the restoration? There are people who worked their to make this the best that they can
People forget this movie was made in 1950. People either complain it looks too old or it has too much new DNR. Can't win.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #228
Power Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumny View Post
I think she is reffering to the exclusion of the song "If I Never Knew you" but I could be wrong.

Quote:
This restoration does need to be picked on because Disney needs to do something about it, I honestly don't think people worked that hard on this movie seeings how horrible it looks.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #229
Expert Member

Jul 2008

Well, I for one am glad that we are getting it on Blu, but I wish some of the detail was still present. Is it going to affect my purchasing it? Hell no, Ill be there day one.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #230

Aug 2011
Sin City, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnds500 View Post
Thanks again for that one, I just sent the message that I'd discussed at UD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumny View Post
Pocahontas, but only because they didn't do seemless branching for If I Never Knew You. I'm just going to hang on to my 10th anniversary set.

Quote:
Yeah . . . using a crappy, automated restoration process that already looked bad on DVD years ago, for a high-resolution format meant to bring out all the subtleties captured in the original film . . .

What about the artists that worked their off to create the original drawings that were inked by hand, painted in by hand, and went through camera tests to get the look just right? Much of that hard work is now gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMT9 View Post
People forget this movie was made in 1950. People either complain it looks too old or it has too much new DNR. Can't win.
I'm not usually nit-picky on restorations and I haven't forgotten when this film was made; the Snow White Blu-ray looks gorgeous, and that film is from 1937. As far as I'm concerned, the colors are subjective, the amount of grain is subjective, but the hand-inked lines in animation is not, and mis-coloring entire sections is not. Completely obliterating the inks is unbelievable:

It looks like it was done in freakin' MS Paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfreak View Post
I think she is reffering to the exclusion of the song "If I Never Knew you" but I could be wrong.

This restoration does need to be picked on because Disney needs to do something about it, I honestly don't think people worked that hard on this movie seeings how horrible it looks.
Yeah, as I mentioned above in this reply, it's the song. Pocahontas is one of my favorite Disney films, and I'm extremely disappointed I can't watch the special edition in its entirety in HD.

And yes, something needs to be done about the restoration. I can't believe someone thought this was good enough for a Blu-ray release from such a major company. Like Pocahontas, I'm not really interested in buying.
Legs are required for jumpin,' dancin'
Old 09-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #231
Special Member

Jun 2010
Homestead, FL

That's pretty horrifying. I was very happy with the DVD restoration even though I was aware it had flaws. Now looking at it in HD, even more flaws emerge and show that the digital inking went out of hand. I'm a bit worried about Peter Pan's BD release since I believe that film's DVD restoration (which will undoubtedly be used for the BD) was done quickly to tie-in with the first Tinker Bell film (which ended up getting post-poned, anyway). What's Cinderella's excuse?

Bambi and Lady and the Tramp's Platinum restorations look amazing in HD for their Diamond Editions (though I understand Bambi was smoothened out a bit), and I hear 101 Dalmatians looks similarly excellent overseas. So how did Cinderella and The Little Mermaid get the short end of the stick when it came to the Platinum restorations done in HD? At least with the latter, we can be sure it'll be scrubbed pristinely for its 3D release. With Cinderella, we're probably not going to see another from-scratch clean up job until the next format. Boo.
"Mustard?! Don't let's be silly!"

Last edited by The Mad Kiwi; 09-12-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:07 AM   #232
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012

Seriously your just going to overlook this just because some lines and sparkles are missing?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:44 AM   #233
Power Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Seriously your just going to overlook this just because some lines and sparkles are missing?
Of course were going to say something about it, some portions of the movie look rediculous, this movie seriously looks like it was done in MS Paint. Take for example when Cinderella is fleeing from the ball in the carriage, Is it a pumpkin or just a Blue Orb? I for one think the movie should be restored faithfully, and so future generations can enjoy the film the way it was enjoyed in 1950. This is one of Walts favorite movies, and I'm pretty sure he would not approve of this restoration.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #234
Special Member

Jun 2010
Homestead, FL

Quote:
The staircase scene is far from the only example of that. In other scenes, costumes that have had different shades of the same color (like the Fairy Godmother's) sometimes end up as one solid shade. Character eyeballs (usually the Tremaines') are often an icy blue around the pupils rather than white, and contrast in some scenes (most notably the wedding) is way off, resulting in grayish whites. Then there's the iconic dress transformation shot where a good chunk of the sparkles that engulf Cinderella have been erroneously detected by the DNR system as dirt and were scrubbed away. The 2005 restoration was riddled with problems, and instead of using it as a base and doing touch-ups/corrections on it like they did with Bambi, they just plopped it as is onto BD.
"Mustard?! Don't let's be silly!"
Old 09-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #235

Jul 2010
Frisco, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cahleb View Post
i can't wait to have the jewerly box in my hands!!!!!
This.

I ordered this for my 2yr daughter who loving refers to Cinderella as "Princess!" and can't leave the house without her "Princess pillow." She won't mind the missing lines.
Displays: 65" 4K Samsung UN65KS8000, 64" Samsung PN64D7000
AVR: Onkyo RZ1100
Speakers: Klipsch RF-7 II fronts, Klipsch RC-64 II center, Klipsch RP-140SA Atmos speakers (x4), Polk Monitor 70 surrounds, SVS PB16 ULTRA x2
Remote: Logitech Harmony Elite w/PS3 Adapter and RF Extender
Sources: DirecTV HR24-500, OPPO BDP-93, SLIed GTX 1080Ti 4K Gaming PC and HTC VIVE & Oculus, Xbone Day One, White PS4, PSVR.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:25 AM   #236

Aug 2011
Sin City, USA

Quote:
What's the point of owning it in HD if the picture quality is crap?
Legs are required for jumpin,' dancin'
Old 09-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #237
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Kiwi View Post
That's pretty horrifying. I was very happy with the DVD restoration even though I was aware it had flaws. Now looking at it in HD, even more flaws emerge and show that the digital inking went out of hand. I'm a bit worried about Peter Pan's BD release since I believe that film's DVD restoration (which will undoubtedly be used for the BD) was done quickly to tie-in with the first Tinker Bell film (which ended up getting post-poned, anyway). What's Cinderella's excuse?

Bambi and Lady and the Tramp's Platinum restorations look amazing in HD for their Diamond Editions (though I understand Bambi was smoothened out a bit), and I hear 101 Dalmatians looks similarly excellent overseas. So how did Cinderella and The Little Mermaid get the short end of the stick when it came to the Platinum restorations done in HD? At least with the latter, we can be sure it'll be scrubbed pristinely for its 3D release. With Cinderella, we're probably not going to see another from-scratch clean up job until the next format. Boo.
Yeah, 101 Dalmatians looks good.. but thatīs only because the Platinum Edition already looked good. Like with Cinderella, they just changed it into HD. Unlike Cinderella, this transfer was done excellently and not crappily.

Jeesh, I can't understand why Disney would willingly do such a crappy job on one of their most iconic movies..
--
Old 09-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #238
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmawing View Post
What's the point of owning it in HD if the picture quality is crap?
It's not crap, the lines and colors are very sharp!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #239
Special Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

True the lines that have not been blown out do to heightened contrast which makes white and super white equal just white. and When the colors are correct they are pretty good except when the colors are just plain wrong like the missing undershirt on the fairy good mother in a few scenes which has been mis collored

Thanks,
T
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5008
Speakers: Front:Polk RTI A7 / Center: Polk CSI A6 / Surround: Polk FXi A6 (X4)
SUB: SVS PB12-NSD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
Game System: PS/3, XBox 360, Wii, PS/2
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
Old 09-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #240
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydrugar View Post
True the lines that have not been blown out do to heightened contrast which makes white and super white equal just white. and When the colors are correct they are pretty good except when the colors are just plain wrong like the missing undershirt on the fairy good mother in a few scenes which has been mis collored

Thanks,
T
Yep. And I'm sorry, but it's just unacceptable. I'm holding off on buying this.
--
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America