Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.91
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Lifeforce (Blu-ray)
$14.59
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 09-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Arrow Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters- Blu Ray 3D

The Blu Ray 3D disc should be available around late April or May 2013 with a January 2013 theatrical release of Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters 3D. It's already on my must have list for the 3D I spotted for the 3D theatrical trailer playing before Resident Evil Retribution 3D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansel_..._Witch_Hunters

The story takes place 15 years or more after the fairy tale where the witch tries to cook them, though this is an rated R horror/action movie. The duo are now focused on taking down the evil witches (not the real life innocent 'witches' from the 1600's).

This is only the 2D trailer, but after seeing Resident Evil Retribution 3D, they showed the 3D trailer to this one and the filmed 3D is strong. It looks very promising for the 3D, and the movie looks cool as well.

Jeremy Renner actually seems to fit this role well with his stone-faced, rarely smiles, Daniel Craig demeanor/attitude.

Gemma Arterton was the lady god from Clash of the Titans 3D, and princess from Prince of Persia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemma_Arterton

Last edited by Zivouhr; 09-15-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
The Blu Ray 3D disc should be available around late April or May 2013 with a January 2013 theatrical release of Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters 3D. It's already on my must have list for the 3D I spotted for the 3D theatrical trailer playing before Resident Evil Retribution 3D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansel_..._Witch_Hunters

The story takes place 15 years or more after the fairy tale where the witch tries to cook them, though this is an rated R horror/action movie. The duo are now focused on taking down the evil witches (not the real life innocent 'witches' from the 1600's).

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters Official Trailer #1 (2012) - Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton Movie HD - YouTube

This is only the 2D trailer, but after seeing Resident Evil Retribution 3D, they showed the 3D trailer to this one and the filmed 3D is strong. It looks very promising for the 3D, and the movie looks cool as well.

Jeremy Renner actually seems to fit this role well with his stone-faced, rarely smiles, Daniel Craig demeanor/attitude.

Gemma Arterton was the lady god from Clash of the Titans 3D, and princess from Prince of Persia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemma_Arterton

I got the 3d trailer for this movie too!!!!!! I'm sooooo looking forward to this movie. Looks like a ton of tongue-in-cheek fun . And I'm really happy to hear you thought the 3d looked strong, cause I thought just about the same way watching it last night and I was thinking "I think zivouhr is gonna love the 3d for this"
Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Yeah, the 3D looks great. I like all the weaponry they have to fight the evil monsters and witches. They left the 3D trailer with a nice cliffhanger, where you're just about to see the giant monster just behind the trees and then they cut to the title.

Can't wait for this one.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Expert Member

Apr 2011
USA

Ooooo this looks good!!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Special Member

May 2010

Cool. Never heard of this until now. Probably going to go see Resident Evil tomorrow. Hope I get to see the 3D trailer for this.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Hopefully they also play it in 3D before Dredd 3D this Friday, Sept 21st, 2012.

They need the 3D trailer online soon.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
Special Member

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Hopefully they also play it in 3D before Dredd 3D this Friday, Sept 21st, 2012.

They need the 3D trailer online soon.
Saw the the trailer. Looks like it could be one of the most fun 3D action movies yet. Can't wait.

Also saw the trailer for Dredd in 3D. Gah, I've never seen such terrible looking 3D. And never had 3D hurt my eyes so bad as that trailer did. Everything was all wonky looking. I don't know if it's actually a conversion or what. But to me it seemed like a conversion where the depth was pushed way farther than a conversion is capable of being pushed. Putting a huge strain on the eyes, and making everything look terribly off. If the entire movie looks like that there is no way I would want to watch it in 3D. It does look like a cool movie though.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3D View Post
Saw the the trailer. Looks like it could be one of the most fun 3D action movies yet. Can't wait.

Also saw the trailer for Dredd in 3D. Gah, I've never seen such terrible looking 3D. And never had 3D hurt my eyes so bad as that trailer did. Everything was all wonky looking. I don't know if it's actually a conversion or what. But to me it seemed like a conversion where the depth was pushed way farther than a conversion is capable of being pushed. Putting a huge strain on the eyes, and making everything look terribly off. If the entire movie looks like that there is no way I would want to watch it in 3D. It does look like a cool movie though.
Sounds like the left and right frames might have been reversed, which inverts the 3D. Have you ever watched 3D with your glasses upside down?

Also, there's really no parallax limit for 3D conversion, and Dredd was filmed with Red Epic 3D cameras.
Vizio E3D420VX 3DTV, 160GB PS3, Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 Home Theater, Sony MDR-DS7500 7.1 Headphones

Last edited by BleedOrange11; 09-19-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #9
Special Member

Jul 2007

Something tells me Paramount should just cut their losses and release this turkey DTV. There's a reason, just like GI Joe 2, that this film will end up on the shelf for nearly a year. (I believe the un-official reason for the delay was to better capitalize on Renner's popularity. but the screenings went horribly... Just like G.I. Joe 2.)

The original trailer for this film, late last year, was a mess. The new one is an improvement, but they better start playing up its comedy elements, or this will tank harder than Last Action Hero.

Considering Will Farrel and Adam McKay's records when they're just producing, this has fail written all over it. (And this comes from someone that liked Casa Di Me Padre, which made about $2.)

fitprod
Old 09-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
Special Member

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
Sounds like the left and right frames might have been reversed, which inverts the 3D. Have you ever watched 3D with your glasses upside down?
No I've not tried that. You mean maybe a problem with the glasses? No, everything after that trailer looked fine. Including Resident Evil.

Quote:
Also, there's really no parallax limit for 3D conversion,
Well I'm no tech don't know what that means exactly. But I have noticed with even the best quality smoothest looking conversions. At times when they try to push the depth it starts looking a bit wonky and giving eye strain. And the Dredd trailer I saw looked similar to that, only a lot worse.

Quote:
and Dredd was filmed with Red Epic 3D cameras.
That's good to know. Hopefully it was just a glitch in the system and the movie doesn't really look that bad.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #11
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Quote:
No I've not tried that. You mean maybe a problem with the glasses? No, everything after that trailer looked fine. Including Resident Evil.

Well I'm no tech don't know what that means exactly. But I have noticed with even the best quality smoothest looking conversions. At times when they try to push the depth it starts looking a bit wonky and giving eye strain. And the Dredd trailer I saw looked similar to that, only a lot worse.
It might have been an error by some technician and only Dredd's trailer had the left and right frames swapped (i.e. The image that was supposed to go to your right eye went to your left eye and vice versa.). If this was the case, you could have viewed the trailer normally by turning your glasses upside down. If you want to test this yourself, you can watch some normal 3D content with your glasses upside down and see if you get a similar wonky-looking depth result.

By no parallax (a.k.a. image separation) limit for 3D conversions, I meant that the artist can push the depth as far as they want. There's no actual limit for how strong the depth can be.
Vizio E3D420VX 3DTV, 160GB PS3, Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 Home Theater, Sony MDR-DS7500 7.1 Headphones
Old 09-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #12
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
Something tells me Paramount should just cut their losses and release this turkey DTV. There's a reason, just like GI Joe 2, that this film will end up on the shelf for nearly a year. (I believe the un-official reason for the delay was to better capitalize on Renner's popularity. but the screenings went horribly... Just like G.I. Joe 2.)

The original trailer for this film, late last year, was a mess. The new one is an improvement, but they better start playing up its comedy elements, or this will tank harder than Last Action Hero.

Considering Will Farrel and Adam McKay's records when they're just producing, this has fail written all over it. (And this comes from someone that liked Casa Di Me Padre, which made about $2.)

fitprod
I actually heard that recent screenings for the movie were really positive. Read it on Collider.com. Should still be up there as their news story on with the new release date for the movie or the MPAA rating.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #13
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
It might have been an error by some technician and only Dredd's trailer had the left and right frames swapped (i.e. The image that was supposed to go to your right eye went to your left eye and vice versa.). If this was the case, you could have viewed the trailer normally by turning your glasses upside down. If you want to test this yourself, you can watch some normal 3D content with your glasses upside down and see if you get a similar wonky-looking depth result.

By no parallax (a.k.a. image separation) limit for 3D conversions, I meant that the artist can push the depth as far as they want. There's no actual limit for how strong the depth can be.
I also noticed when I tried to view the second 3d trailer for Resident Evil Retribution on YouTube that I had to manually swap the frames I thnk from left/right to right/ left cause the 3d trailer I was watching looked completely messed up and also looked like it had been uploaded with the left/right images in reverse

Last edited by mseeley; 09-19-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:19 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:

Also saw the trailer for Dredd in 3D. Gah, I've never seen such terrible looking 3D. And never had 3D hurt my eyes so bad as that trailer did. Everything was all wonky looking.
Quote:

Also, there's really no parallax limit for 3D conversion, and Dredd was filmed with Red Epic 3D cameras.
I haven't seen the 3D trailer yet, but great to hear it was filmed in 3D. Yeah, I've tried watching 3D just as a test in reverse frames and anything ends up looking horrible and 'wonky' as suggested, so I agree that it's likely an error in the presentation of the file, either by the one who submitted the file for the theaters, or of the theater somehow mixed up the Left Camera = Left side formatting display when merging the trailer's back to back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post

fitprod
That's what they were saying about Amazing Spiderman too... I wonder who is going to these screenings any how. People who didn't pay for a ticket and probably don't even like the genre, since horror/action/Rated R movies are a niche genre compared to major action flicks.

GI Joe looks good, enjoyed the first one's action. GI Joe 2 delayed from this summer 2012 to early 2013 for the addition of 3D. Hopefully the 3D conversion is good/strong or it was a waste of time.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #15
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseeley View Post
I also noticed when I tried to view the second 3d trailer on YouTube that I had to manually swap the frames I thnk from left/right to right/ left cause the 3d trailer I was watching looked completely messed up and also looked like it had been uploaded with the left/right images in reverse
That has happened to me as well. Is Dredd's 3D trailer on YouTube?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #16
Special Member

May 2010

Quote:
Ah, I see. I'll have to try that.

Quote:
Kind of figured that's what you were talking about. I understand that. But from what I've seen anyway, there seems to be a limit to how strong they can make it and still keep it looking nice. That's what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseeley View Post
I also noticed when I tried to view the second 3d trailer on YouTube that I had to manually swap the frames I thnk from left/right to right/ left cause the 3d trailer I was watching looked completely messed up and also looked like it had been uploaded with the left/right images in reverse
Good to know it wasn't just me then. They aught to fix that theatrical trailer if they want to get people into the 3D showing. I'll assume the movie itself won't look like that. That's good to know, because it looks like it will be really cool.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:52 AM   #17
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Quote:
Ah, I see. I'll have to try that.
When you do this, look for objects that are supposed to be in the background actually appearing in front of foreground objects. Swapping the frames, maintains monocular depth cues (like occlusion), but inverts the binocular depth cues (stereopsis). It sends mixed signals to the brain about where objects are appearing in space, which causes the eye strain.

There were actually reports of entire theatrical showings of Avatar 3D being played with the frames accidentally reversed, and audiences watched the whole thing without complaining to management, just thinking that was how the 3D was supposed to look.

Quote:
Kind of figured that's what you were talking about. I understand that. But from what I've seen anyway, there seems to be a limit to how strong they can make it and still keep it looking nice. That's what I meant.
Okay, that makes sense. Usually, the stronger they push the depth, the more "digital cleanup" work they have to do to fill in blank spaces where they moved objects around, and the more that they stretch human faces and such, the more warped they appear.

Last edited by BleedOrange11; 09-19-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
There were actually reports of entire theatrical showings of Avatar 3D being played with the frames accidentally reversed, and audiences watched the whole thing with complaining to management, just thinking that was how the 3D was supposed to look.
Sounds like a theater that was just learning the equipment back then. They probably tested it and thought it was playing correctly as weird as it looked.

Even so, one of my local theaters is not too swift with basic stuff like sound, which I had to tell management twice to raise the volume because I couldn't even hear the actor's talking it was so quiet. Some theaters have some real slackers working there who don't care about a quality presentation.

I can think of the times the movie would start playing, and it was either squashed screen ratio (A Simple Plan movie in 1998 or so, independent theater), one screen had yellow all over on one half (Coraline 3D, Cinemark), movie starts playing with no picture, just sound, movie doesn't play at all (Behind Enemy Lines), (Brotherhood of the Wolf- at least until they fixed it a half hour later, turned out to be a good martial arts movie).

I checked, no 3D trailer yet for Hansel and Gretel online yet...
Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #19
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
That has happened to me as well. Is Dredd's 3D trailer on YouTube?
No not yet unfortunately . Sorry if I caused confusion with my statement. I meant to say I had the problem with the Resident Evil Retribution second 3d trailer on YouTube. I'm having the worst problems with typos today lol
Old 09-22-2012, 02:55 AM   #20
Special Member

May 2010

Quote:
When you do this, look for objects that are supposed to be in the background actually appearing in front of foreground objects. Swapping the frames, maintains monocular depth cues (like occlusion), but inverts the binocular depth cues (stereopsis). It sends mixed signals to the brain about where objects are appearing in space, which causes the eye strain.
Okay, I'll check that out. Are my active shutter glasses even going to work in reverse? Or am I going to have to try it in the theater with the passive glasses?

Quote:
There were actually reports of entire theatrical showings of Avatar 3D being played with the frames accidentally reversed, and audiences watched the whole thing without complaining to management, just thinking that was how the 3D was supposed to look.
Damn, that's awful. What an introduction to 3D! I feel terrible for anyone that happened to. Especially for having it happen during AVATAR.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies